Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Two boarders, one skier, Jan 2014, somewhere similar to Sauze d'Oulx?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

After suggestions on this forum last year, myself (Intermediate Skier) and a friend (Intermediate Boarder) went to Sauze d'Oulx in January with Inghams and had a fantastic time.

We are now planning our January 2014 trip, with the addition of at least one more friend who's a beginner snowboarder (he will be having lessons at the Snowdome in December).

We are looking to book for around mid January, when would the best deals be available?

Our requirements are as follows:

- Flights, half board accommodation and transfers to total no more than £700 per person
- Enough slopes to keep us entertained for the week, no less than Sauze d'Oulx (Via Lattea) 300-350km
- Alps prefered over Pyrenees
- Good nightlife, not looking for a snowy version of Ibiza, just something going on in the evenings
- Sensible food and beer prices NehNeh

Prior to our trip to Sauze d'Oulx we found out that the resorts snowfall can be hit and miss, we were lucky and it snowed three times during the week, but I'd prefer a resort that had reliable snow fall!

Thanks

George

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 26-12-13 12:39; edited 4 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've been to Sauze d'Oulx a couple of times on boys trips and had a good time, but better has been Mayrhofen, St Anton and Ischgl.

Great ski areas, lots of chalenging terrain and great apri, dont book till a week or so before hand and you can pick up a great deal for £400 to £450.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Jimbo, I wasn't sure whether to book now/December or leave it until Jan.

So you preferred Mayrhofen, St Anton and Ischgl to Sauze? And why?

I would love to go to St Anton but it's so much more expensive than everywhere else
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bigger areas, more varied and challenging terrain, better lift systems, I prefer the village layouts, better bars and apri atmosphere.

Now also the two years that I went to SD the snow was not great, now I know that that should not be used to compare as any resort can have a poor week, but given that happened to us twice is is a real factor for me.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Saalbach! Fast lifts, great ski area, great apres, not massively expensive.

Would also recommend St Anton and Mayrhofen, although St Anton isn't cheap.

I'd love to go to Ischgl but hotel prices seem extortionate.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm trying to find a website I used last year that compared resorts, gave you total KM of runs and resort/peak altitude, any ideas?

Also please keep the resort suggestions coming Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bump, more suggestions please Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
3 words for a perfect holiday - Ischgl, Alpenrose, SCHATZI. Simples snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the recommendation, but that page says Ischgl isn't ideal for beginners which wouldn't be good for my friend who's only had 3 hours snowboard experience.

We really liked Sauze especially because of the varied amount of runs, especially reds, and the option of going off piste through the trees but we need somewhere with good blues and greens for my other mate.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ischgl is fine for beginners. There's a big nursery area up the mountain at Idalp and lots of long easy blue runs. The reasons WTSS says "not ideal" are because there is no beginner only lift pass so you have to pay full price for the whole area ticket, plus the valley runs are steep, very busy and often icy, but they are easily avoided by taking one of the gondolas down at the end of the day.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
George 3G, Ischgl is perfectly fine fo beginners! It would be more expensive than Sauze, but IMO it is much better!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mayrhofen
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
More suggestions please! Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
How about La Plagne? It's snowing as I type!

We've got availability 5th - 12th Jan for £299pp and 12th - 19th Jan for £399 per person - no single supplements. Flights and transfers aren't included but you should easily be able to get them in your budget.

Details via the link below . . .
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Only 25% of runs are red at La Plagne Sad
latest report
Don't worry - there would be plenty of runs for you to ski on. The Paradiski area is massive with 425km of piste between La Plagne and Les Arcs!
ski holidays
And the piste grading is pretty arbitrary in La Plagne imho. It's a great resort for intermediates. Some of the blues are quite similar to Italian reds.
ski holidays
George. I am in a group of 3 looking to go out Sunday 5th to Sauze and have been before a few years back and loved it. The deals aren't great but I have been looking and have some ideas if you want to message me.
ski holidays
Hi Stuart, we went to Sauze in January and even though we had an awesome time, we are looking for somewhere new.

The conditions do look great over there at the moment too!
ski holidays
George 3G wrote:
I'm trying to find a website I used last year that compared resorts, gave you total KM of runs and resort/peak altitude, any ideas?

Also please keep the resort suggestions coming Very Happy

sounds like www.j2ski.com??
latest report
www.wtss.co.uk can be pretty useful.
snow report
Thanks for the website suggestions above!

So far, my shortlist contains the follow resorts:

Cervinia
Zermatt
St Anton
Lech
Mayrhofen - Short runs?
Ischgl
La Plagne - Paradiski
La Thuile
Serre chevalier
Cortina d’Ampezzo
Sansicario
Val Thorens
Chamonix

If anyone has been to any of the resorts above, can you give me pros or cons regarding my criteria in the opening thread please

Thanks!
snow conditions
Did you not already ski Sansicario when you were in Sauze?
ski holidays
Well spotted! That was my back up plan if we couldn't decide on anywhere new.
snow conditions
Bump Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy