Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2014 - 2015

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, does anyone have a recommendation for ski hire in 1950 ? We've used Spirit and Manoir Savoie in the past but I might be looking to try and buy this year and both of these looked to be pretty much just rental bases.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@mikeh, I used Sport 2000 (I forget the actual shop name, but just right of the waffle place) last week for the kids - felt the service was better than spirit - no idea if they do try buy, but might be worth a call.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
WHAT A DAY!! Worth the effort of having a crazy drive in the blizzard yesterday and arriving so late in the early hours of this morning!

Made it to the lifts as everything opened this morning and had fresh untracked powder in ok vis for most of the morning! Awesome! The fresh snow was well above the knees and sometimes waist deep! But you had to be careful where you went to stay safe. There are still plenty of rocks and holes about!

Rode around in the Arc 1600, then Arc 1800 and over to Arc 2000 bowl, then headed down to Peisey for lunch and a quick trip over the Vanoise Express for a blast around the Les Coches area before going home with arching legs. The pistes everywhere have been freshened up well by the new snow and most runs and lifts are now open in Les Arcs unless closed today for safety reasons (avalanche protection).

However, with the heavy traffic on piste and more people arriving everyday, it is going to get busy and the snow is already becoming hard packed and boiler plate in busy places. Take care, it is easy to make a mistake. Read on to see what happened!

I forgot how a few days rest can hurt the legs. Had a great head plant when I got caught in a hole which was funny afterwards, but not at the time. Paul had to come and help me up! A first for him! Thanks mate!

But I still think the pistes when so busy are more dangerous. I was taken out by a beginner that came out of nowhere! Ouch! But we were both OK. Think I shall stick to the off piste!

Roll on tomorrow and more powder!

I shall post some photos of today shortly. Enjoy!

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter

If you need to rent ski or snowboard gear drop into Polaire Star Ski Shop at the bottom of the Funicular on your way up to Les Arcs http://www.polairestar.com/ . You can also check out 'Charly's Cafe' at the same time, right next door. They have some great food and drinks. .Open everyday from early until 7pm.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mikeh wrote:
Hi, does anyone have a recommendation for ski hire in 1950 ? We've used Spirit and Manoir Savoie in the past but I might be looking to try and buy this year and both of these looked to be pretty much just rental bases.

+1 for me, including 2000. Out in 2 weeks and looking to buy a new board but might hire and try 1st so happy for any recommendations as to best shop/hire place in 2000/1950.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Try equilibres, up in 2000: http://www.equilibres-arc2000.fr/index.php/en/

OK, you have to get the Cabriolet, but we think it worth it , both cost wise and time wise. And if you phone ahead, they usually give you an even better deal.

Also, servicing is good value.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Looks glorious on the webcams this morning.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
+1 for equilibres. Used them a few years ago and they couldn't do enough to make sure I was happy with the skis and it was icy so I took the skis in twice to get the edges done. They also waxed them both times. I think the owners name is thiabalt_ not sure if I spelt that correctly.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Photo's for today are now posted! Powder everywhere! A real treat after all the grass skiing we have been doing!! Enjoy!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.763987427011059.1073741842.195692797173861&type=3

You need to scroll down towards the end of the album to see the ones for today! Sorry know time to upload them here today. Up very early tomorrow. Time for bed, Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For those of us that want to hook up in the Paradiski area around the 11th-18th Jan, PM me your mobile numbers and I'll set up a WhatsApp group.

I'll post the same in the La Plagne and Montalbert threads as well so I don't miss anyone.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Who are you Puzzled best for people to link up by pm on here or from my facebook page les arcs winter until we know who eachother are. See link below.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
MogulMonkey wrote:
+1 for equilibres. Used them a few years ago and they couldn't do enough to make sure I was happy with the skis and it was icy so I took the skis in twice to get the edges done. They also waxed them both times. I think the owners name is thiabalt_ not sure if I spelt that correctly.

Used him for servicing but does he have a wide range of stock if buying, its a tiny shop?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
a wide range of stock if buying, its a tiny shop?

As many on here say about boots - it's not about how many, it's about having the right one...

Saying that, I'd be interested in any feedback you are able to give - you won't know until you ask, and if the answer is rubbish it won't take long, if the answer is positive, it will be worthwhile.
So it would be good to hear a first hand experience.
I do know a few 1950 owners have bought there in the past.

@MogulMonkey,
Thibaud and Sebastien have taken over the shop after previous owner (whose name I shamefully admit escapes me) retired. They used to work for him, and took on the business.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Arctic Roll, Me become a guinea pig for a 300-400 euro potential mistake, you funding this project wink Laughing Buying a new board in 2 weeks will depend on the weather, if there is some fresh then we will board if not I will wait till we are there in March and buy the same board for 30% less.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@thefatcontroller, Laughing

I meant if you go in and say "Can I buy a board?" and they say "There's this one. Sir. Choose it or lose it". you'll know to walk away pdq. If on the other hand they say " we've an extensive range matched to your size and riding capabilties, come down to the warehouse and try a few out"...

Anyway, hope there is snow for you - we're out on 24th, so more dumps between now and then are always welcome.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Arctic Roll, wink Pulling your leg. I have bought boots from the shop in 1950 'Precision Sports' and they were very helpful. Might have a think about them. Went to the shop across the street from them, small place, and asked about skis. When we mentioned we were looking for multi terrain skis, he impolitely told us that they deal with freeriders and nearly threw us out the shop for using such foul worlds like 'piste skiing' in his shop.
ski holidays
@snowcrazy, AsretrixTG and I have already linked up up via PM last week. We're both staying in different ice and fire places on that week and have since linked with a couple of others. He's just being helpful to those of us buddying up by creating a simple texting hub as it were. Thanks for putting up all the posts and pics by the way. It's been great to see the snow finally arrive. I hope your collision hasn't had any lasting effects.
snow report
Friends are in Vallandry this week and have been having the most amazing time in near perfect conditions. Definitely wish we were there!!
snow conditions
HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone!!

Hope you are all having a great day! Sorry I have not been posting updates for the last few days, but have been at the BARSC races in Tignes with the Kids. Some great results for our local based group including 3 Gold medals and 3 Silver medals. Well done to all those that took part. Photos to come later today!

In Tignes the sun has been shinning and the wind had dropped today making it warmer and a nice way to finish the races. The pistes in Tignes Val Claret were busy and had lift queues most of the week, sometimes quite big. But the pistes have held up well if you stay high. There are rocks lower down and the off piste is limited.

TOMORROW! Back in Les Arcs!
For anyone interested in joining some of us for a social ski (snowboarders also welcome), we are leaving from the Vaonise Express at 10am, then heading over towards Mont Albert on the La Plagne side for lunch. Should be a nice day and a good way to finish your holiday with a tasty lunch! All are welcome! Hope to see many of you! Just turn up by the entrance of the VE ready to leave with a ski pass giving access to La Plagne.

@Graham Warren, Thanks for the heads up on that. Think it would be good if he introduced himself a bit before starting something like this across a number of threads. Nowdays you cannot be to careful. Even on a thread like this. Think I still prefer to get to know people before sharing personal info via WhatsApp! which can give access to other details on your mobile if you are not aware of your personal security settings! My advice to everyone on this issue is still to get to know someone in real life before sharing mobile access like WhatsApp. Safest way to make first contact is by PM on here or over on Facebook.
latest report
@snowcrazy, No probs. yeah I must be careful about settings on the mobile, though I'll only use data apps like that through wifi as and when needed. I know AsterixTG is chomping at the bit to get out there so it is just over enthusiasm on his part. I don't know him other than on the forum but I made a point of stalking him through the posts search on here before giving out my number. Seems like a really nice guy btw and a helluva lot more experienced than me so I look forward to getting a few pointers when we're out there. It'll be cool meeting other snowheads. It's my first time buddying up and I'm really looking forward to it. I hope to meet your good self too if you'll still be out there that week.
10 days and counting. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I can't stop obsessing with the weather! I told myself that once I book I'll stop looking at anything; it will be what it will be.

However, first day back to work and I've spent most of it hovering on the webcams trying to convince myself that this warmer patch forecast will be okay and won't ruin anything. I need to sort my life out Laughing Laughing rolling eyes
snow report
@snowcrazy, We're good. I understand you're caution.

@Graham Warren, thanks for the kind comments.
ski holidays
@AsterixTG, Good to see another post from you. It would be really helpful to many of us if you could introduce yourself on here or by PM so we know who you are as a real person. Would be good to meet up to do some riding when you are next out in Les Arcs, but think it would be helpful to know something about you as you are asking for personal details Very Happy via an app. Toofy Grin
snow report
Time for a weather, snow and travel update for all those going home or coming out today!

After the madness of my journey last saturday I thought I would help to calm your fears. (Right now it is still dark outside! Might go back to bed after posting this now everyone has left to start driving home!)

The main roads are mostly clear of snow to Bourg and even up to the stations, but there is ice in some places and it would be better to have your chains handy in case you need them until you get on the clear roads.

The sky is overcast, but not as cold as it was earlier in the week and I do not think it will snow very much today, if at all (hope I am wrong!) I want loads and loads more snow! But maybe not until family and friends are safely out of the mountains.

They have forecast a mix of a little rain lower down with snow on the hills. But not very much so we shall have to all wait and see what the day brings.

I hope everyone going home or arriving today has a safe and easy journey. It is an official 'Black Traffic' day according to French radio just now so just stay calm and hope your car does not overheat as mine did last weekend. Good luck and stay safe!
ski holidays
NOW for the Snow conditions update for the whole Paradiski Ski Area for those like me, lucky enough to still be here! Very Happy or just coming out!

Yesterday, we skied across the whole Paradiski domain. Starting from Arc 1600 to MontAlbert for lunch going via Champagny and the Verdons Sud Chair. We had a great lunch in the Foropet Resturant as always (I recommend this place to everyone) and then at 2pm headed back to Les Arcs. With the queues we have been having this week you need 1hr 40min to get back to the VE safely and another 50min to get to either Arc 1600 or Arc 1950. We did not go to Villaroger, but you would need to add on another 30mins for this section. (based on intermediate skiers).

On the way back we went via La Roches, Plagne 2000, Plagne 1800, Plagne Bellecote and the Les Coches pistes. On the Les Arcs side we also covered the main Peisey Vallandry piste to and back from the Vanoise Express. The piste into Arc 1800 and for some across to Arc 1600 and Arc 1950.

Overall the pistes in most higher places were holding up well after the heavy snowfall last week, but do now need a top up after the heavy traffic of the past week. The pistes lower down across the whole area are starting to show worn patches and rocks and some patches of grass are starting to come through again. On all pistes there were icy patches and many of the busy areas were boiler plate or very hard packed higher up and softer lower down where the sun had done it's work.

The refreeze overnight will make some areas very icy first thing so take care!

The off piste is very mixed. Plenty of rocks and only thin cover so you need to take great care. You can still find pockets of good snow in sheltered places, but most safer areas are well tracked with plenty of moguls eveywhere.

Hope this helps and does not put to bad a picture on the conditions for you. Bottom line!

YOU CAN STILL RIDE to most places and with care will not damage your gear, BUT we do need more snow again soon! Toofy Grin Evil or Very Mad Toofy Grin
latest report
Has anyone any experience or recommendations for snowboarding lessons in 2000? My girlfriend needs some refresher lessons or a weeks worth of improver lessons but would ideally like these in the morning (most snowboarding ones appear to be PM).

Can't make up my mind whether to book in advance or on the transfer...
snow report
@SnowSquirrell, Had good reports from friends last week who used John-Paul McCarthy of New Gen, who've just opened an office this season in 2000 - but couldn't comment if these were am or pm

http://www.skinewgen.com
snow report
SnowSquirrell wrote:
Has anyone any experience or recommendations for snowboarding lessons in 2000? My girlfriend needs some refresher lessons or a weeks worth of improver lessons but would ideally like these in the morning (most snowboarding ones appear to be PM).

Can't make up my mind whether to book in advance or on the transfer...

We used Evolution in 2000 last year for lessons, they were crap. We used Julien Cormons from ESF in 2000 for skiing lesson with our kids, he was very, very good. i know he does boarding too. My experience of every instructor we have used out of Spirit 1950 has been good.
snow conditions
Just arrived in 1600 and most definitely raining!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Arctic Roll, @thefatcontroller, Thank you both for your feedback - very interesting about Evolution as I was hovering over their webpage earlier. I'll do a bit more digging and go from there.

@MCL, Bad times indeed.
ski holidays
Just posted the photos from yesterday. Did not take any today and it is now raining outside! Yuk!! Shall have to wait and see what comes later. I have just heard it is raining at Arc 2000 and across all stations. Take care if you are on the road! Hope the rain turns to snow soon!!

Photos in the new JAN 2015 Album. Check out the conditions right now. https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/photos_stream?tab=photos_albums
ski holidays
Conditions Update for today in Les Arcs. Sunday.

The rain kept going most of the night right across the ski area. It turned to snow late in the night, but only about 3cm - 4cm was reported (the Tourist Office is reporting 10cms, but I was told only 3 or 4Cms. Guess it depends where you measure it from!Very Happy). There are high winds this morning and many lifts are closed right now. Some may open later, but you will need to check the online list for updated news or ask at the lift station.

The Vis is still quite bad, although it is forcast to get better later in the day. Best to stay in the tree areas until the vis improves, but the snow will be sticky.

Think I shall have the morning off. Those brave enough to go out. Have a nice morning!

http://www.arc1950.com/en/experience/live-from-the-village.html

http://m.webcam-hd.com/lesarcs

Hope this info helps!

PS. Just heard it is starting to clear so the forcast of better vis in the afternoon could be correct. Hope so!
ski holidays
Thanks for the updates - doing snowdances every morning and evening so I'm doing my bit to help Smile
snow conditions
Snow-forecast has just gone mental for snow for Friday - 1, 15 and 23cm apparently. IF that happens, I'll be very happy, albeit nervous for transfers!

I'm not holding my breath though - if this forum has taught me anything it's that weather is variable!!!

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Les-Arcs/6day/mid
ski holidays
Snow wasn't too bad today above 1800, below was sorbet, ice and grass. Few of the reds into the lower levels were shut because of lack of snow. Nice to be here though! Smile
snow report
Am hoping the snowforecast is wrong and the snow arrives before fri! Skied over lots of grass and bare patches today so imagine this will just get worse as week goes on without new snow. Seemed better higher up- plan for tomorrow- stay high!
ski holidays
Update from this afternoon. It was a very mixed day. Raining in the valley most of the morning and a few gaps in the clouds in the afternoon, but closed in again now and wet.

Up top it was reported to be very wet at times with high winds delaying opening of many lifts until later in the day. The rain was falling as high as 2300m at times, but then changed to sleet and snow. As much as 5cm's fresh snow during the last 24hrs. Not the big dump we had all hoped for, but maybe more will fall tonight.

Higher up the sun managed to break through at times and the wind weakened. By the time the lifts closed a few more cm's of snow had fallen down to around 1800m, but it was still sticky. Overall the mix of rain and snow made the snow depths remain more or less the same in many places. But the wind has done it's worst!

Tomorrow the sun is due to come out so I shall see how much it has changed tomorrow. For those driving out, the roads are ok right now, but will become icy if the temp drops tonight. Still wet outside down in the valley, but the main roads right now are clear of snow.
snow report
On 6 days to go till we arrive in 2000 but just to make the last week even more painful I have a 5am start tomorrow on the M4. Will make not working the week after even more pleasurable.
ski holidays
@SnowSquirrell, I saw that after rain in the forecast last night Shocked The 9 day forecast includes another dump. Had a bit of a hyper moment, then refused to talk about it in case the prediction changes! Heading out on the 16th and can't wait.
ski holidays
@Waffle, I'm there on the 10th, so if this dump happens, it would be amazing for me. But I'm trying to ignore it as its a way out and those with superior knowledge on here don't have much confidence in it yet. But I can hope......!
snow conditions
Doing snow dances for 20th.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy