Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2014 - 2015

Poster: A snowHead
ringingmaster wrote:
Or Mont Blanc > Clocheret > Pre St Esprit

For sure that's a way, not sure I'd class it as the best way... PsE is not only a slow non-detachable 3 seater (just over 15 mins , + stopping time as a result of any "loading issues"), but can get bloody crowded at times, so much so that statistically it can be quicker waiting at the Pre St Esprit bus stop for the road route to 2000. Including loading and driving. Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Arctic Roll wrote:
ringingmaster wrote:
Or Mont Blanc > Clocheret > Pre St Esprit

For sure that's a way, not sure I'd class it as the best way... PsE is not only a slow non-detachable 3 seater (just over 15 mins , + stopping time as a result of any "loading issues"), but can get bloody crowded at times, so much so that statistically it can be quicker waiting at the Pre St Esprit bus stop for the road route to 2000. Including loading and driving. Laughing

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snow canons running in other stations,

http://www.courchevel.com/winter/en/webcams-lc72.html

Anyone seen them running here yet?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Was cold this morning in Bourg, had forgotten to put a ice scraper in the van so had to sit in the car park of my apartment block and wait for the ice to melt with the engine running!

Not seen any snow cannons running yet - they were running them in 1600 had a couple of weeks ago but not seen anything since.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks @AndrewsPeppers, @johnE, @Arctic Roll, @Snowbee, @snowcrazy for the responses / tips.
I think I am in agreement with the concensus that the best thing is to enjoy a ride up Grizzly and a more fun run down from there, provided that I can navigate successfully all the way across/down to there. Can always opt for Charmettoger if passing it and it is not busy Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Arctic Roll, Of course it all depends on what you mean by 'best'. I slightly prefer Combourciere to Ours (lots of bears around that neck of the woods). Plan is a tedious road, but if you are after the fastest way then Plan is the obvious choice. If I were heading for Varet first thing in the morning I would take Clocheret (but first thing in the morning I would probably have a blast down it anyway as a warm up)
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@SteveM, Charmettoger is rarely busy but it is a slow lift. The section under the transarc lift can be tricky to find, but my tips are: go as fast as you can past the golf driving range, wherever the pistes branch always take the left one, unless the snow if very firm be prepared to pole across the Charmettoger piste. Watch out for skiers coming fast down to Arc1800 and pedestrians walking down to Vallandry from 1800 (I think that is what they are doing)

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 5-12-14 12:17; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oh I forgot. If you are after getting to Arc2000 as fast as possible from 1600 then simply catch the bus from the funicular station.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@johnE, I can ski to Arc 2000 with the Cachette/Mont Blanc lift and Arpette lifts from Arc 1600 much quicker than the bus does the drive as long as there are no lift queues of course and I only find I need to queue at either lift when it is high season normally. I hate taking the bus. Very Happy

This is my weather and snow prediction for the start of the season on the 13 Dec.

Oh dear! Oh dear! Sorry to be the first to state what many people are fearing, but here it is!

As I have been asked by a few people what I think about the chances of skiing or boarding during the opening week. This is what I think. Hope I am wrong, but with a blue sky again today and the sun shinning it is not looking great. (Unless you like it to be good weather of course!)

Due to the current weather patterns, I think it is going to take a big change in the weather to make skiing possible in most of Les Arcs by the 13 Dec. A front is coming later this weekend, but it does not look like bringing very much snow. (I hope I am wrong!)

Even if we do get some snow, there is no base and the ground has not yet cooled down enough anywhere below 2300m. Unless we get over 50cm in one dump which is unlikely, it will take more than a week of light snow to make a difference.

Hope I am wrong, but right now it is only likely to be Arc 2000 bowl that 'might' open on time with very limited skiing. If it get's cold enough they could get the snow canons going and make enough snow to have single stripes crossing into the other stations. But I am not sure they will do this.

If like me you will be here. best to make the most of whatever we have and just enjoy a relaxing break. Come with that mind set and you will not feel so disappointed. Maybe!!

I will post another update after we see what happens with the weather this weekend! As of right now, there is no official news from the resort. They I am sure are still hoping for the best as am I!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@snowcrazy, thanks for that, and sadly that's how I see it from all of the forecasts and webcams. 4 of us are coming out to 2000 for a Friday to Monday break next week. We're going to VT on Friday (straight from Geneva) but were hoping for 2 or 3 days on the slopes in Les Arcs. We're going to make a last minute decision on it, but with our accommodation already sorted in 2000 (thankfully we have a very good deal) we may decide to drive to Tignes each day if les Arcs is looking extremely limited. Fingers crossed the forecasts are wrong and huge falls are on the way, but I'm starting to very much doubt it.

The way I see it is that it'll be a nice break anyway, and I'll be catching up with friends from when I lived in Les Arcs a few years back. If there's some local skiing then all the better, if not we'll make the best of it. It's better than being in work, whatever happens!

Snow dance, snow dance, let's all do a snow dance.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
3 years ago the conditions weren't much better than now at this time and that turned out to be a record breaking season, so there's still hope. Having said that with the forecasts I've seen there's not much on the way so keep on dancing people. It's a real shame especially given the investment in the new Mille 8 area in 1800.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@snowcrazy, do you know if there is a bus from vallandry to villerroger?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Villaroger is a bit isolated. No bus there to my knowledge. Nearest place reachable by bus is Bourg, then a taxi.

Or you can stay on the ski bus for another 3-4 km through to Seez, but I don't know how easy it would be to get a taxi at Seez.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dusting of some white stuff on the webcams today. Is this the turning point or is it all going to melt again!??! Some awesome deals on Igluski.....! Puzzled
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snow-forecast.com are predicting it as fairly cold for 2 or 3 days but the freezing level will be back up to 2000m by Friday Sad

My trip next weekend is looking like it could be a disappointment. Them's the risks, I guess.
latest report
I'm ever hopeful. I'll keep an eye on it as I'm fortunately able to book real last minute; here's hoping that snow-forecast is wrong and the freezing point stays low Toofy Grin
snow conditions
The cloud down in Bourg has finally lifted and I can see up to 1800 from my bedroom window, looks as if there has been dusting from 1600 up. Nothing major but its a start!
snow report
Updated again: Just posted the photos of Les Arcs for the last few days over on the Les Arcs Winter page. Take a look.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.750205721722563.1073741841.195692797173861&type=3

I have heard, although not official that they are hoping to open most of the Arc 2000 bowl for the start of the season plus the Transarc 'up and down' for those coming over from Arc 1800. There will be a bus running from Arc 1600 round to Arc 2000 area and if there is enough snow, hopefully Cachette or Mont Blanc plus Arpette, but this might not happen. (See comment about Vagere.)

Vagere will only open if there is enough snow to make the area safely skiable (bit of a get out of jail card that) so may well not open. Same with all other lower lifts which is understandable, so unless we have a big dump it might be busing round to ride in the Arc 2000 bowl for me.

Peisey Vallandry right now still has no snow at the bottom. They hope to run a bus to Arc 1800. To be confirmed or if enough snow at the top, then 'up lift and down lift' for beginners and for the rest across to the Transarc via Derby. I think a bus may be cheaper to run so we shall have to see?

This info is not official so you still need to wait for these details to be confirmed. It is confirmed that the published reduced lift pass rates will apply for the opening week as not all lifts will be open so I guess the pressure is off to have more than the basic lifts running.

As the week goes on it is hoped to slowly open more lifts, but this will depend on the snow conditions.

As for the pistes. The snow canons are on. See my photos. But not all of them, they would run out of water quickly if they did. The plan is to try and have linking pistes open to each station, but only if it stays cold and even then in lower areas this may be impossible to achieve. IMO, the biggest problem is beginners as they may have to travel quite a long way to get to suitable pistes. For better skiers, I am sure they will have a few nice pistes to ski on, just limited. AND unless we have a big dump, forget most of the 'off piste' unles you want to risk hitting yourself on the rocks just under the surface.

Take a look at the photos on my summer page if you would like to see what Les Arcs looks like when there is no snow.

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsSummer

More to follow in the next few days.

Hope that helps with your planning and it is good to know we can ski somewhere.
latest report
Update: I have just heard that there is snow down to Peisey Vallandry today, not much, but it is a start. It is still cold, but the sky is slowly clearing. Hope it start's snowing again. Very Happy Sorry to my friend that just told me this, I know you have to drive around today, BUT we all want it to snow LOADS!!! Toofy Grin
latest report
For all you music fans out there coming to Les Arcs this weekend. As well as the Film festival this coming week in Les Arcs (more details to follow).

There is also a Music Village this year. Some cool stuff will be on. Here is the link you need for all the details.

https://www.facebook.com/music.village.lesarcs

and

http://www.digitick.com/festival-music-village-electro-rhone-alpes-css4-digitick-pg5-rg8027.html
latest report
La Rosiere certainly starting to look a lot healthier than it did a week ago. Heading there on Saturday 13th and only about 7km from Les Arcs.... Staying positive

http://www.larosiere.net/webcams.html Skullie
snow conditions
Webcams are dangerously deceptive. Looks amazing but could just be a very good coating of 5cm, I suppose? I pose that question as I eagerly consider a very late booking for this weekend......
snow report
@johnE, yeah I know where the col really is- I've got a fulll blown topgraphical 3D relief map of the whole area + skiied it upteen times - it was just my way of pointing out what the 'powers that be' had started calling that top station. Not that I agree with it or nuthin'.
snow report
@snowsquirrel Well if you do pull the trigger there are some cracking deals around http://www.igluski.com/searchresults?sort=3

La Ros was brown fields in resort (1850) this time last week so probably is no more than 5cm but every little helps!
latest report
@Willard, I agree, most places were green fields a few days ago. Anything below 2300m is still going to be very thin and ski breaking if you are unlucky, even on piste. Those small stones the piste basher brings up are a nightmare! We need it to keep snowing every day until the weekend like it did last season.

I have read a few posts of bigger fresh snow depths, but those in resort have said, it is still only a dusting on the lower slopes.

I will post more photos in a couple of days. In the mean time, keep your eye on the web cams. Use things like the roofs of the chair lift or gondola station or seats on chairs to judge snow depth where the snow has settled, not looking at the ground which can be very misleading.
ski holidays
Busy time for updates. You can tell they are a little worried about the conditions. Here is the latest news from Les Arcs.

Les Arcs has now confirmed some of the details I posted earlier:

I received this a few hours ago.

"Les Arcs: we confirm the opening of the ski resort Les Arcs / Peisey-Vallandry this Saturday, December 13, 2014.
Skiing in the Arc 2000 Valley is already guaranteed.

In the event that some sites cannot be connected for skiing, we will strengthen the shuttle service from Arc 1600 and from Peisey-Vallandry.

The connection for Arc 1800 - Arc 2000 will be provided by the Transarc gondola. We will provide a more accurate opening plan on Friday, December 12th."

There is also a meeting tomorrow evening in Les Arcs 1800 for anyone that can get there.

They stated; "If you want to know what you'll find this winter season? There will be a meeting tomorrow (10/12/2014) at 19h in the Bernard Taillefer Centre."

This is a general update of the work that has been finished in the resort since last winter and opening details of things like the Millie 8 and other events this winter.

More to follow later in the week.

The La Plagne side of the Paradiski have also posted an update. More details to follow, but as the Vanoise is not running until 20th December I will post the details in another message.

Edited. As the details of the La Plagne openings have been published on the La Plagne thread, rather than post the same thing here. Please go to the La Plagne thread to read the info.
snow report
Thanks for the update. Do you know what they are considering re the "shuttle service from Peisey-Vallandry".
ski holidays
If they do as they did a few seasons ago. They use what I call the 'secret road' for the shuttle bus. It is in fact a private road with big gates which is only opened for emergency use connecting Peisey Vallandry direct with Arc 1800. My guess is they will pick up from different places in Peisey Vallandry and drive to the bus station at Villards end of Arc 1800. Anyone reading this and thinking of trying to take your car up this road. MY ADVICE! Do not. If you get caught it will be a really big fine!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@snowcrazy, Is it really a private road. I have driven along it many times during the summer and though I have noticed the restrictions I always thaought that this was standard practice to close the road during the winter as a mountain pass.

Incidently my wife said it was snowing lightly in Arc 1600 this evening.
snow report
@snowcrazy, that's the fire road that's open in the summer yes?

Not a good place to be driving in the winter!
snow report
I thought I would check on the webcams this morning and made the pleasant discovery that the Vanoise Express cam has moved to the La Plagne side. It now gives a magnificent sweep from Arc 1600 all the way around to up le Ponturin valley and possibly the Bellecote. Might be useful to see what piste are open in the spring.

I hope it is temporary but the Mont Blanc camera has gone!
snow conditions
johnE wrote:
I thought I would check on the webcams this morning and made the pleasant discovery that the Vanoise Express cam has moved to the La Plagne side. It now gives a magnificent sweep from Arc 1600 all the way around to up le Ponturin valley and possibly the Bellecote. Might be useful to see what piste are open in the spring.

I hope it is temporary but the Mont Blanc camera has gone!

The Vanoise cam has always been there its just been on the La Pagne page.
snow conditions
Just been told La Rosiere isn't opening until 20th now and I'm being moved to Alpe D'Huez. Haven't got time at mo to research conditions there, not sure whether I should just push for a full refund.
snow report
@thefatcontroller, correct, it is the one I use to get the nice photos of Peisey Vallandry when the clouds lift.

@johnE, @Arctic Roll, There are two roads in the summer. The normal road that connects Arc 1800 and Peisey Vallandry becomes the 'Forest' piste in the winter. This is the one you drive along.

The lower road (Private. well I guess it belongs to the commune) which is kept snow clear for emergency use ONLY comes out near the bottom of Vallandry from near the bottom of Arc 1800. They built it about 4 or 5 years ago maybe. It is this road which the bus normally uses in the winter IF the lifts cannot open.

When you drive in the summer you use the higher road. The lower road is normally closed in the summer as well. But you can bike down it anytime and it is nice for hiking as well.

@Willard, real pity as it does not look so bad now on the web cams, but then there will be very little snow depth so you could hit those little annoying stones even on pistes. Guess they are playing safe. Sad

Come to Les Arcs instead, that is the great thing about having the Arc 2000 bowl. Even if only on the pistes, we can still ski there. Very Happy
ski holidays
@snowcrazy, Thanks for that information. I didn't know about the low road. I knew the other road was a piste having skied on it sometimes and seen patches of tarmac!
snow report
Question for the les Arcers (is that the right term??)

We're arriving in resort on Friday night for a weekend trip, just Saturday, Sunday and Monday morning. Obviously it looks like only the Arc 2000 bowl will be in play, which significantly restricts the possibilities and brings into question just how busy it is likely to be.

So, the question. Do we take Option A of just accepting that it will be limited and busy and just get on with it. Or do we take Option B of driving to Tignes each day and making use of what, one assumes, would be more extensive piste options but also likely more people?

The current thinking (between all four of us travelling) is just to stay in les Arcs and if we get more than 2 or 3 hours of skiing done each day, it's a bonus. That said, I really don't mind the driving aspect of a couple of daily trips to Espace Killy (done it many times before), so I'm just wondering if the fare on offer in Tignes may be more appealing for such a short trip.
snow report
@Dav, I am not in Les Arcs at the moment and certainly cannot forecast what crowds are likely to turn up on Saturday, but my wife is. Her decision was to ski Les Arcs on the Saturday largely because she doesn't really like the drive from Les Arcs to Tignes (it takes about an hour each way once faffing has been taken into consideration).

So based upon my sample of all the evidence available (one person) I would say that Les Arcs will be much more crowded than Tignes.

However, why try and decide now? look out the window Saturday morning and make your mind up then.
snow report
johnE wrote:
@Dav, I am not in Les Arcs at the moment and certainly cannot forecast what crowds are likely to turn up on Saturday, but my wife is. Her decision was to ski Les Arcs on the Saturday largely because she doesn't really like the drive from Les Arcs to Tignes (it takes about an hour each way once faffing has been taken into consideration).

So based upon my sample of all the evidence available (one person) I would say that Les Arcs will be much more crowded than Tignes.

However, why try and decide now? look out the window Saturday morning and make your mind up then.

John, cheers and yes, a late decision is wise. I'd just rather have a decision made by Friday evening so that we can get on the road early Saturday if necessary. The more our group discuss it, the more we think we'll just go with whatever we can do (or not) in Les Arcs, I'm just looking for reassurance I guess!! While all of our group would obviously prefer to be skiing all day, I think more than anything we're just looking forward to a break, so adding in the daily journey to EK is a hassle we can probably do without. Especially if its just going to be equally busy once we get over there.
snow conditions
johnE wrote:
Not skied Tignes for a few weeks so can't say for certain, but from what I've heard locally the skiing in Val Thorens is much better than the glacier in Tignes, with more terrain available, more lifts running and generally decent piste conditions above 2400m.
ski holidays
@Dav, The dull glacier skiing of Tignes is (IMO) not worth the ag of the commute from Les Arcs
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy