Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Thorens / Trois Vallees

Poster: A snowHead
The sun came out at lunchtime and some excellent skiing was to be had in the afternoon. Tete Ronde off Peclet in excellent condition, and the Boismint/plan de l'eau runs good down as far as bottom of the Plan de l'eau chairlift (the lowest in the VT area). Both these runs are without artificial snow, so this is progress. Quite a bit of activity, but not unpleasantly crowded.

This view from the top of Peclet shows lots of nice white mountains:

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have just returned from a week in Val Thorens. The pistes should now be in excellent condition due to the large snow fall over the past couple of days. Our last day was Sunday, and once the sky cleared the conditions were excellent. the pistes could probably do with some bashing and grooming by now.

Two things about Val thorens:-
1. I was really surprised by the lack of queues. the longest we had to queue all week was 3 mins for one of the fast chairs.
2. It was the best skiing holiday that we have ever had!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
wazza, delighted to hear that you had a good time. Long lift queues in VT are, indeed, relatively rare (except for the Caron cable car).

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 3-01-06 17:15; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Report for today: slopes generally in very good condition across the Trois Vallees with plenty of nice soft stuff - but the lower slopes in Courchevel are not so good; grass visible on the way down to 1550, and the Brigues run down to Le Praz was frankly horrible - very icy indeed with some rocks.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

2. It was the best skiing holiday that we have ever had!

Isn't that just the best feeling Very Happy snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Alastair, will be at the main stadium tomorrow from around 11ish, the children's Super G race I'm going to is after the earlier Junior GS.

Apparently the race isn't on the usual SuperG piste because the resort has stuck a pylon in the middle and FIS will no longer approve it for SuperG rolling eyes

Don't know exactly what time I'll be there but definitely early afternoon. I'll wear the Les Arcs jacket as I'm not skiing, so if you're around you can't miss me!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
VT and Les Menuires still in generally very good condition; quite a lot of ice on the blue going down into St Martin. Jerusalem open, in good condition and great fun.

PG, sorry to miss you - did look out for you without success.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
No problem - I was there, though I climbed up to the top of the first wall (about 150m or so) to take some pictures around 2 to 2.30ish...

Didn't come across any ice though on the few runs I did... see blog...

Going up early tomorrow, will be there around 8am rolling eyes (not through choice)... First GS run scheduled for 9am, second around 11am, then hopefully some free skiing for an hour or two...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I remember last season when I had an unfortunate collision with a local in Andorra who blamed me for stopping on the side of the piste - he completely snapped my pole. I found it really hard to ski back across to Pas de la Casa. The difference in balance was amazing. I found it difficult just to ski.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Monday pm should see the Lardy Love God gracing the slopes. Keep the info coming in. Sorry to hear about Hannah's thumb PG, Not broken but I'll bet its now getting very stiff & sore.

Keep it coming Alastair & PG, if you can. By Sunday evening I hope to have a complete, ice free itinary complete with lunch stops.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 5-01-06 0:33; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We had a really nice lunch in Val Thorens. At the restaurant just down and to the right of the top of the cascades chair.

However it was nothing compared to the lunch itinerary that I have planned for next week in Zermatt. Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Anyone in Courchevel this coming week? Oxford University are taking on the local team at ice hockey - taking place at the ice skating rink at Courchevel 1850, Thursday 12th Jan at 8.30pm, bookable by phone (04 79 08 19 50)...

Or as the local advertising puts it....
Quote:

Courchevel will meet Oxford on the ice for a very animate hockey game at the ice rink. Considering the number of British people present at Courchevel, we bet they will make us hear their voice! On Thursday, fans of manly gatherings will enjoy the show: speed, slides, falls and fun....
Fans of 'animate' and 'manly gatherings' get your tickets now! Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nope, not until the week of the 29th. Hoping (and trusting!) the snow will do it's usual trick of dumping mid-Jan
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PG, I trust the translation wasn't your work then wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The British Navy have just arrived in Les Menuires for their ski & board championship. Have a look here to see how they have already hijacked the webcam Laughing
ski holidays
Excellent! well done chaps!
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
The British Navy have just arrived in Les Menuires for their ski & board championship. Have a look here to see how they have already hijacked the webcam Laughing

Surely the Navy only snowboard wink
snow conditions
Great skiing in VT today with well prepared pistes and sunshine - just a thin layer of high cloud. Not many people around so with almost the entire area now open the pistes aren't crowded.
latest report
Couple of pics from La Tania/Courchevel from Thurs 5th / Fri 6th..... Sorry about the the quality... they are from a camera phone

Great conditions early last week but starting to get a bit packed & icy towards the end of the week.... very quiet out there though Smile fab snowHead

La Folyeres

Courchevel (Vizelle)

Very Happy
snow report
Honda Kitty, how did the week in the chalet go?
snow report
Cathy Coins, Hiya! Smile it was awesome thank you!! I was incredibly lucky with the snow/food/people in chalet/accomodation & travel - I drank far too much champagne and had best week ever!!

New Years Eve in La Tania was fabulous and New Years Day riding was surreal....

I might just have do it again!
latest report
Generally good today, except for the Courchevel side of the Meribel valley which was pretty icy (no surprise really). Runs to Courchevel 1650 generally good; Park City stony on the steep section; Mont Vallon excellent. A good day's skiing in unbroken sunshine Very Happy .
ski holidays
Another nice sunny day, but windy at the top. Boismint area good, but much of the rest of VT pretty hard with icy patches now - make sure your edges are in good nick! Runs down to Les Menuires and St Martin similar.
latest report
Any sign of snow forcast in near future? Heading out on 3rd Feb, so I'll be doing the snow dance tonight!

Have had the skiis serviced, just incase!
latest report
weirdonorskie, Yes early next week it is on its way
ski holidays
Quick trip across the 3Vs today - generally very hard packed with quite a bit of ice, but at least the pistes are quiet. Some of the lower slopes at Courchevel pretty horrible - the bottom section of Creux, for example, horribly rocky in places - and no marking of hazards. Chapelets similar (but with a nice new chair rather than those horrible long drags). On the way back to VT, did Goitshel faster than I've done it before - must try to be in control next time, though Very Happy .

The new snow forecast for this week willl be most welcome.
latest report
Alastair, when there's no one one it Goitshel really the right pitch to hack it really hard isn't it Little Angel although I'm sure you're far more capable of doing it than me!
snow conditions
stevew, when it's as icy as it was today you don't have too much choice Shocked .
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snowing today Very Happy .
ski holidays
It's a start. Frm the webcams only looks about 2-3 cm on the cars, but its a step in the right direction. Not going for another 4 weeks, but already fretting! snowHead
latest report
Chris Bish, Just back, had an interesting time (but thats another story). Snow at the start of last week was ok, but by the end of the week it was "good for the technique". My new skis have a needa good shave now, looks like some one has been at the edges with a grinder. Very strange.
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, Thought it had been quiet last week! tell us all... c'mon where did you get to??? snowHead
snow conditions
Chris Bish, Shall do a full trip report in due course, but it there was never a dull moment (understatement of the year). Ski theft and blue light ambulance trips being just the start.

Before you get worried my new RX8s are fine wink
ski holidays
Look forward to all the gory details, though the blue-light ambulance bit sounds worrying........ snowHead
snow conditions
Snow cover is generally good with few rocks after the snow in the first half of last week, but the higher temperatures on Thursday and Friday (when conditions were apparantly superb) have not done a great deal for the surface. Temperatures lower again now, with brilliant sunshine. Many pistes across the 3Vs now fairly hard with icy patches although good snow can be found in places. Another dump would be nice.
ski holidays
Horribly high winds last night were doing a good job of blowing away what little snow was on the ground. The Place de Caron turned to sheet ice and was dangerous to walk in except where they had run a piste basher over to churn things up a bit. This morning snow is falling at last but all the lifts are shut due to the winds. VT isn't a very nice place to be at the moment!
latest report
Hmmm - hope it improves, am going out to Les Menuires tomorrow ... The ever optimisitc snow-forecast.com is showing 12cm mid-mountain over the weekend with winds dying down after the weekend.
ski holidays
@rse!!
To make the fact that it's not snowing in Meribel even worse (I'm there for the first week in february), I'm looking out the window here and it's dumping and has been for pretty much the whole month! In fact the amount of snow that fell in Whistler last night is similar to the total base in Meribel - doh!!!
snow conditions
Only a few lifts were open yesterday, but they're almost all open today. The wind is still stong enough to make the chairlift rides interesting...

Conditions in VT are grim at the moment - all slopes (that I skied) very hard packed, icy and rocky in places despite the best endeavours of the pisteurs. Less fun to ski on than the artificial pistes in November. Winds continuing to do damage. Forget off-piste - rocks, rocks,rocks.
ski holidays
stuarth, typical!!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy