Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 14/15 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@stefoy4me, To be honest I will accept a long transfer, diversion to a different airport as long as there is snow in resort for skiing.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ewanmalone wrote:
if this kind of situation plays out in broad strokes what would it mean?

My understanding is that a split sends very cold air south.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
When that happened 2 years ago we had a long spell of cold and snowy weather in the UK.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Now showing a more even distribution... only fair! 50cm in Austrian rersorts in next 6 days

http://www.bergfex.com/oesterreich/wetter/schneevorhersage/?t=0_144
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snow-forecast 12pm update brings more to 3v's than 6am. Was just over 30cm now showing over 50cm for fri-sat-sun. If it comes true and folks can get into the mountains and the resort isn't closed for avi reasons next week is looking pretty nice right now.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Gaza, Netweather is showing that potentially for the first weekend of the new year.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Freezing end of the year in the Alps:

ZAMG, the Austrian Met Office (Bergfex gets the data from them) has been predicting a lot of snow in the medium term all over December, but it never arrived, so I would be cautious about those maps for Austria. yr.no and meteoexploration.com are much more conservative. This time I wish Zamg were right, we will see in a few days.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Shaping up excellently for Slovenia and South East Austria. Great news and just in time for my new years holiday!

Bring it on!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
so now I get stressed by getting into GVA on Sunday instead of no snow
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think we better put the "OMG Too Much Snow" thread on standby...

cota4000's NYE map above (shwoing temps of -25 into Austria if I read it right) would, I imagine, cause a certain amount of chaos Shocked

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 24-12-14 15:01; edited 4 times in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Schilthorn Cableway in Mürren are using all available helicopters to collect snow and patch up currently closed slopes at lower levels to create a base before the storm comes -

https://vid.me/m5zy
https://vid.me/7hM5
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
cota4000 wrote:

ZAMG, the Austrian Met Office (Bergfex gets the data from them) has been predicting a lot of snow in the medium term all over December, but it never arrived, so I would be cautious about those maps for Austria.

I've not seen any evidence that ZAMG have been any more unreliable than any other forecasts? If you care to offer any I'd be interested.

As for this weekend's snowfall there is a wide range of options being produced, it seems unlikely all of them can be right (!). So I'd remain cautious on detail at this stage.

Re the impact of a disrupted polar vortex this would be likely to lead to the jet diving south allowing cold air to flow down into Europe, however that doesn't necessarily mean the whole of Europe would see cold and the UK could easily be left on the edge.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@nozawaonsen, re-read, examples given. And a few more in this same thread on previous days.

@red 27, that is at ~1500m, -25 is not unusual in Austria, even for some cities.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@cota4000, examples of what? ZAMG being more out of line than one off GFS runs? Like I said show me the evidence.

Having lived in Austria for a number of years I can safely say -25C would very exceptional in any city in Austria.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I just caught myself looking at the nutty numbers on snow-forecast... Oh the shame of it Embarassed
ski holidays
@nozawaonsen, so you are half-German?
snow report
Ok - those who know Austria - how long until the lake at Zell freezes over given sub zero temperatures?

Stunning when it does
snow report
buchanan101 wrote:
Ok - those who know Austria - how long until the lake at Zell freezes over given sub zero temperatures?

Stunning when it does

Fingers crossed it does in the next week Very Happy
snow conditions
Chris Brookes wrote:
The Schilthorn Cableway in Mürren are using all available helicopters to collect snow and patch up currently closed slopes at lower levels to create a base before the storm comes -

https://vid.me/m5zy
https://vid.me/7hM5

Wow - that's a lot of work - why won't the new snow be any good? Especially on the track (second shot) - does it really matter what type the snow is for that?
ski holidays
Well apart from the 'debate' about the exact details, I must say although we're not going till later in January, at least the outlook (however it plays out) will be a blessing to all those who are heading off to the mountains for the festive period, really glad that people's holiday's will potentially bring some decent amounts of snow. Very Happy Very Happy

It could have been a lot worse based on the last month or so, and providing there's not too much disruption, I'm pretty sure most people across the Alps will have some fun!!!

Enjoy it all, here's hoping the cold and snow carry on into January Toofy Grin
latest report
@buchanan101, I'm no expert, but a heavy snowfall onto a non-existent base=high avalanche risk as there is no consolidated snow for the new layer to stick to. Normally in Autumn fluctuating temperatures cause a freeze-thaw situation over several weeks and reduces the ground temperature which stabilises the first heavy fall.
Experts please correct me if I am wrong.
latest report
AthersT wrote:
buchanan101 wrote:

Stunning when it does

Fingers crossed it does in the next week Very Happy

Not sure I'd walk on it that quick. Rumour is there's a Porsche at the bottom.

Ever seen the ice jammer things (windsurfers on skates) from the top of the mountain?
snow report
Hells Bells wrote:
@buchanan101, I'm no expert, but a heavy snowfall onto a non-existent base=high avalanche risk as there is no consolidated snow for the new layer to stick to. Normally in Autumn fluctuating temperatures cause a freeze-thaw situation over several weeks and reduces the ground temperature which stabilises the first heavy fall.
Experts please correct me if I am wrong.

I understand that part for slopes, but dumping stuff on a road/track thing seems unnecessary.
snow conditions
@Hells Bells, is the base nonexistent? Genuine question. Tignes has had 20 to 50 cm base over last several weeks (was more but clearly less deep now due to consolidation and freeze thawing)- is that enough for a heavy dump to bond to?
snow conditions
Simply put you get what is called a temperature gradient through the snowpack. Ground level is always zero and then the temp changes through the snowpack to the current air temp. If there is a thin base and very cold air this is bad for the snowpack which develops depth hoar (weak crystals which are sugarlike) With a thin base and cold air temp the temp gradient is very harsh, ideally you have slightly higher temps when snow first falls resulting in a lower temperature gradient. With really low temps due its better if you already have a well established base.

However this will only impact the off piste really. Pisted runs are stabilised by the piste bashing machines whose weight will effectively crush the weak layer in the base of the snowpack, or not allow if to form at all.

I suspect the Austrian are moving snow so that the all of the new snow will 'stick' so to speak and not got to waste. Cheaper to move it about than rely on running cannons later n the season. Take Avoriaz for example, half a meter of snow fell and 10 days later it was all gone. If there was already a base a lot more of that snow would have survived up to the season start. I guess the Austrians just want to ensure a very solid base in case the cold weather does not set in for any length of time.

Amazing news about the snow, so happy and hope it continues on its course!
snow report
cota4000 wrote:
@nozawaonsen, so you are half-German?

Just out of interest, how does someone living in Austria for seveal years suggest that they are half German?!

Also agree that -25°C would be unusual in ANY Austrian city!
snow report
@peanuthead, on the lower slopes of some lower resorts it probably is non-existent. It appeared to be the case on those videos. Lots of people reporting green slopes all over the place.
I wouldn't call Tignes low altitude.
ski holidays
peanuthead. A heavy dump wont just slide off everywhere, it is all relative to slope aspect, angle and historical weather as well as how the new snow falls i.e. wind etc...The original base layer itself may be weak, we had rain high up not long ago which lubricates between the ground and snowpack making for very dangerous conditions. Also where the hardpack, freezethaw and winpacked snow is to be found the bond will likely be weaker between the two layers. Back in the day people would leave off piste to settle for a day or two before jumping around in the dangerous conditions. Now we are not so patient. But if you read the av bulletins and just use your head its not an issue.

Best bet in any resort is simply to ask the pisteurs who will have been up there blasting it or should at least have some advice on the snowpack.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks@R555MAC, though would I be right in thinking best thing that can happen right now is big dump. Once that consolidates it will bridge weaknesses in base. The bigger the dump the better. Is that correct?
snow conditions
GFS 12z op has first snow arriving in Switzerland and Austria tomorrow lunctime (Thursday) and strengthening on Boxing Day (Friday)

Second heavier band reaches French and Swiss Alps on Saturday morning, spreading across to Austria and Italy by lunchtime and in play through Sunday. Light snow lingers in Austria on Monday. Looks like it moves through slightly faster on this run, but that's likely to shift back and forth. Still looks cold as we head to the end of the month. Austria looks like it may pick up some more light snow on Tuesday night/Wednesday morning.
ski holidays
WRF has the snow on Saturday arriving in the French Alps from about 4am.

snow report
Chamonix-meteo are still quite conservative in their updated forecast this evening - I think they see is as a passing blizzard that may not lay down that much 'cover'... Confused

Let's hope things do 'linger lazy' which is something I like to do myself when circumstance allows Cool

SATURDAY DECEMBER 27
Mainly cloudy - getting slightly milder ‑ gale high up - uneven snowfall
SKY CONDITION : mostly cloudy - fleeting sunny spells. Period of sunshine close to 25%.
PRECIPITATION : light in the morning - may be moderate or locally fairly heavy in the afternoon - rain-snow limit below 500 m.
WIND - aloft : WNW moderate to strong -> strong to gale force.
TEMPERATURE : low -5°C - high +1°C.
Very uncertain.
EXTENDED OUTLOOK UNTIL TUESDAY DECEMBER 30 2014
Sunday : low quickly moving away over Italy, while the snowy linked disturbance could linger lazy against the northern slopes ‑ sudden wind shift likely high up, west to northeast while getting colder. Monday : very cold - morning snow flurries - sunny spells later ‑ strong N wind high up. Tuesday : sunny - severe cold - N gale likely high up.
Forecast reliability : poor.
ski holidays
@red 27, like the "linger lazy" idea, could get used to it. Off to the pub to try it out.

Happy Christmas all! Very Happy
latest report
This morning forecast for Alta Badia area had 60 odd cm predicted for Sunday, now back down to 0cm Puzzled Sad
snow conditions
craigsmfc wrote:
This morning forecast for Alta Badia area had 60 odd cm predicted for Sunday, now back down to 0cm Puzzled Sad

Sad And the very strong piste-scouring lift-shutting winds are my new object of concern
snow report
I am liking Cham Met's update for Saturday 27th...

"SKY CONDITION : mostly cloudy to overcast. Period of sunshine close to 0%.
PRECIPITATION : probably continuous ‑ at times and locally heavy in the morning ‑ rain‑snow limit towards 900 m in the morning ‑ dropping towards 500 m in the evening ‑ expected snowfall towards 1500 m : 30‑40 cm.
WIND - aloft : W ‑>NW strong ‑ at times moderate to strong.
TEMPERATURE : dropping lows."

Wind could be lived without but a little snow will be most welcome for next week's onslaught.
latest report
Overcast and leaking from the heavens here in Sport Amadé. Just driven from Wagrain to Schladming via Altenmarkt and Radstadt and light precipitation is falling from the skies - sometimes sleet, sometimes graupel (small balls of snow or ice). I think this is the first of the fronts that were predicted to pass swiftly over us. More to follow in sequence over the next few days, but so far no warnings here of a "snowmaggeden-type" event, so it should not cause any travel chaos at this end.
ski holidays
Has everyone stopped moaning about the weather and conditions yet Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@Ricklovesthepowder, the snow hasn't fallen yet. If it doesn't materialise then you'll see real moaning
latest report
Or possibly moaning about avalanche risk and high winds closing lifts....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy