Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 14/15 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
When I got up, half an hour ago, it was still chucking it down, and looked very windy, but the snow seems to have eased off now, thankfully. Not stopped though. No idea how much has fallen - a lot.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
30-40cm is the official estimate in Tignes- but its still doing 60kph sideways - its going to be a long wait for the Millonex drag in the village........
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you @chocksaway, but where is this official figure published.
Certainly looks a lot more to me
And as soon as i posted snowfall down to a trickle, it started to fall again quite heavily.
Visibility changing by the minute from "not bad" to "dire" with frequent strong gusts of wind.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@zzz, indeed Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Jonpim, same here, very heavy windblown snow now. I tried to see whether our chairlift was running. It's very close but couldn't see it - visibility is poor - but could hear a piste basher at work, so the lift will not be open yet.

Especially in the high resorts there will be many lifts and pistes closed today.

I couldn't estimate depth here but am going to have to go out and start digging the terrace soon so will have a better idea. It's very uneven, of course.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Jonpim, It is published here:
http://www.tignes.net/en/skiing-in-tignes/tignes-weather-215.html
The head of piste services also confirms it on the radio - but his high speed French is generally too quick for me.

The measurement (I believe) takes place at the met station near the DVA training area in Le Lac.

Of course as Pam says its all a bit academic.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Very heavy snow across the Pyrenees, with snow falling below 600m. Strong winds are closing some lifts, and with falling temperatures access is going to be difficult by road to some resorts.

Up to 40cm fresh on the ground this morning, with heavy snow continuing until the middle of next week.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My 50 cm guess for Tignes not too far off mark if add 18+34 cm.

Powder off side of Almes over knee deep. But very heavy. Keep getting stuck in it. And cracking. Wind is still wild.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Still snowing fit to bust here - as heavy as it's been at any time since the storm began.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Especially in the high resorts there will be many lifts and pistes closed today.

Which is why if we had our 'druthers, while the snow is very welcome, this really isn't the ideal weather we'd ruther want. I am not complaining so far however...

Looking at the Grand Montets webcams looked like fairly typical wind blown accumulations. Pretty deep in places, not so much on the roof of the Bochard lift. And not so very much running - whether due wind or security I don't know.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Whats the longer term forecast, looking into 2nd week of Feb for La Clusaz?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
the best days are in raging storms if you head for the comfort of the trees.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not much open in Val disere today due to v high wind and piste security. We took funi from La Daille when it opened in the morning but conditions were diabolical at the top, got the wind burn on my face to prove it!
Le Fornet better in the afternoon. Still snowing, hopefully more open tomorrow.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I don't think val disere tignes has been more than two thirds open so far this season. Yesterday they were showing only 23 out of 164 runs open. They need a spell of settled weather. snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Peter S wrote:
I don't think val disere tignes has been more than two thirds open so far this season.

The Espace killy web sites will never show 100% of lifts open. The summer glacier lifts do not open in the winter & are therefore always shown as closed wink

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sat 31-01-15 9:27; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Yesterday in Les Arcs was challenging but I could feel my skiing improve over the day. Also, there's something magical about a quiet run through trees loaded with fresh snow.
snow report
Is there any sign of this weather settling. As fantastic as it has been to get a proper dump, if everything is closed then you are better off on worn and thin pistes that are open, obviously I realise for the sake of the season this dump helps but I am due out on Tuesday. What does the next 4-5 days look like?
snow conditions
@mheadbee, looks good - you're timing is excellent.
ski holidays
mheadbee wrote:
Is there any sign of this weather settling. As fantastic as it has been to get a proper dump, if everything is closed then you are better off on worn and thin pistes that are open, obviously I realise for the sake of the season this dump helps but I am due out on Tuesday. What does the next 4-5 days look like?

You're right if the whole resort is shut but I skied Val D'Isere earlier in the week and some runs were so icy as to be approaching being dangerous. Skiing powder bumps in Les Arcs was much better. At least if you fall over it won't hurt as much and you know you'll stop and not keep sliding down with nothing to stop you.

I'm hoping The Dolomites has sunshine and well groomed pistes waiting for me and the other Snowheads on the Bash

snowHead
snow report
Quote:

Raven
user
You're right if the whole resort is shut but I skied Val D'Isere earlier in the week and some runs were so icy as to be approaching being dangerous. Skiing powder bumps in Les Arcs was much better. At least if you fall over it won't hurt as much and you know you'll stop and not keep sliding down with nothing to stop you.

Of course you are right, the likelihood of it all being shut is low, head for the trees etc. I would take good pistes and great visibility over powder because I struggle to see when it is overcast, I literally go from a very good boarder to utterly useless within seconds if it clouds over. I have tried skiing with my glasses on but as I wear bifocals the "blind spot" is around 4-5 foot away which is probably the worst possible scenario for snowboarding as you tend to see a slight blur/out of focus strip. Close up it looks good and long distance it looks good but the bit you really want to see is a bit messy. When it gets overcast I literally start to catch edges, drop into slight bumps that I can't see and jar my back and I suddenly become a complete novice again..truly frustrating. If it is powder at least you can glide through it and feel it more than see it so it I will take powder and clouds as the second best option.

Can't bloody wait until Tuesday.
snow conditions
Renry wrote:
Whats the longer term forecast, looking into 2nd week of Feb for La Clusaz?
latest report
Looks like winter has properly arrived.
La Plagne now looking majestic. So much snow in the car park its difficult to differentiate cars from mounds of snow.
Lots of pistes almost same as "off piste". Moguls appearing all over the place.
It was gloriously sunny this morning, and kneee-deep soft fluffy snow everywhere.
Now snowing heavily again - local knowledge suggests another 20cm tonight.
Feel sorry for those leaving today, but for those coming out, they are in for a glorious week - you just might need to find some trees if you don't like skiing blind.
ski holidays
By 9am this morning we had a metre of fresh here in the Pyrenees. Heavy snow has continued for most of the day and is set to continue overnight and into Monday.

High risk of avalanche (only to be expected) and delays in opening lifts due to so much snow (again only to be expected).

snow report
@nozawaonsen, Hi, sorry to bother you, but wondering if you could comment....

Off to Corvara tomorrow, just looking at GFS, it shows that whilst Monday and Tuesday will be nice and quiet wrt weather, Wednesday onwards looks like approx 30-40cm of snow for the dolomites Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Can you please just pass comment on how likely this might be 3-4 days out? The 'wigglies' are not exactly all converging as one line...

Really appreciate your expert thoughts, looking forward to a great 9 days whatever the weather brings, but some fresh would be lurverly lol Madeye-Smiley

Thanks Neil
latest report

Hmmm... now where did I park my car?
snow report
A cold week coming up for the Alps.

Decent snow in the French Alps tomorrow, pshing east later.

WRF Sunday 12z http://www.meteocenter.eu/index.php?id=regions&region=S&section=precip&forecast=Snow&time=30#model

And again Monday overnight and again reaching the eastern Alps later in the day.

WRF Monday 03z http://www.meteocenter.eu/index.php?id=regions&region=S&section=precip&forecast=Snow&time=45#model

And a strong Genoa low. Which should bring heavy snow midweek to the Itlaian Alps and then up into Austria at the back end of the week.

@neilkav, Thursday 05 December looks particularly snowy for the Dolomites.

Les Deux Alpes.

Chamonix.

The Arlberg.

Hintertux.

Bad Gastein.

Sestriere.

Folgaria.

Zermatt.

Cairngorm.

Hemsedal.

Eastern Pyrenees.
ski holidays
Conditions are tricky right now.

A very precarious avalanche situation will be encountered over a wide area
http://www.slf.ch/lawinenbulletin/schneedecke_wetter/index_EN

Sadly four skiers killed in an avalanche at Grisons earlier today.

http://lci.tf1.fr/france/faits-divers/quatre-morts-dans-une-avalanche-dans-les-alpes-suisses-8556817.html

It's been an especially tough week with the Vallon d'arby avalanche and the six tourers killed last weekend in France as well as several other incidents.
ski holidays
This morning's output pulls snowfall further South around 05 Feb (meaning much lighter snow for the Alps), but a mix amongst the ensembles. So not clear one way or another.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Two more fatalities in Switzerland on Saturday with three on Thursday and Friday. Nine in three days in Switzerland.

http://www.rts.ch/info/suisse/6504556-crainte-de-nouveaux-drames-en-raison-du-danger-d-avalanche-en-montagne.html

As well as two fatalities in the Black Forest and one in Damüls as a result of avalanches in the last two days.
snow conditions
carnage, jesus
snow report
Sadly one of the women seriously injured in the Grisons avalanche passed away overnight bringing to 10 the number of avalanche fatalities in Switzerland in the last three days.

http://www.ledauphine.com/france-monde/2015/02/01/dix-skieurs-tues-par-des-avalanches-en-trois-jours
snow report
Ski resorts in the Appenines (IT) have difficulties opening up their slopes. But not because snow is scarce. Yesterday in Campo Imperatore.

snow report
Crazy snow in the Central Pyrenees, after yesterdays 1 metre, we have had another metre and maybe more. Strong winds and too much snow have closed both Superbagneres and Peyragudes, and at Baqueira (reporting 120cm of fresh) they only have a handful of runs open.

Still snowing heavily and more to come.

Hoping for a calm window tomorrow - but avalanche risk is 5/5.

snow conditions
^ sounds, er, great Puzzled
latest report
Pictures from live updates at french www.skipass.com

La Pierre Saint Martin (Pyrenees), lifts closed due to avalanche risk 5 on scale 5

Piau-Engaly, 200 cms accumulated new snow on sunday 1st, still more to come
snow report
More snow heading for the Apennines during the week...
snow conditions
Sadly the women in a critical comdition folloiwng the Damüls incident also passed away during the night.

http://vorarlberg.orf.at/news/stories/2692429/

A tough week. Stay safe out there.
latest report
in Eeast Tirol, the report says that 5 British Soldiers hitted by an avalanche but, thank God, all of them are alive....
ski holidays
Been snowing here in bourg d'oisans all day. The heaviest it's been over the last few days
ski holidays
Isn't is wonderful when the weather forecasters get it wrong the right way (my father was irish).
Two weeks ago the present "snow-storm" for the Tarentaise was predicted. At first it was nearly 2 metres, but this gradually reduced to 80cm.
Of course, the original prediction is going to be nearer the mark,
It's now been snowing here in La Plagne on-and-off since Thursday - 4 days. its still snowing now.
Today there is knee deep soft fluffy snow everywhere. A bit windy up top, but just bliss down among the trees.
Next time I consider moaning about forecasts overdoing the predicted snow, i will remind myself of this weekend.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy