Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2014 - 2015

Poster: A snowHead
Good news and then BAD NEWS!!!

On Wednesday night it snowed. 13cm across most of the resort I was told by the ADS..

This morning it was good fun and we skied fresh tracks unil around 12 noon in the Arc 2000 bowl, but the clouds came in and the rain gods got their revenge. By midday it was quite warm making the new snow heavy and sticky. Then it started raining even at 2300m which made conditions even worse.

After trying a little longer, we headed over to Arc 1800 and the new restaurant last season above Mille 8 area to the right of the Transarc for lunch. Had a very nice lunch and then after a wet ski down to Arc 1800, went back over to Arc 1950 for a coffee and home early for once.

I think we all enjoyed the morning. I know I had fun in the fresh snow before it became to heavy. BUT most of the new snow has now been destroyed by the warmer temperatures and rain so unless it freezes tonight and makes a good base for future snow falls we are likely to be back to the conditions we had two days ago very quickly.

We still really need some new snow SOON! But for all those coming out. YES, you can still ski so all is not lost!

In Les Arcs, they plan to open the links between most stations by Saturday and the higher areas, but maybe not the glacier.

They hope to have all pistes with snow canons open, but this does depend on the temperatures dropping again. Right now they have made a real effort to have good pistes and they were still ok to ski today even after the rain.

More details to follow tomorrow. Keep up the snow dances!!

@woodpecker, well spotted with the new webcam. It gives some good views.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's not looking promising according to
Snowforecast.com Sad
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's almost time to start packing. Judgign by the weather forecast, I'll be needing shorts and a T-shirt Smile.

I oscillate between feeling worried (when I read the forecasts) and relieved (when I read the reports from @snowcrazy). So, I am going to just listen to snowcrazy. Given that I do not know my way around the mountain, and there are limited runs open, I think we will definitely take up the offer to meet up. It'll be nice to meet people, and it'll give me an opportunity to orient myself.

@snowcrazy, I'll drop you a PM.

See you in the mountains!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just been sent the lifts/pistes opening plan from 20 December - follow this link

http://us4.campaign-archive2.com/?u=9181f6992a1ea5a8b82481d46&id=262a30060e&e=9d4c607417

They say more will be opened up, and lift pass price will be reduced. The only sector they won't open is Villaroger. When I was in Peisey a few days ago it was grass at the bottom - but they say that the Peisey lift will open, but Vallandry will be pedestrian only
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That's interesting... I was just on the phone to the company I booked with as I pre-booked my passes at full price (at the time, it was cheaper). If they do indeed discount the passes then I am being quite badly stung. Does anyone have any experience of this kind of situation? I will not be happy having paid £188 in advance for a 6 day pass that costs €25 per day Sad.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ditto moralcrusader, we've forked out £239 (x3) in advance with Inghams for the full area pass, the fact that the Vanoise Express is "closed to skiers" pretty much negates the pass let alone the lack of snow! I imagine the reps going to get a bit of a grilling on the 3 hr journey from Geneva! Hoping they will provide some kind of refund, it's not as if they bought the passes in advance, they'll only get them activated tomorrow. The numbers of people that this situation must affect will be staggering, surely they're not going to rip us all off?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We're off to Les Arcs tomorrow with Crystal. Gave then a call about the reduced lift price and they said that they couldn't get that price, but did refund our pre-booked lift passes so we can buy them in resort. We were already having to go to the ticket office anyway tomorrow to get the free pass for our five year old.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We've been offered a lift pass refund too so we can buy in the resort at the reduced price. We are traveling with Esprit.

Many thanks for all the updates this week.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
anyone in 1600 this week? can you ski down there yet or not enough snow
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@MCL, Just arrived in 1600 at 08:00 this morning. It appears that source and mont blanc are both open, but as yet I cannot comment on the amount of rocks you are likley to encountered on the journey. Clearly many people are staying away this Christmas. I was able to find a parking space within 400m of my apartment. Normally the only free spaces are on the road to 2000 this week. At a rough guess the resort will be less than 1/2 full.

The sun is shining and I cannot wait to get out
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Big dumps forecast currently for end of the week/early next week. Hopefully the 1st big winter storm system coming in…...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just a quick update.

I'm at 1800. There's skiing / boarding to be had, but conditions are changeable as it thaws and then freezes in the afternoon. Some areas are super icy and have many rocks - gouged my board today but nothing too major. It's better than expected, but if there is no snow this week, then I imagine it might be 'interesting' come the end of the week.

If there are dumps forecast then people needn't worry. It wouldn't take too much cover to patch things up, as long as temperatures drop, and the winds stay low.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There is not a lot open at the moment: see http://www.lesarcs.com/domaine-skiable.html for upto the minute details. The grand col has the best snow at the top but has a diversion towards the bottom and is very rocky approaching the bottom of the chairlift. Plagnettes has a few stones but few crowds, IMHO it is the best piste open at the moment. Most of the rest that is open are blue roads; these are crowded and very polished. However, I was suprised how well the snow making had maintained the Sources piste down to 1600 but spotted some ice at the very bottom of the Cachette piste so care is required.

I haven't seen some of the runs as bare as this in June. Going up the Bois de l'Ours chairlift I think it will need at least 50cm of dense snow to make it skiable.

The resort is very quiet and I have seen lots of people heading out with walking equipment. This may be a good option if it doesn't snow soon. Afterall the sun shone today and the scenenry is staggeringly beautiful. It is good just being here.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Got to say the last two days have been a lot better than I expected given the poor snow reports. Sure, not everything is open, but there's still a fair amount of variety. Personally I found the skiing better off Bois de l'Ours on the Arc 2000 side, or down into 1800. A lot of the Arc 2000 bowl is very icy now, complete with stones to dodge - made worse by the number of out of control people trying to ski it - the 2000 bowl seems to be the busiest area! With a bit of care there is still some fun to be had off (or just off) piste, with less ice and less people - for example, the area under the Arcabulle chair. Conditions are certainly best in the middle of the day when things have softened a bit in the sun (and many people disappear for lunch..

At the end of the day it's hard to complain at skiing under beautiful blue skies!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@moralcrusader, @johnE, @f948lan,

Thanks for the updates snowHead
latest report
Arriving Saturday, hopefully with the snow that's forecast and I can't wait. Whatever the conditions I intend to have a great deal of fun.
ski holidays
Another relatively balmy day (6 degree at 1800m this afternoon), and everyone has their fingers crossed for a decent snowfall this weekend. In addition to the skiing there is lots of other things going on, including good conditions for parapenting

Off to see Santa, wolves and fireworks now. Love being in the mountains for Christmas Happy
snow conditions
We called into the new (Parenthese) restaurant in 1800 this lunch time. I have to report that the staff were very cheerful and helpfull, the decor pleasant with everything spanking new. But it was the value for money that really stood out. My wife and son had the menu du jour, which was tomato and basil soup followed by steak with braised shallots and chips followed by a pudding. All for 14.5 euro. I had a kilo of mussels with chips for 12.50. I could not finish all the mussels.

I reccomend the place.

Oh and the skiing has been nice today with less crowds on the piste.
snow report
johnE wrote:
menu du jour, which was tomato and basil soup followed by steak with braised shallots and chips followed by a pudding. All for 14.5 euro.

This should be a sticky for all those who say France is expensive
snow report
johnE wrote:
I reccomend the place.
Where is it?
snow conditions
red 27 wrote:
johnE wrote:
menu du jour, which was tomato and basil soup followed by steak with braised shallots and chips followed by a pudding. All for 14.5 euro.

This should be a sticky for all those who say France is expensive

Most people probably judge by the price of alcohol. A pint in Austria is significantly cheaper, but other than that not much difference (comparing Les Arcs to my most recent visit in Austria in Mayrhofen)
ski holidays
@rob@rar, It is just below the Transarc station; go down the steps past the piste security and it is on your right in that little square.

Just left the arbrivoir in Arc 1600. The welcome is better than any other bar I frequent. The staff are all very friendly. A band was setting up but they were due to start at 23:00. To late for me

I like Christmas in Les Arcs

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 25-12-14 8:51; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
That's a gorgeous photo, @rob@rar. Thank you!
ski holidays
Daytripped over to Tignes from Les Arcs today, as pistes in Les Arc are really starting to struggle with the conditions and traffic.

Another blue sky day, but certainly colder, it was -11 in 1950 when we got back about 19:00.

General impression is that piste conditions have held up better in EK than in Les Arcs this week, still some icy patches, but less stones and also appeared to be significantly less people. Looks like that could all change tonight with the new snow coming in (and the resultant increase in avi risk too).

Unfortunately we have to leave tomorrow. Not sure whether to try and get some skiing in first and leave later, or get on the road sooner, given it could be an interesting journey across Switzerland if the forecasts play out.
snow conditions
Best way to show the overnight snowfall is to use the Montchavin webcam which is at 1200m and just over the Vanoise in La Plagne
Montchavin yesterday

Montchavin this moring

Cool
ski holidays
More from the La Plagne side but the best low cameras are there which show the overnight dump and it is still dumping
Champagny yesterday.

Champagny this morning

Montalbert yesterday

Montalbert this monring
snow report
@thefatcontroller, Very Happy
ski holidays
Arc 1950 10am yesterday

and 10am today.

What a difference a day makes Toofy Grin Madeye-Smiley Cool
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yay.
ski holidays
@thefatcontroller, Thank you for your most helpful and, indeed, encouraging posts. I think I feel the pull!

snowHead
snow conditions
From the twitter account of https://twitter.com/IsaMillet

In Bourg train station

snow conditions
Some of the scenes around Albertville today. Just awful

https://www.facebook.com/ville.albertville/posts/867148716670792

and tonight. Gulp.....

latest report
At Arc 2000 / 1950 there's over a foot in the resort centre and it's still snowing, skiing the valee de l'arc this afternoon was probably the best skiing I've ever had, 8-10 inches of fresh powder and only another 2 people on the whole piste!

The road up from Bourg is closed, it's snowing so hard.

I fly back tomorrow but we've had a great week, the aiguille rouge has been superb every day, some lower runs were rocky/icy but should be superb next week once they've sorted the avalanche risk.
snow conditions
thefatcontroller, Blimey.
Reminds me of a few years ago when it took 6+ hours from Lyon to Vallandry (pickup).. getting up the hill was the easiest part, that was on a Monday though. This looks just a little worse.
Heart goes out to all those 'stuck'. Nightmare.
latest report
@allanm, We've had a 6 hours from Albertville to Lyon, gave up then and went in a hotel. Off season so wasn't an issue. With it being the busiest day of the year for transfers then don't envy anyone out there.
snow report
currently sat in a traffic jam in Albertville. We left Morzine mid morning and this is as far as we have got in all those hours! So much for my bright idea of booking us in to La Tania for a bit of 'proper' sking now the snow has come!
snow conditions
In response to the snowfall I've just snapped up an awesome deal for the 10 January with IgluSki for Arc 2000. Pretty chuffed to be fair! snowHead NehNeh Toofy Grin
latest report
cool - there will be three other snowHeads, myself included, in the Paradiski area from the 11th to 18th Jan as well.
ski holidays
If anyone is looking for a last minute deal in Les Arcs, I've just had a cancellation in my place 10-17 January. The apartment sleeps 4 - see my signature for more details. 25% discount for snowHeads, plus a 5% donation to the forum if I get a booking.
snow report
Any recommended places for Snowboard instruction in 2000? For my Fiancee who is a little rusty on the slopes and could do with better instruction than mine!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy