Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 14/15 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
for a wee while, @HoneyBunny. Forecasts seem to agree it'll be very mild again in a couple of days though with much uncertainty thereafter. We await the onset of winter, like at home - I'd normally have heating on by now.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Temperatures look set to rise at the end of this week and over the weekend, but ECM also sees quite a cool down over the Alps by the following week.

I'd be pretty cautious about that both because of the range and the spread of outcomes on the table, but there do seem to be a number of colder options cropping up at present.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hmm. GFS 12z FI shows high pressure staying put inor around Eastern Europe which at present means a continuation of milder than usual air being pulled up from the south.

On the positive side in the short term snow showers to quite low levels in the Alps early next week and in the longer term plenty of time for GFS to buck it's ideas up.

Wonder what ECM will show later.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A year's worth of rain in just a few days brings massive floods to northern Italy and Switzerland:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30072485
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bloody cold here thanks to the very large blocking high over to the east. It seems to stretch from the Crimea right across to Norway, massive and extremely settled. The good news means that the ground temperatures are finally going in the right direction and at altitude it is already frozen. The bad news is that the air is so dry my windscreen was frozen but had no ice on it! Shocked A really thin but incredibly stubborn film which I could see through. Looks like we will have this for the rest of the week too. At least the damned Föhn is finally gone!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Samerberg Sue, gone, but not forgotten... Risk it may return by weekend.

http://www.meteocentrale.ch/en/weather/foehn-and-bise/foehn.html

ECM and GFS both very warm in the Alps over weekend. Cooling by next week more so on ECM.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I need to stop checking this thread when my trip is still so far away. Still early days, right?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
looking good for higher altitudes so far.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Breckenridge is getting a pasting - 53" in the last 7 days, not to shabby after having to delay opening day Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Temperatures are going to warm up considerably in the Alps over the weekend as a Fohn picks up.

The 18z GFS op run brings some further snow showers in the middle of the following week, but there's a lot of uncertainty beyond this weekend (the 18z goes on to get very stormy the following weekend, but that's way off in FI).

Still no sign of real winter cold at this stage...

http://youtube.com/v/Qh7-ZcEtU14
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The temperatures in my part of the world are heading in the right direction despite the odd Föhn day. This is the view from the DAV hut opposite my place this morning, not too shabby I think for mid-November at a mere 1545m asl snowHead

http://www.foto-webcam.eu/webcam/hochries/#
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A mid month review from wetter24.de (which focuses on Germany).

http://www.wetter24.de/wetter-news/news/ch/d12a31dd89cae6e5aed2b3db3910f4f0/article/kleine_novemberhalbzeitbilanz.html

- Stormy weather in Southern Europe and Southern Alps has come to an end for now.
- Ticino, Switzerland had over three times the average rainfall in the first half of the month.
- Snow yesterday reached down to 700m in the Bavarian Alps.
- But overall temperatures in the first half of the month were 4-5C above average.

Salzburg is currently 3.4C above average over the last thirty days.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/global_monitoring/temperature/tn11150_30.gif

After some cooler temperatures milder weather is on the way, by this weekend temperatures in the Alps look like being 8-10C above seasonal average,with freezing levels above 3000m looking likely on Sunday. On the positive side with shorter days and low sun angle the amount of warming will be limited. Off in FI cooler and stormier weather looks possible from the middle of next week.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It is summer holidays this week, but by the end of next week this cold air mass extending from Greenland (in GFSland) will be over Western Europe, which means the end of summer. These are temps at about 1400m, higher up, at 500hPa (~5500m) they will be in the -30's. Precipitation is more uncertain.

latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cam watching and forecast watching is becoming a horrible addiction, I must stop !
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Renry, yes must stop, but the problem is that in addition to the excellent @nozawaonsen, comments we have @cota4000, who is also providing coloured charts where blue is best.
latest report
@cota4000, those temperatures on the GFS 00z for this time next week (+168) would still actually be slightly above average for the Alps for the time of year. Mind you the 06z does continue the cooling trend beyond that by the following weekend which if it verified would drop things below average.
snow report
@nozawaonsen, yep, it has been warmer on average than the norm (30 years from 1981 to 2010) in October and November, but surely the cold will arrive. And soon if GFS doesn't change its mind, as usually happens. Here is a interesting chart from Davos, although at higher altitude the anomaly was slightly smaller.

ski holidays
Just seen on the BBC News that the US is having it’s worst November for 40 yrs with 6ft of snow in some places - send it over here please snowHead
snow report
Quote:

geoffers
hors Piste

Just seen on the BBC News that the US is having it’s worst November for 40 yrs with 6ft of snow in some places - send it over here please

No, send it to the Alps, we don't want it.
latest report
Buffalo, NY may have set a new record for most snow fallen in 24h in the US. The actual record is 193 cm!

Some impressive pics and a time lapse of the Lake Effect, the cause of the massive snowfall:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/21/nyregion/snowstorm-western-new-york.html?_r=0

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2014/11/20/historic-lake-effect-snow-just-wont-stop-in-western-new-york/

http://youtube.com/v/KA9XNRHxKbg
snow report
mheadbee wrote:

No, send it to the Alps, we don't want it.

No don't some of us have to work. Keep yer rotten weather.
latest report
rod on
ski holidays
@mheadbee, that sort of snow would close all the airports (10 inches will close Geneva), the roads to the resorts and the lifts - probably for some time - with all resources focussed on keeping essential services operating to some extent.
snow conditions
That level of snow is scary. We all want it; none of us can cope with the consequences.
Just hope the folks of NE America survive.
snow conditions
Just ask anyone who went to SH Birthday Bash 10 in Arabba (or tried to go) what happens when you get too much snow at once snowHead Toofy Grin
snow report
Not sure we need to worry right now. We appear to be in the classical high pressure situation where return to cold and snow is forecast for 7 days time, but every day that seems to get put back a day, so we never seem to reach it..
ski holidays
I'm starting to worry. Obertauern booked for three weeks' time. Starting to mull over contingency plans...
ski holidays
Quote:

pam w
super-snowHead

@mheadbee, that sort of snow would close all the airports (10 inches will close Geneva), the roads to the resorts and the lifts - probably for some time - with all resources focussed on keeping essential services operating to some extent.

I am sure it would, but I also didn't think anyone would take a light hearted comment quite so literally.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Blastfromthepast wrote:
I'm starting to worry. Obertauern booked for three weeks' time. Starting to mull over contingency plans...

This might be shaping up like last year where November snow followed by warmth and then dryness through beginning of December, if I recall correctly, meant that only the high altitude resorts had a reasonable start.

Book early or late, go high.
snow conditions
@mheadbee, haha well said!
snow report
emwmarine wrote:
Blastfromthepast wrote:

This might be shaping up like last year where November snow followed by warmth and then dryness through beginning of December, if I recall correctly, meant that only the high altitude resorts had a reasonable start.

Book early or late, go high.

No, last year was great all through November and even the low lying resorts had a great start. Then it just didn't snow any more (in the North).

This season is pretty much the opposite, so lets hope it dumps all season in the North snowHead
snow conditions
@clarky999,

+1536234539
ski holidays
Blastfromthepast wrote:

A lot can happen in three weeks. Anyway, Obertauern is high and has snow cannons - so as long as it's cold, you'll be fine. It might even snow while you're there!

I'm not worried about Courchevel, I'm sure there'll be enough.

I've been skiing the pre-Christmas week for 8 years now and have always had enough snow, without fail.

Last year in Courchevel was probably the least I've known it, and it was stony in places, but there was still plenty to ski on.
ski holidays
Gavs weather videos is an excellent site and he always has interesting videos - no wonder weather forecasting is so difficult when different models show completely different results even only three weeks out - one shows wave after wave of westerlies and another suggests we might get a bit of northern blocking in a three weeks time - who knows? Being a prudent man I never book too early anyway for January - I always think by February snow is reasonably certain everywhere but so are the schoolkids.......
snow conditions
The last two GFS runs have sent temp temperatures pretty cold from around 29 November and even colder the following week. It'll be interesting to see if ECM gets on board this evening. So far its being a bit coy...

GFS also has snowfall in the Alps on Wednesday into Thursday above 1800-2000m.

Mind you if it doesn't snow there's always sand skiing...

Someone was asking about Whistler. Here is the GEFS link

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&lat=50.121&lon=-122.954

That looks like some pretty stormy weather coming up, with heavy rain in the village on Tuesday, before temperatures drop bringing a fair amount of snow. That's good news following a mild October and a dry November.
ski holidays
12z another relatively cold GFS op run once you get to the other side of next weekend.
ski holidays
High pressure dragging warm up air up from the south.

The next day or two should hopefully be the warmest weather in the Alps for some time. You can see a clear downward trend in the ensembles over the next fortnight. This morning's output is less promising than yesterday's so whilst it's in the right direction, patience is still needed for the onset of full winter.

The Arlberg

Chamonix

Wednesday/Thursday should see some snowfall abive 1800-2100m in parts of the Alps (for an idea of where see below).

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 23-11-14 17:48; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Winter really is playing a waiting game this year.
snow conditions
@Blastfromthepast, There was no snow in Obertauren last year on the 15th November
They opened on time at end of November with plenty snow
ski holidays
@2waterford, like last year, the year before, etc, etc.

Oh, do I see a pattern?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy