Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2014/2015

Poster: A snowHead
Any news on conditions in Morzine/Les Gets. The sky looks black on the webcams, does that mean rain on the mountain or has there been any snow up top?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Snow up in Avoriaz - rain/ sleet in Morzine
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Stopped at noon today as snow was so heavy, sticky and slushy. Didn't make it to Avoriaz due to cloud cover. Last day in Morzine tomorrow then off to Thollon les Memises to stay with family. Will actively be encouraging them to go to Avoriaz or higher on day passes as anything lower is pretty miserable by midday.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Heading out on Sunday for a week, staying between Morzine and Avoriaz but as we've got PdS passes we shall head to Avoriaz on the Prodains lift (I think - not been there before!)

Meteo France forecast looks... Rainy.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Avoriaz or higher

where would higher be?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quite a few if you're prepared to drive wink

http://www.europeanskiresorts.co.uk/ski_resort_list.php
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We had a very pleasant day yesterday at Praz de Lys/Sommand, which took us about 20 minutes to drive there and get our tickets sorted - using the last of our three reciprocal 'free' tickets with our PDS season passes. It was almost deserted and we had a wonderful time - working our way around the two areas to make the most of the slopes before the sun affected them. I think we only heard about four or six English voices the whole time - all duly wearing helmets - but the rest were French and hardly a helmet to be seen anywhere. We skied from 9 to about 1.30 and then stopped for lunch at Chez Jean de la Pipe. By this time of year we tend to only be skiing in the mornings in any case.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
All white again this morning in Chatel!

Only about an inch here at 1200m but nice to see it looking a bit wintry again.

Currently foggy. There's a bit more snow forecast but the forecasts have been very changeable recently. Looking like a return to warmer temps again too next week.

Been out skiing PLJ every day. Conditions are generally good and holding up well. Heavy early on though and yesterday there hadn't been an overnight freeze.

Drove down the valley yesteday afternoon and was a bit shocked to see Cret beni looking quite bare on the red home run, much different to less than a week ago.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quite nice conditions up there today! Probably around 3-4 inches or so which had freshened things up nicely higher up. Nice grippy squeaky snow. Still heavy on the lower slopes though. No one around due to the fog Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@sarah, Fog - Schmog! I'm still envious.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@DJL, snowHead only went up to go out with a kids lesson as really good fun! Nice up there round the trees but it was total white out at the top of the Cornebois! Got a cough that I'm trying to shake off, not what I wanted for my last couple of weeks Sad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Departing tomorrow for Avoriaz and going through the usual phase of trying to find a weather forecast that tells the story I want it to. At the moment I'm pleased we are up in Avoriaz as there could be quite a lot of precipitation in the area next week. Snow in Avoriaz, but a lot of rain down below. I suppose the flip side of that is that at least the visibility will be better down lower. Life was so much easier before the internet. In days of old you had no idea what the snow was going to be like until you asked the rep in the coach, and no idea what the weather would be like until you looked out the window.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@foxtrotzulu, check out chatelweb for decent forecasts and snow reports. He's rarely wrong!! The conditions are great anywsy considering it's not been a very snowy season and we've had a lot of warm weather recently. Currently having a coffee in the sun having had a few runs on empty albeit hard slopes snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@sarah, sounds great. I am out on Sunday week for a few days and cant wait. Was in the 3 Valleys recently but always feel like I am cheating on the PDS when I go elsewhere Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just heard from my OH and daughter who have been out in Les Gets and Morzine this morning - Chamossiere area quiet, pistes hard but v. good and they were heading over to Nyon. I am being the peacemaker with the 2.5 year old and 4 month little girls. And hope to go out a bit later as we are boxing and coxing all this childcare. Sun is out for now so much to appreciate.
snow report
So the clouds rolled in yesterday afternoon and the weather has changed Sad We've had a lot of rain and wind too. The FL has been up towards 2000m. Forecast is similar for the next couple of days. I bought a poncho today Laughing
latest report
@sarah, cheaper to stay indoors and drink coffee. Probably more enjoyable too!

Very Happy
latest report
@zzz, Laughing
ski holidays
sounds as if it's the same eveywhere in the vicinity, @sarah, still raining here too. Snow level supposed to be coming down during the night - we'll see!
ski holidays
Is it snowing in Avoriaz yet?
snow report
Good morning from a wet Chatel! It's raining here at 1200m but I can see snow on the trees not all that much higher than me so I'm guessing the FL has dropped to maybe around 1600m?? Lots of blasting going on here this morning. We have a houseful of guests here with kids all in lessons and so we're up and out there anyway Laughing
ski holidays
Good morning from a rather drippy Les Gets - it has snowed overnight so the roof and cars are white, currently at 8 a.m. showing -00.7C - and raining but looking like white rain coming down where we are at about 1225m. We also have small people here but none large enough to be skiing - very noisy though!
snow conditions
Arrived in Avoriaz yesterday afternoon. The good news is that in the last 24 hours early we have had precipitation by the shed load. The bad news is that most of it was/is rain. After several hours of heavy rain the snow line shifted slightly yo give Avoriaz about 20cm of fresh snow. It's hard to know how much as the wind has drifted it so much. Today the snow line seems to be around 2,000 metres with high winds and atrocious visibility. Worst conditions I've ever skied in. We called it a day at 11.15. At resort level (1800) it is now just hissing down and not even pretending to snow. Friends from Morzine report that it's even more miserable down there.very heavy rain all night and zero fresh snow. Morzine looked very sad when we drove through yesterday with just a whitish ribbon amongst the green slopes, but I gather today the rain has done a lot of damage. It's all very, very depressing.

The good news for anyone coming out NEXT week is that it's due to get colder, sunnier and this week's snow is likely to refresh some of the higher areas.
snow report
@foxtrotzulu,

Morzine always looks like this at the end of March. In fact it has held up surprisingly well considering the lack of snow over the last few weeks. The two pomas were running until yesterday.

The forecast looks better for you as the week goes on.
snow report
Currently have three heated towel rails, three clothes horses, the stove and the tumble dryer on the go drying the gear of 9 wet people Laughing

Wet wet wet out there. Wouldn't have gone out except for guests here and kids in lessons, and I was helping lessons.

Delayed lift opening first thing. The snow is very wet and very heavy. Visibility poor to zero at times. There was strong wind and some temporary lift closures this morning.

Forecast is poor.

My 5E Chatel cape wasn't much use really! Maybe slightly better than nothing.

But every cloud and all that...the Black Diamond gore tex gloves I got cheap in TK Maxx were superb, totally dry inside Very Happy
snow conditions
zzz wrote:
@foxtrotzulu,

Morzine always looks like this at the end of March. In fact it has held up surprisingly well considering the lack of snow over the last few weeks. The two pomas were running until yesterday.

The forecast looks better for you as the week goes on.

That makes sense. I'd often heard people rave about Morzine and I think someone even suggested it for our trip this week. Thank goodness we didn't take their advice! Do I assume from your post above that Morzine has now closed down for the season? Presumably a few people will still carry on taking the Prodains Express for a few days more.
snow report
sarah wrote:
Currently have three heated towel rails, three clothes horses, the stove and the tumble dryer on the go drying the gear of 9 wet people Laughing

Wet wet wet out there. Wouldn't have gone out except for guests here and kids in lessons, and I was helping lessons.

Delayed lift opening first thing. The snow is very wet and very heavy. Visibility poor to zero at times. There was strong wind and some temporary lift closures this morning.

Forecast is poor.

My 5E Chatel cape wasn't much use really! Maybe slightly better than nothing.

But every cloud and all that...the Black Diamond gore tex gloves I got cheap in TK Maxx were superb, totally dry inside Very Happy

On another post I queried why anyone would ever need Goretex ski wear. I think I now understand, although I maintain that if you need it regularly you are still doing something wrong!
snow report
@foxtrotzulu, morzine at this time of year is where you eat, sleep, drink and party, skiing tends to be higher up, as you've noticed.

It's certainly not shut down and I would expect that the Pleney plateau was full of miserable instructors in rain coats with trails of miserable kids this morning Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@foxtrotzulu, first time really used them in anger, impressed!!
snow report
@foxtrotzulu, I think that @zzz, was just referring to two drag lifts right at the bottom -
Quote:

The two pomas were running until yesterday.

My OH and daughter went over towards Nyon first thing this morning, getting very wet on the Troncs lift and heading home again via the Charniaz Express so Morzine is not shut down. Just a bit miserable everywhere out there today. Looking over to Mt Chery this evening it all looks much whiter again.
snow report
Quote:

morzine at this time of year is where you eat, sleep, drink and party, skiing tends to be higher up, as you've noticed

true of lots of ski resorts, isn't it? Mayrhofen, Courmayeur, Whistler, to name but three.
snow conditions
@pam w, i'd say so.
ski holidays
Indeed, to all of you.
snow report
Hi guys, Sadly to say we are in chatel for the week and it has not stopped raining since we got here. We even drove for 45 mins to the nearest decathlon to get extra fleece layers and rain ponchos to put over out 10.000 waterproof rated gear.

Anyway, does anyone know how long it takes to drive from chatel to morzine? I noticed something about road closures/road works on the way to morzine. I have a snowboard lesson in morzine on Thursday, and if the weather stays this pants I may drive down, as our car is at least dry!

Does anyone have any advice on this?

Thanks Simone
ski holidays
@Monie&Dave, why "sadly to say"?

Forecast quite encouraging. Get yourself above 1,500m (mqybe after tomorrow) and you'll be fine.

Why on earth did you book a Morzine lesson if staying in Chatel?
ski holidays
Oh and I would suggest the drive is about 45 mns.
latest report
@under a new name, Laughing

Morning from Chatel Very Happy It is currently dry, the cloud cover is broken and I can see blue above Very Happy seems breezy here at 1200m. Lots of blasting again. Forecast improved.

Get out there bright and early today to beat the rain!
ski holidays
08.40 bus from Morzine to Ardent today. Hoping for a minor powderday if last nights rain is anything to go by.
snow report
Quote:

powder

Hmm.
snow report
Sorry, have to explain, my lesson is at the top of ardent, should only be two lifts and one run down to get to from pre la joux. Booked it because I used the instructor last year in morzine and he was great. Links to avoriaz from pre la joux have been iffy though, and we don't want to get stuck on the wrong side of the mountain and not be able to get back, hence plan b was to drive.

No one knows anything about those road closures?

Cheers,

Simone
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy