Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The new ski control / RaxSki

Poster: A snowHead
Since 2006 we have been developing a new ski for piste and freeride. Last Monday we found the way how to show the RaxSki in action. An invisible pole lets GOPRO camera shoot from all possible directions.

http://youtube.com/v/OEsbcwZnuyE

As our East Coast friend MaSkinut posted on TGR: "We sliced through some of the nastiest ice/crust I had seen all year and had fun doing it". Other Mags and Snowheads claimed: "The worse the conditions, the more you will like RaxSkis". "One can basically ski offpiste conditions most skiers would avoid on conventional skis".
Looks like that they were right!

RaxSki 2014 – it`s a new elegant model “Carver”.
A waisted and elastic ski with a direction control you can find on airplanes and glider boats.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 22-12-13 13:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hello Tom Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Your invisible pole for your Gopro casts a shadow wink

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 22-12-13 0:45; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Best vid of back seat skiing I've seen for ages. After 7 yrs isn't it time to stopping flogging a dead horse rolling eyes Now where's that ignore button when you need it?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
spyderjon, That plus button by the name!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I don't understand the concept.... What about the ski is beneficial over a regular ski? Also is this not just a video of a guy skiing in the crap at the side of a piste? Either stay on piste or go off piste..... Puzzled
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tom. Not a great video. But really glad to see you back. Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I don't understand the concept.... What about the ski is beneficial over a regular ski?

Yeah, tomb, just try to ride rough terrain like these chunks on regular ski! You will see the difference...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Tom. Not a great video. But really glad to see you back.

Thank you! What is "a great video" ? Riding over clips with the huge avalanche and still laughing. Supported by scores of assistents and two helis. Editing the film material to make the slope unrealistic?
Well, the difference is that this video shows the skiing everybody could perform. You and me and even you.
With the regular ski, we would have no chance.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tom. Just skiing an ordinary skier would WANT to do.

Just looks lame.

Show us some of your steeper stuff. Please.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Why not chop off the bit of the ski in front of the bindings, you are sitting so far back that you are not using it ?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
(Still) looks uncomfortable, weak, limited, and of very questionable value.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rjs wrote:
Why not chop off the bit of the ski in front of the bindings, you are sitting so far back that you are not using it ?

Would chopping off the front of the ski also make the posts fit the page without having to scroll across Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
saw someone in Obertauern last season on them.
to me the front bit of the ski does nothing, other than counterbalance the back seat heelie skiing.
I'm sure they're fun though. But so are big foot skis, which seem much the same but without a bit at the front that doesn't touch the snow.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
[/quote]
Well, the difference is that this video shows the skiing everybody could perform. You and me and even you.
With the regular ski, we would have no chance.[/quote]

Honestly, I ski better than that.

Would have loved to see some steeper terrain with finished turns.....wondering how speed control is maintained, or did I miss that?
ski holidays
skinanny, he has posted different vids before and annually for the last few years. Still doesn't help me see the point though.
ski holidays
Tom from Austria wrote:
.... this video shows the skiing everybody could perform. You and me and even you.
With the regular ski, we would have no chance.

You perhaps, I prefer to not look like a doilum. Skullie
ski holidays
Bright side chaps: if this thing takes off, your pal with the blades wont look like the biggest twit on the mountain any more.
snow report
Quote:

Honestly, I ski better than that.
Would have loved to see some steeper terrain with finished turns.....wondering how speed control is maintained, or did I miss that?

Would like to see you riding these chunks, ha ha

Speed control? It´s like carving: you do not brake but turn. The tighter the turn the heavier deceleration.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 22-12-13 19:04; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Those ski pants started off white. And rear entry boots - nice.
snow conditions
Bode Swiller, There are plenty who mourn the passing of rear entry boots . . . I can see how this works and understand the braking and stability created by them . . .
What I can't see, is any other reason to buy them other than to find and play in the worst possible conditions you could imagine. Beyond that, they're just a daft toy Confused
snow conditions
Have you ever thought about attaching them to a sinclair C5? There has got to be a market for something like that.
ski holidays
Why on earth would you want to use these....they are totally pointless why take something that works and make it crap. Confused
snow conditions
meandrew wrote:
.....why take something that works and make it crap. Confused

Same reason Tom has taken something crap, and tried to make it work! Totally pointless.
latest report
Tom from Austria, so do you have video of a decent speed control turn? The videos posted in this thread so far do not show speed control, and the still pic isn't of the speed control part of the turn, either.
Comparison video of the same person skiing the same terrain but on a more traditional ski would help.

I'm waiting to be convinced.
snow report
meandrew wrote:
Why on earth would you want to use these....they are totally pointless why take something that works and make it crap. Confused

Yeah, meandrew, the very principle of any progress is that people take something that works, cast it off and start using something that works better.
Any questions ?
ski holidays
Bode Swiller wrote:
Those ski pants started off white. And rear entry boots - nice.

It is even much worse, Bode! There is a hidden hole in those pants. So the whole ski invention is absolutely pointless.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sun 22-12-13 19:05; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Tom from Austria, I admire your tenacity, and agree progress is made by creative people making leaps, sometimes into the dark. You have made progress, the wings, making the blades less dangerous to others, and the graphics. If you want to convince
me and others here I suggest take some Rax to a snowhead bash and get people on them, I must admit I am still sceptical.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tom from Austria, isn't this basically the same as Figln?!

For everyone who doesn't know what that is (so probably everyone lol):

http://youtube.com/v/ECWtklfopLI

http://youtube.com/v/YT7Y3bDXrpw

Basically just banter at the extreme end of the season when the snow at Nordkette gets trashed (it's all totally south-facing), though in the first video above it's still fine for skiing.

Can actually be pretty fun when combined with plenty of beer and jaeger...
snow conditions
clarky999, never heard of it, but it's similarity to the Rax idea is astonishing!
snow conditions
jbob wrote:
... I suggest take some Rax to a snowhead bash and get people on them, I must admit I am still sceptical.

In 2009 one of the Snowheads, DB, tested the first primitive RaxSkis and reported on snowheads and TGR:
"...it was on the steeps where the Rax skis really came into their own so it was off to the black slope although it was more brown and bumpy in places. Tom explained that straight down the fall line & short turns were what was needed. On normal skis it's something that only a much better bump skier than I would manage but on the Rax ski it was possible....
the Rax skis were quicker down to the bottom of a steep hill in mushy bumpy snow...."

Since 2010 there is a possibility to test RaxSkis in Scottland
http://www.aviemoreski.co.uk/index.asp?pageid=287110
ski holidays

Some of Stanton's old Rax clogs.
latest report
It's skiing Jim, but not as we know it!
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
Tom from Austria, isn't this basically the same as Figln?!

Well, it is not the same /Figln got neither rear fins nor lateral fins/-
But I was riding Figln in the nineties and they definitely became the main source for our development.
So you can consider RaxSki a grand child of Figl.

It was nearly a custom in Tyrol to cut off long ski at the end of winter.
In fact, the Tyroler were smarter than all ski experts together. For normal skis were (and still are) simply not suited
for riding dowm steep and evtl. narrow couloirs. Figln typically run in the fall line as they are rather unable to traverse hard walls.
latest report
Since every ski run is a race, and they go faster, I think I might take my snowblades to the birthday bash, and get in some strava runs. But I bet those metal fin bits make them go faster. Back seat heel skiing is certainly something I'm (or was) a moderate expert at.

Wink

That figln down a channel looks a laugh though. As much as us tumbling down waist deep powder in bigfoot skis (which are 100mm or something underfoot).
latest report
andy wrote:
...I might take my snowblades t... But I bet those metal fin bits make them go faster. ... tumbling down waist deep powder in bigfoot skis ...

Sorry Andy, metal fins mounted on a 1m snowblade will not make it faster! Just more stable in a driving direction. Rear fins stabilize the ski.
Unlike with big-foot and anowblade, you can afford to ride lines in the fall-line - very safely.
Now, if you really want to ski very fast, take a 1,50 or 1,90m RaxSki with very aerodynamic narrow rear fins, position in the ski axis only.
There is no better stabilisation in the ski-world.
snow conditions
Tom from Austria, I still think that these could be great for fully stiffened mountaineering boots, a much easier way to descend snow slopes than plodding down them. And fairly light to strap to a pack.
snow report
skinanny wrote:
Tom from Austria, so do you have video of a decent speed control turn? ...

I'm waiting to be convinced.

Ok, let us try this one

http://youtube.com/v/aeP1mbYAIRY

Rax skis dancing. Yeah, you can ski Rax without any leaning back. In fact, lifting the ski tips/ leaning back is just needed for very fast turns or for steep couloirs and rough snow.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 22-12-13 21:50; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Avalanche Poodle wrote:
Tom from Austria, I still think that these could be great for fully stiffened mountaineering boots, a much easier way to descend snow slopes than plodding down them. And fairly light to strap to a pack.

You are right, Avalanche P.
You just need a simple non-releasable binding for your fully stiffened mountaineering boots.

By the way this ski is our very new model "Joker with wings". These wings are not casted like all others but cut by water jet stream (!) and bent. As a consequence, we cannot mount normal releasable binding on these wings. That is why the complete ski is our lightest RaxSki.

Some testers claim that this is the best Rax of all times. Both for groomers and steep couloirs.
I can just say that most people prefer longer skis and think they badly need a secure binding. The customer is the king, isn`t he?
snow conditions
Tom from Austria wrote:
Yeah, meandrew, the very principle of any progress is that people take something that works, cast it off and start using something that works better.
Any questions ?

Any questions? Yes. How can you quantifiably state it works better?

Tom from Austria wrote:
The customer is the king, isn`t he?

And the customer here is universally telling you "that looks inane and pointless". There's a hint there...

Dragons' Den: I'm out.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy