Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2013/2014

Poster: A snowHead
Powder and a deserted section of the mountain between Barbossine and Super Chatel - one of the better powder sessions of the season, just me, my good wife and a liftie for company. Lucky with the vis as there were some sunny intervals that was just turning the powder as we left.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Really nice snow over on Mt Chery today - at times the vis was poor and I seem to become a complete numptie - and then just as we thought about coming home the sun came out so we just had to stay out.

Talking to the guys in the Chanterelle at the bottom of Chery Nord - when we were the only people in there in a bit of a blizzard at the time - they said that there is to be a ski testing day there on Thursday this week - Rossignol and Dynastar - from 9.30 - and they will probably be doing a steak bbq that day.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
One of the best powder days of the season once visibility improved in the afternoon. Light, fluffy, and tonnes of it! Chatel was lovely this morning - even in poor visibility. Prodains was utterly fantastic this afternoon. Coverage on bottom half of mountain ok but not brilliant as the new snow is not enough to replace that melted over the last couple of weeks. Coverage on top half is very good indeed. Steeper mogul runs are getting swept again, predictably.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looks a lot clearer this morning with quite a bit of blue sky but still some cloud around. Temp was down to -7.8C when we went to bed last night and its -6C here in LG at 8.15.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Harry Flashman, Please don't tell me that, I am sat behind my desk Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Another rather good powder morning today - some great conditions in the Barbossine bowl. Fantastic snow on piste too.

snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Another surprisingly good day - much less cloudy than we had expected and we headed off to the Roc d'Enfer, always thinking that at this time of year it might be the last time. Very, very quiet there - sitting on the gondola going up by 9.15 - where the lefties are so nice and put my skis in at the bottom and take out at the top and with a smile, and the snow was beautifully bashed and prepared everywhere. A few times up and down on the way round and second time back we stopped for a rather large lunch at the Tavaillon - couldn't remember the last time that we had shared a fondue, not for years, and a jug of red - well that is more often, and a gentle ski back. Two weeks ago the snow on the way back had been very soft by 11.30, today it was firm and crisp until the very last slope down to the bottom at 2.30.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chattonmill wrote:
Harry Flashman, Please don't tell me that, I am sat behind my desk Crying or Very sad

Sorry, chap: had a fantastic time skiing with you last week in the sunshine - but I'm afraid winter returned just after you went home!

Powder runs off Prodains were epic this morning: plenty of untouched fluffy stuff to be found. And pistes in Chatel in perfect condition this afternoon, and empty: the trees were great fun too. Weird for this to happen right now, as I prepare to go home to Blighty :sob:

Les Gets tomorrow to see what's what...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Snow flurries in Chatel today and these have pepped up a bit in the last 15 mins or so and are starting to give a light covering on some surfaces here at 1200m. Not expected to mount to much here, but could give a cm or 3 higher up.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Over to Morgins this morning via the Mossettes - we only saw one instructor and pupil from getting off the top of the French Mossettes to arriving in Morgins and the snow was fabulous, lovely corduroy with a dusting of fresh snow on top. Back via Champoussin and Les Crosets and so much better than when last done some time in January when it was thin and pretty soggy. -003 in Les Gets right now and has been snowing on and off for a couple of hours, not amounting to much here but hopefully freshening it all up a bit higher.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
About 1cm from this evenings snow here in Chatel - perhaps 2cm on top of lying snow. More than expected at 1200m. Maybe a bit more higher up.

Still a few tiny flakes falling.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Minus 6C in Les Gets at 8 a.m. sun out over on Mt Chery and blue skies - looks like a cracking day ahead.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mt Chery was gorgeous today and there is a Rossignol/Dynastar test at Chery Nord. Hope you had fun Pamski, I saw you two skiing down a couple of times but never managed to say hi.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
MeMyselfandI, certainly was gorgeous - and no-one there first thing - David spotted you once. We both tried some skis and it was really busy over at the Chanterelle, I don't think I have ever seen as many people on Mt Chery but it looked as if a number had driven there - huge grilled meat lunches which we couldn't resist.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
MeMyselfandI, certainly was gorgeous - and no-one there first thing - David spotted you once. We both tried some skis and it was really busy over at the Chanterelle, I don't think I have ever seen as many people on Mt Chery but it looked as if a number had driven there - huge grilled meat lunches which we couldn't resist.
latest report
Hi..........Does anybody know when Mt Chery will be closing? I'm going on the 5th and it'd be good to ski it this year......... Very Happy

thanks!
ski holidays
Gaz_H, It's closing on the 6th!
snow report
^ ah man I'm also out on the 5th. How about the rest of the area? I was keen to get over to swiss side.

Also if any local snowheads fancy showing me the slopes / sidecountry, I'll be in morzine with lift pass 6th to 11th and will be spending most of time with family but will likely have a couple of free days / afternoons to explore.

Looks like warming up for a the weekend but various sites showing precipitation from around 4-6th.
ski holidays
Yes warming up - its 00.2 here at 8.15 - great day yesterday when we went over to Super Chatel, via Ardent, Chaux Fleurie, bus etc and on down to Torgon - bit of mud along the way near the bottom and then back. Pistes around Chalet Neuf wide and empty. I found that bindings work as first tumble of the season - on a completely flat bit and the only reason I can think of was that it was a bit of a Farrow & Ball moment drifting along thinking of what to paint next.... found a black next to a poma up above the gondola a bit later and I did concentrate then, imagine its really a black when not bashed nice and flat.
Bus back and lift up to Plaine Dranse and then up to the top by the side of the Rock the Pistes concert. Track back down to Lindarets was empty and then the run down to car park at Ardent getting a bit soft.

OH thinks he must have left his rather good Hestra gloves on the roof of the car at Ardent on Wednesday as no sign of them - he went to the lift office but not handed in. They probably just fell off as we drove away - just relieved that they are his gloves and not mine!

Rock the Pistes concert at the Vaffieu at the top of the Follietts lift today at lunchtme.
latest report
A familiar view taken yesterday afternoon...

snow report
I saw photos from yesterday with the rock the pistes concert at plaine dranse. Was miffed as this past week was the one I'd hoped to sneak back out for a few days and it looked like it'd had been one of the best weeks Sad But still only two weeks to go now snowHead
latest report
sarah, don't make you want to feel more miffed, but this last week has been tremendous, we keep saying well if that is it, today has been a good one, and then there has been another. Just skied Les Gets this morning and it really is so worthwhile to be out when the lifts open and there are few around. Tulipe, Sautenay (sp?) good and empty, Melezes was really lovely - we had coffee at the QG restaurant/bar on the slope at the top of the Boule de Gomme - never stopped there before but friends said they eat there and its good. The great thing about the whole of the PDS really is that there are so many places to eat and drink, we all get our favourites but plenty of choice.
snow report
Hi all. Thinking of doing next year week starting 28/3 based an morzine as we love the place. Would this still be ok? I presume le pleney will be closed?

Opinions please!

Simone
snow report
Pamski, sounds lovely Smile

Monie&Dave, pretty sure we stayed that week last year or even the one after. It was fine though we skied from Ardent so I don't know about Pleney.
ski holidays
Is that it?

With spring temparatures and the snow cover still good but likely to disappear fast, I'm wondering whether seasoned PdSers are expecting the season to finish early. Reason I ask is that I've just received a booking enquiry for my apartment in Chatel for Wed-wed over the Easter weekend. In the last 2 years I've only taken sat-sat bookings and I've sold out each season. However, I expect people leave it late to book late season in PDS and, as the end of my season still has a few weeks to fill, I'm wondering whether I take the wed-wed booking if the season is likely to end before then.
ski holidays
snoozeboy, I would take the booking if I were you. As by taking it you are only losing one possible extra week and I think that the very last week of the season (sat 19thApril) won't sell anyway. I don't think they will close early, I think they will keep open what they can. When I made my booking recently I wanted 8 days to cover departures on Easter Monday so effectively meaning that the last week wouldn't be sold, I wasn't short of offers, so I think a lot of accomm providers are expecting the last week not to sell.
snow report
Lift faffer wrote:
^ ah man I'm also out on the 5th. How about the rest of the area? I was keen to get over to swiss side.

Also if any local snowheads fancy showing me the slopes / sidecountry, I'll be in morzine with lift pass 6th to 11th and will be spending most of time with family but will likely have a couple of free days / afternoons to explore.

Looks like warming up for a the weekend but various sites showing precipitation from around 4-6th.

Lest year on the same week it was only Mt chery that was closed, but the snow was much better. i understand, cause its all about the economics of keeping it open when there are very few people there....

I'm more worried about the rain that is forecast!!!!!

Gary
ski holidays
I'm sure it'll stay open - perhaps not in its entirety but the only reason the season is a week longer this year is that French Easter hols are in that last week... I highly doubt they will close season. maybe not all the lifts and pistes open, but some will be.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Its beautiful here again today - having skied Les Gets on Saturday, yesterday we thought we would ski Morzine while we could. With the bonus of the hour springing forward the Chamossiere was great first thing - over there when it opened, via the Belle Mouille - only just opened so we were the first down there too and 'that' corner that always goes was already softening but just grippy. Then over to Nyon for a few runs from the top and the Chamois - with this sort of weather if you do a run more than once it feels so different each time. Got down to the Atray ok for a coffee and around there for a bit - home then passing through at about 1 by the Vaffieu where the band were going to be at 1.30 so very busy.
Today we went over to the Fornet first thing from Ardent, and then over to Switzerland via the Wall - huge moguls at the top now - seen from the chair... only the T bar on the Ripaille - the Ripaille run still open but the Grand Paradis lift is now closed so it will be the lift at the bottom. We didn't go down there, done it enough times this year. Planachaux - bottom bit of snow now disappeared but fine going round the track to the lift. Grand Combes big chair has now closed so its the Mossettes if you want to come back that way. We came back up the wall, Chavanettes, round to the bonking lift, Combe de Foret and back to Ardent.
15C as we drove back through Morzine - 12.5 here at the chalet. Chair outside in the sun waiting...
latest report
Quote:

huge moguls at the top now - seen from the chair...

I'd have been seeing them from the chair too, Pamski, wink I did some cross-country this morning her in Les Saisies. Very nice condition - snow a little bit slow, but loads (1m) even at the bottom of the area and I'd prefer it a bit slow than too fast 'n icy! Very quiet.
snow conditions
pam w, yes, forgot to say its very quiet - so since we got back on 8th March we have not had a queue anywhere, perhaps one or two people at a lift and by the time you get there its just straight through, and that is everywhere.
Cross-country is such good aerobic exercise isn't it - well done you.
snow report
Pamski, After sweating it out in my lightest downhill trousers today I was tempted to buy a pair of special cross country pants. I didn't fall this morning (I frequently do) so could have worn tracksuit trousers and a vest top, and ditched the gloves but I was afraid of falling and hurting myself on the snow - wimp! It's terrific exercise - must stretch my hip flexors this afternoon, they are the muscles which I find feel the cross country the most. It's specially good for glutes and bingo wings! I just need to do more...
snow report
Very warm again today in Chatel - snow disappearing rapidly in resort but pistes holding up OK in general. No snowfall likely below 2000m for at least 7 days and that may extend out to 14 days!
ski holidays
Chatel Snow, It will dump down friday 11th and sat 12th, I have consulted my crystal ball snowHead
latest report
sarah wrote:
Chatel Snow, It will dump down friday 11th and sat 12th, I have consulted my crystal ball snowHead

Now that would be nice!

10 days is a long time in terms of weather forecasting - so you could be right.
snow conditions
Chatel Snow, Cool
snow report
I'm off to Avoriaz at the end of next week with my non skiing wife and kids. A mate of mine was telling me that the restaurants in Lindarets are good and I thought if the hot weather continues it might be nice to have a long lunch one afternoon. How do I get my non skiing wife to Lindarets, do they let you download on the chair from Avoriaz or is it possible to walk there?
latest report
The only way I can think of is to download on the Prodains lift, get the bus to the stop by the Pompiers in Morzine, then catch the bus to the Ardent bubble. From the top of the Ardent bubble it's a 5-10 mins gentle walk.
snow conditions
Guernseyfreerider, I can't think of a way round 'on the snow' so perhaps the idea of noggy, is the best. She will have plenty of time to do the trip and the walk down from the Ardent bubble is very easy.
snow report
It's only two detachable chairs (one up, one down) from Avoriaz down to the flat area below the Ardent bubble arrival station and an easy walk to the goat village from there.

I really can't recall whether either lift allows pedestrians. The key one is the one down to/ up from Lindarets as it is a reasonably easy walk down the side of the piste from the ridge to Avoriaz.

The bus plan would work but via the lifts would be nicer (and much quicker). Maybe check with the lifties on day one.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy