Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ben Nevis

Poster: A snowHead
Tired legs now after a few days on Ben Nevis and its outlier mountains with thousands of meters of vertical climbed, much of it with axe and crampons plus a few tricky cornices to negotiate on topping-out. I had an amazing time though, and I'm still grinning ear-to-ear although my face is glowing from lack of sunscreen. Embarassed It was all new terrain for me, and quite challenging too so it was quite a full-on trip. The descents of gullies 3 and 4 on Ben Nevis were spectacular, if nerve-wracking and lines west and east of Carn Mor Dearg among others were super-lush. The Carn Mor bowl (the highest of the East-facing bowls off Carn Mor Dearg) was sensational in the sunshine. Bit of a photo dump coming up ...

Jumping snow bridges outside the CIC

Working out a way in

High up in number 4 gully

Cranking turns in number 4

Wide open snow high in Coire na Ciste

Exiting number 4

Above No. 3 on Ben Nevis with a view towards Carn Mor Dearg & a glimpse of Aonach Mor beyond

Tooling up to tackle a big, overhanging cornice

HighRustler exiting number 3 gully

A view from the CIC to some of the gullies we skied above Coire na Ciste

Looking over to the west face of Aonach Mor from the summit of Carn Mor Dearg

firstracks cranking turns high up in the Carn Mor bowl

Lush snow under on the west face of Carn Mor Dearg

Ben Nevis, Coire Leis and Observatory Gully from the summit of Carn Mor Dearg

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 12-12-14 13:50; edited 5 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oh yes please
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not enough of a photo dump for me.

Great pictures. Did you sort it out yourself?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looks great : would loved to have joined you, next time Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nice!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
great pics thanks for posting, is this one from FB from the same trip?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203762442886293&set=gm.778496168836694&type=1&theater
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cracking Ross Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nice one. Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
moffatross, Excellent. I'm hankering after a similar trip myself.

Quote:
The descents of gullies 3 and 4 on Ben Nevis

Which are which on the photo's ?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
moffatross, Nice pictures, I like number 2, Toofy Grin gloves look cool Laughing Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
good pointing in pic 1 Cool

looks great up there right now
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wow! What a trip!

Nice photos and thanks for sharing.

I'd be interested to know how you organised it too.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nice, I remember a mate getting winched off by a helicopter at the little hut in your last photo. There is a handy radio telephone.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nice pics, thanks. I haven't done enough wild skiing this year... Sad
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
nice. the lope in photo number 6 looks pretty steep - where was that?
latest report
boardiac wrote:
nice. the lope in photo number 6 looks pretty steep - where was that?

I agree, the lope in photo number six looks pretty teep, but the lope in number 8 looks even teeper! wink
latest report
^ It was. Here's me just after unclipping from the rope ...

latest report
Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
moffatross, Up until that point, I thought I'd have enjoyed the trip. Now, I have to confess, that's out of my league!
Whose were the tracks above yours?!
ski holidays
Chamcham, whoever it was seems to have gone into flight mode after a few meters!
snow report
Steilhang, Respect Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
moffatross, O.M.G. That is a vertical wall you're about to ski!
ski holidays
Looks awesome!! I really need to get on the ski touring next winter... My trip out to the West Coast the weekend before last was rather more sedate than that:

snow report
Thanks for all the nice comments. Cool

lynseyf, yep. In the snowhead's world, he's firstracks.

Mosha Marc, kat.ryb, I'm not good at organising. I was just tagging along. Madeye-Smiley

Haggis_Trap, hope so. Very Happy

AndAnotherThing.., there's a good source of info here ... http://www.steepscotland.info/ben_nevis/ and in Kenny Biggin's book ... http://www.skimountain.co.uk/scottish-offpiste-skiing-snowboarding-nevis

davidof, that little hut is the CIC that we stayed in for 2 nights. Its emergency radio phone is a nice touch since there's no mobile reception there.

Chamcham, not my tracks, those belong to firstracks ... although they could have been made by any of the better skiers with me in fact. As Haggis_Trap knows, I'm not a pretty skier Embarassed but God loves a trier. Laughing

boardiac, here's some SSSSSSS's Toofy Grin That was off the East face of Carn Mor Dearg (between Ben Nevis and Aonach Mor), in its highest bowl.

kat.ryb, nowhere near vertical and as so often with photos, it looks steeper than it was. It was gully four which I think was probably 50-55 degrees or so at its very steepest. Gully three was a bit steeper.
ski holidays
Awesomes snowHead
ski holidays
moffatross, Yep,I have the book* hence the question. I wondered which of your photo's relates to which gully - just for reference Very Happy

I'm guessing pic #3 is Number 4 gully while pic #5 & the 'rope' pic are Number 3 ?

*apparently there is a second one in production snowHead
ski holidays
AndAnotherThing.., yes, Kenny has been rather busy around Glencoe this past winter. So photos three, eight and the last one I posted as I come of the rope are of '4' and photos four and five and eleven are '3'. Coming off the confidence rope on '3' took a bit more heart searching, but then again, I am a lot of a pussy and I shudder to think what firstracks was feeling entering gully 2 around the same time without one. Skullie

There was skiing in wide open places too. Here's a photo HighRustler sent me as I'm skiing the bowl under the shark fin off the east of Carn Mor Dearg.

snow report
moffatross, Very nice. I usually manage a couple of days up there a year but have yet to score anything interestingly steep other than the flypaper. I've been reading through the book and would love to try and spot a weather window and spend a week or two ticking a few off.

Nothing wrong with ropes I'd say Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I think was probably 50-55 degrees

That is basically vertical to my mind for skiabilityat the moment wink
snow conditions
moffatross, kat.ryb,

Anywhere that you need a roped to start off is steep enough Happy! Respect to you all!
latest report
moffatross wrote:

There was skiing in wide open places too. Here's a photo HighRustler sent me as I'm skiing the bowl under the shark fin off the east of Carn Mor Dearg.

$$$
snow conditions
moffatross wrote:

davidof, that little hut is the CIC that we stayed in for 2 nights. Its emergency radio phone is a nice touch since there's no mobile reception there.

It was a dreich spring day, a shroud of cloud hanging just above the rocky terrain. Down the valley we could make out the yellow RAF helicopter buzzing up and down like an angry wasp. A gust of wind and the cloud lifted just a bit, the angry wasp came buzzing up the the valley, the pilot asking for every one of the 1600 horse power of the twin Rolls-Royce Gnome engines. The rotors stirring up the low cloud just above into whirlpools. We made Y shapes with our arms, the craft settled down between two large boulders and the engineer grabbed our friend and bundled him into the voluminous cargo bay. Somewhat grudgingly the turbines were once again asked to give every pound of thrust, the rotors accelerated and the aircraft was gone, skimming down the slope sandwiched between thick cloud and a rocky moonscape. The sound of the engines became muffled and we started our long trudge back down to Fort William.

The landing made quiet a stir, traffic was stopped on the main road in Fort William to allow the helicopter to land and an ambulance then whisked our friend to the local hospital for stitches and an overnight stay.
snow conditions
davidof, that's a beautiful description of quite a serious event. I can imagine being there now, although I'm glad I wasn't.
snow report
Quote:
whoever it was seems to have gone into flight mode after a few meters!

More pix filtering out of cameras & phones. The moment firstracks's skis left the snow Cool ...

snow report
moffatross, I was hoping you'd have a photo of him landing too wink
ski holidays
Loving these photos. It's got me in the mood to go searching over the next few weeks before heading back out to the Alps for summer. Very Happy
snow report
Great to see a bit pf gnarly terrain from home (British Isles).

The last pic certainly doesn't look like "dropping in parrallel", it that a "reverse stem turn"? wink
snow conditions
^ quite often happens when you take off on a jump turn with weight on the downhill ski (as is inevitable on steeps)
snow conditions
Fantastic photos. I am doing a race up Ben Nevis at the end of this month. Is it going to be snow all the way to the top do you think?
snow conditions
Cheers, iainm. I don't think you'll be on any snow except for the plateau as the race IIRC approaches via the south.

Topping out of No. 5 into the sunshine ...

ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy