Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes - winter 2005-06

Poster: A snowHead
Is much coming down????

pics please Charlotte.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I see that snow-forecast has temps at -29 with a wind-chill of -42 on Saturday afternoon. I don't think I've seen temps so cold before. Don't forget your jacket if you go up on Saturday then easiski - definitely not a bikini day. Shocked
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just been out and we've got abut 5cms on the nursery slopes in the village, and for the first time there was a piste machine working. The cannons are going full blast, and it's clear higher up. The 3,200m webcam on the TO website is now working (although static) and so is the webcam in the village. www.les2alpes.com . It's stopped snowing at the moment and the sun's trying to burn off the mist, but the cannons are just creating more!

I've put a whole load of new pix on the website at www.easiski.com/Snow_Diary.htm . I hope the predicted temps are wrong - that seems too cold for words!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
easiski,

Looks great, is the opening still the 26th..?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wow, brilliant pics.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
easiski,

No We Are Talking!!! you lucky sod!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Heavy snow in the night, and about 10cms+ just outside, here's a couple of pix to whet your appetites! snowHead I'll go out later and take more. It looks good for the opening tomorrow - hmmmmmmm Puzzled Scratch or rock hoppers???? Puzzled Still snowing BTW

It's funny how happy we all are to see it white, by the springtime we're all desparate to see it green!rolling eyes

latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It cleared a bit this afternoon. New pix on the website at www.easiski.com/Snow_Diary.htm snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
easiski, have a great opening day tomorrow.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
any idea how much they are opening? Considering a pre-Xmas trip, no flights or anything booked at the moment Wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gregh, Just about to go up - will do new report when I get back. Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
gregh, Officially only the glacier open. Good snow up there, but cold! My fingers nearly froze off taking just 2 photos! Crying or Very sad

HOWEVER............... I did manage to ski all the way to the town. I wasn't the first one sadly, and the snow on the Valentin was extraordinarily variable - from unskiable (kick turns & fell over on traverse) to some turns in super powder. Very Happy When I've had a rest, coffe and fag I'll download my pix for your perusal!!! Cool

Full story to come as well including, if it comes out a pic of the bases of my skis - good job I took the rock hoppers. Shocked
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The Full story (now I've recovered!)

Only 2 of the nursery slopes were running today, but looking good. No lifts to the Cretes, so up in the jandri Express, keeping a keen eye out for the possibilities of descent. It looked possible, but as the snow that fell was very light I expected to do major damage to my rock hoppers. The glacier was open all over, snow was good and the sun was out. It was cold though.

I did one run on the glacier and then started to make my way down. Don't try this at home! the Jandri run down to 2,600 is officially closed, but lots were ski-ing it. It looked nice, but the rocks are only just below the cover. High up much of the fresh snow is very heavy windcrust due to high winds last night. The bit just before the newly widened Goulet de Lac Noir had super powder on it, as did the Goulet itself. Unfortunately I could hear the rocks every turn! At the moment the gullies across the pistes are also presenting an interesting ski-ing challenge. Shocked They're deeper than they look.

Having arrived at 2,600 in company with a few French, I decided to go for broke and try the whole mountain. I took the path in the Goulet du Grand Nord and the easy options throughout - having to resort to a wide plough and steered plough turns in several places. Laughing Sadly I wasn't the first on this great and exiting "new route". Sad

The Cretes was much like ski-ing Box hill, and the path to the top of the Valentin presented a number of humps and holes to negotiate. However the top of the Valentin was fine, but in the middle the bl**dy thing was completely unskiable. I fell twice (once on a traverse) and had to resort to kick turns!!!

The last third was not too bad though, and I managed about 6 turns in nice powder. Very Happy . However getting onto the top of the Champamé nursery slope was stil a bit exciting, but the last few turns were only spoilt by lack of speed.

Another 20-50 cms,should see the piste machines able to work, and as soon as they do we should have almost everything open. For the moment though, it's adventure ski-ing! Very Happy Very Happy

Moer snow forecast for this week sooooooo .................. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sorry, forgot to say the photos are now up on www.easiski.com/Snow_Diary.htm Embarassed
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Charlotte - am I missing something on your snow diary or are the pictures not enlargeable? I really want to see some of those pics a bit closer up!
snow report
carled, No, sorry, they're not enlargeable. I don't know how to do that!
snow report
easiski, kick turns ?

I dont suppose I'll ever need to know but what are they.

Started watching the Warren Smith Ski Academy DVD - carving, steeps, moguls and freeride. I didnt get passed carving - for obvious reasons ! rolling eyes
ski holidays
Paul Mason, I'll show you at the EOSB! Basically it's a way to turn around without moving forward. Not good for the knees, and not often taught these days. Looking at the tracks left up there NO-ONE managed a regular turn - and we're not talking about holiday skiers trying it either!!!
ski holidays
Paul Mason, stand stationary with skis across the slope, admire the view - it may be your last chance. Place both poles uphill. lift downhill ski and place the tail in the snow up near the tip of the uphill ski. Now the eye-watering bit : swing the tip of the (now vertical) downhill ski around, down and back so it's tip is now near the tail of the uphill ski !
You now have to simply pick up the uphill ski, turn and place it ready to ski off on the new tack !.
Things that can go wrong : lots - Skis tangle in your poles. Fall over. Damage knee(s). Fall over. Shout rude words. Eyes watering etc.
Looks great when done well though snowHead
ski holidays
lampbus, good description of the beast. Rarely seen these days but can come in handy when you need to point 180 degrees away from where you are facing (like when you've just about rammed a big snowbank) and on steep / dodgy sections where any other turn is equally dangerous and likely to fail. Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
It's started snowing very heavily again now. Straight down in resort, and about 2cms fell in less than 1 hour. 5cms have appeared on my car this afternoon. Of course you can't see anything because of it ... Very Happy The snow is forecast to continue tonight and maybe a bit tomorrow as well with good weather on thurs and Fri before a return to snow!! This is really good stuff. Cool snowHead

ps: No point in taking photos at the moment. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
easiski, that's great news Very Happy
ski holidays
We had about 20cms in the end over the last 18 hours. It's more or less stopped now, and we expect reasonable weather until Friday/Saturday. I'll go out and take pix later, but this is a vey promising start.
Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
easiski, how does the start compare to recent years then. i have heard that we it was struggling this year but all the recent snow must be good.
snow report
I never knew that those were called kick turns. I've been doing them for years as well. Embarassed
snow conditions
benpudney, I think it's pretty good. I've known more snow earlier, but as it was so warm for so long this autumn, I'm very encouraged. However - anything can happen. Keep your fingers crossed guys. Here's a pic and more can be found on www.easiski.com/Snow_Diary.htm
snow conditions
hi Charlotte,

keep them pics coming! There is some info here on how to post the thumbnails but to make them clickable to people can see the bigger pics if they choose.

http://www.users.csbsju.edu/~eknuth/obcomp/thumb.html

regards,

Greg
snow report
gregh, thanks for that. I'd actually worked that one out, but assumed there was some much more clever way of doing it. Problem is time, you could always save and do it yourself. If I have time I'll do it though.

ps: it's only a cheap camcorder that does stills - the quality isn't that good!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There are different ways to do it, what application are you using to create the pages?

If I (We) download the jpeg you've posted, it's still the "small" one, it's a higher res one that somone requested further back.....
snow conditions
Been watching this thread for the last 2 weeks or so - looks great - I will be there 12th December pm until 15th am for 2 full days. Can't wait to try L2A out after spending a whole week there last winter and not skiing due to a very badly broken arm ( You don't need to ask, but sustained in Dec 04 in Val Thorens!). Lets hope the base stays.

Kevin
snow report
KevHead, welcome to snowHeads. Better luck this time round, eh?
ski holidays
KevHead, Be sure to give me a bell and say hello -my number's in the Tourist Office!

gregh, The pics come out at 300dpi. I could do it fine - I use Dreamweaver. It just seems like such a hassle - loads to do before first clients comein on Sat!!!
snow report
fair point, earning money vs mucking around on the PC for some sad Snowheads stuck in the UK, I know what I'd choose!!!
latest report
gregh, Accounts, brochures to print and distribute, DIY to finish, skis to repair, skis to sell, PC to sell, photos to take for Snowheads ................... Oh I forgot rest before 5 months non-stop!!! Last year I had 4 days off between Xmas & Easter - and that only means days off from skis!

However I do take your point about the clickables, and will try to do that in future. Very Happy Very Happy

Great day today. Sunny and blue skies. REturn to snow forecast for Saturday. I won't have time to go up till the weekend, but will take photos then.

In the meantime folks - all the webcams are working on the lift company website (also linked to Tourist Office website). DAL = www.2alpes.com LDA = www.les2alpes.com

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Hi there...

Just one more day to go.. Hope the roads will be cleared 'cause we are arriving on saturday..

BTW, do you know if there is any place in LDA where I can get wireless internet connection for a reasonable price? I'm a freelance graphic designer and I'm afraid I'll have to bring some work with me ... I need a place where I can email my work, and as I'll have my laptop, I just wondered if there'd be anywhere where I could get connected...

Thanks for all the pictures and info... I just can't wait to check the place by myself...
snow conditions
playscope, there are several bars with wifi next to their own PCs. Smokey Joe's is a good bet if they've sorted their stuff out by then (big expansion just happened). The Valentin has been pisted today and also the Cretes and Toura areas. It looks as if they may open almost everything next weekend - I hope so. there are still a fair few rocks around between 3,200 and 2,400 according to friends, but it's all skiable -just don't use your best skis at the moment. More info when I have it. be sure to give me a ring and meet up - it's really fun meeting other Snowheads!!
latest report
Thanks Charlotte, I will remember to seek you out for a beer between 12th and 15th.

Kevin
snow report
Helluva storm today. It is snowing but the winds are monstrous. I hope it's not all blowing away high up! Shock . Can someone please tell the wind to stop and the snow to start falling down vertically? Little Angel It's like a bad day on Cairngorm. Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
Well, we had very heavy snow last night, so here are 3 pix of this morning. I'll be up the mountain tomorrow so will try to take more then.

Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
nice snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy