Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2014/2015

Poster: A snowHead
Can't believe how difficult this whole situation is. I'm gutted for those who are out there (or heading out) and not getting much skiing Sad I am due out on 11th Jan but have nothing booked yet so will hedge my bets for a while yet and see what happens. The snow will come and when it does it will be epic, I just hope that's sooner rather than later. Stay positive peep's Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It looks as though the fresh snow has been mostly restricted to altitudes above 1800m in Chatel overnight with any decent accumulations perhaps towards 2000m and above - which is a shame as the rain was quite heavy at times overnight at 1200m.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Only water skiing at moment
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Sunshine81, I am in exactly the same position. Not booking anything until the situation changes
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's raining heavily in Les Gets right now.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hmm

Speaking as an independant traveller who booked there lifts pass's in October.

I am gutted that my 2 week ski holiday, the first where I thought my daughter would not be old enough to really get into it is going to be marred by poor conditions.

However imagine how much more annoyed I would be if having bought a pass early I find that I can't get on a lift more than once every 2 hours because the resort is swamped by too many people.

They have to make a cut somewhere, and I don't think its all about big business, its about first come first served. We have our own apartment in Avoriaz, we have never used a TO.

I would be fairly annoyed if the thousands of people arriving from other resorts brought avoriaz to its knees. As it is in 2 weeks I am reckoning we are going to probably eek maybe 3 full days if we are lucky, how annoyed would I be if that is reduced to 2 o1 because what pistes are there get annihilated in the first day but too high volume.

I have to applaud them for making the right decision because its the best for the resort. It is also best for those who don't get a pass, in that most holiday insurances won't pay out even if you get just 1 days ski-ing in your holiday a lot of other resorts might be tempted to sell you a pass so they are not having to explain this to an insurance company. As it is people who do decide to cut their losses might be able to mitigate there losses as official unavailability of skiing will mean they may have a claim.

Its a horrible situation and they are doing there best in my opinion, none of us are entitled to snow. Maybe as well we should all think about how many times we jump in the car to run an errand we could do by bus or by foot, because this is going to start happening more often than less given the damage we are doing our environment.

Oh and this has impacted our party, my brother in law left it to last minute to get his passes so we are now in a situation where we are going to have share passes and take it in turns ski-ing. Again I don't have a problem with this, its not ideal but it is fair it will reduce the no of skiers on the piste at anyone time and we will just have to get on with it and make it work. Its christmas, the mountains are beautiful its Eric Idle time....always look on the bright Smile

G
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A quick snow report. I braved the rain and headed up via Ardent. The snow line over night was about 1800m. I skied Arare, Fornet and back down to Linderets. Briefly anything 1800m and above was fine on piste. The odd brown patch and stone. Below 1800m, ie Linderets was not ideal. Icy bits, lumps of slush, grass but skiable. No possibility to ski off piste. The pisteurs have done an amazing job.
When I left it had started to rain at resort level and is raining in Morzine and. 7C
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@zzz, beautiful and sunny over here... I think the rain very temporary. Can't believe you went out in it though. First time for everything. Trying to catch a cold like Z?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Very Happy

I was put under a certain amount of pressure!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Les Gets had groups of locals, employees and ski instructors out this morning moving snow using shovels and skidoos to make skiiable areas for the beginners. The Piou Piou area at the bottom is set up for learners.

http://youtube.com/v/TAmW5UcwbZw
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
flogging a dead horse....
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
But at least trying for the kids!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I am not knocking their efforts. I just think it is futile when considering the forecast for the next few days. So depressing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just looked at accuweather says some forecast 29/30 th dec don't know how much I hope it snows before this
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Does anyone have a feel for the cancellation levels? Surely lots of people are cutting their losses and cancelling?
snow conditions
No queues today to get on the lifts, and good snow conditions (considering) above 1700'ish, but the pistes were busy in some places. Best was on the Arare. Just the one piste open in the Fornet, although the free ride was doable even if it was officially closed. There was probably 5-10cm of fresh wet snow, which made things a lot better than yesterdays ice, and actually often rather good on piste. The traverse track around to Fornet will likely suffer and they seemed to be doing a bit of snow farming to try to make sure it will hold out next week. Linderet area was fine but probably won't take much of a thaw to cause problems as the cover is very thin on the lower slopes. It was already starting to get scraped out on the steeper sections. Runs through Avoriaz were also starting to suffer at the end of the day. Not sure how true it is, but I did hear that Christmas week is not normally so busy because the French prefer to ski New Year week. Late afternoon people were busy buying passes for tomorrow at Ardent, but nothing crazy.
snow report
Champery/ les Crosets side is grim, nothing open and very patchy crunchy snow. Lot of greenery poking through. Two lifts open for walkers and couple of restaurants open. Rumours about bike shop opening for mtb rental. Lots of bikes sliding around yesterday! I honestly cannot see anything opening here unless we have significant snow fall and temperature drop. The ground is very wet at the moment. Lots of cars piled into the village yesterday with very glum faces. So sad
snow conditions
morzine/les gets season lift pass collected, sunshine ,-2c ,perfect skiing weather -oh,no snow Sad
snow report
Juddernaut wrote:
Does anyone have a feel for the cancellation levels? Surely lots of people are cutting their losses and cancelling?

I think the savvy skiers going independently will fall under the radar. Breakfast TV this morning would not have helped. Doom and gloom,........... plus my spy on the ground summed it up in a text last night ....."....sh*te....".
ski holidays
Avoriaz is surprisingly decent considering how green it is in Morzine. The pistes are reasonably busy but the lift system is working well with hardly any queues yesterday. However, it really doesn't sound much fun for people without pre-booked passes, so if you're coming next week id buy now incase they extend the restrictions.
snow conditions
Quote:

cancellation levels

Driving around Chamonix at 09:00 yesterday it was the quietest I have seen it. Ever. Even in mid-November. I have it in good authority that one of the newer trendy hotels has had a 40% canx rate. Grim.

However.

Our Christmas groups are all here and having a good time. Most/many (?) independents have cancellation policies that would mean final payments taken 6-8 weeks ago.

The UK media really don't help. Verbier was actually quite fine yesterday. I hear the Grand Montets is also fine. I may wander up tomorrow and have a look. Sounds like Avoriaz is fine and I would expect restrictions to relax outside of the weekend. It's cold and cannons are running. Snow may arrive at the weekend.

Conditions are Not As Bad as is being portrayed by the UK media: gaily reporting the plight of the tour operators and then doing their level best to make that plight worse.

While an application of Hanlon's law is appropriate, it makes me quite aerated.
ski holidays
A warning to anyone coming out this week under their own steam - there is a process you need to go through to get day passes
From what I understand (and happy to be corrected if I've misunderstood) you cannot simply turn up at the pass offices and get passes
If you are in catered accommodation the operator has things in hand, they will brief you what to do
If you have private self catered accommodation, whether owned or rented, you will need to take proof of residence to the tourist office in Morzine and ask for a Carte D'Hote. With this you can go to the pass offices and purchase day passes for up to four skiers. They are currently issuing two day passes. I guess that if you have more than four people staying you will need to ask for multiple cartes
I've just been through the system for my four guests, no amount of pleading and proof of residence would persuade the pass office staff, without this golden ticket, the Carte D'Hote, they wouldn't allow me to buy passes.
Clearly, they are looking to restrict numbers on the slopes. It clearly works, we went out yesterday and the queuing was no worse than any normal trip.
PS the snow at the upper parts was excellent, lower down it was a bit packed, but all in all pretty good.
ski holidays
I have been teaching both Avoriaz and in Chatel the last couple of days. Conditions are very good, to be honest above mid mountain it is not any worse than this time last year. Avoriaz has not been too crowded, except in some bottle necks, thanks to limiting tickets they have actually made it a decent place to have a quality ski. For all of my classes there is fortunately enough terrain on offer to make the trip worthwhile. The only real negative is the amount of hardpack and ice coming into the Lindarets valley from Avoriaz, this is certainly making life hard for a lot of people. But I have been having a great time at work and on the hill if I do have a free moment for a quick blast.
snow conditions
Good to know @R555MAC. I was encouraged by the pics on the Les Gets Facebook page showing real snow, some lifts open, a snow blower blowing and the ESF debutantes ski school area set up at, I think, Chavannes. Fair play to the organisers and teams to at least get this sorted, it looked almost normal with white snow on the mountain and blue skies. though the photos seemed quite close cropped!

I know I'm not going out till 3 Jan, adn I've probably had more than enough good ski holidays to accept the odd dodgy one, but what was bothering me was the fact my two kids (age 3&4) may have missed their some snow time and instruction on their first ever trip, and worst of all, we may have had to resort to trying to get over to Avoriaz with all the stress & bother.

So, all being well, there's a cold snap coming, and the season starts for real in the coming week. the snow dances may seem to be working at last! Smile
snow report
Pleney yesterday.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ltwctboafva869d/IMG_4716.png?dl=0[/img]
snow report
Being well looked after in a nice chalet helps, not least the minibus to Pré la Joux every morning (and afternoon for the way back) big thanks Al, but either way, Chatel is a lot better than the doom and gloom suggested. Yes I've got Whitedot Rangers sitting doing nothing that I'd quite like to be using but then I'm happy to use the One's I acquired recently (thanks Jon).

Bottom line is, I'm skiing and whilst it's a bit poo-poo, a bit poo-poo skiing is better than most other things.
ski holidays
Just a quick note to put things in perspective. Yes, the conditions are not good and Morzine and Les Gets need a good dump before they can open, however, things are much better in Avoriaz. It is limited and nowhere near being "great", however, there is some good snow high up and some of the piste skiing is actually pretty good. The thin base is certainly an issue generally, in particular lower down and in areas of heavy traffic. The Lindarets bowl conditions will suffer somewhat over the next few warm days, however, the resort are to be commended for the work they are doing to maintain everything and I was really surprised how much they have got open. The lower temperatures forecast for later this week will help greatly in regard to snow making and if the snow forecast for next weekend arrives it will obviously make a huge difference. It is a little more difficult for beginners due to the limitations, but if you can ski a bit head high and enjoy the sunshine and decent snow.

The decision taken in regard to lift passes is, in my view, the correct one. If a restriction had not been in place it would have been absolute chaos, in regard to both access and skiing, and the lower slopes would now be un-skiable. Anybody this week who cannot get a pass, I really feel for, however, if you have passes make the most of it.

Here's hoping for a much better week next week and a proper start to the season.

Bob
snow conditions
@ardoyne
I have to agree with all of that. In an ideal world is be enjoying Morzine and the whole of the PDS this week. But I'm appreciating what is available and think they've done well.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just to clarify for rondelle, ignore the pictures there is NO SNOW in Les Gets. Really, no snow. They have managed to cobble together a piste for the beginners and you have to absolutely applaud them for that, but I am looking out of my apartment window in Les Gets on green grass instead of Les Melezes piste, running down to the Perrieres lift. I really hope that snow arrives before you do, if you only intend to ski Les Gets

That said, we have been able to purchase 2 day lift passes on Sunday afternoon for Avoriaz, starting on Monday (no Carte d'Hote needed, despite what Stuart was saying above. perhaps Stuart that's because you are buying multiple adult passes whereas my husband and friend were just buying for our two families, adults and children. trying to crack down on the black market perhaps?). Queued for 1 hour to get them though, and that was arriving 30 mins before the sale start time of 3.30.

We were also able to buy 3 day Avoriaz passes for our families this afternoon at the Lift pass office at the top of the Prodains, in Avoriaz itself. Again no questions asked about where we were staying.

Considering the conditions I can't believe how many runs they have open and skiable all day. Lindarets is the quieter area, although as R55MAC says, it's hard packed and icy in spots down the piste. Still it's good to be reminded that you should only be putting weight on the downhill ski.....

It's a bit poo-poo skiing but it's better than the no skiing all week that we were contemplating on Sunday!
latest report
Hi there. Frequent visitor to Les Gets here. Unfortunately arriving this Saturday for a week. Will have a car so able to get about if we need to. Obviously would like to do some skiing even if "some" is the operative word...

At present we've pre-booked LGM-only passes online. Should I try to see if these can be "upgraded" to PDS in order to maximise our chances of being able to ski in Avoriaz? Will a PDS pass issued in Les Gets get the holder an Avoriaz pass if the restrictions continue?

Any help on this welcomed!

And yes.... I appreciate that these are mountains and that the weather could surprise us all. Let's hope so. I'd like to make what preparations I can anyway.
snow report
@IanTr,
AIUI, this week, anyone holding a Les Gets/Morzine pass had their pass refunded and have been left to fend for themselves in the daily Avoriaz pass buying scrum. I would ask the same question on the Avoriaz facebook page. They have been very helpful.
snow conditions
@Iantr
In Les Gets and as ZZZ says not been good for Avoriaz. We had LGM passes and were unable to upgrade at first. I cannot tell you how many I have bumped into that booked xmas knowing the gamble but with Avoriaz as the back up and they will be thinking twice in the future.

The picture is changing all the time and today in Avoriaz we got 2 day passes and were offered 3 and they are no longer checking acomodation. Les Gets are expecting a dump this weekend but as others have said it will need that and more.

My advice is to think about your circumstances and what you are prepared to do. With the prospects of no skiing in Avoriaz last weekend for us we drove 1.15hrs to Courmayeur and had a fantastic time. Others have driven 2.5 hrs to either Pila or Cervinia stayed overnight and the pictures they have are amazing. Be prepared but with the hope Les Gets gets going this weekend.
snow report
@Wrekingirl, I'm really surprised you were able to buy Avoriaz passes no questions asked. Friends of ours staying in Morzine had to jump through hoops to get them.

Skied in Avoriaz today - conditions disimproving. Crowded pistes down to the Lindarets bowl lead to carnage with bodies toppling and barely room to ski around them. Relatively quieter pistes up at Mossettes and Chavanette are now scraping thin with rocks, grass and tree stumps the norm rather than the exception.

Just a warning to anyone skiing Avoriaz - don't expect it to be pretty, and avoid the Lindarets bowl!
ski holidays
IanTr wrote:
Hi there. Frequent visitor to Les Gets here. Unfortunately arriving this Saturday for a week. Will have a car so able to get about if we need to. Obviously would like to do some skiing even if "some" is the operative word...

At present we've pre-booked LGM-only passes online. Should I try to see if these can be "upgraded" to PDS in order to maximise our chances of being able to ski in Avoriaz? Will a PDS pass issued in Les Gets get the holder an Avoriaz pass if the restrictions continue?

Any help on this welcomed!

And yes.... I appreciate that these are mountains and that the weather could surprise us all. Let's hope so. I'd like to make what preparations I can anyway.

I asked SERMA the question of whether a Les Gets issued pre booked (online) PDS pass would get you access to Avoriaz, the answer was YES!! Being able to upgrade a local pass though is probably not possible under the restrictions, as in effect they would be issuing a new pass, which they can't do at present.
ski holidays
I think the reports of Avoriaz suddenly allowing anyone to buy a lift pass must tally with my experience today of dangerously overcrowded pistes. A numbers game: do a run too many times and you will be belted by someone. A few people in our group got hit, luckily no harm done. But didn't like the amount of stretchers I saw being run up and down the slopes, or sharing the Prodains car down with an upset injured girl.

Anyone know whether the Avoriaz policy on lift passes has changed, and why?
ski holidays
Having spent the last two days skiing everything in the PDS multiple times, my appraisal is this. Most pistes have a thin veneer of snow over rock hard boiler plate ice although there are some sections where it is just slush. Most people can't ski those of conditions at all well resulting in higher frequency of collisions and there are lots of out of control skiers around plus an abundance of people desperately just trying to get down the slopes somehow. There really is only about a 20cm Base at most so the piste maintenance blokes can't do anything more than they are doing.and unfortunately that means lots of rocks on the pistes and also twigs from shrubs that should be covered.

The various forecasted dumps keep getting pushed back and reduced in size but one days heavy snow will not sort it out. They need a week of consistently heavy snow and low temperatures.

If you can change your dates and / or resort I would highly recommend. Very few people indeed are going to enjoy a week of what is on offer now.
snow report
@dsoutar, Sad
ski holidays
If we get the suggested snowfall for this weekend on the current base the skiing over new year should be very good. In Chatel for example there is base down on the return run to the Pre la Joux area, so with fresh snowfall it should run well. 30-50cm will make a significant difference along with cold temps and further snowmaking.

The current lack of snow is badly compounded by the fact no one can ski in most of the PdS and it is crowded in the Avoriaz and Chatel areas. If the neighboring resorts manage to open the pistes will stay in much better condition than they currently have been.

But yes ideally we need more natural snow then 30-50 but for now it will help a lot! If you consider our average snowfall we are spoiled compared to some resorts worldwide, notably Aussie and NZ ski fields where about 2.5m a season can be the norm we average over 7m. So you can survive on very little but the holiday periods even with huge snowfall are and will always be far from ideal, down the the ice, not always rocks but you will always find large bumps and ice during any of the UK and European holiday period.

I can assure you of this as I teach here in the PdS all winter and during the holidays a top up really helps to cover some of that ice but ultimately it can become so busy that it will always get scraped off badly and more so in the bottle neck areas.
snow report
If we do receive 50cms at low level then much of the Pleney/Les Gets area will open up next week and all will be well with the world. Or, as well as it can be with the average number of new year skiers arriving
latest report
Forgot to add that it is no longer possible to ski into Swiss sector from Avoriaz
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy