Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

L2A Mini Season

Poster: A snowHead
Claude B, I thought is was blowing when the L2A app showed the glacier runs as being shut this morning. You must be there for a while if you went for the Perrier and not the beer....
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So I fouled up big time today Sad It was filthy weather this morning so I went up about 10.30. However hardly any lifts were open and after 1 run down the busy Cretes I skied down the Diable Black back to town and had a coffee. I got on the Jandri Express to Toura and very nearly (but not quite) got back on to download. Heavy snow, awful visibilty and strong winds weren't very inviting so after skiing back to Cretes I returned to town on the Valentine at 1, wet, cold and miserable. I also started to feel a bit rough. Apparently there'a a gastroenteritis epedemic in France I hope I'm not coming down with something. Swapped the usual beer in the Lutins for a Perrier atm Shocked

So I skied in this.

I had been due to meet Richard E at 2 but wasn't up to going out again. He must be charmed. The sun broke through almost spot on 2 and lasted for most of the afternoon.

So I didn't ski in this

Looks like light snow for the next 3 or 4 days.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I shouldn't really have enjoyed today, with 60km/h winds gusting all over the place, but I actually did. After nothing stronger than perrier last night and 10 hours sleep I felt great this morning and was at the lift shortly before 9.30. It was fairly bright but the wind was making a mess of some pistes and when a gust hit you it was a job to keep going and the snow really stung. I kept moving around without going too high although I did make it to the top of Toura (2900m) where I took the 2 photos which are supposed to show the wind (but don't). Cloud started coming in about lunchtime and everywhere above about 2400m was affected. However I had a beautiful run down the Thuit before returning on the Valentine (which was in great condition and the best I've skied it) at 2. A friend has now arrived and staying with me and we're doing easiski's on2off along with a few others Happy

ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the pics and comments.
There on feb 22 for a week boarding. cant wait! Will you still be there?
Are there any must-do things?
How about la grave?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jicjoc, No I'll be back in UK then, returning for the last 6 weeks of the season. I may be getting over to La Grave this week, have been before. You do need a guide. ESS do day trips, quite reasonably priced.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Along with pam w, welshksier and a couple of others I'm on easiski's on2off course this week. It looked distinctly unpromising looking up the mountain 1st thing, light snow and poor visibility. However we got to the Cretes to find about 20cm of fresh snow. After a couple of warm up runs we started at 10 and once Charlotte had sussed our skiing out she decided we had to take advantage of the powder. So we had about 90 minutes or so off piste in fairly deep powder above the Thuit piste, it's pretty steep there too. It was a fantastic morning. The 5 of us skied together this afternoon but visibility wasn't great in places and as we were all tiring the last 3 of us came down at 3.30. A really, really good day. Looking at the videos in an hour or so.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Claude B, sounds fab, enjoy yourself snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sounds fun, wish I was there!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Out there at the half term, so assuming very busy. Wifey is on the C2C with Charlotte, at present she is the only one, so if anyone else out there at the time, she has vacancies. Looking forward to going, appreciate the updates you are posting Claude, looks like a bit of a dump towards the end of this week, so enjoy.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Two of us came down after the lesson today - visibility was horrible up there! Lessons in the murk are always worthwhile, but I get too many chances to do "free skiing" in decent weather to want to wallow around in the fog. Yes, you're right, I'm spoiled. wink No powder today - couldn't see enough. So we tried to get our ankles bending more and did some one-footed skiing. Tomorrow morning we are doing the free avalanche talk and transceiver training, set up by the resort.

Claude B is sticking to rule 5. wink He knows his way round here very well - I don't and trying to keep 5 of us together in poor vis would be a bit of a mission even for someone who does know the resort well.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, Claude B needs to come in, get the kettle on and put a cake in the oven from the sound of your other post earlier Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, has already posted, my take on today. Simon was the rule 5 man drills until 4.15 Shocked

A pretty awful day today tbh. 9 o'clock lift and arrived at the Cretes shrouded in fog. There were one or two clearer patches for a while. Much of the 2 hour+ session with easiski was in pretty bad visibilty which limited what we could do. We all gained a lot from it although off piste work wasn't possible. By lunch it was really bad everywhere and after a bite to eat 3 of us decided to head for the glacier on the basis that it couldn't actually be any worse. We passed through a clear patch but that had gone by the time we skied back down. We skied from 3200m down to 1650m and only the last 200m or so had any visibility at all. It's a good job that between 2 of us we've skied about 30 weeks here and had a good idea where we were. It's been snowing lightly for the last couple of hours. Tomorrow morning we've an avalanche awareness session with possibly La Grave in the afternoon depending on the forecast for the rest of the week. I couldn't see any point in taking photos of pea soup today!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
a mixed bag today, sadly ending in an ACL injury for one of the group, on the "Grande Pente" off piste back down into the resort. He was very brave, skiing the rest of the run on his good leg (which was only sometimes the downhill leg - good job we'd been doing some exercises balancing on the top ski earlier). The rest of us got masses of side-slipping practice, to smooth the moguls and ease his descent. Once we reached a piste Charlotte called in the piste patrol to cart him down, and he is off to Grenoble in the morning for an MRI to identify the extent of the injury. (NB because the casualty had Carte Neige insurance his skis weren't taken hostage).

The morning had been spent at a talk about avalanches and safety, provided by the resort, followed by an practical transceiver drill - something I'd never done before, very useful. And a great afternoon's lesson with easiski, in beautiful conditions, including a very useful session on the "get you out of trouble off piste" stem christie which I intend to practice A LOT!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
another beautiful day - just icing a puffy knee before setting off for the lesson starting at 10. John has set off to Grenoble in a taxi. Sad

Hope that Claude B will be in good form after "anchoring" him from above, down the steepest section of the side-slip yesterday, hanging on to his pole - not easy; I found side-slipping that far quite hard enough work just on my own, with two good (ish) legs.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
10 days till I'm there Happy can't wait!
ski holidays
Fingers crossed for John Claude B, and pam w, have been reading Charlotte's blog where she mentioned his injury.
snow conditions
My turn! Charlotte drove us to La Grave (now only 4 with John waiting to hear the results of his MRI, although his wife Cathy is back in action after a calf strain) and we had a great time. Snow is really good and Charlotte's gentle encouragement! seems to be having an affect. Claude B may post some pics later.
ski holidays
Quote:

Charlotte's gentle encouragement!

she didn't even get cross when I kept repeating the same mistakes!
ski holidays
Been a couple of posts already but my take on the last 2 days.

A couple of very eventful days. Yesterday was a beautiful sunny day and we spent the morning on an avalanche awareness talk with practical session in the tranceiver park. The afternoon we went off sking mainly off piste and it was very nice. Last run of the day was back down the Grand Pont (off piste parallel to Valentine). Unfortunately we had a man down and after we managed to get him back to the nearest piste he was whisked off by the pisteurs with an ACL diagnosed. Latest news after scan, strain not tear Happy

Today has been another cracking day and we drove round to La Grave and skied down from the top to P1 (guided etc by easiski). The snow was glorious but it was still pretty hard going but wonderful all the same. Got back to L2A about 3 but decided on a snack/beer rather than any more skiing.

A couple of shots from La Grave

ski holidays
Gosh, La Grave. I'll never be good enough to ski there. Stay safe, survivors!
ski holidays
Pedantica, You'd be fine, tiring though!
snow conditions
Claude B, yeah, the snow looks very lumpy in your top picture. That must be hard work to ski normally, let alone side-slip.
snow report
Pedantica, yes, you could do it, but it was very hard work - I didn't hurt myself in the least the times when i fell, but getting up is exhausting! Claude B was very good and skied behind me - I didn't want to be last down with everyone way below me. It was good knowing that he was there. Charlotte did say that the snow conditions were more difficult than they often are, but the weather was perfect, and the experience was great. Just not something I want to do again tomorrow - my knees are feeling it. Forecast for tomorrow is murky so I think we're going to be doing drills on piste, which will suit me well.
snow conditions
pam w, I totally sympathize and would have been exactly the same. Claude B has been kind enough to ski behind me in the past. He's very good with little old ladies! wink
snow report
Keep the reports coming. A pleasant daily read that makes a nice change from the market squabbles over franzclammer's technique.
snow report
Quote:

Keep the reports coming

Seconded, and best wishes to your injured friend.

Having my first ever visit to l2alp first week of March
snow conditions
Market squabbles? Should be narky squabbles.
ski holidays
Well, Claude B and welshskier are off up the mountain. I am going up later, just for our lesson, as my left knee, which has been problematical for 20 years, is swollen and stiff after yesterday's long off-piste session - no one incident, just the cumulative effect of difficult conditions, not skied well. Despite ice and ibuprofen it's a lot fatter than the other one, so I won't ask too much of it today.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, good call. I'm learning how to look after my knee the hard way. Sounds like a great trip so far.
snow report
Quote:

Sounds like a great trip so far

It's been very useful in a number of ways. Learning to ski off-piste, and to be able to take advantage of nice conditions when they present themselves, is ideal - as I am out in resort a lot and will have more confidence after this to do things like ski the steeper unpisted slopes after a nice overnight snowfall (there's plenty of non-avalanche threatened stuff off the piste, too). But I don't think my knees will cope with long days like yesterday - even if I learnt to ski the difficult snow better. I spent far too much time being thrown back onto my heels yesterday but my quads didn't feel it too much, and are 100% fine today. I can work on them, but the knees are another story.......
latest report
Just realised the average age of the five of us at La Grave must have been 60+ Madeye-Smiley One for the oldies.
latest report
welshskier, skis by Zimmer....
snow conditions
welshskier wrote:
Just realised the average age of the five of us at La Grave must have been 60+ Madeye-Smiley One for the oldies.
Very Happy
ski holidays
welshskier, dobby, Pedantica, One foot in La Grave? Toofy Grin
snow report
geepee, serious stuff
ski holidays
Quote:

the average age of the five of us at La Grave must have been 60+

yes, that puts it in perspective. And unlike a lot of the old but very good skiers who would breeze down the "tourist route" in La Grave, we were all (except Charlotte, obviously) very inexperienced in that sort of milieu - I'm sure there are plenty of people who do La Grave in their 60s and 70s but most of them will have started in their 20s.
ski holidays
Hi

With a 6 day L2A pass, what is the cost to ski at La Grave for a day?

Thanks
snow conditions
welshskier wrote:

Oh great Very Happy I look forward to seeing your version of the Flying Grannies! You have to make it Toofy Grin
ski holidays
geepee wrote:
welshskier, dobby, Pedantica, One foot in La Grave? Toofy Grin
GROAN Laughing
ski holidays
richk755, I think we paid €20. Apparently we should have done so in LDA but we didn't know and were able to do so in La Grave. I don't think the link is open from LDA and we drove round. It was certainly a great trip and well worth it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy