Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

THEY THINK IT'S ALL OVER! Unofficial SCGB/snowHeads/JWAZ/Dusk Chorus fringe Christmas event

Poster: A snowHead
Just in case you didn't know, the New Ski Club of Great Britain Chat Forum ... in association with the Jef Wickes Wintersports Abuse Zone and Dusk Chorus ... is proud to denounce ...

The New Ski Club of Great Britain Chat Forum
FIRST BIRTHDAY & CHRISTMAS CHAT 'FORTUM'

Toast the success of the NSCGBC Forum,
while filling your tum with good pub grub and ale. Yum!

Wednesday 18 December 6pm onwards
YE OLDE CHESHIRE CHEESE

145 Fleet Street, London, EC4A 2BU

A fine and atmospheric hostelry in an alleyway, built one year (1667) after the Great Fire of London.
A great place for a chat, since - for two centuries or more - the pub 'hydrated' Fleet Street's best (and worst) hacks, 'til they relocated to glass towers filled with computers and phone-hacking experts. Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese is run by Sam Smith's, has roaring fireplaces, richly historical rooms and is just around the corner from Sam Johnson's house in Gough Square: home of the founder of the English Dictionary.

This is a non-organised event. Just meet, eat, drink and be merry ... Christmas!
The earlier you get there, the better the chance of a seat at a table and a snowHeads party hat (if admin wishes to produce them!)
Food can just be ordered from the bar.

More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ye_Olde_Cheshire_Cheese
And a big thumbs-up from SipAdvisor: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g186338-d559646-Reviews-Ye_Olde_Cheshire_Cheese-London_England.html

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 19-12-13 9:44; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't know about the clientele that particular evening, but the pub is a great gaff (and incredibly good value considering where it is!).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The New Ski Club of Great Britain? Another splinter group? I can't keep up.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jude1 wrote:
I can't keep up.
Have U considered longer skis? Wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jude1 wrote:
The New Ski Club of Great Britain? Another splinter group? I can't keep up.

The expression was invented by Gotoma86, who is an infrequent contributor to snowHeads. He/she came up with the 'New Ski Club of Great Britain' on 18 December 2012 - hence the first birthday on 18 December 2013.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=94856

Gotoma86 is welcome to join the celebration, and to bring along some 'Respect the Mountain of Unsold Wristbands'. I don't have one, though they've apparently become a cult retro item. It would be great if everyone could leave the event with a souvenir green wristband in their party bag.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 11-12-13 12:04; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You might need 3 or 4.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That should not be a problem. I understand that c.30,000 are available to Santa.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
By special arrangement, the unofficial snowHeads/New Ski Club of Great Britain/JWAZ/Dusk Chorus event next Wednesday is now extended to members of the Aviemore-based WTF Ski Club.

If you're a member of all five governing bodies you get a free umbrella in your drink. See you at Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese, sliders!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese Fondue is expecting you!

May the festivities commence. Merry Christmas to those who can't make it.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I wonder if anyone went.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bode Swiller, not me. I'm in the bath Toofy Grin

With a dicky tum. Or else I would have gone. Obvs.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bode Swiller wrote:
I wonder if anyone went.

Nobody here, a couple of weirdos in macs in the corner, journos I guess.

Look like perverts/ weirdos. So possible.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
Bode Swiller, not me. I'm in the bath Toofy Grin

Do you have Skype ?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Filthyphil30k wrote:
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
Bode Swiller, not me. I'm in the bath with a dicky tum Toofy Grin

Do you have Skype ?

no, It hink its just a tummy bug Toofy Grin Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Shimmy Alcott, Toofy Grin
snow report
Should have been held in the Doo Below Aviemore! Toofy Grin
latest report
Filthyphil30k wrote:
Bode Swiller wrote:
I wonder if anyone went.

Nobody here, a couple of weirdos in macs in the corner, journos I guess.

Look like perverts/ weirdos. So possible.

The place was, in fact, absolutely rammed. I was there, as were hundreds of others, in every nook and cranny of the place. It's a labyrinth of rooms - on either side and the back of the ground floor, the upper floor ... and the maze of bars in the cellar.

As for who was there ... we'll probably never know. This - as described - was a non-organised event (of anonymous people who fuck about on the internet).

I was there, as was my friend Codename (who is not member of sH, WTF, SCGB, NSCGB or JWAZ). Codename was a one-time colleague of mine - a graphic designer who spent 20 years preparing some of the best British ski magazines ever printed.

I spent the best part of the first 90 minutes holding up a copy of a ski magazine on the main passageway, greeting those arriving. The mag (1992 Ski Survey) had a bright red SKI logo and spectacular action shot.

Codename and I enjoyed great food - a steak and kidney pud for him, and a mushroom stroganoff for me. Delicious, along with very good Sam Smith ales. We rounded off the evening with a ride on a No.11 'Boris bus' - the superb new 'Routemaster' with three entry points and two stairways, designed by Thomas Heatherwick (who also designed the London Olympic cauldron and is designing the new 'Garden Bridge' over the Thames).

That is all.

Next 18 December (2014): the 2nd anniversary of NSCGB chat forum will be marked by a very different (organised) event, which may be of great significance. Watch this space, and follow the ongoing thread. Merry Christmas, one and all.
latest report
Winterhighland wrote:
Should have been held in the Doo Below Aviemore! Toofy Grin

My understanding is that it happens every night in the Doo Below!
ski holidays
Maybe people would've found you if you'd have worn a transceiver.
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways, Laughing
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Maybe people would've found you if you'd have worn a transceiver.
Or a bit of red tape.
snow report
Comedy Goldsmith, my mistake , I was in Ye Olde Cock tavern, I can't think why I thought it was there? I would have been looking for a man in leather ski boots and a wooly jumper anyway.

All in all would you declare your evening a success?

As you know Dunbar road is where grouty lives.
ski holidays
I always picture DG as looking a bit like Catweazle, but in a jumper and corderoy slacks.
snow report
Filthyphil30k wrote:

All in all would you declare your evening a success?

It was billed as a "non-organised" event ... as was the Great Fire of London (we assume) (see opening post). In that sense it was also a 'themed event'.
I'm simply declaring that the evening showed a complete lack of organisation. Whether that constitutes "a success" is not for me to judge.
snow conditions
Ah - something you're prepared NOT to sit in judgement of - what a surprise Skullie
latest report
Scrumpy, OK, it wasn't a success because you weren't there (or were you?)
snow report
No, I was in W1 at a cocktail party.
ski holidays
Filthyphil30k wrote:
As you know Dunbar road is where grouty lives.

It's an address identified (in the past) by a current SCGB director as place of abode. That doesn't explain why you're identifying your location as that person's. Over the past 12 years or so there have been various concerns about the content and nature of communications apparently originating from that address, so your drawing attention to it seems a bit peculiar. What is your point?

Companies House, in the past, required directors to identify their home addresses. Now, as I understand it, this is optional. In the main, in recent years, SCGB directors have opted (or the office has opted) to have their addresses recorded as "57 Church Road, Wimbledon". That's OK, but it would be better if they were directly contactable, without the office having to forward mail etc.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
I spent the best part of the first 90 minutes holding up a copy of a ski magazine on the main passageway, greeting those arriving. The mag (1992 Ski Survey) had a bright red SKI logo and spectacular action shot.

Codename and I enjoyed great food - a steak and kidney pud for him, and a mushroom stroganoff for me. Delicious, along with very good Sam Smith ales. We rounded off the evening with a ride on a No.11 'Boris bus' - the superb new 'Routemaster' with three entry points and two stairways, designed by Thomas Heatherwick (who also designed the London Olympic cauldron and is designing the new 'Garden Bridge' over the Thames).

That is all.

What was the reaction of customers to a friendly man holding up a twenty year old magazine?

Sam Smiths pubs in London are mostly excellent places and the ale is cheap - though not to my taste.

You must have walked some distance to board a number 11. It does not run along Fleet Street.
latest report

George Jones: "... number 11 ... does not run along Fleet Street."

Maybe it was a UBO, or Unidentified Bus Object.

TFL (right) are clearly wrong.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy