Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sugar snow - crud, sluff and nonsense

Poster: A snowHead
...I forget how good it is; skiing at this time of year. Just back from Crans Montana, dodging rocks. When everyone else seems to be complaining endlessly about the soup on the piste, I just love it. No-one about, my kids jumping the heaps of wet filth, the pisteurs offering chocolate and long stories, the cafe staff and owners relaxed and gregarious rather than frazzled and distant. Light mornings with birdsong everywhere - none of the Christmas gloom. I saw Venus come up like a laser beam at 6am, and then coffee with the family an hour later. Waxing the skis on the terrace at 8am rather than huddled inside. No need to dig out the garage, and the engine sounding smooth as it starts rather than struggling at minus 5. Instead of a jostling mass of people, there's a huge box of free croissants from Taillens bakery at Barzettes lift - what could be better? Short days' skiing because of crap snow after 11am....no way...we ski from early morning to last lift....the heavy stuff in the late afternoon a good muscle-building challenge. And as the shadows from the cliffs stretch onto the Nationale piste, the icing-suger peaks of soft mess start to freeze into nasty aggressive crud - more interesting challenge suddenly appearing. The mood everywhere is just so relaxed. Sami at Chetzeron doing the finances on a laptop whilst eating wonderful North African food and yet still having time for a long chat. Chantelle at La Cure telling me a new, extraordinary story about a narrow escape a few years ago at 3000m...wine and stories flowing everywhere. My kids wander in and out of offices and pisteurs' stations, always with hair being ruffled and smiles following them...instructors stopping to ask where you've been and where you're going. Skis up onto the jeep's roofrack for the last time - quick check on the bases - not as bad as they might be, after all those stones...a rough wax coat on all the used skis and then in the garage they go...either 'til next season or until a moment of weakness and a Summer excursion to Saas Fee or Zermatt.

Easter skiing...I love it.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 15-04-14 18:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That's fine but still a tad gay.. The real sugar snow fans aren't even thinking of going till Wednesday week.. It's not proper sugar snow till your doing it in the rain wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I like it too (and we've had rain here, although I tend to avoid the wet days), so much fun and enjoyment to be had with the pistes almost to yourself. On the snowboard mind, the skis are packed ready for loading in the car and heading back to the UK.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sitter, Oh yes. It's board territory. I spend all season with my ski mates on early morning rock hrd courdrouy in jan and feb then have to go last on the powder to help them get up and find their bits n bobs like skis n poles... This time of year is my face , watching the skiers skuff around
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yep, sugar snow can be sweet. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Vive le mono! Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Might be about to commit blasphemy but... I like slush as much as powder. THERE. I said it.

(disclaimer: only outside on the mountain, indoors it's horrible)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
that's a very nice post - heading to Les Contamines tonight Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
valais2, Just back from the Alpes Maritime, very true what you say. Also prices are very good this time of year, 7 day lift pass for Auron cost me €73!

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 15-04-14 13:15; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
CANV CANVINGTON wrote:
That's fine but still a tad gay.. The real sugar snow fans aren't even thinking of going till Wednesday week.. It's not proper sugar snow till your doing it in the rain wink

Seriously, you're using the word "gay" as an insult?

This is the moment when I've found out how impossible it is to report a post to a mod - how do you do it if there isn't a mod online?

A shame as the original post is lovely.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I used to hate slush, I always just seemed to stop dead and sink in it. But I clearly have skis that are better equipped to deal with it now, and this season I found it quite fun...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
queen bodecia, same here, now I've realised the trick is to power through (/over?) it I rather enjoy it too Smile
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another fan of slush (and of course real sugar snow, ie spring snow, is a joy). There are limits off piste though, when you have to lean back or come to a halt. I remember a steep slope at Argentierre where I pointed straight down and couldn't get up any speed. The thing about slush is you don't skid so it feels really controlled.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Violette wrote:
CANV CANVINGTON wrote:

This is the moment when I've found out how impossible it is to report a post to a mod - how do you do it if there isn't a mod online?

Don't be a douche, gay has long been used as equivalent to lame; nothing to do with homosexuality.

And as gay never originally meant homosexual, I don't see how anyone can complain about further evolution of its meaning and usage.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Also, corn slush and slushy bumps are awesome. Only better type of snow is powder.
latest report
20C in Serre Che some days last week, loved it!
snow report
Yep, I'm a fan of spring snow and slush. New school skis make it easy and fun.
snow report
clarky999 wrote:
Also, corn slush and slushy bumps are awesome. Only better type of snow is powder.

Corn slush? Puzzled
snow conditions
Fenfilly, sorry, should have been a comma between them.
latest report
Oh, OK, so.......... Corn? Puzzled
snow report
Fenfilly, Snow that's been repeatedly melted then re-frozen, caught at just the right time - as it starts to soften again but before it turns to slush. Feels like skiing on velvet; really lovely, and perfect for skiing steeper lines that may be unstable with powder or dangerous/unpleasant when icy.
snow report
I find it very hard work, but essentially that sort of snow doesn't bother me beyond that - I think I've skied so much of it now, and the heavy skis that I normally use just crash through it. I wish I was Easter skiing and enjoying it this year.
snow report
clarky999 wrote:
Fenfilly, Snow that's been repeatedly melted then re-frozen, caught at just the right time - as it starts to soften again but before it turns to slush. Feels like skiing on velvet; really lovely, and perfect for skiing steeper lines that may be unstable with powder or dangerous/unpleasant when icy.

Thank you! wink

I don't mind skiing slush. It's easier to ski than boilerplate and death cookies. Also gives your legs that little extra workout...... Shocked wink
snow conditions
Violette wrote:
CANV CANVINGTON wrote:

Oh purleazzee. Are you stuck in 2007. Using gay as an insult is now so hip,it's almost insulting to use it
Back to the slush.. I love the stuff.. Get out early on deserted pistes and you have 2 hours of easy carving , no need to keep to edges just hack down the deserted middle.. Stop for brunch. Get up high for some more.. Then catch some beers and rays till about 2 pm. Then hit the slush all the way back to base..
As a boarder I hate ice . And chopped up hard packed pistes . But,of course love powder n slop and courdrouy..
Can't wait till next week , get to the tent bar at the top and see about ten people on the entire resort
Of course the downside being its misty and raining and you can't see eff all
snow conditions
clarky999 wrote:
Don't be a douche, gay has long been used as equivalent to lame...

I'm appalled at your use of the word "lame" in a negative sense, it's demeaning to injured horses wink
snow report
Yeh, stop being such Ƒucking Ʈwats as everyone knows no-one's allowed to be Ƈunting offend by any language if one uses a smiley; thus Wink
snow conditions
Ok you lot - this thread is supposed to be about Spring skiing not about the evolution of language.....
snow conditions
You are all, in colourful Anglo Saxon style, fucking nuts. Bloody gay slush fest love in Laughing wink

And yes, I will be, in all likelihood, joining in next week Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Don't be a douche

+1

On topic, I love spring snowboarding and the slush - can get some lovely conditions at the right time.
ski holidays
Quote:

Don't be a douche

+1

On topic, I love spring snowboarding and the slush - can get some lovely conditions at the right time.
ski holidays
When the slopes are quiet it is fabulous. When the slopes are rammed it is a nightmare.
ski holidays
jonm wrote:
queen bodecia, same here, now I've realised the trick is to power through (/over?) it I rather enjoy it too Smile

^^ This. Was in Cervinia and Zermatt last week and loved it Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Alastair Pink wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
Don't be a douche, gay has long been used as equivalent to lame...

I'm appalled at your use of the word "lame" in a negative sense, it's demeaning to injured horses wink

Laughing
latest report
I love spring conditions, but only when associated with sun and at a push low level rain... but things have been ruined... it seems that January has decided that it didn't have such a good shot at being a decent month this year and has swiftly returned for a few days... so i guess it is back to pow and perfect pistes NehNeh

The biggest down side is that the lifts will close pretty soon and then i'll have to walk up the bloody springy stuff to ski down... the question is, do i like it THAT much?
snow conditions
flangesax, I reckon you do Toofy Grin
snow report
flangesax, I'll swap you with designing a dull suite of point of sale... Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy