Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

That was the winter holiday: what do you plan for summer?

Poster: A snowHead
We had some great family time skiing this year, but I am dreading the looong summer holiday sat on a beach, watching my life trickle by.

Any inspirations what a family of 5 (2 gilrs at 15/16 and a boy of 13, plus Dad 46) can do while Mummy is sunning herself?

Needless to tay the girls want a mix of something interesting and some sun, and the lads just want to do SOMETHING! In a place where the kids might meet some other English kids to play with.

Your experiences welcome.

Strax
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dinghy sailing holiday - next Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
have you thought about going to a ski resort? somewhere with a glacier so you can ski in the morning and hike/bike/swim/sunbathe in the afternoon?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What is a summer holiday? You still have vacation days left?

More seriously as above lots of ski resorts have lots of stuff going on and usually have a big open air pool with loungers.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Alps? Loads of activities, and sunshine record much better than the UK.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
But if it has to be a beach on the Med there are plenty of places where you can get activities such as windsurfing, sailing, etc. And lots of young sailing instructors for the girls to flirt with. wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The wife and I have a rule: We don't buy each other presents for our wedding anniversary (yesterday!), my birthday in June or hers in October - we always go somewhere where at least one of us hasn't been before, so we get a minimum of three holidays and get to try new places.

Was Austria last week to introduce the missus to The Alps and it looks like we've settled on the idea of a sailing flotilla yacht type thing in the Greek Islands for June. For her birthday (the big 40) in October we're either going to do The Munich Oktoberfest then Prague and Vienna or the US East Coast Autumn trail.

Frankly, I'm already focusing on next year's skiing trip!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have two skiing holidays so a summer holiday is limited to a short break due to lack of funds and annual leave. This summer it's looking like a long weekend trip to the Sachsenring MotoGP in Germany. Last summer it was also Germany, a city break in Berlin, the previous summer a city break in New York.

I personally couldn't think of anything more dull than sitting cooking on a beach, think of the skin cancer potential not to mention the ghastly sight of unclothed wibbley bodies...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Strax, like cad99uk, dinghy sailing, a beachclub from neilson would tick your boxes, great with kids. learning is fun
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
or portillo
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Oh, and living in Dubai, last thing we want is a 'hot' holiday.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sailing. I ski when it's too cold for sailing.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Try Lake Garda - the northern end. Beach for sunbathing, but plenty of water sports, mountain biking, canyoning for those looking for more adventure.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Strax, I think you need to get some water/beach activities in your life. Wind surfing, water skiing, etc. Surely any resort with these will keep you busy.

I quite enjoy my summer chill but love the winter skiing more.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ski season still not finished yet Wink

I'm going mountain biking. Would die of boredom on a beach. Lake Garda / Dolomites is on the list.
snow report
Plenty of resorts and areas in the Alps have:
Mountain Biking, Zip Wires, outdoor pools and lakes to swim in, 'Go Ape'-type high-wire obstacle courses, summer sledging on tracks, pony trekking, hiking, rock climbing, mineral mines, waterfalls, veteran steam trains, lakes to sail or windsurf on, glaciers, paragliding, white-water rafting, canoes, fabulous views, mountain restaurants, interesting cities nearby, breweries and wineries, sunshine, temperatures in the 30's C, wellness and spa centres ...
snow conditions
I'm going to walk up lots of Munro's this summer with some camping, hopefully a few wild camping. Hopefully going to hike in Norway too. Never done summer holidays in a hotel or beach, would bore me to death. We went to somewhere in Turkey that had sailing, kayaking, scuba diving and cycling and a beach one October so you could do something like that.
latest report
This year we are going to Barbados, I think though a holiday in the alps summertime would be great. I know the zugispitze areana has some fantastic areas, you can sunbathe, swim , boat , whatever on the lakes, can mountain bike down the ski runs. Can shop in fantastic villages and just hop on a train and go see some other interesting things.
latest report
I want to take the Boss and the mutt to somewhere in the Alps. Never done it before and my joints are not up to slogging up or down mountains or tackling cols. We both like a bit of cycling, walking and generally having a bit of fun in the hills - Any suggestions?
ski holidays
Somewhere down near a lake? Garda? Achensee? Tegernsee? or somewhere similar?

edit: oh, or Berchtesgaden
ski holidays
Quote:

my joints are not up to slogging up or down mountains or tackling cols

if you go somewhere with a range of lifts open you can generally do some walking that doesn't involve too much up and down.
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, there are some nice valley paths in Serre Chevalier for walking and cycling . Lift opens in early July, so there is no need to slog up or damage the knees. You can have a walk around up there and get the lift back again. Some of the mountain restos are open, some with delicious food they don't serve in winter. And the mutt will be well-looked after by almost every resto and bar.
snow conditions
pam w, That was my hope. A nice walk up top or a nice bike along and down. Also wondering about the logistics of bikes and a mutt on the lifts. I know who will be getting sacrificed first in the event of trouble Crying or Very sad

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 19-02-14 16:14; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
and you can put bikes on lifts too Smile (but the tracks tend to be a bit hardcore, and certainly not sedate towpath standard)
ski holidays
Best for the mutt on a cable car or gondola.
ski holidays
Quote:

the tracks tend to be a bit hardcore, and certainly not sedate towpath standard

most of the tracks in Les Saisies would terrify me - steep, rocky and loads of corners and trees. wink But there are some much more manageable, and quite long, rides that I'd be able to handle and I dare say that's true elsewhere, too.

Only chairs in the Espace Diamant - not v good for the dog!
latest report
andy, We have both done gnarly downhill at Hafjell and although it was amazing I suspect that it is not what we are looking for this time as we wont be hiring full downhill beasts with stormtrooper armour. Harder trails would be trickier with a dog. Sound good Hells Bells,
snow conditions
Dogs, pushchairs, bikes all accepted on gondolas and cable cars - but for biking on the mountain you need a mountain bike (which you can often hire in resort) rather than grandma's old black Raleigh. Plenty of places also have easy cycling along valley paths and riverside routes. Some places have mountain paths that are suitable for families with small children - e.g. suitable for pushchairs - and with activities such as treasure hunts along the way.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Strax, I'm the same position as you but we've had some great summer holidays too. Consider some of the longer/further destinations, as while the initial travel costs are greater, the accommodation and food costs can be much cheaper than Europe.

From holidays we've had, Thailand was great - bit of site seeing, snorkelling, trying scuba diving and plenty of new experiences. Uganda was also really good - lake by the source of the Nile white water rafting, quad-biking, safari etc
latest report
Strax, Maybe hire a motorhome and drive through Europe. I want to drive to Greece this summer with one, so that we can stay in more remote areas without relying on hotels or staying put. Have taken the car several times to Ancona, Italy and ferrried across to Patra. The Superfast line is fantastic and like a mini-cruise.
ski holidays
Quote:

Dogs, pushchairs, bikes all accepted on gondolas and cable cars - but for biking on the mountain you need a mountain bike (which you can often hire in resort) rather than grandma's old black Raleigh.

I bet grandma's old black raleigh would manage. When I first start this malarky I used a single speed green raleigh bike with rod operated brakes.
latest report
I'm going to Chamonix in 10 days to ski and to make some arrangements for my summer wedding out there. A big part of my decision (sorry, OUR decision) to have the wedding in Chamonix was the variety of accommodation, activities and climate so that it ticked as many boxes as possible for family holidays. Hiking, rafting, golf, outdoor pools, chance of good weather, fine restaurants and easy to get to. And a beautiful church in the centre of town.
snow conditions
Rois1980 wrote:
I'm going to Chamonix in 10 days to ski and to make some arrangements for my summer wedding out there. A big part of my decision (sorry, OUR decision) to have the wedding in Chamonix was the variety of accommodation, activities and climate so that it ticked as many boxes as possible for family holidays. Hiking, rafting, golf, outdoor pools, chance of good weather, fine restaurants and easy to get to. And a beautiful church in the centre of town.

dont you have to be residents to get married in france Puzzled
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, Lech is lovely in summer - plenty of geriatic level lift assisted walking and all in pass for everything (lifts, crazy golf, small golf course schwimmbad etc) included with any accomodation. Dunno about mutts on chairlifts.

Most of Austria does the same thing and I've always fancied Slovenia in summer too.
latest report
Yes, I think Slovenia would be good, too. I've wanted to visit since my Italian-based son had a flat mate from Slovenia - an opera singer.
ski holidays
Nephew's wedding in Chicago. Then spending some time in Wisconsin with other relatives and visiting old haunts then heading off to Montreal and Quebec City for a few days (all in the company of my sister and other halves).
latest report
mountain biking in summer, have been to Saalbach and Schladming the last 2 years. Saalbach is great, has loads of trails from really easy blue runs to pretty scary blacks. They do a special deal where you get your lift pass free with lots of the accommodation so we paid €30ish/person/day for bed and lift pass. Nice mountain restaurants as well so easy to take lots of well deserved breaks. Have day tripped to lots of the lakes in Bavaria as well and would imagine that would make a pretty nice holiday combined with some hiking then a visit to Munich, Salzburg or Innsbruck.
ski holidays
Quote:

Slovenia

good call.
loads of campsites with everything (at least there are in the west). proper cheap. hospitality that beats every single EU country I've visited, and they're all quadrilingual. Walking, hiking, MTBing, canoeing, kayaking, canyoning, paragliding, ... erm I'm sure I missed something there. Oh! and you can say you've visited Narnia if you go to Bovec.
latest report
laundryman, We went to a nephew's wedding in Chicago some years ago - enjoyed the city more than I expected, having read a great book about its history, on the plane going out.
latest report
My summer holiday is in march......I'm off to france snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy