Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2014/2015 (Folks that a Wrap 2014/15 season)

Poster: A snowHead
kitenski wrote:
http://www.stantonamarlberg.com/de/service/wetter-und-schneebericht

dodgy auto translate:

The following days see significantly more movement in the weather events. A rapid succession of Atlantic front systems introduce alternatively warmer and then colder air masses. The probability of some noteworthy precipitation improves significantly. On Thursday the snowfall line rises initially up to 2000m but at the weekend the winter drops down into the valleys again. Although the new week starts milder it is followed in quick sucession with colder air. In any case the weather conditions for the holidays remain very exciting.

FIFY
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@TheManOnTheBus, hey good result fella, good luck with the switch. Looking quite wet today on the webcams with poor visibility hope the cows are ok Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Good to hear some spirits have lifted, can only hope that the maybe the forecasters get it all wrong on Thursday and the freezing line isn't that high. Anyone up on the mountain today? Looks like some wet snow falling.
The Norwegian forecaster(computers) at yr.no are a bit more optimistic (http://www.yr.no/sted/Østerrike/Tirol/St_Anton_Railway_Station/langtidsvarsel.html).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
DB wrote:
stanton wrote:
Interesting situation in the early hours 02.00am.
The Cows in the sheds are getting restless this always indicates
a change & snow on the way:-)

Which begs the question - What were you doing at 2:00am in the cow shed?

+1 Very Happy ...but thank you nonetheless stanton
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
allthegearnoidea wrote:
@stanton,
Appreciate all your updates so far stanton. Do you have any news (from cows/farmers or even the lift company!) about Warth's opening date???

It is snowing in Warth (higher up) right now. They have 2cm in the valley & 15cm higher up

It is not possible to ski yet.

Cannot see Warth opening anytime soon.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
St Anton

Rain Sleet you name it . To warm in the Valley. Time for a Sauna
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sah wrote:
Has anyone bought the Rendlhof?

Answer.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Langley-Hotel-Rendlhof/304316999761536

http://www.langley.eu/dk/skirejser/ostrig/st-anton/Langley-Hotel-Rendlhof/
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm in for Saturday and Sunday, what the chance of more lifts opening? Schindlergratbahn, kaplbahn? Puzzled Puzzled
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stanton wrote:
sah wrote:
Has anyone bought the Rendlhof?

Answer.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Langley-Hotel-Rendlhof/304316999761536

http://www.langley.eu/dk/skirejser/ostrig/st-anton/Langley-Hotel-Rendlhof/

Looks like they haven't done anything with it (yet), they even kept the "interesting" decor in the dining room:-)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@stanton, rain sleet yuk doesn't sound good, any news on further lifts opening? thanks
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
From the sound and look of it, nothing much more will open until a decent dump arrives and/or they get a string of days conducive to snow making, Sorry!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ulmerhutte, thanks, looks like Im going to have to put a plan b into action. I have 3 full days to make the most of what i can so Solden & Ischgl look my best bets for day trips in the car from St Anton. I presume it will be simple enough to drive and find parking close to the main ski lift and just buy a pass and get on with it?? Or am I dreaming it will be this simple?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@benburton83, It's easy enough to find parking in Ischgl. I don't know about Sölden.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@clarky999, ok cheers
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@stanton, do you know if you can rent a car in St Anton?
latest report
@benburton83, parking is very easy to find in Sölden - there multi-storey car parks at the base stations of both the Giggijoch and the Gaislachkogl cable car base stations, as well as numerous car parks out in the open air. All the car parks are free during the day by the way as many resorts depend on people arriving by car as opposed to organised groups bought in by Tour operators.
snow report
@Samerberg Sue, thanks for the info, is there a preference as to which lift is a better starting point, seems like more terrain accessable from the Giggijoch?
ski holidays
@benburton83,

Solden,Obergugl,Ischgl will be in ovrrliad mode × 100.
ski holidays
I think the lift company will issue a new status on Thursday
Friday morning latest
latest report
@stanton, thanks for the info and fair enough but what choice to I have? 3 days to make the most of some unfortunate circumstances. It may be the only 3 days I have this season so I think I will prefer some very busy pistes with plenty of options than just repeat the same 5 runs over and over again in St Anton or maybe Im wrong?? dunno pretty gutted tbh
snow report
@benburton83, you could also look into the Montafon region. Roughly 40 minute drive from St Anton, not huge amounts of terrain open (getting close to 30% of the area though), with several different resorts to keep variety up. Also very very quiet right now, and about 15cms of snow last night high up.
snow report
Very serious question. I would Lose a lot of money, probably up to $2,000, but when do I call it a wash season in st anton and cancel mid feb holiday? I could apply most of airfare (less penalty) to another flight. Used miles, so think they could be re used (less penalty ). Lose hotel, and guide deposit. Stay in states someplace instead, with an overall cheaper cost profile, so some theoretical savings. Before bashing, I'm not doing it yet, but no snow, no base really expected till 2015, then it has to nuke by mid January to have decent off piste, no??., so if there is no major, like a meters of snow by mid-january would anyone consider the season a wipe out? I don't want to hike, I don't want to stay on crappy crowded limited pistes, I don't want to drive someplace else to ski with everyone else and fight with crowds x100, and I don't want to travel in a plane and train for over 20 hrs for what st anton has now.

So how long should I be patient? Is mid-january reasonable? Or late January? Or xmas? Or are we already at that point? Puzzled
snow conditions
@Redwine, Things can change quickly - take a view about a week before you're due to leave
snow report
@Redwine, you have PLENTY of time. All it needs is one big 50cm+ dump. I skied the Schindler couloirs after one such dump in October - and that was with ZERO snow on the ground prior. All it needs is the same again.
ski holidays
@red27, really? How much is needed for the off piste to open and be approachable?, meters of snow, no? I have been watching everyday, and all I see is cm, or even mm of snow? One storm can't fix that, can it? Maybe if it was Tahoe like, where sometimes they get 2-3 meter storms, it could, but one meter seems to be the outlier. Don't think I can be that patient, ie current conditions and weather patterns for another 6 weeks and do nothing. This is my ski week for the year so it's important. If it would just start dumping in early jan, all would be well.
snow report
Thx clarky999 and red27. Appreciate talking me off the ledge.
snow report
@clarky999, thanks for info, i will check it out Very Happy
snow conditions
@Redwine, Typical depths for St Anton are not more than a couple of metres at mid mountain. So, it just needs a couple of storms to fully open. It's optimistic to say it can come good overnight (but it can), but over the course of a week it can and will go from zero to epic.

No one can tell you what the weather will be like in mid February until a few days before perhaps. Booking a long haul trip is always going to be a risk, but the odds of good snow in mid Feb are the same now as when when you booked your tickets (whenever that was). Even if St Anton had superb snow right now there could be a fohn blowing over Xmas (not at all unusual), there could be big slides and poor conditions, a poor base and and icy pistes by Jan then it all gets good again a week later. I have had a day of skiing horrible hard pack that was painful and really no fun, followed a day later by over the knee powder. That particular storm appeared on the forecast about 24-36 hours before it hit, as it wasn't a big front, just a fairly localized system that developed over a few days.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes snow conditions can change very quickly. One year a lot of rain was forecast in Jan and I nearly cancelled my annual trip to St Anton. The weather forecast changed from rain to snow and it was epic. snowHead

At the end of 2011 I was forced to take almost a months holidays or lose them. The St Anton forecast was showing very little snow but that changed very quickly and I had my best ever Dec skiing. snowHead
ski holidays
@clarky999, do you know if it's possible to get there without a car?
snow report
moseyp wrote:

To Montafon from St Anton-am-Arlberg? Pretty easy, train down to Bludenz, then change for Montafon. Have a look at http://www.oebb.at/en/index.jsp# for times.
ski holidays
thanks @sah
ski holidays
moseyp wrote:

It is, but it'll take longer. As Sah said, train from St Anton to Bludenz (on the main line so fairly regular), then a smaller train up to Schruns - the train station is about a 2 minute walk from the Hochjoch ski lift. Other resorts further up the valley may be harder to get to without a car - I don't know how the busses run from Schruns to say Gargellen or St Gallenkirch yet.
ski holidays
So, has yesterday's snow helped things at all? I'm sure to be skiing in Lech Friday - Sunday.
snow report
@sugarmoma666, above circa 1200m (in Montafon anyway, but presumably similar in Lech) then yes - but not a game changer.
snow report
Folks we are skiing down to the valley. Officualy its closed
but hell
Very Happy

Dont ask for a rescue though Madeye-Smiley

Fang should be ready by the weekend.

KK closed again today prob not opening until weekend.
ski holidays
@sah, @clarky999, thanks for the train advice. I've had a look on the ÖBB website. Trains are roughly every hour and the journey is more or less an hour (a bit more getting there, a bit less back).

We arrive on Saturday - I'm thinking we'll hang around St Anton on the Sunday to see the lie of the land then maybe head out to Montafon on Monday - though I'm not sure it'll be much better from the reports I've seen. The fare is 11.40 Euros each way.
ski holidays
Went to Ischgl today and it was much better than St Anton. Wish we hadn't bought a week pass and just catched the bus to Ischgl every day. Lota of canons on full time keeping the runs nice.

St Anton don't seem interested in trying to open any more runs this week. Canons not been on much at all.
latest report
@Langers, how easy is the bus to Ischgl?
snow report
Not sure actually, as Crystal have organised it today and tomorrow for us.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy