Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2014/2015

Poster: A snowHead
Webcams on valdilliez.ch (Champoussin, Morgins, Champery) showing at least a light covering of snow before dark today. At least there's something Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Snowing moderately outside now, here in Lausanne, at 600m. Temp is 1c, so it should mean some snow for PdS.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Inconsequential snow this eve. Sad Sad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well its a start - 12cm at 1200m this morning
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Woke up in the night to find out it was dumping with snow, I don't know what time that was. But as @Chatel Snow says a healthy amount this morning, and it's still snowing, although lightly now. Snow plough woke me up too, I was so unused to the sound I couldn't figure out what it was - then realised and went back to sleep, smiling.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Snow canons are on in and around Avoriaz this morning..
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@FreeBeer, Good news. They looked like they were on last night on top half of Linga - but nothing on lower down this morning - still not quite cold or dry enough air. Hoping to hike up Linga after lunch to check on conditions...

Snow has stopped here - so 12cm was it. 2 more chances of snow coming up in the next few days.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snow in Seytroux and still chucking it in Morzine
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Seen plenty of photos of the white stuff on my FB feed this morning, people clearing drives and cars snowHead

But an announcement from Chatel that current conditions don't permit the opening of the area this weekend as planned. That could change though maybe.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

But an announcement from Chatel that current conditions don't permit the opening of the area this weekend as planned. That could change though maybe.

Thats not good! Was planning to come out on the 12th!

I am sick of looking at this website!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Would anyone have a clue to this going ahead? Now Flaine has pushed back to the Xmas week I am not feeling confident about it happening?

http://www.avoriaz.com/en/events/ski-area-opening
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We're due out Saturday AM and our chalet host said they've been running the cannons 24hr/day in Avoriaz, even had to get extra staff in to run them overnight as they turn off at dark (allegedly). It's certainly looking whiter in that part of the PDS today though ...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

they turn off at dark (allegedly)

Puzzled not down my way they don't.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@crashd, in 1988 they were 100% automated, switching themselves on and off when snowmaking was possible.

I can't imagine they've gone backwards.

And I've never heard of them switching off at night, anywhere.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@crashd, I wouldn't rely on your chalet host for any advice in resoresort!!!
snow report
Yeah, it did sound a bit fanciful to be fair.
latest report
Also I am thinking they are only carrying on with it because of this rock festival on those dates, Shaun White is going to bust a triple cork off the grass!
snow conditions
Snow cannon have been on overnight and through much of the morning at all altitudes in Chatel - as we actually had a cold night!
It was looking very pleasant up at Super Chatel this morning and a report and more photos can be found at...
http://www.chatelweb.com/chatel_snow_report.php

latest report
That's looking a bit better and thanks to @Chatel Snow, foir the continued updates.
ski holidays
From Avoriaz 1800 Facebook :

expected, we will open the ski resort Friday morning. All people here are working hard to open many ski slopes.

➜ The Chavanette and Arare area and will be open for sure.
➜ If snowfall announced Thursday are confirmed, the Lindarets area could also open.
➜ A full point with a list of the open slopes will be made on Thursday, December 11 at 18:30.

Reminder : the 1 day lift ticket is at a single price of €19.50.

Not sure how much is a brave face though...
snow report
There has been some light snow on and off overnight and this morning in Chatel - but temperatures are again higher than forecast - so its all a bit wet and slushy here at resort altitude (1200m). We may see some light snow on and off through the day.
Will check on conditions higher up this afternoon (not sure where yet) and am hoping to hike to top of Rochassons tomorrow morning.
ski holidays
@Chatel Snow, thank you for all the reports, appreciated.
ski holidays
@DJL, Still very touch and go though to be honest and we may need that potential snowfall midweek next week to deliver the goods as conditions do not look at all favourable for snow making over the next 7 days and any fresh snow for Saturday / Sunday is very much in the balance. Will know a lot more once I have been above Plaine Dranse tomorrow.
ski holidays
@Louis, You are very welcome - snow dance required from everybody!
latest report
Announced today. Due to lack of snow only the Arare will open this weekend. I'm guessing the lifts running will be the four man to the top and the six man (maybe) that goes halfway. Hmmm
snow conditions
I fly out to the pds on Saturday,should I panic now or is it still too early.......
snow report
Only the Arare open. Depends what you want out off it. The skiing is going to be really limited but, hey, you're on holiday.
ski holidays
Zzz how many pistes in the arare area?id be happy with only few hours a day
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I’m going to be in Morzine next week with a couple of mates (Tuesday – Saturday). We’re staying at Chalet Alice. Many thanks for the inside knowledge on the conditions. I had a great time on the EOSB last year, but unfortunately as a teacher it is difficult to get the holidays right for the bashes. If any Snowheads are in Avoriaz next week, get in touch for a ski or more likely a bit of après.
snow report
I was in Morzine last year for the equivalent week (skiing Avoriaz obviously) and the first couple of days (Sun/Mon) were pretty mental around Avoriaz - a couple of long queues especially around Chavanette and Arare. I think they had a ski / snowboard test on that weekend too? There also loads of stones and rocks - some of the open pistes were pretty sketchy.

That year they had Chavanette, Arare, Lindarets and Linga / Pre La Joux open in Chatel. Linga / Pre La Joux were excellent, and although it made the lift pass more expensive it was completely worth it.

My top tip would be to head over that way if it's open, as it's fairly high altitude and has snow making - the problem with Chavanette and Arare that I could see was the snow making seemed pretty limited.
ski holidays
@driz, see above. Arare only.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@driz, see above. Arare only.

Indeed. Maybe there will be some skiing in Plain Dranse etc but there are no links open so a car will be required.

With Xmas rapidly approaching and friends visiting we are considering options, largely involving drinking my rather good (if I may say so myself) home brew. Under a new name, are you around? We need to catch up.
snow report
@tman80,
There are two pistes, roughly, plus the odd variation in between.
snow report
Ps. The ski test is on this weekend so expect the odd queue.
ski holidays
@zzz thanks for that,I was thinking it would be pretty busy on sat and sun with the test and only a very small section open,would be good if plain dranse opened,here's hoping.
snow conditions
zzz: is there some hike-able ski in the Plain Dranse area? The last Chatel press info seemed to suggest they wont open until next weekend now :\
ski holidays
@crashd,

Unless it's man made its unskiable. If they aren't opening then it would suggest they havn't made enough snow.

The 0 degree isotherm is forecast to be at 2000m this weekend. Above most of the PDS skiing making snow making unlikely.

Unfortunate but that is the reality.
snow conditions
@zzz, we do need to catch up. Is the zzz export strength good then?
ski holidays
@tman80, Unfortunately Plaine Dranse will not be open this weekend - was up there yesterday. See
http://www.chatelweb.com/chatel_snow_report.php

The reality is beginning to dawn on people here in Chatel that this situation could go on for a while.
Snowmaking has not been possible over the last few weeks, apart from a very short window of opportunity earlier this week. Snowmaking will not be possible over the coming days at most or all altitudes.

There is less than 10cm of natural snow below Plaine Dranse and not much more above - officially 15cm at the top (am hoping to hike to Rochassons top station tomorrow).

There is perhaps a bit of snow arriving Sunday / Monday but the overall situation isn't going to improve in the near future as there are some worryingly warm temperatures now being modelled for a couple of days from midweek. There could be an northwesterly incursion towards next weekend, but this remains a week away and by then, if it does arrive, it may be a case of starting from scratch on the lower slopes as the snow may have gone if this warm weather arrives midweek (or a lot of the lower slope snow may have gone before then as this weekend is going to be mild too!!!).

Trying to find positives is difficult - but the potential warm spell could be downgraded in the charts over the next couple of days and the early and end of week snowfalls could be upgraded. This appears to be our best hope. However, the situ is pretty grim to be honest and it is difficult, at the moment, unless these charts change considerably, to see how anything will be able to open below Plaine Dranse (or maybe even above) on the 20th.
snow report
Where are all the " it will be all right on the night" people now? I was just outside in Geneva, wearing a shirt. It will have to get seriously cold in a hurry to avoid a XMAS debacle.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy