Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2014 - 2015

Poster: A snowHead
@Ricklovesthepowder, I'm hedging my bets on 20th March - there's gonna be a megadump on the 18th to finish the season off. wink
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@allanm, no January not March! In the weather thread, a very good looking snowfall map has just been uploaded. Praying that it comes off!!!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
^^ Yes, fingers crossed for anyone going over soon.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Ricklovesthepowder, I'd be happy with half the current forecast
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Don't read much into snow-forecast.com and the likes, for the next three days it is likely to be somewhere near ' but anything further on is, well, not much more than guesswork. IME.
It's Sunday, they're forecasting a dump on Thursday / Friday, my bet is that will be downgraded as the week progresses.

But like your say @Waffle half of the forecast would be good.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We are staying in la plagne from the 16th, my husbands birthday occurs when we are away. We have discovery passes booked and I am planning on taking him over to les arcs for a day and getting some lunch, looking for any recommendations for a nice lunch on the slopes. Ideally looking for decent food with a nice view, does not have to be table service, just good food at a decent price!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@roguemazza, Have a look here
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Doh, I must have missed that thread with all the Christmas season moving around! Embarassed
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
^^ Le Soliet, on the way down to Villaroger, would be my first choice for 'a day out'
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@allanm, I'll second Soliet
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Been having a look at other weather charts I used when I was sailing a lot and the situation certainly looks interesting, but you never know for sure!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Slightly off Topic - but i know there are a number of SH in Les Arcs at the moment.

I need to hire approx 6x sets of ski touring equipment in Les Arcs. (19-23 Jan) The interweb isnt much help as i can only find the usual Piste equipment.

Is there a 'local' or a SH in resort that can point me in the right direction/ arrange this for a 'finders fee'

Much Obliged.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Had a nice ski round today but it is icy and crunchy in most places but at least there are no lift queues and it was nice and sunny. Let's hope the forecast for more snow is right.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
^^ Yes according to SCGB snow report for today.... "The best conditions can be found on the upper slopes".

So... now you know. wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We headed over to La plagne for a little explore today and managed to find some powder from last night. Just a little, but it made the trip worth the effort.

Spent the day crusing around and finding little places to ride. Hoped to get on the best area of the Bellecote Bowl, but it did not open in time so headed to Champagny for a late lunch then home via the forest. Not such a good idea.

Best wait for more snow before trying that forest route again.

The pistes across both Les Arcs and La Plagne sides today are mostly hard packed and in places icy. But after the sun had been out a while, some of the higher runs were nice to ride. Be careful coming into lifts as it is boiler plate in places. Best thing was the small sections of powder still around if you know where to look. A good day was had by all!

Tomorrow we hope to find more little spots. Meeting top of Arpette at 9.45am for anyone that wants to join us!

Photos for today are posted here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.777488275660974.1073741844.195692797173861&type=3&uploaded=29
latest report
Guys whats open in les arcs now? I Want to do a freestyle snowboard week anywhere really on feb 7th and ucpa have one. Isthe snowpark open?

Would prefer val thorens as it has 3 parks but its sold out unfortunately... Sad
ski holidays
So is more snow needed out there at the minute? Is there really grass and rocks sticking through on the piste?
snow conditions
I looked at the La Plagne Webcams and the two lower level ones did have areas of 'brown'.

However, I also found a 16 day forecast that has it snowing pretty much every day from Monday onwards! How much credibility I'd give that is low given how quickly things can change though.
ski holidays
2 days ago there was about 45cm forecast for Friday, now there is about 2. Weather forecasts are playing with my heart strings! rolling eyes
latest report
Tell me about it!

Have a look at this and click on the 8-16 day thingy.

http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twoforecasts/forski.aspx?resort=Les+Arcs&country=France
snow report
@SnowSquirrell, Yep. This often happens on snow forecast and it's not been updating a lot grrrrrrr
snow report
Yeah. I don 't invest too much reliance on them, but 45cm to 2 in a matter of hours is heartbreaking!

I am however a piste snowboarder (I love a cheeky bit of off piste, before I knew of the dangers, and I'm currently not suitably trained to spot and manage those dangers, so with that in mind I stick to the pistes!) and I'm sure from a piste perspective those in Les Arcs will be fine for what I want.

Are the runs to Villaroger open?
snow report
Yeah. The Aiguille Rouge is open
snow report
@SnowSquirrell, I was wondering this. I hope they are becasue I am really looking forward to the decent from the glacier all the way down. Never been to Paradiski before. Hope to god there is some more snow coming. Fly out 2 weeks today.
snow report
@Ricklovesthepowder, They always work hard to keep the Aiguille Rouge open, with it being 'the run' to do. I bet it's really icy in parts. Keeping the snow dance going. Surface pressure charts indicate that something is going to happen this and next week. Fingers crossed!
latest report
@Waffle, constantly dancing!!! Just 30cm to freshen things up would be good.
ski holidays
Yeah. I am more concerned about splatting on my face from skittering off a lift onto ice, than anything else at the moment! Come on snow!!!
ski holidays
I never did the full Aiguille Rouge run when I last went to Les Arcs. Not sure why! Looking forward to it though.

I fly out Saturday. Still dancing!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ive been constantly dancing since about November - driving down Friday and Saturday for next week. Ive watched the weather forecast change from heavy snow Fri/Sat/Sun to sweet f.a during the last two days with extreme disappointment but I'm still really excited about Les Arcs as Ive never been there before - at the risk of sounding like Brucie, Tess and Claudia.......keeeeeeeeeeeep dancin'
ski holidays
There are loads of us in Paradiski next week!
latest report
Save me some snow for the week after.

Please can you keep this thread updated when you are out there?
ski holidays
Hey everyone, forget all the doom and gloom! Take a look at what we were doing today!

WHAT A DAY!! it turned out to be. With blue sky and little wind a small group of us headed over to the Bellecote Glacier and as luck would have it got there just after they opened the Traverse Chair so we could get into the bowl.

That was us set for the day!

Managed to put fresh tracks down a couple of routes and finished off with a trip over the back onto the North Face and down to the cross country course in mostly untracked snow the whole way. My first of many North Face routes this season I hope. The track out was ok although the snow was very mixed lower down. Once back in Peisey we had a nice cruise back across Les Arcs and home.

The photos for today are now posted. Take a look at the North Face of the Bellecote. Very nice!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.777488275660974.1073741844.195692797173861&type=3

Remember a forecast is just a forecast. It changes all the time. Better to wait until just before you come out and keep looking on here for the live details each day or over on my facebook page! Keep Happy Very Happy Toofy Grin Twisted Evil

If anyone wants to meet up and ride some of these special places. Send me a PM on here or better still over on my facebook page.
snow report
Hi all, after quite a few years of snowboarding in Les Arcs, finally figured we should get a guide and head off piste (more than the normal messing about in the near piste!)

Can anyone recommend any local snowboarding guides who could take a group of 4 'middle aged' snowboarders off the beaten track for a day?

My group heads out on the 6th Feb for a 4 day weekend trip.
snow report
I know a few. But you might be to late to book them for Feb. Send me a PM here or over on my facebook page with your contact details and I will try and help. Otherwise just contact ESF in the station of Les Arcs where you are staying and book through them. They run the guides office in Les Arcs. (Links on the first page of this thread.)
ski holidays
Looks awesome @snowcrazy

I'm out in la plagne from the 15th and as a learning intermediate who sticks to the piste or the nice well skied bumps right next door, I'm not worried at all about the snow conditions.

There is snow on the pistes and the altitude is high, wouldn't say no to a dump or 10 before we arrive but I have no fear that we won't have a great time skiing. Really looking forward to skiing and the next set of improvements from my booked lessons.

@Ricklovesthepowder we have been in la plagne the week you are going for the last 2 years, 2 years ago the snow was mega, last year there was much less snow but still great conditions on piste, it will be fine and there is still loads of time for a nice top up or two!
latest report
@Richie_S, I have used both Arc Adventures (http://www.arc-aventures.com/) and Bureax des guides (http://www.guidesdesarcs.com/) for guides in arc1800, and they have been good. I personally preferred the Arc Adventures Guide as he was more talkative on the lifts. ESF in Arc 1600 have also done some good off piste courses.
latest report
Right, I'm getting really excited now - 2.5 weeks to go. Snowcrazy's pics look great and today looks from the webcams to be a gorgeous sunny day!

Does anyone know if there is still night skiing at Arc 1600? I've found a few references to this online, but nothing that recent, so am not sure if it happens any more.
snow conditions
@catclaires, The Combettes piste was closed at the start of the season so there was no night skiing. It did operate last year and will again this year I imagine.
ski holidays
Another Blue Sky day today and more fun to be had in the back country!

We started off from Arc 1600 and headed over to the Vanoise Express picking up others on the way. Then once more it was a quick dash up to the Bellecote Glacier and time to find more good lines.

The Bowl did not let us down and we made more fresh tracks on a couple of routes before heading towards the Frilon Bowl and all the way back to the Vanoise Express after another great days riding.

I also stopped off at the 'Snowpark' which I am pleased to report has now started to be built and has some small jumps and rails etc. with the bigger jumps still under construction.

The Mille 8 boarder cross and jumps area is also now open and looked good. Nice for the kids to race down. They were even running a night slalom for the students tonight.

Despite the variable conditions 'on piste' with hard packed icy runs in the busy places, small stones coming through in some places and thin patches starting to appear (we really do need some more snow soon!). The snow higher on the slopes is still holding up well and 'on piste' is enjoyable to ride.

The 'off piste' is very mixed, but if you know the right places you can still have loads of safe fun!

Take a look at the photos for today. I shall try and get them posted tonight over on the Les Arcs Winter facebook page in the Jan 2015 Album. Enjoy!!

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter

For anyone coming out this weekend, remember you can rent your skis and snowboards from Polaire Star Ski and Snowboard rental shop by the bottom of the funicular. They also let you store your gear overnight, sell all those extra things you have forgotten to bring for the day and do excellent repairs when you have hit a few stones.

http://www.polairestar.com/

Yes, there should be night skiing in Arc 1600, not sure if it has started yet. I will ask. Puzzled
snow report
@snowcrazy, thank you for the updates. Is there snow down in resorts or has it all gone? Current snow depth in lowest pistes?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy