Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2013/2014

Poster: A snowHead
Chatel Snow, thanks for posting such informative reports, looking forward to the season (better get on that X-trainer Embarassed ) snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Very varied snow conditions found on the mountain today....

Hiked up to the top of Rochassons chairlift at 1900m, from the bottom of Pre-La-Joux at 1300m and found flat light, strong winds and an interesting mix of snow conditions. Cover is good on the top half of the mountain, but still thin lower down, so whether this sector opens on the 30th November or not, remains to be see. Low temps expected the next couple of days - so potential for lots more man made snow to be made.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Juddernaut, MeMyselfandI, personally I am far more interested in what the locals predict than the Met Office. Those muppets frequently don't even know what the weather in Britain is like today. Obviously there are no windows in their offices Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chatel Snow, agree with you about opening. Apparently Avoriaz had a meeting on Thurs/Fri about opening on 30th and have decided not to. Forecast for this week is cold but possible showers (and only showers) at the weekend. Need another good 30cm+ before 15th for the lower slopes.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snowandtrek - yep it must be in doubt here, especially if Avoriaz are not going to open. There are various scenarios for the snowfall potential for Friday night and the forecast is likely to change for it this week (for the better or worse!) - so fingers crossed, but yes, a proper dump is needed lower down.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Val D'Illiez predicting snow on Wednesday and IME they are rarely wrong. Snow-Forecast are already up to their usual trick of always forecasting a metre of snow in five days' time, and revising it down radically as the day approaches.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sanman, What is the Val d'illiez forecast you look at? I know it's over the hill for us but it's pretty close.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DJL, www.valdilliez.ch

They are foreceasting precipitation and -3 on Wednesday, which I read as snow showers.

Some good webcams on there as well although some of them are not yet up and running for the season.

Cheers Tim

PS this year we are there w/c Jan 5th, and from 20 - 23 March, do you overlap with any of these? We're also out for a weekend in late Jan but I can't remember exactly when
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sanman, Thanks - you can't get too many wether forecasts!

Out for Christmas and New Year but heading home on 4th or 5th Jan, then probably 8-15 March for the lads trip though I am slow getting organised this year. Looks like that day in Torgon/La Chapelle will have to be deferred again!

No half term trip as our youngest is now off to uni. Might try to fit in a weekend or two.

David
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It looks dry in this area until Friday night... The Val d'Iliez forecast mentioned above is for the 13th November!

http://www.meteosuisse.admin.ch/web/fr/meteo/previsions_en_detail/previsions_locales.html?plz=Morgins

http://www.meteosuisse.admin.ch/web/fr/meteo/previsions_en_detail.html

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 25-11-13 16:51; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Partial opening of Pre-La-Joux sector in Chatel just announced by Chatel Tourist Office for w/end 30th Nov / 1st Dec
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
looks like Nyon has plenty of cover..any news on openings for that side of the PDS? Guessing its sticking at mid Dec?

http://www.morznet.com/morzine/webcams/nyon.html
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Clear and cold here in Chatel this morning (-7C ish) and snow cannons are now on in the Super Chatel area (as well as Linga and Pre-La-Joux).

Will have a trip to Pre-La-Joux tomorrow to see how the pistes are coming on ready for this weekend's opening.

Still lots of uncertainty regarding the snowfall due on Friday night / Sat morning. It looks like a cold front coming down from the NW will almost certainly bring a spell of snow, but how much remains to be seen. Looking at this morning's charts, there does appear to be a chance that we might get more snow than what the GFS powered snow-forecast .com is currently showing, but forecasting amounts of snow this far in advance to any level of accuracy is impossible. Even forecasts 6 hours before a snowfall can be wrong from my experience.

So far this autumn, I have found snow-forecast .com to have been almost spot on with 2 of the snowfalls, but I think it did underestimate last weeks snowfall.

This morning it is suggesting 6cm at 1700m and 5cm at 1200m on fri night / Sat morning - so it will be interesting to see what actually falls. My view at the moment is that we will get more than that, but I could well be very wrong!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

The Val d'Iliez forecast mentioned above is for the 13th November

So it is. That explains the discrepancy against all the other forecasts!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Chatel to open this weekend - 30 Nov & 1 Dec.

It's on the Chatel web page
snow report
Chatel Snow, Arriving in Abondance Sunday mid-afternoon for the season, will i need snow chains in (and to) the village or is that unlikely in your experience?
latest report
Hi Libertine - I would say it is unlikely that you would need them on Sunday in the Abondance area. Have you got snow tyres on your vehicle?
ski holidays
yeah got some winter tyres on from a couple of years ago when i last did a season. Only used chains once but that was on the way up to Peisey with fully laden car on arrival and tipping down with snow..... of course, i hadn't tested the chains and got into a right panic, lol. literally wouldnt have been to get to 1200 without the chains.... dont want that experience again!!
snow report
Should be fine with winter tyres Libertine - don't think they are expecting the Friday night / Saturday morning snowfall to cause any problems - looks to be a fairly minor snowfall from the latest info.
latest report
From our website - latest snow forecast just updated ....

Snow is expected to fall in Chatel on Friday night / Saturday morning as a cold front crosses the area from the northwest. At the moment it looks like being a helpful, but light snowfall with the possibility of between 5 and 10cm in Chatel at 1200m, with a tiny bit more higher up. 10cm would be at the very upper end of expectations according to the latest info. Beyond that, it looks like the weather will settle down again from Sunday for a few days at least, with hints in the extended charts of things becoming more unsettled again during the second half of next week, which will bring the possibility of a more substantial fall of snow.
snow report
Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Chatel Snow, I'm basically reading your posts now instead of looking at online weather reports! Very Happy
ski holidays
Thanks Harry - not much change in the forecast this morning - still looking like less than 10cm on Fri night / Sat morning. But plenty of interest in the charts towards the end of next week, which is a long way off, but is packed with potential for a substantial snowfall.

Very cold here in Chatel - still -4C and was -9C first thing. Lots of snow cannon on in all 3 main areas. Am off to check the pistes at Pre La Joux this afternoon - which are due to open on Saturday.
snow conditions
Remind me to buy you a beer when I finally get into resort in early Jan...
ski holidays
Harry Flashman wrote:
Remind me to buy you a beer when I finally get into resort in early Jan...

Ditto Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Libertine,

Quote:

yeah got some winter tyres on from a couple of years ago when i last did a season. Only used chains once but that was on the way up to Peisey with fully laden car on arrival and tipping down with snow..... of course, i hadn't tested the chains and got into a right panic, lol. literally wouldnt have been to get to 1200 without the chains.... dont want that experience again!!

I have driven to chatel many times in Jan/Feb during some major snow dumps of several feet. Have never needed chains but always snow tyres. Two years ago it was minus several million degrees and Geneva was 4 foot deep in powder and we hit a couple of black spots on the dual carriage way north of the lake right before we turned right to abondance. It was freak weather to be honest and we just slowed down and got through without incident. Abondance is fairly low so you will not have an issue.
ski holidays
Few people coming down the Rochassons piste this afternoon - which was much improved since I last saw it on Sunday. Plenty of work and snowmaking going on in preparation for Saturday's opening weekend. Have just put a few snaps on the chatelweb.com site.

latest report
What's up with the 3rd guy's left leg,what happened next Puzzled
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kiters - don't think there were any dramas! Having another look there this afternoon and may have a slide about up there too.

Latest info this morning is suggesting between 5cm and 10cm of snowfall Fri night / Sat morning.
ski holidays
Phew! Thanks for the up dates. Very Happy
latest report
Photo from the Linga ski area of Chatel this afternoon - the photo does not do justice to the size of the mounds of snow - some of them are huge!

ski holidays
10cm of fresh snow overnight here in Chatel.
Heading up to Pre La Joux shorly for opening morning of the season.
snow report
Chatel Snow, have a great day. Would love to be out on the slopes this morning!
ski holidays
Cheers Rick.

Snow report from the website ...
"12cm fell in Chatel overnight and into the first part of this morning, providing some very pleasant piste skiing at Pre-La-Joux. Some of the best snow was on the lower half of the mountain, which had not been affected so much by last weeks wind, however, coverage in general was very good for the end of November and some areas of the pistes were in very good condition. The mountain itself was perhaps not as busy as expected, possibly due to the early cloud and snow, but this was a bonus for those who had made the effort to get the best of the pistes during this morning. Officially, there is now 30cm on the lower slopes and 65cm up top. Cover is still rather thin for much of the off piste, however the avalanche risk was still considered to be "considerable" today (3/5)."

Photo from 4.15pm
snow report
Very Happy
snow conditions
I saw fab FB piccies from Pre la Joux today, looked quiet, great snow and blue skies snowHead Hope those lucky enough to be there can enjoy it before we all descend in 3-4 weeks time Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Two weeks to my first snow outing this year, a weekend with Reach4thAlps in Morzine

Can't wait, snow currently looks v.good Very Happy
snow report
Lift and cable car open in Champery/Les Crosets this weekend and great fun to get the legs working again. Snow good and just a couple of runs open. Sun out and cold and crisp this morning. Day 2 of the season
snow report
Great morning on the mountain today at Pre-La-Joux, Chatel - pistes were generally good again, but bit busier than yesterday. Photo from Plaine Dranse. More photos and a brief report on the chatelweb.com site.
ski holidays
Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy