Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Does Scotland have the deepest snow in Europe right now ?

Poster: A snowHead
pam w, although I take your point about willy waving, significant snow depth does mean we're more likely to be skiing into May. Skiing on a few cm in February means it's liable to all melt overnight, whereas 4m is likely to stick around a bit...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
... and it covers up a lot more rocks/heather
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w wrote:
It's just willy waving, boasting about depth of snow. rolling eyes

Didn't you know that we only ski on mud, rocks and icy narrow pistes up here wink

Surely the most snow in Scotland since arguably 1994 means we can get our sausage out ?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
as many have said you can't compare.

I've done many a trip to Scotland for 1 or 2 days skiing, making a decision the night before.

I'd probably never fly to Europe for 1 days skiing (unless tying it into some business or other trip....)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, Did the carabinieri catch them in a high speed skinning chase? Puzzled That would have been good to see snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, There is no such thing as too much snow just inappropriate/unfortunate timing. At least you can blame the SCGB for your current predicament even if their timing was 10 years ago wink Perhaps champagne corks have been popping in Wimbledon this week as they snoop on the snowEvents thread.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
the bizarre thing is that there's been virtually no winter so far below about 500m in scotland. very little sign of snow or even frosts for that matter. i'm in fife, so a decent enough distance from the mountains. however, i noticed a FB post the other day from a guy in braemar who said it's just rain with them too. they usually get whatever's in the mountains given they're bang in the middle of the gorms. makes for stunning photos from glencoe that are doing the rounds, with such a defined snowline.

perhaps not so much willy waving as awe at the amounts being reported and the photos posted.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

There is no such thing as too much snow

disagree. This amount of snow is no use to god nor man - and most of the latter have been up on their roofs for days now, clearing 2 - 3 metres of snow off before the roofs collapse. The roof of one school in Cortina did collapse, but fortunately the school was closed, like all the others round here, and nobody was hurt. People can't get to work, kids can't get to school, there is no medical support in communities cut off.

The timing is neither here nor there, really - whenever this much snow had fallen, it would have just caused lots of problems - not least to mountain restaurants and other businesses which are out of pocket.

It's all very exciting for tourists like ourselves, but really not good news at all. With a lot of lifts now open the whole landscape is covered with unmistakeable evidence of how extremely dangerous it is - huge faults and slides all over the place; I've never seen anything like it. Mountain guides (amongst many others) will be feeling the pinch, with no paying customers. Skullie
    ski holidays
     You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
    pam w, Oh you have to ruin my cheap gag about the SKGB with a dose of reality. Elsewhere I've seen whining about ski related businesses in California being bankrupted due to lack of snow. I sympathise with the immediate disruption and inconvenience it causes but I really don't feel that sorry for businesses - you live by the sword, die by the sword if you choose to make your living in a weather dependent activity or indeed pursue it as a hobby. I reckon on long run as a skier you'll end up giving up at least 5% of potential ski time due to weather realated factors,( 10-15% if you didn't enjoy formative ski experiences in Scotland wink )
    snow report
     Ski the Net with snowHeads
    pam w,.... I sympathise with your current predicament but.... Willy waving???? Really???? Come on, can't you celebrate the fact that the Scottish (British if you prefer) ski centres are in line for a bumper season, stretching way into May. Bringing much needed revenue to all concerned. Which I think is all that the OP was trying to

grazzenger, totally agree, we have had such a mild winter in Moray. By now I have usually lost 3-4 weeks work due to the weather, but this winter it's only been 2-3 days. It's been so good that we are even looking at an extremely rare 2nd week abroad at Easter, if the OH recovers in time from an operation. Looking forward to many good days skiing at home regardless of what happens though.
    latest report
     snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
    My pet donkey has escaped, please keep you eyes open.

Called eyore and never very happy.
    snow report
     And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
    And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
    There is indeed such a thing as too much snow, I agree. From a cash flow perspective, the money's not coming in for the Scottish ski centres but I'm sure the bills are. I hope that if they've need for short term overdraft facilities to pay the staff to try and get lifts dug out just to see them fill in again, then their bank managers are sensible enough to see that the money is coming in March and April and May!

my little family will certainly be taking advantage of all that snow for as long as we can this season and supporting Scottish ski centres.
    latest report
     So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
    So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
    There is indeed such a thing as too much snow, I agree. From a cash flow perspective, the money's not coming in for the Scottish ski centres but I'm sure the bills are. I hope that if they've need for short term overdraft facilities to pay the staff to try and get lifts dug out just to see them fill in again, then their bank managers are sensible enough to see that the money is coming in March and April and May!

my little family will certainly be taking advantage of all that snow for as long as we can this season and supporting Scottish ski centres.
    snow report
     You know it makes sense.
    You know it makes sense.
    How to have a perfect day skiing/boarding in Scotland.

Is there going to be good cover tomorrow, if no don't bother.
    Is it going to be a bluebird day tomorrow, if no don't bother.
    Is it the weekend tomorrow, if yes don't bother.
    Is it a school holiday tomorrow, if yes don't bother.

If you get past these 4 questions you will be guaranteed a great day, happens a couple of times a season.
    snow report
     Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
    JimboS, two words, touring setup. Very Happy
    ski holidays
    JimboS wrote:

If you get past these 4 questions you will be guaranteed a great day, happens a couple of times a season.

If you don't go then you will never know....
    Easy to be an expert from the sofa.
    snow report
    The problem is even if it one of the rare good days in Scotland the queues are likely to be horrendous.
    Touring is the solution…piste skiing is awful anyway...
    snow report
    nevis1003 wrote:
    The problem is even if it one of the rare good days in Scotland the queues are likely to be horrendous.
    Touring is the solution…piste skiing is awful anyway...

^ utter baws : usually they get 1 or 2 busy weekends when the snow arrives at the start of the winter.
    but come mid Feb -> April (often the best skiing & weather) then the crowds are almost always gone / dispersed amongst the 5 ski areas.

certainly Cairngorm *sometimes* get stupidly busy - its a tourist trap and in their wisdom the management removed some key lifts without replacing them.
    however at Glencoe, Nevis Range, Lecht and Glenshee it is fair to say that unbearable queues are an exception rather than the norm.
    at the end of last April we were skiing boot deep fresh snow / blue sky at Glencoe, on a weekend, with less than 30 people on the hill.

I do agree 100% that touring equipment opens up your options massively.
    but have enjoyed some great lift served skiing in Scotland as well.
    snow report
    It seems to me like people will look for any excuse to avoid a trip up North. Personally, I have had a couple of my best days skiing anywhere, in Scotland. Waist deep powder in the back corries at Nevis back in 98 - I can remember as it was the only skiing done that year that our first little one arrived. Last Easter at Glenshee was simply breathtaking. 3 bluebird days, all over cover and little more than 5 minutes queueing max, and that was only to keep lapping Glas Maol! Problem with that trip is that it was the kids first and only experience of Scotland and they now expect it to be like that when we get up later this year. Mind you, Glenshee looks just as good today and would have been tempted to jump in the car last night if we weren't heading to Val Cenis next Friday.
    ski holidays
    I have been as far north as Stafford. Happy to turn around and head back south. It was Easter and snowing though so got knows how much the Scots copped.
    snow report
    Haggis_Trap wrote:
    JimboS wrote:

If you don't go then you will never know....
    Easy to be an expert from the sofa.

This strategy is born out of my personal experience of skiing and boarding in Scotland every year for the last 25 years. This way, every day I board in Scotland is a fantastic day.

In fact today meets all the criteria, but unfortunately I had another commitment. Sad
    snow report
    ^ funnily enough all your 4 criteria were met today.
    Scotland is delivering the goods right here / right now.
    sure wish I was up the hill and not at work... Wink

latest report
    Mine are 5....and have worked well for many years!

Do I have any work commitments I can't shift, if yes don't bother
    snow report
    Haggis_Trap, that looks intense...

I've only skiied in Scotland at the weekend (and only twice so far), sadly midweek skiing is difficult for me. The queues weren't that bad... Wasn't a bluebird either time, vis was fine though. Compared to not skiing at all, I'd take that any day.
    latest report
    And it was miles better than the fridge in Manchester that I used to go to.
    snow report
    Looks good! I would definitely rather ski there than a fridge.
    snow report
    Haggis_Trap, nice.

Some of my favorite runs are on that wee bit hill.
    ski holidays
    Perhaps when cost is in question I might point out there are extremely cheap B&Bs in places like Fort William (by Nevis and not that far from Glencoe) some at £30 each for a shared double for next weekend. (I'm sorry I can't go up but my bust leg prevents it - I should be in Gressoney/Alagna right now where they have fabulous deep snow - these pics were sent to me (the last shows just the top of the skier's head and right glove)
    (Oops, got to put the photos on snow media zone first - back in a mo)

OK:

On the basis of that they have deeper powder (but possibly not snowpack).

Can you ski down to the bottom of the mountain at Nevis? (I'm presuming you can ski to the carpark at Glencoe - ie down the access chairlift below the Winterhighland photo above).
    latest report
     You know it makes sense.
    You know it makes sense.
    Don't really want to get into the scotland v the world debate but it is simple maths to see that it is hugely cheaper to ski in scotland than in europe if you live in the UK. Anyone suggesting otherwise is just nuts. If you fill a car with four people and spend £100 on fuel then that's £25 each. You can't even get a transfer to most resorts from Geneva for that, never mind a flight. Even if you are going over from Ireland, you are only going to add £50 each to the cost for a ferry so a total of £75.
    snow report
    Lift passes on Par with big french resorts.

Are there any ski to door places in Scotland, I would love to convince the other half to try it. If we could, this would be a bonus holiday.
    snow report
    Quote:
    it is simple maths to see that it is hugely cheaper to ski in scotland than in europe if you live in the UK. Anyone suggesting otherwise is just nuts. If you fill a car with four people and spend £100 on fuel then that's £25 each. You can't even get a transfer to most resorts from Geneva for that, never mind a flight.
    Add in a Travelodge (eg Perth en route or Fort William once you've got there) and/or a clean, warm, but has seen better days and now-caters-mainly-for-coach-parties hotel (Double room around £50 inc full breakfast) and everyone's a winner (baby, that's no lie) wink

Weather will be checked for this weekend once I've finished posting on here.
    latest report
    I really want to go for Easter! Even if the snow isn't good could still be a nice weekend in Scotland. Unfortunately having trouble selling the idea of committing to drive up from London to boyfriend.
    snow report
    leave him being sad in the house, or get a new one wink
    snow conditions
    Quote:

leave him being sad in the house, or get a new one

Selfishly I want him to come to share the driving snowHead
    latest report
    Haggis_Trap, It really looks lovely.
    snow report
    kat.ryb, easter last year was fantastic at Glen Coe and Cairngorm. Easter this year is mid April though - so it's a long way off.
    ski holidays
    I had a great day skiing at Glenshee today, sunny all day but cloudier to start with before the sun really burst through the clouds in the afternoon, no wind to speak of. And the snow was at an unbelievable depth!

ski holidays
    Nice front page on tomorrow's Telegraph (Scottish edition).
    snow conditions
    nozawaonsen, just googled 'Scottish Telegraph', hit the first link, and quickly remembered why they call it the Torygraph. Laughing Can't see anything related to skiing though. Puzzled
    snow conditions
    fatbob wrote:
    rungsp, One tank in a normalish car is £60-£70, double that and you're at the price of a rtn to GVA (booked in advance). Taking a train at short notice costs much more. So it's hardly a cheap as chips option.

I think it is a crying shame that so few British skiers get to experience the wonderful skiing in our own country (pre devolution of course, we won't want to be giving those stinking jockos any of our precious £ post-devo wink ). On their day the backbowls at Nevis or the view from Glencoe etc compare with anywhere in the world. But I see why southerners in particular find it a hard buy. Perhaps BASI need to have a mandatory White Lady module etc.

If you are travelling solo then you have a point but sharing with at least one other brings the cost down. By the time you factor in getting to/from the airports at each end, parking and transfers its hard to see how a weekend in Scotland won't be cheaper than Europe.
    ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy