Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes for beginners

Poster: A snowHead
I have just seen a good deal on a chalet holiday to Tignes. 3 of our group of 6 have never skied before. Where to Ski and Snowboard 2004 doesn't rate Tignes as a good resort for newbies. What are your thoughts? Would particularly like to hear from anyone who learned there themselves. I don't want to go somewhere that beginners will be confined to just one or two slopes.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
conor,
I have been to Tignes with a beginner who had a great time, I sometimes think that this 'not good for beginners' tag can be overdone.
Having said that a lot depends on the aptitude and attitudes of the people involved.

The advantages for beginners are that the snow is generally very good being so high, which for a beginner is a huge advantage. and the nursery slopes are free and close to the resort.
The disadvantages are that the really gentle non nursery slopes are on the Vald'Isere side of the mountain there are no really easy ways down to the resort. It is a bloody ugly place with not a lot to do if you don't like skiing.

Personally I would not particularly recommend it for a beginner going for themselves for a first time but as part of a mixed party if the people involoved are sporty I wouldn't be put off.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
conor, If you want a resort where beginners are not restricted to a couple of nursery slopes then La Rosiere could be a better bet for you. When are you thinking of going?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
David@traxvax, looking at booking for 5th March (can't do the 4th which is another problem in itself). I've been considering Meribel, Les Arcs (but not many chalets there), Serre Chevalier. Basically, big places with lots to do for beginners as well as more challenging stuff (I love my moguls snowHead ) I am also desperately trying to keep the costs below £600 per person.

(I have been on holidays in the past with beginners where the resorts really weren't suitable for them at all and I want to avoid this)

I am open to other suggestions. I really want to go to Tignes/Val at some point, but don't want to take the risk with newbies, although they are all pretty sporty/confident/cocky etc. £349 per person inc. flights and fully catered chalet is v. tempting though Mad
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
conor, if they're beginners I'd say that choice of ski school is equally as important as the choice of resort. Somewhere like Courchevel 1850 or La Tania would give your experienced skiers access to the Trois Vallees, and you could suggest they take lessons with a ski school like Ski Supreme.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar.org.uk, Courcheval would be ideal - still trawling the web for deals but not much coming up there Sad I was under the impression that La Tania was not great for beginners. Just e-mailed some company about a 6 person chalet in Meribel Village which is going for £529. Looks okay, particularly as its one of the few I've seen that depart on the Sunday. Shall keep trawling though. I like the idea of Meribel as it is in the middle and I also learned there and had a good experience. Snow's not great though.

Quote:

if they're beginners I'd say that choice of ski school is equally as important as the choice of resort

I agree. Can't remember who I learned with. Possibly Magic in Motion. But I hear New Generation are quite good and all British.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've just noticed that 'Meribel Village' seems to not be the main resort itself and is apparently about 2kms away. Anyone stayed there or know what it's like??
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
s David@traxvax, says , La Rosiere is great for Newbies. Superb instructors there, quiet slopes, lovely skiing, and you will save at least £100 per head on spendies. Everything is cheaper than in 3 Valleys, Tignes etc etc.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
conor, the price you've quoted is amazingly cheap, that week with us is £440.00 less 5% snowheads discount, so you could keep the cost below £600, provided you book your flights now. easyjet have a sale on at the moment and Luton/Geneva has been available @£19.99. have a look at our website www.tracksvacations.com or see our ad in snowShops there are also some reviews of La Rosiere in the resort section. The ski schools in La Rosiere are also of a very high standard and our skiing is split between France and Italy which make it quite different from the other Tarentaise resorts, we're in the same valley as Val d' Tignes, Les Arcs.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

conor, the price you've quoted is amazingly cheap

Yes, I'm waiting for them to call me back. Given that it includes flights/transfer, there has to be something wrong with it.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I would suggest that you don't risk Tignes for beginners. I was there with a not particularly confident skier last year and it was a nightmare all round.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tignes is ok for beginners, there should be no problem to find a convenient run when more pistes start to open.
Maybe you need someone to show you around. If you're interested, you can have high quality lessons in English from a teacher from ESF le Lac. Best to contact her personally (ellen.tuerlinckx@lycos.com), because if she's not available the people at ESF might set you up with a non-englisch speaking teacher.

Rgds,
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have found Tignes to be fine for beginners provided they are fairly athletic. I took a mixed ability group with a couple of never-evers there a couple of years back and it worked as well there as it would have done anywhere else - sadly I don't recall which ski school we used. I would look somewhere else if any of your people are likely to be cautious/nervous - Couchevel 1650/1850 would be much better options if you think this is going to be the case.

Quick points - if you do plump for Tignes then be careful taking the beginners up to the tempting green runs on the Val side. These are a) not all green - the "green" down into La Daille has a bit of a reputation and b) you can usually stick them in the Aeroski gondola back down while you cane it down Trolles at the end of the day - but they sometimes randomly shut the Aeroski with no warning. This can be a pain in the neck.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Obviously a mixed reaction here, but I think it really depends on the person. I went with a group of three complete beginners. My wife flunked out of ski school, feeling the instructor pushed her too hard (skiing with one ski - not something I remember having to do in my first week!), but my brother and best mate both made good progress.

Same thing happened when I did ski school in Andorra - a group of 5 of us did ski school together, four of us got on really well, while just one of the group really hated it.

I think it's to do with mentality and fitness - if you are athletic OR if you just have a "don't care if I fall over 100 times" attitude you will do well in ski school anywhere. On the other hand, if you aren't terribly fit, or if you are a little timid, there are definitely more beginner friendly resorts. Good luck and enjoy!

One thing I can say - if you do ski school in Plagne Bellecote they have a lovely gentle nursery slope with an escalator to get up - no messing around with rope pulls or t-bars - both of which I have seen unseat even experienced skiiers.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rade, welcome to snowHead snowHeads snowHead

you don't happen to know Mike and Sue B. by any chance?
ski holidays
Quote:

you don't happen to know Mike and Sue B. by any chance

No, never heard about them.
snow report
Thanks for all the advice folks. I've been trying to book something for days, but have had a problem finding suitable places with Sunday flights.

I'm pleased to say I have now booked a chalet in Serre Chevalier, which looks like a great ski area (bit worried about the lowish resort altitidue but most runs look above 1900 metres so should be good I hope).

Thanks again snowHead 's, anyone who's been to Serre Che tell me about it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy