Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2014/2015 (Folks that a Wrap 2014/15 season)

Poster: A snowHead
Miracle Survival in Yesterday's Avalanche in Lech

A German was buried in 2 metres of Snow for 2 hours before being rescued !!

Skiing Off Piste on the Mohenenmähder "alone" with pips turned OFF Shocked

http://vorarlberg.orf.at/news/stories/2691820/
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stanton wrote:

http://youtube.com/v/CKVmBhvoSiM

Don't want to be a kill joy or anything but that snow doesn't look too stable as it's breaking away / sluffing without much effort and then they ski the same pitch together at the same time. Way to go for a multiple burial. WTF Puzzled
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Someone over on the German Forum has been talking to a Senior Manager in Lech who has revealed some
future developments.

not time to translate right now but briefly....

Rüfikopfbergstation (Top Station):
Possibly already this summer - but probably summer 2016

New Bergbahn Oberlech:
Renewed and will be built also in 2016

Snowmaking & Reservoirs Holding Areas with 3 time the present capacity situated between Rotschrofen and Steinmäder

There is other stuff including renewed Lifts & new Pistes back to Lech & Down to Zug (Dependent on Land owners)

Most important

Plans for a World Cup Course & World Cup Stadium.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stanton wrote:
Miracle Survival in Yesterday's Avalanche in Lech

A German was buried in 2 metres of Snow for 2 hours before being rescued !!

Skiing Off Piste on the Mohenenmähder "alone" with pips turned OFF Shocked

http://vorarlberg.orf.at/news/stories/2691820/

Gawd. How many ppl get caught in avi in any given year. Yes. Miricle, against all odds it seems.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Semi overcast today,sun hss been peaking through but as always
Saturday is the best day of the week to be on the slopes Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi question about ski rentals in st anton. Torben recommended getting off piste skis when we go out with a guide. I assume fat skis is what makes the most sense? I would need to get them for both ne and my 11 year old daughter. I usually ski dynastar cham 97s that work real well on piste and up to the top of the boot powder for me. I haven't skied deeper with them unfortunately. My daughter has just average annual rental skis. Here's my questions (1) should I just rent her skis for the week, and swap them out based on conditions (2) thinking my dynastars will be pretty good most of the time, and paybr just rent powder skis when I go off piste? (3) is it cheaper to rent online before I arrive? Or just deal with it when I get there? Any ski shop recommendation? We are staying in nassserein area.

Oh yeah, coming in 2 weeks when everyone is europe will also be there.

Thanks.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Redwine wrote:
Hi question about ski rentals in st anton. Torben recommended getting off piste skis when we go out with a guide. I assume fat skis is what makes the most sense? I would need to get them for both ne and my 11 year old daughter. I usually ski dynastar cham 97s that work real well on piste and up to the top of the boot powder for me. I haven't skied deeper with them unfortunately. My daughter has just average annual rental skis. Here's my questions (1) should I just rent her skis for the week, and swap them out based on conditions (2) thinking my dynastars will be pretty good most of the time, and paybr just rent powder skis when I go off piste? (3) is it cheaper to rent online before I arrive? Or just deal with it when I get there? Any ski shop recommendation? We are staying in nassserein area.

Oh yeah, coming in 2 weeks when everyone is europe will also be there.

Thanks.

Can't suggest a ski rental in St Anton, but I did rent a pair of Blizzard Bonafides my first day in Lech, for the 30CM of pow that came. Once British Aiwarys got me my skis, I was very happy on my Rossi S3's for the week. I've skied the Cham 97's, and think they would be good, for all but the really deep days. All depends on personal preference, skill level, etc when skiing pow. If you are out there and there's a meter of fresh, and good conditions, and it's blower, then knock yourself out with some nice fat powder boards. Seems a lot of shops were renting Rossi Soul skis. Saw lots of people in St Anton on them. The shop I rented from also had Blizzard Bodacious skis.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I used the soul 7s in vail. Good in pow, hated them oou of pow. I think I'm in the minority there, but they didn't do well for me on groomers and bumps. Not like I want groomers and bumps, but I think you have to have something that's flexible enough depending on how the day goes, except when it snows a meter overnight.

More interested on any ideas for my kid. Anyone with experience on that front? Are just ok skis all you need for a light kids except on powder days? Performance skis seem like it's overkill, especially since I don't think she can flex a stiff ski.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Going to be in St Anton 13-20th Feb, and have arranged for a day touring trip with a guide from St Anton over the back of Rendl to Ischgl. We may have 1 or 2 spare places in the group. Day depends on weather and conditions, sometime between Sunday and Friday that week, but if you're interested, let me know.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Redwine,
People have different skiing styles, weights etc. One man's holy grail of a ski is another man's noodle. The rental shops in St Anton will generally let you try different skis - just tell 'em you are thnking of buying a pair (they normally knock a bit of rental off if you do). I've tried 3 different pairs of rental skis in one day while skiing St Anton.
Only you can really decide which skis you like
My advice would be to visit the rental shops when you get there. See who has the biggest selection of skis on your wish list. Make a note of the other skis they have and search for reviews on the net. Try a few different pairs of skis until you are set on one pair then use these to ski with the guide. Let us know how you got on and which skis you decided for in the end. An indication of your weight, ski level / style would also be useful for others. The rental shops may also have freeride skis for light women that might suit your daughter although she might be more comfortable on her own skis. Maybe renting a pair for her one day to see which she prefers is the best.

PS Do you usually ski the "high mountain" version or the stiffer version of the cham 97?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Folks.

This week it is going to be polar wintry cold . We can look forward to temperatures of -10C (min) down to -15C in the day time !!

We can also expect top up of snow (dandruff) most days but nothing Major is expected .

February is always busy leading up to Fasching

Reminder of the Dates

Weiberfastnacht Donnerstag, 12.Februar 2015
Rosenmontag Montag, 16.Februar 2015
Fastnacht Dienstag, 17.Februar 2015
Aschermittwoch Mittwoch, 18.Februar 2015

The Germans Schools begin there staggered Half Terms this week.

This week kids from North Germany

Berlin
Bremen
Hamburg

Being on the 1st lift is essential this month. Get your turns in early, take an early lunch , then ski through the lunch period while it quiet wink

Avoid Gampenbahn at 10.00 as this is when the Ski Schools set off
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@stanton, thanks. Great advice. Can you talk to my family and get them to listen??? Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Redwine, Top Tip is to always ski Rendl first from 1st lift non stop till about 10.15. Your have the whole hill to yourself. Then swap to Gampen or Galzig.

When you descend via Rendltalfarht your see hundreds of people lining up for the Rendlbahn. Should leave a smile on your face knowing you have been skiing a private hill Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Conditions here are just awesome right now, pow heaven! Super cold and snow is knee deep and so fluffy..... Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DB wrote:
stanton wrote:

http://youtube.com/v/CKVmBhvoSiM

Don't want to be a kill joy or anything but that snow doesn't look too stable as it's breaking away / sluffing without much effort and then they ski the same pitch together at the same time. Way to go for a multiple burial. WTF Puzzled

looks deeply irresponsible to me given current situation and looks like they don't really realise it
ski holidays
@8611, is that a go pro sponsored video? Even to a dummy like me it looks ridiculously unstable.

@Markymark29, like you always said, just one storm. And you got many. Keep it coming, only 2 more weeks for me.

@stanton, I need to buy your drinks for all this info.
latest report
Been snowing all night and it's total white out, all the big kit out clearing the roads, everything is moving though....buses and 4WD's, still snowing and heavy! Blasting going on, another powder day in the trees, first run up Rendl down to Maas. Everyone was being sensible yesterday, highlight was afternoon on Kapall when the sun came out, empty slopes with 15cm powder on them, everywhere was like off piste.... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@Redwine,

Re. Skis - you should take your own for sure, I don't see those skis holding you back. If you get a really deep day you could go fatter, shops hire all sorts of fat gear (I've seen 108mm K2 sidestashes with touring bindings in Sport Alber for example). It doesn't matter where you rent from as prices are the same across town (some may call it a kartel). Skiing > 100mm underfoot for a week on hard pack is hard work, so just watch the conditions. There are 2 big rental shops at the base of the gondola in Nasserein, ask at your accommodation which they recommend and you might be able to leave your skis and boots in their lockers for free, which is pretty handy.

@stanton, thanks for the dates, useful info. Do any regions have holidays in the 2nd week of March?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 2-02-15 13:54; edited 1 time in total
snow report
German School Holidays all listed here

http://www.schulferien.org/Schulferien_nach_Jahren/2015/schulferien_2015.html
snow report
Austrian School Holidays all listed here
http://www.schulferien.org/Ferien_Oesterreich/ferien_oesterreich.html
ski holidays
Saturdays Avalanche on Kapall

A 34yr old British skied into "Closed" area. He lost his footing & and triggered a slide and he fell 6 metres down what is known locally as the "Death Wall" .

Below him was another 60yr old Brit who was caught in the slide but survived with no injurys.

The 34yr old was flown to Zams Hospital with serious Injurys.

http://tirol.orf.at/news/stories/2692460/
ski holidays
Quote:

triggered a slide and he fell 6 metres down what is known locally as the "Death Wall" .

Where abouts is that, is it below the avalanche barriers under the chairlift?
snow conditions
sah wrote:
Quote:

triggered a slide and he fell 6 metres down what is known locally as the "Death Wall" .

Where abouts is that, is it below the avalanche barriers under the chairlift?

No. Its a rocky steep face (left side) near the top of Kapallbahn (There are Skull & Crossbone Markers) Between 33 (Mattun) & 34 (Kapall) Ski Itinery Routes.

A few seasons ago a couple of Dutchmen were compacted like in a cement mixer & lost there lives in there. Absolute no way out if caught .

Really cannot understand why people take such risks.

If the guy recovers he is likely to end up in court as this is a closed area by law !!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 2-02-15 16:34; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@stanton, Darwin award recipient.
snow report
Always worth reposting this every season

Törli warning (Off Piste down to Nasserein)

http://youtube.com/v/icK6x8yveMw
ski holidays
On a snow related note, the webcams early evening look to show lots of snow falling in the Lech/Zuers region. Looking very good for coverage for month of February.
latest report
we leave in 2 weeks Wink
snow report
Looks like one of those squeaky snow days on the webcam. Just over 3 weeks Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Perfect Winters Day For winter Sports Very Happy
snow report
ski holidays
Was in St Anton what must be 20 years ago at least. The conditions were awful. I am back to give it a second chance 15th-29th March. Hope those with local knowledge won't mind me asking questions as the time approaches. Like my off piste. Need a mojo to protect the 56yo knees but still give it go.
Is there much off piste near runs or do I need a guide a lot?
I can remember one day on The Kandahar that was was one of the few runs open and it was sheet ice. So many people on it if you stopped you just got wiped. At one stage there were 4 blood wagons at the bottom waiting for pisteurs to come and take them away. Carnage. That was how bad it was.
ski holidays
Quote:

Is there much off piste near runs or do I need a guide a lot?

Yes, and maybe yes Happy

There is plenty of safe off piste that is easy to get to, but don't assume a run is safe because it's close to the piste (see stanton's post above about a serious accident on Kappal, that was not far from a marked run). For safest un-pisted runs ski the marked but ungroomed ski routes. If you have the means I'd say go with a guided group for a day or 2, that'll give you a good orientation and you'll get good advice. There are several outfits that run groups so you don't need to hire a guide on your own (e.g. alloffpiste.com, pistetopowder.com).

When Steissbachtal is closed Kandahar is indeed carnage - options are either ski the off piste to the skiers left of Kandahar or the ski route down from Osthang under the Galzigbahn. Failing that take the Galzigbahn down.
latest report
The Osthang ski route was nice over new year when I was there, the snow was soft and grippy. It can sometimes be very mogulled, icy and not so nice.
snow report
Deep winter weather perfect at the moment, -13c yesterday and clear skies, last 2 days the off piste snow has been fantastic after recent dumps but it's getting tracked out now. People seem to be being sensible and the group I've been skiing with are taking great care to avoid big routes and generally staying within sight of the pistes, there's loads to go at in the trees and traversing about etc. Schindlergratbahn opened yesterday and that opened up plenty of pow runs after traverses, the one round to the left and down towards Ulmerhutte piste was especially good. Maienplatt under Galzig (not the gully!) is especially good, deep powder on there. Some great skiing up on Rendl and round in Zurs under Madlochbahn and Hexenbodenbahn. Avoiding big runs into Hinterrendl etc, and big slab north faces, a lot of wind transported snow about.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 5-02-15 7:33; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Kelskii, that route is in perfect condition right now, big soft moguls.
snow conditions
Save some for me, 9 days till my virgin run in st anton. Packing packing packing. New gloves and goggles to try. Woo hoo Headlamp for night sledding, check! Sad thing is boston got about 1.5 meters in last week, if I could just bring some along.
snow report
@Redwine, ,met some of your fellow Bostonians in bar last evening après time who'd skied their first day in St Anton having been in Cortina for 2 days, they couldn't believe how good it was and loved the town, they were looking for some lively après so I directed them in the direction of Picadilly bar......hope they survived.......it's a jungle out there! wink
snow report
@Markymark29, will you be there in 2 weekends? Share a drinks or 2 or 3...
latest report
@Markymark29, are you skiing with Piste2Powder?
ski holidays
@Redwine, We arrive back on 21 February, if you still about, could catch a few turns and a beer, but we're in Warth for that week then back to St Anton on 28th. Maybe meet you in Zurs/ Lech?

@kitenski, not needed Guide so not bothered with P2P, there's so much to go at it's all so readily accessible right now and quiet too, few fast kids about today so half term kicking in. Been skiing with Matt Dulcmara and also 4 Irish guys we met, happy days! Not been down to Stuben yet, so cold -18C today didn't fancy it, maybe tomorrow. Will likely get a guide next time if snow a bit sparse and have to go looking for pow but it's knee deep on all the traverses right now Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy