Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2014/2015

Poster: A snowHead
Went to Thonon and bought new skis today snowHead will be letting them run in the morning snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@sarah, enjoy the new skis!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh my word! There is so much snow. Just heading up now to see it close up in the perfect sunshine. Sun cream on!!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm not sure what's happened in the three days since I fell up a kerb (stone cold sober) and put myself out of action with a dead leg. It wasn't all that great today. How has it gone hardpack when temperatures have been the coldest they've been all winter? Had a burn over to Chatel as far as the village and it was patchy, scraped and in some cases, just icy Puzzled

Anyone got any ideas? Cold as well....high windchill.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Great day and good conditions skiing from Champery to Morgins and returning via Champoussin and Les Crosets. All runs open including a very nice run through the trees on the Piste Didier Defago.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
High wind chill high wind wind ice
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think I must have been somewhere else! We had squeaky snow nearly all day. Lindarets, Chatel, Prodains. A bit scratchy in the afternoon in places, but mostly because of the big bumps being created by the dusty stuff. The ridges were a bit cold and blower, but we weren't hanging about. Great fun.
Beautiful sunshine already this morning.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@snowfraise, I was clearly somewhere else too! Squeaky beautiful snow yesterday and glorious weather.

Today another glorious sunny day, very cold, very windy on exposed areas. Excellent on piste conditions. First week of French holidays and not too bad at certain times and in certain places, unpleasant at others.

Note to the French, please do continue to enjoy a lie in and leisurely breakfast, after all you are on holiday Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

please do continue to enjoy a lie in and leisurely breakfast

and a two hour lunch....
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sarah wrote:
@snowfraise, I was clearly somewhere else too! Squeaky beautiful snow yesterday and glorious weather.

Today another glorious sunny day, very cold, very windy on exposed areas. Excellent on piste conditions. First week of French holidays and not too bad at certain times and in certain places,Toofy Grin

Would you divulge those?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Had a great day today, Set out early from Les Crosets with nearly first run down to Les Lindarets. Went down Super Morzine and over to Morzine and Les Gets. On piste the snow was great and only delay was at Morzine where the gondola kept stopping. Off piste was hard packed or wind blown top now. Sunny but high winds at the top of all the peaks.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sarah wrote:
Went to Thonon and bought new skis today snowHead will be letting them run in the morning snowHead

Do tell - which skis and where from and how are they performing?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We're arriving tomorrow for 3 and a half days of snow and sun!

I note that it's French half term at the moment.... Can any snowheads there at the moment say how busy it currently is? Whats the normal queue waiting time, Busy apres-ski? etc

Thanks
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The French half term has started but it is not so busy that you can't fine your own bit of mountain. Today he longest we had to queue was about 15 mins and that was because the lift would stop every so often building up a queue. The rest of the time we avoided getting stuck by using an alternative lift and heading away from everyone else. Completed 40km and had time to sit down at lunchtime.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks to everyone on here for their top tips for mine and the Mrs' long weekend in Les Gets, we had a great time. As an improving intermediate skier the conditions were perfect for her as we steadily ticked off most of the blues and reds in LG and Morzine.

Final day we headed over to Mt Chery in the sun and had lots of fun.

As a boarder I can't help but feeling a small tinge of regret we weren't a few days earlier... Whilst there is loads of snow the off piste is tracked and choppy. The blacks on Mt Chery especially looked like they would be great fun pre-tracked out and moguls. Ah well... Maybe next time!

We were there Friday-Sunday. Friday felt almost deserted and even on Sunday when the French had all arrived on their holidays there was still plenty of space on the mountain. Anyone heading there soon is in for a treat. Forecast is for sun until the end of the week and then a top up of new snow. Enjoy!
ski holidays
@pam w, indeed wink

@mihaid, yes be out at 8.45, it was quiet until at least 10.30-11.00. Then skip lunch or take it early or late. I was skiing Pre la Joux this morning and I had pistes to myself at times. By contrast I was in Avoriaz this afternoon and it was rammed, dangerously so, in places.

@DJL, Head slalom skis. Still getting used to them, not yet decided!

@no_snow_in_swindon, not that busy, next week is the one to worry about.
snow conditions
Back yesterday from such a awesome week with 23 mates. So much snow. Hope it carries on for you all going out or already out there this week. The first three days in thigh deep powder where amazing!!!
Just one thing they were still making loads of fake snow, massive piles of it back into Morzine. It seemed very compact ( almost icy) and strangely slippery. I've skied on manufactured snow lots of times and recently over new year in LA Plagne but it's never been like that before. The boarders I was with said it even sounded different when going across it. Why would it be so different to else where?
snow report
@munter, Thanks for the rport, glad SHs snowHead were able to help! Well done Mrs M for improving to MC standard over the week!
ski holidays
Pretty gorgeous here again yesterday and this morning. Spent most of the day across at Chery Nord, and it wasn't busy. Back across to the other side this morning to Ripaille I think.
latest report
@sarah, You may find that you have to work them quite hard to get all the benefits. I have some Salomon Labs and they are fantastic, but they are very unforgiving!
snow report
@Chattonmill, probably!! Bit better today, I will persevere snowHead

Enjoyed the golden hours again this morning then picked up son from ski club and had a coffee in the sun, beautiful day, less cold than yesterday and great piste conditions.
ski holidays
Just wanted to thank Windsofchange & Sarah for the info regarding the new chair lifts at Vonnes. Sounds like the new piste is also skiable although not yet officially open so will take a look. Flying out early on Thursday and hoping to get 3-4 hours of gentle warm up skiing that afternoon before tackling the circuit on Friday. Thought we had better go for Friday as the weekend looks set for some more serious snowfall.
snow report
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful day today, but alas with the warm, tanning sun comes the slushy stuff. Admittedly only at the end of the day on the way back to Super Morzine, and it certainly didn't spoil our day across in Swirzerland. Ripaille was like a fairy tale land, if a little flat.
ski holidays
meteo Montaigne predicting snow for Sat, Sun, Mon & Tues

http://france.lachainemeteo.com/meteo-france/ville/previsions-meteo-morzine-3610-6.php
ski holidays
We headed over to Torgon today and our first ride on the new lifts across to Super Chatel. Have to say that before Christmas I was convinced that these lifts would not open this season as there still looked to be lots to do, but the late start to the season helped I think and now these are a great addition to the area. Runs down to Trogon sowing a lot of wear and sunny spots have a few pAtches of earth/stones showing through so let's hope that snow is on its way for a little top up.
snow conditions
Yesterday we (boarder x 3, skier x2) did a small 65KM loop from La Panthiaz -> La Chapelle -> Torgon -> Chalet Neuf -> Super Chatel -> Linga -> Plaine Dranse -> Lindarets -> Crete -> Mosettes (lunch stop in resto at top) -> Col Du PdS -> Morgins -> Chalet Neuf -> Super Chatel -> Onnaz -> Torgon -> La Chapelle.
Observations :
weather: perfect
pistes: all good apart from Col de Croix (red) - bare + rocky / icy - the blue was ok.
Transition from Eperviers -> Col de Croix : The road was sketchy ( the skiers went this way ) The off piste linking the two under the road was soft and forgiving if a little lumpy and tracked.
Piste from SC -> Vonnes is officially closed this season. I asked the lifties (again) who said that the work on the piste had not been completed, so it would not be open until next December. However the number of ski-tracks on it suggests that it can be used.
Lifts: Grand Places closed in Torgon.
Resto: The one atop the Mossettes is keenly priced.
French Holiday queues: minimal - bototm of Linga Gondola 5 mins, Tour de Don 5 mins, otherwise sweet as.
latest report
@WindOfChange, Sounds a great day out and looking at the webcams yesterday and today (sad I know!) must be cracking weather at the moment.

Large parts of that are on some of our regular routes though often going outbound via Morgins and Champoussin/Les Crosets. Good to see that the new Vonnes lifts are giving another option.

Would you recommend the restaurant at top of Mossettes (we pass it nearly every day we head away from the Chatel area but I’ve never been in)? What style is it ? Self-service staples?

Good luck all next week when I’m sure it will be busy with the Dutch, Brits (my brother amongst them) and Parisians arriving!
latest report
The main appeal of the resto was the big soft leather sofas in the window in the sun.
You order at the bar, and then they bring it to your table.
Burgers are good, price is ok (if you are paiid in CHF), staff are friendly, decor is contemporary, toilets are clean.
Net week will be fine, as we will be treking up Mont Ouzon , and Mont Drouzin and riding the untouched powder.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The latest I heard about the piste from SC to Vonnes being closed is that there is some concern that the work to create it has caused instability and they are giving it time to settle. Who knows.

Cracking weather but I am having a day off (I think!) as lots and lots of stuff to do and sort out before next week.
latest report
@sarah, Yes, they did a MASSIVE amount of earth works there. The lorry loads were endless in the Autumn !!! they must let it settle - it'll be open next year.

I love those new lifts, I just love them
snow report
Most people I saw seemed to be happy to download on the SC lift and then shuffle the 50m across rather than take the track. Didn't see anyone on it.

I like the resto at the top of the wall, flies the swiss flag but is French so best to pay in Euros. If you are over in Les Crosets, check out the bottom of the Marcheson button lift, make sure you go inside.
snow report
Ahhhh Les Crosests - back in the day when there was a gondola going up the mosettes, and a chair going up to the summit of Pointe de l'au, there used to be a really nice bar / restaurant called the Sundance at the foot of the ponit de l'au chair. When I did my first season (1988-89), they employed attractive young waitresses, and much of the uniform (what litttle of it there was) was leather. I did seem to spend a disproportionate amount of my lunchtimes there.
snow conditions
The Sundance. Aah. Always had to have a coffee stop there whilst guiding the circuit.
snow conditions
@WindOfChange, Oh yes, I remember it well Shocked Very Happy . And they gave us ski-guides 10% of the group's bill back in cash rather than a meal for free, that's the way to do business!!
snow conditions
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2679359#2679359

Shameless plug, but I've done a quick trip report from a tour yesterday, based from Avoriaz.
snow report
shep wrote:
@WindOfChange, Oh yes, I remember it well Shocked Very Happy . And they gave us ski-guides 10% of the group's bill back in cash rather than a meal for free, that's the way to do business!!

I wondered why our skiguide took us there for lunch every trip round the circuit. We assumed it was because he was an old letch (well young letch in those days!). First visit would have been 1990 I think and it certainly kept going for a few years after that.

There was always a suggestion going around that the owner was the true embodiment of the PDS concept with his wife in Les Crosets and a “ladyfriend” somewhere over the French side!

Things ain't what they used to be.
snow report
Hi All,

Im heading out on the 10th of March, staying in Avoriaz. However my transfer drops me of at Prodains Express at 17:30 ish. My lift pass will be recharged for the first day of skiing being 11th of March. I have read you need to buy a pedestrian pass to use the prodains express but the ticket office is closed by 1700.

Does anyone know if they have a ticket machine at the bottom of prodains express lift?

Thanks
Jay
snow report
@DJL, @WindOfChange, I now know why I ended up there in the late 80's with the instructor. Should have realised after the final tow up from the kiddy tow line that there must a been a compelling reason to get there.
ski holidays
@DJL, There seemed to be a hiatus in quality of service in 88-89, 89-90 as I was never treated to either a cash bonus nor foxy waitresses strutting their stuff. Mind you, I don't think it was accessible on skis for much of those seasons...

So I missed out completely. Sad
snow report
@WindOfChange, @zzz, @shep, @DJL, @BergenBergen, @under a new name, gents this is the WEATHER not the NOT THE WEATHER thread thank you wink And anyway talking of leather, Babeth was walking across the PLJ car park this morning in thigh high, high heeled leather boots Shocked

Back on to the weather which has been glorious again today Smile Pistes still in great nick generally. Loads of moguls, skied with a trainer this morning, spent a while this morning looking for the 'right kind' to practise on and then did too many laps of them before I was let off Laughing Felt much busier today. Except for my own private piste, @DJL and @Pamski, which was as ever blissfully empty this morning Cool

Mixed forecasts for snow this coming weekend, Sat - Mon, hopefully a good dump on Saturday snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy