Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Braehead snowdome makes helmets compulsory

Poster: A snowHead
We live in a world where people go mountain-biking in woods, hurt themselves, and their families sue the owners of the woods, where people ski into closed areas, hurt themselves and sue the Ski resort.

Col the Yeti, The time may come when that all comes to pass. The thing that will force it will be insurance costs - either on resorts, or on skiers not wearing lids. That's a shame, but as we know more of the benefits of safety equipment, things like this will change. That's the power of information.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
From what I have been told, there reason Breahead have introduced an "everyone must where a helmet" policy is down to ice.

Ice forms overnight on the overhead equipment, and then during the day as it warms up a little, it has been falling off. I don't know whether anyone has actually been hit by falling ice, but requiring everyone* out of the slope to have a helmet seems to be the slope's response.

*And I mean everyone: the above info came from an official at one of the races, they were required to wear a helmet at all times whilst out on the slope - including those on foot.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 21-11-13 23:41; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
RobW, ah, that makes sense!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Isn't it a pity that a certain someone didn't do a certain amount of research before slinging around their accusations.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Megamum, NOOOO....

the ice must be formed by the actions of a secret clique of helmet-sales-reps intent on selling their spirit damaging product, who infiltrate at night and do their dastardly deed.

Toofy Grin

Robw - thanks - that makes sense

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 21-11-13 19:09; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stoat of the dead, Of course - smacks hand on forehead in realisation - how silly of me not to realise that. It explains the sudden rise in sales of hoses and water sprayers in Braehead since the summer - local store holders just thought it was the sunny weather this year when in reality it was the dreaded helmet sales reps loading the ice up. Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I expect by tomorrow a comprehensive response in this thread from all the relevant authorities about this nefarious capitalist plot because in these times of global warming and drought we can't afford to be wasting water on this ICE nonsense or our precious pounds sterling on all these foreign-inspired 'skiing helmets'.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
will see on Saturday... normally wear one outside never have inside.... have been sent to get my gloves once which i locked in the none refundable locker....
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just read through this thread. The reason for the helmet policy is simply that it led to a reduction in insurance premiums. Hemel operate a similar policy for the same reason. The ice overhead is a myth. It's for the owners monetary gain.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

It's for the owners monetary gain.

tut tut. Businesses who try to improve their profitability? Whatever next? Shocked Shocked Shocked
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

It's for the owners monetary gain.

tut tut. Businesses who try to improve their profitability? Whatever next? Shocked Shocked Shocked

You seem to have jumped much deeper into my reply than is necessary. I'm not questioning business tactics, just giving the straight answer. I've heard so much nonsense over the helmet policy and why it was introduced it was worth pointing out the simplicity of his decision - clear enough?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skison wrote:
Hemel operate a similar policy for the same reason.
How much was the reduction in insurance premiums?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Anyone else thinks it funny that "Barehead" snowdome is making helmets compulsory?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Haggis_Trap wrote:
^ Take your own as the rental ones are mingin.

+1
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Here's another one for the helmet debate.

Research now shows that even a mild concussion has effects on the brain that can last months such that sometimes persistent symptoms are thought to be psychological when, in fact, it could be part of an ongoing brain injury.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/269105.php
snow report
feef, I'm sure there's a lot in that. Obvious conclusion is that you don't want to be hitting your head with or without a helmet. And, unfortunately, you never hear the helmet industry talking about ways to minimise the risk. They enjoy the state of fear they've helped create.

skison, the incidence of head injuries in snowdomes must be miniscule and there are many things higher up the list that could give rise to a liability claim. I just can't see that making the move to compulsory helmets would change the PL premium in any significant way, if at all. Mind you, I'm not sure I buy the falling ice story either - if it were a real threat you'd have to consider what happens if people look up at the ceiling just as a shard is plummeting eyewards.
latest report
Bode Swiller wrote:
feef, I'm sure there's a lot in that. Obvious conclusion is that you don't want to be hitting your head with or without a helmet. And, unfortunately, you never hear the helmet industry talking about ways to minimise the risk. They enjoy the state of fear they've helped create.

The question that does need asked is, tho... Would a concussion WITHOUT a helmet be a non-concussion WITH a helmet?
snow report
So the OP doesn't use a helmet, and now the conversation shifts to longer term concussion................................
ski holidays
feef wrote:
Bode Swiller wrote:

The question that does need asked is, tho... Would a concussion WITHOUT a helmet be a non-concussion WITH a helmet?

Quite possibly. And, conversely, would a non-helmeted concussion mean you get medical treatment, whereas the "less serious" helmeted concussion mean you walk away not knowing you have a brain injury?
snow conditions
Bode Swiller wrote:
feef wrote:
Bode Swiller wrote:

Quite possibly. And, conversely, would a non-helmeted concussion mean you get medical treatment, whereas the "less serious" helmeted concussion mean you walk away not knowing you have a brain injury?

Just as you would with a non-helmeted "less serious" concussion. imho, wearing a helmet just moves the scale.
ski holidays
feef, you might get run over by a bus while crossing the road to the helmet shop.
ski holidays
I am required to wear a helmet while in uniform. I mostly wear a helmet when I'm not, too. One experience of a friend of mine is telling: he was injured while teaching a class when an out-of-control snowboarder collided with him. Said snowboarder was wearing a helmet. My friend wasn't. He went down like a sack of potatoes! Another friend nearly had his forehead skewered by a tree branch at Cooper (not Copper) and now wears a helmet every day. It's not only about brain injuries, but they do factor into it.

That said, I don't understand the restriction. Then again, I'm big on personal responsibility, and am aware that such an attitude is becoming more and more rare.
latest report

As has been said they're a private company, it's up to them to decide on entry/usage requirements, they don't really have to justify them. They could say no Blue Jackets or only skis over 190cm allowed. Is it really any different to a bar saying no entry with trainers or this sign?
snow conditions
I didn't know the Vatican had a snowdome. That's very interesting.
latest report
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
I didn't know the Vatican had a snowdome. That's very interesting.

Well it certainly has a dome.... wink
ski holidays
Alastair Pink, Catholic Church not very keen on protection though.
snow conditions
I don't have a problem with Braehead insisting that helmets must be worn, though if does seem a bit extreme. I had gone there for the Blues Skishop test a few weeks back, and had decided not to bother with the lid as I don't feel the risk of a head injury is that significant skiing indoors, with few unpredictable hazards on soft snow. However, whe skiing on open terrain, with lots of varied uncontrolled hazards, I have chosen to wear a helmet for the last 5+ years.
I'll now quietly admit that my day job is a Health & Safety Officer Shocked
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy