Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 14/15 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:
Snow-forecast showing temps plummeting and reasonable amount of snow for next weekend in 3 valleys.

Oh no, that's jinxed it then rolling eyes
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Springlike temperatures in La Rosiere and La Thuile, certainly until the middle of this week. Sad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@red 27, probably.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Meteox website too finally showing some snow cooming into the Alps from next weekend. Has been depressingly pessimistic (and accurate) over last few weeks.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@red 27, yes just watch those wiggles flatten out now Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Whatt, 40-45cm forecast for the 29th on bergfex which I've always liked for no real reason. A long way out yet but wow could be perfect

http://www.bergfex.com/tignes/wetter/prognose/[/img]

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 21-12-14 16:00; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Linky no worky for me?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Philip1972, FIFY

http://www.bergfex.com/tignes/wetter/prognose/
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
That looks more like it!

My current favourite website lol
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
12z GFS is just rolling out.

Temperatures will peak on Tuesday before falling quite rapidly by Thursday. Light snow falling to low levels should arrive on Christmas and Boxing Day though more so in the Eastern Alps
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This run has deep low pressure sitting 600 miles further north next Saturday (over Orkney rather than Norfolk in the 06z), so it's delaying snow reaching the Alps.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
But it arrives in the western Alps down to 1200m in the early hours of Sunday morning.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
And has pushed into the eastern Alps for breakfast on Sunday, down to 300m.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Then snows all through Sunday and Monday. And off in FI some very heavy snow on New Year's Eve, but obviously that's too far out to take seriously at this stage.

Snow next weekend is going to be very dependent on how that low pressure system comes in. And that'll switch about a lot between now and then. So expect predicated snowfall figures to go up and down.

Here it is on the 12z GFS op just out.

Looks like producing some stormy weather in the UK.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@nozawaonsen, fingers crossed for the snow to arrive for everyone out for New Year...
latest report
I have been following these forecasts with interest in the lead up to a mid January trip. One abbreviation that has cropped up a few times that I can't figure out is FI? Anyone able to shed some light? Puzzled
snow report
@Garioch, just means beyond the reliable output. Stands for Fantasy Island.
snow conditions
@nozawaonsen, many thanks...I genuinely would never have worked that one out. All my best guesses involved Freezing something or other. Very Happy
ski holidays
Been quite a chilly day today. Inversion around 1150m tonight where it was minus 3.5 but minus 2 and cannons blowing in Les Saisies at 1650. And a sky full of stars. snowHead
snow report
ECM also bringing that storm across next weekend, a little slower than GFS. Could be stormy in UK.

ski holidays
Just back from Morzine yesterday - worst snow we've ever seen in December in Europe in last 8 years - resort shut due to virtually no snow so had to ski Avoriaz - and that was a bit grim at times in terms of highly limited runs and also rain!!!!!!!!!!!!! First day (last Sunday) ski passes were 10 euro which puts it in perspective. Found some nice powder on one run on last day tho.......Smile

Basically - sure you have guessed this - its just too warm!!!! Precipitation has been there but not coming down as snow. Freezing point last week was about 1000m higher than it should be. The saddest sight of all was the frantic relocating of snow in Morzine town so the kids ski area can be used over next day or two - about 30 square metres. Really hope things pick up soon - the locals are pretty upset they are letting the tourists down though there's little they can do; some have been doing snow dances already

Unless a big system laden with cooler temps hit I'd be amazed if Morzine is fully open before late January on current evidence Skullie
ski holidays
The Arlberg

Chamonix

Cairngorm

snow conditions
So starting look like an event of decent proportions for next weekend.

Stormy in the uk could cause some issue with flights.

What a nightmare that would be, snow at long last then can't fly out or have issues landing due to snow etc.
ski holidays
Of course, we've seen those squiggles and forecasts already this year, many times, only for them to dissipate as the time draws near. Will it be different this time?

We all hope so but not counting chickens yet.
snow conditions
@peanuthead, you're a 'glass half empty' type - am I right?
ski holidays
Peanut.... Cheer up mate...... Unless you are out there now, in which case I have massive sympathy!!!
snow report
Well, you know, @peanuthead, we had a pretty nice day in Verbier today. Bits of powder, some nice bumps, sunshine, mountains, etc.
snow report
Yep and we had a fabulous day skiing in lowly Wagrain in Austria. Some nice shallow stashes of powder if you know where to look and wanted to risk it. Ground is frozen so hard the ski schools and pisteurs could not drill into it to put up the netting! Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@peanuthead, if you've seen charts like that this season I'd be curious to know when.
latest report
@nozawaonsen, I haven't seen them disappear, they've been reasonably accurate.
snow conditions
You tell him noza!!! Lol

This is it, get the season back on track.

Surely too many times it's cropping up to disappoint this time
ski holidays
Don't worry guys, that post won't make it any less or more likely predictions will come through or not. If ye are telling me this is the real thing then that's great (though feels like we've been told that before...).

When it dumps I would be delighted for ye all to post a big I told you so
ski holidays
peanuthead wrote:
(though feels like we've been told that before...).

I find this a little bit annoying. Please tell me when?
latest report
@nozawaonsen +1, we haven't had much more than a sniff of snow in the forecast since mid-November, until the decent little fall we got last week.
snow report
Need a big dump of snow, hope this is it.
snow conditions
Good day at Stubai today, if windy. -9°C, much better coverage than the last time I was up there, lots of nice wind-blown powder in the right couloirs and slopes, enough snow to ski down the Wilde Grub'n to the bottom.
latest report
@Ricklovesthepowder, I think it looks like snowfall to low levels next weekend, but less clear whether it will be a lot of snow or not.

Still looks like snow for Austria and Switzerland on Christmas Day and Boxing Day on the 18z op run, a bit less next weekend across the Alos on that run (though still strong on the parallel run).
latest report
@nozawaonsen, how is southern Scotland looking for this potential Storm on 26/27th?
ski holidays
@Ricklovesthepowder, wet and windy, but it's too far out to get a real sense of how wet or windy (much the same as the Alps). But I'd certainly be keeping an eye on forecasts at this stage if I was planning on being outside to see which way conditions go.
latest report
Best to uncross the fingers for this one. And no cheating and crossing the toes instead! Mother Nature is allowed to change her mind, we are all at her mercy.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy