Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grindelwald

Poster: A snowHead
I've read through the Jungfrau region thread and have a good idea of the skiing etc but I was hoping for some advice on a resort. I am meeting up with our usual ski group tomorrow and we are deciding on where to go next year. Top of the list at present is Mayrhofen. (thanks for the advice previously). We tend to like a reasonable selection of bars and extensive skiing (200km of piste). We have been to Austria for the past few years so I am wondering whether Grindelwald will be a bit quiet for us. This year we also have 3 beginners coming with us - 2 of them may not take to skiing, so a reasonable level of activites for non-skiers may be good, just in case. Please help!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Grindelwald is a great place for non skiers. The Jungfrau region have a separate lift pass for non skiers and loads of walking trails/toboggan runs. The ski pass also covers you into Interlaken which is a beautiful town with loads of shops (some expensive!). I've not sure what the apres ski is like in Grindelwald, but the skiing is great.

Over to DG Orf!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The toboggan runs in Grindelwald are just amazing, and in a few of the lifts (First gondola for example) when I was there in wk1 Feb, the tobogganers almost outnumbered the skiers! Unlike most resorts where you have to wait until after the skiers have finished for the day, in Grindelwald you can do it all day, and the resort also claims to have the longest run in the world, so beginners/non-skiers should have fun!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Although, beware about the longest run.....it isn't serviced by lifts, so involves a 20 min gondola ride up to First, and then a 2 1/2 hour hike up to the top! There are shorter ones that have full lift access though snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
2 1/2 hour hike! Eeek, I won't tell them that!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A day trip to Murren and Piz Gloria is great for non skiers, also a good choice for skiing on the Saturday / Sunday when Grindelwald gets crowded. Sorry, can't help on the bars, except that the Hotel Derby was OK, a quiet bar on the ground floor and a noisy bar in the cellar. The 'open' wine is good value, sold by glass, 0.25 litre, 0.5 litre etc, and beer wasn't expensive in the hotel bars / ski slopes.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you had a choice between Grindelwald and Wengen,go for Wengen.One of the main reasons for that is its very low down at 1034m plus both have the same sort of nightlife...

I prefer Mürren thou but it has hardly any nightlife but thats what i prefer coming from the 'rat race of normal life'. snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd disagree! If you have non skiers, Grindelwald has more to do and easier access.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ok Elizabeth,what can you do more in Grindelwald than Wengen ?? Blush
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Shop. Drive. Walk on the flat. Access Interlaken without having to change train. Get home at 2am from a night out in another resort. Get a bus. Access the toboggan runs at First before lunch time.

I'd always choose Wengen (actually I usually choose Lauterbrunnen) above Grindelwald, but then I'm a keen skier and like to be able to access the Schilthorn several times in my holiday. However when I went with my parents, who don't ski, we found that Grindelwald was a better base for non-skiers.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
which station round there makes the most sense for a day trip ? I've been to Grindelwald a couple of years back for a weekend but I was thinking of going round that way next weekend and I don't know the area so well.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ise, It depends on what sort of skiing you want.....and what the snow is like.

Murren/Schilthorn is at the highest altitude, therefore usually retains the snow better. It also has a lot of off piste options from the top. If you haven't been, the schilthorn is definitely worth a visit on a clear day (beware - a 1 - 2 day lift pass only covers you for the journey up, you either have to ski down a black or pay to ride down).

Manlichen/Kleine Scheidegg is accessable from Grindelwald or Wengen. Manlichen has lots of snow making and is great for cruising/carving. Snow permitting, the runs between Manlichen and KS are usually quiet and used by people crossing from one to the other, so are great to ski all day on!!

First tends to be more limited, especially if snow isn't good. When I was there last week, only about 6 runs were open.

I arrive in Lauterbrunnen early next sat pm, so if you're likely to be around pm me and we could meet up if you like?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Elizabeth - How can you be a keen skier when your time is taken by 'shopping,driving and have late nights out' Little Angel but i still don't understand why Grindelwald Little Angel

ise- Make sure you ski from the Schilthorn but first try there new chinese menu,just what i needed before skiing back to Mürren Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Elizabeth B wrote:
ise, It depends on what sort of skiing you want.....and what the snow is like.

I'd been before for the weekend for the office ski trip on a coach and didn't pay any attention to access etc. Reading some of the comments here I'd got an impression car access was problematic and I wanted pick the right car park basically.

Quote:
I arrive in Lauterbrunnen early next sat pm, so if you're likely to be around pm me and we could meet up if you like?

I'll let you know in the week.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
wherever you go have a great time snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
Chris Brookes, I never shop, drive when lifts are open, and rarely have nights out, however I know that some do Wink I didn't realise that your question was directed at what I did......more what one could do, if one chose not to ski snowHead

ise, there are plenty of car parks in Lauterbrunnen.....most of them are serviced by a bus. If you want to go up the schilthorn, you can drive through Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg (sic?) where there is a car park at the bottom of the cable car.
ski holidays
Elizabeth,it was a joke sorry if you took it the wrong way. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
Elizabeth B, Sorry I've been a bit busy this week, anyway, for what it's worth and I've said it somewhere else, Grindelwald has slightly better access to Interlaken etc, if you want night life, wengen despite only being a tiny bit higher usually has better snow back to the resort, and murren being a lot higher has better snow, but no real nightlife or much of anything else, if you have intermediates and beginners in the group I'd go for Wengen over Grindelwald also the scenery is slightly nicer, if you have a lot of non skiers the Grindelwald would be a good choice as there is a little more to do there, if you want a slightly cheaper holiday the Lauterbrunnen is a good choice and if you have mainly intermediates to advanced skier it may be worth considering Murren, anyway there are lots of pics of the area over on my website if you'd like a look
http://uk.geocities.com/david.orf@btinternet.com/Jungfrau_Pages.html
snow report
Chris Brookes, Embarassed sorry, it was late at night. My sense of humour detector must have gone to bed without me Wink
ski holidays
No worries Very Happy
snow conditions
Elizabeth, Have you been to the Trummelbach Falls in Lauterbrunnen ?? They open in April ..
snow report
I'll second that, well worth seeing, actually inside the mountain and all lit with coloured lights oh and very noisy ! If taking a film camera get some fast film I used Konica 3200 ASA film and got good results but they don't make it any more, they do however do a 1600 ASA film which might be worth a go, using digital or flash will not produce anything like as good a result unfortunately. If I can find my old pics I took there many years ago I may add them to my site, when I get the time Shocked
snow conditions
I went there about 10 years ago, in the summer. All I can remember about them was my dad wore a raincoat that went below his shorts, making him look like a flasher Embarassed

I'm sure the falls were great snowHead
ski holidays
Well David,find the time and update the site.....please Little Angel

I found a gallery site ages ago of the Jungfrau Region taken by Ronald & Charlotte Williams.They visited the region and took some excellent pictures in the summer sometime which included the Trummelbach Falls.. If you get the time Elizabeth do visit it..

http://www.isber.ucsb.edu/~avssnt/gallery/album28?&page=5
snow report
Elizabeth B wrote:
Chris Brookes, I never shop, drive when lifts are open, and rarely have nights out, however I know that some do Wink I didn't realise that your question was directed at what I did......more what one could do, if one chose not to ski snowHead

ise, there are plenty of car parks in Lauterbrunnen.....most of them are serviced by a bus. If you want to go up the schilthorn, you can drive through Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg (sic?) where there is a car park at the bottom of the cable car.

I'm pretty sure I'll go on Monday now, the access at Stechelberg or Grund look the easiest according to the map.
snow report
ise, the snow looks to be good out there. I had a message last night from a friend who's there saying it was improving all the time with the fresh stuff snowHead Roll on Saturday snowHead
snow conditions
Elizabeth B wrote:
ise, the snow looks to be good out there. I had a message last night from a friend who's there saying it was improving all the time with the fresh stuff snowHead Roll on Saturday snowHead

Sounds great, hopefully see you on Monday then ! I'm going to Gstaad tomorrow and Flaine on Saturday and maybe Gstaad again on Sunday afternoon, sounds like some nice conditions for the weekend.
snow report
ise, I hope you dined at the Eagle?! Wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy