Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2014/2015 (Folks that a Wrap 2014/15 season)

Poster: A snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/VbS-9Wa1F2o
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Toadman, nice Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@stanton, whoever chose the music for that needs shooting
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Did that last year with a guy who skied across the saddle too quickly and didn't absorb the bump (30 and 47 secs in) at the other side. He took off and went into a back somersault over a big rock on the left hand side. He clipped the rock as he flew over it, escaping with a bit of bruising and his skis landed some distance away. Could have been a lot worse!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just back after a great week. We got snow on Sunday 11th, a bit of a cheeky 10cm that blew into 20cm's on Tuesday (I think it was), and then it snowed on Saturday. Saturday was awesome. Untracked all day long off Valluga and Schindlergrat. Heard Sunday was stellar. Knee to occ thigh deep pow up high. 30cm easy with plenty more in blown in spots up high.

This Avi is rather sobering. We came into town after the Christmas Eve Avi of '09 that went big and got 1 person. Not sure if this will work, but the below pict is me looking at the Nord on Friday. Our guide, a friend of a friend who was involved in the rescue on Monday, hadn't been up in 10 days and there had been a crap load of wind in the meantime. We weren't sure the Nord face even went with all the wind scouring the snow from the face with lots of fins of rock running down it and ice showing in numerous spots. Numerous comments by everyone of it being the least filled in many of us had seen it, numerous decents down the Nord combined in the group. This wasn't a challenge for us, but is still a great ski. As a result, we were looking at doing the bridge couloir which would be the West face, but 2 in our group weren't interested so as a result the whole group bailed. Bit of a bummer on the day, but I suppose this puts it into perspective. My wife the night before, remembering '09 had said she would never ski the Nord, not that she couldn't do it, just that she didn't want to.

Its a tough deal. I live to ski the steep and deep, but want to come home to ride the next day, but at the end of the day you don't really know what is going to happen till you ski it... RIP to the group involved.

It will be interesting to learn more. Had it been bombed? We saw two bomb holes on Friday from unknown dates. Where were the group sitting? In '09 the group did a great job skiing to safe zones so only 1 person was killed during what was a pretty dang big slide.

To some of the questions: You don't ever really truly know what will happen and with the snowpack being pretty crap this year, especially up high, the comments about russian roulette are probably not too far off. Our tactic was to basically ski really mellow terrain for much of the trip. Saturday sticking near the ski routes which were open. One time I pushed it into the steeps of Schindler and I remember thinking that was probably not the best decision. It worked out then, but I kept it mellow the rest of the time.

Love the Arlberg and will always return, but it does make you think and analyze your decisions, risk tolerance, and can be unforgiving.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/10933710_502285149911695_2679398324187677264_n.jpg?oh=8eba44b37634526644a64a163b8a7068&oe=5523B9FD&__gda__=1432539851_b5d1bba8efedf3d2147b9f049be5ebce
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Saturday sticking near the ski routes which were open. One time I pushed it into the steeps of Schindler and I remember thinking that was probably not the best decision.

It's hard to know how far it is safe to go from the ski routes. You'd imagine that any slope that threatens the marked route would be secured, but technically they are not - I think the "rules" are that 10m either side of the marked poles is controlled (ski routes have 1 set of poles down the middle). I've seen small sloughs on the steeper sides of schindler, especially in spring but these are likely to have happened in the afternoon on a warm day when the route would be closed anyway.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
comish wrote:

It will be interesting to learn more. Had it been bombed? We saw two bomb holes on Friday from unknown dates.

They only control, blast or gazex the snowpack where it is likely to come down near a lift or over a controlled area, pistes (inbounds). They also blast where it is likely to come
down over the highway or residential areas.

They do not blast Valluga Nord, HinterRendl, Maroi etc
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@stanton, such a tease. Where is part2. Need to see if it Was it worth it. 4:25. Yuck.

What's the snow thoughts for the weekend?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stanton, only thing is in this case you are wrong. We saw bomb holes with the tell tale black powder marks just down from the top station of Valluga on the Nord face on Friday. I agree, that what you wrote is usually correct, but I have seen these holes off Valluga Nord before and then on Friday. It was our guide friend who first noticed them.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sah wrote:
Quote:

Saturday sticking near the ski routes which were open. One time I pushed it into the steeps of Schindler and I remember thinking that was probably not the best decision.

It's hard to know how far it is safe to go from the ski routes. You'd imagine that any slope that threatens the marked route would be secured, but technically they are not - I think the "rules" are that 10m either side of the marked poles is controlled (ski routes have 1 set of poles down the middle). I've seen small sloughs on the steeper sides of schindler, especially in spring but these are likely to have happened in the afternoon on a warm day when the route would be closed anyway.

Don't disagree with your point at all and think its important for many to understand that.

We were using our brain to route find as well. Standard things that aren't always practiced: ski 1 at a time, have gear, know how to use it, looking at the terrain for roll overs, terrain traps, wind deposits, slabs, etc. Felt quite good about everything we skied.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@comish, I will talk to the Lawinecommisie..

Victims were from Hamburg.

http://www.ndr.de/nachrichten/hamburg/Hamburger-kommen-bei-Lawinenunglueck-ums-Leben,lawine106.html
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Will be interesting to learn more. There were 2 holes. One appeared older (more filled in, very little black left) than the other, but both were within a throwing distance from the deck of the top station. This was before the snowfall on Saturday so no idea if they did anything after that. That is always the issue as there are no guarantees and one never knows when they have bombed it. I also don't think they do it too often from what I have seen in the past.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
comish wrote:
sah wrote:
Quote:

Don't disagree with your point at all and think its important for many to understand that.

We were using our brain to route find as well. Standard things that aren't always practiced: ski 1 at a time, have gear, know how to use it, looking at the terrain for roll overs, terrain traps, wind deposits, slabs, etc. Felt quite good about everything we skied.

Maybe my post came across differently to how I intended... I wasn't criticising at all. I think ski routes are a safe option (when they are open of course), and I *suspect* even straying from the centre line is OK, but you are right to assume responsibility for your own safety if you do so.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We arrive 31st, this will definitely be just fine!

Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Markymark29, good luck (for all of us!). 3 weeks and counting.
snow report
Starting Sunday it will Dump for most of next week Very Happy
snow report
@stanton, Oh yessss, never fails!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Enjoy the fresh snow for next week. It's badly needed.

Skied lots of man made snow today. But there's still some natural snow left.

snow conditions
@Toadman, how was it overall? Give us the goods!
latest report
Redwine wrote:
@Toadman, how was it overall? Give us the goods!

Lots of snowmaking going on. They have been farming snow off the pistes in Warth & St Anton too. It's been cold, so the snow is well preserved. It's lightly snowing in Lech this morning. Started about 7:30AM. It won't amount to much, unless it starts to pick up. As they say, every little bit helps. They could really do with a nice 40-50CM pasting, which looks promising for next week. Today is my last day on the slopes. So off to shred some corduroy!
latest report
It looks pretty good for the Arlberg next week:

snow report
Having only been to the Arlberg once before when the World Champs were there and thinking of going to Lech this Easter. What are conditions like generally that time of year? Is this year with its rather scratchy snowfall likely to have any bearing on that? I know it's 2 months away and anything can happen between now and then but just trying to get a feeling for the probabilities before I make a decision
snow conditions
@dsoutar, I've been for the past 4 years at Easter, always been able to ski top to bottom, even in lasts years poor snow.
ski holidays
@dsoutar, if I were you I wouldn't go. But that's primarily so there will be one less person in the lift queue!

Should be fine at Easter (usual caveats etc).
ski holidays
Quote:
Is this year with its rather scratchy snowfall likely to have any bearing on that?

To be fair that is a fair question in that it seemed to me last year the late season wasn't great partly because the early season wasn't. I think a good early season where a good base layer(s) is worked in can really help with longetivity. But that is just conjecture on my part Toofy Grin

Questions for @dsoutar, do you have options? Can you go earlier? What would you do if it was a bit scratcy - would you go to somewhere else/not go?
snow conditions
there is more snow now compared to last season and Easter was still surprisingly good last year...
snow report
@Layne,

Not go??!!

Wash your mouth out snowHead

The only other option would be somewhere else quite high with a good snow record. Been Zermatt, Monterosa and VdI amongst others at Easter previously and fancied trying out Lech to treat Mrs this year
snow report
There's actually a fair amount of snow at the moment. There's a LOT on the way. I don't expect any problems at Easter.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@dsoutar, the arlberg has one of the best snow records in Europe!!
snow conditions
Omg I'm salivating at next weeks forecast. If it just do that every week for the next three till I get there it would be much appreciated.
ski holidays
@dsoutar, go treat that girl wink
snow conditions

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 24-01-15 12:07; edited 1 time in total
snow report
For you folks who have not been to Arlberg for a couple of season or never been.

Here is a bit of History regarding the Link Up of Lech Zürs - Warth-Schröcken

http://youtube.com/v/Qg-nwPluVEQ
snow report
Visibility was not so hot today. Clouds hung out around mid mtn all day. Still snowing ever so slightly. Maybe will amount to a CM when all is said and done. Pistes are nice and hard. Off piste has been worked over but good. Nice 2CM breakable crust on North and West facing slopes. Mal sehen how things work out with all this snow coming next week. Could make things very sketchy.
snow conditions
96 Hr New Snow Prognosis

snow conditions
Are they downgrading the storm for next week a bit?
snow conditions
Redwine wrote:
Are they downgrading the storm for next week a bit?

Yes, but still pretty significant amounts are expected.
snow report
Quote:

Could make things very sketchy.

This. Rapid change in conditions will lead to sketchy conditions, what's the snowpack like at the moment? Is it stable enough to hold a dump?
snow report
shredder wrote:
Quote:

Could make things very sketchy.

This. Rapid change in conditions will lead to sketchy conditions, what's the snowpack like at the moment? Is it stable enough to hold a dump?

Check the official site for details, but the current pack is very unstable at altitude with buried crusts alternating with loose facets. I would guess the crusts mean it will support any fresh snow but will be like a hair trigger with the weight of a single skier on top. Like I say, read the official info here: https://lawine.tirol.gv.at/home/uebersicht/. The blog gives a lot more details, worth reading even if you need to use auto translate Happy: http://lawinenwarndienst.blogspot.co.at/. It sounds like wind is also a major issue right now Sad

Wind slab + buried facets... I'll be mostly skiing controlled slopes later this week.
snow conditions
@shredder, what @sah said. With a bit of luck we'll get enough snow to trigger the weak layers and kick start a big avi cycle to clear them out.

Gonna be all about the trees though, personally.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy