Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2013/2014 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon, Sixt Fer a Cheval

Poster: A snowHead
carroz wrote:
Tourmaline blue to Flaine is closed, so only way there is by road.

Tourmaline was open this afternoon when I shot over to Samoans - agree the north faces there are holding up well.
Top of the Flaine bowl is pretty good, but full of soft moguls due to the numbers skiing and the restricted number of pistes open.

Quote:
, no idea what they are doing about passes, guessing flaine will be selling flaine only ones and rest of the villages massif ones.

They sold us reduced price 6-day GM passes on Sunday - around eur150 each compared with the full price of eur171.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.flaine.com/en/winter/forfait-ski-en-winter-3-11-1.htm 171 is the childrens normal price, 225 for adults, so it is a little better saving.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pleased we're on page 2. Scrolling back and forth due to large pics was a pain. Out there 18th Jan. Glued to Nos's updates. Bring on the snow tomorrow. snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
This talk of 63 cms is all a bit daft - who knows? Chamonix meteo is (rather unusually) not putting any figures on the amount of snow.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Michael B, Terribly sorry it is inconvenient, maybe reading the snow reports is as well? RobW, Tourmaline was shut first thing, sorry for the mistake

Bye, leave it to someone else who does it in a less painful fashion, anyway it seems webcams and internet forecasts are more valuable

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 24-12-13 9:46; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Bye for now, leave it to someone else who does it in a less painful fashion

carroz, some people are just never satisfied. I think the pictures bring it all to life.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
carroz, totally agree with pam w, keep it coming I for one have always enjoyed reading your bulletins and observations. There are several guys/girls like you that are out there in various locations and are prepared to take the time and effort to keep all us avid skier's stuck at home updated throughout the season. I for one often look in for updates and changes and I hope you keep it going, thanks.

Photo's are brilliant imho!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Carroz don't stop , sometimes humour is lost in translation from the brain to the finger , or people find it easier to be rude by being faceless, which ever it is there are a lot of people back here in the uk that really benefit from you and others that take the time to write and upload pics. It brings the last trips back to mind and gives us glimpses of the next trip to come.
Keep up the good work !
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
carroz, Don't stop. Love reading the updates and seeing pictures from your lovely part of the world.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, northantsred, bigtoe, ringingmaster, Me too.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
carroz, yes things do seem to opening and shutting often at the moment - we've just been turfed out of the lift queue for Alp de Veran as it is now shut due to the wind. But earlier conditions were really nice: soft groomed wind-blown snow.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
gsb, 171 is the special adults-pay-same-as-their-kids deal available this week - yet they discounted it further.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

it is now shut due to the wind

ah, been wondering about that. Our lift is still running but the wind gusts are high; wouldn't surprise me if a number of chairlifts close at times throughout the day. Unfortunately, thanks to the relentless modernising of lifts, we have few surface lifts left!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
December 24th

Thank you everyone, I have got over my grump,......... well a bit anyway, maybe i should be called Victor (after Mr Meldrew!) or Pram (toys out of!).

This is from my daughter, as i have not been out today, long story..........collecting the toys.......

Tete des saix was shut due to wind, Did the les carroz red Zorta first which she enjoys because the bushes sticking out make good slalom poles! then lots of exercises on the little blue near l'airon lake, where they saw the helicopter. Then down the blue (which was fine) to the fast 6 man chair, then to Morillon, the race course (stade....what else!) which had good snow (but its shut to everyone else so she states). Sairon was fine, with no stones. On the link back to les carroz she had to take her skis off and walk over the mud, and combe back down was very stoney but soft.

She is on her old SL race skis and they are starting to look very battered, with thin edges, but no way is she going out on the new pairs.

Timalets has opened and has the best snow, apart from the very top

One thing to remember, she races, so likes rock hard snow which she calls good!

Gondola is a bit better as they have been using a helicopter to carry snow from near l'airon lake to the gondola, using bashers to shovel snow into a net under the helicopter. Must be costing a fortune.

Watching the chinese lanterns from the village square tonight...... zoom off in the wind, whcih is a bit odd, nothing then a fierce blast.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Very blowy at the top of Flaine today. Grande Platieres was closed when we got to Flaine at about 11, along with Aup de Veran. We went up Tete des Verds, and then back down Tanzanite (lovely snow, if a bit thin) to Desert Blanc. There was a notice at the bottom of Desert Blanc to say that Tetes des Verds was now closed, and a lovely liftie at the top making sure that every single chair knew that if they skied back down below Desert Blanc there was no way back up. That's what I call good service. Later on we saw a liftie skiing down and removing rocks from the piste, so they really are doing their best.

Was sunny at 11, a bit cloudy by 1, and then really dark by about 3.30. Let's hope the snow is on its way........

carroz Glad you've got over your grump, we enjoy your updates whether we're nearby or at home, we'll watch out for you at lantern time tonight as we are staying in Les Carroz!
ski holidays
sj1608,Seems to be just one or two lanterns as too windy?, and my little lad fell sound asleep, so we missed it all.....

Snow seems to be melting ultra quick tonight, quite a torrent coming off the roof
ski holidays
carroz, Sorry mate, I did not mean any offence, whatsoever. Appreciate your input. Merry Christmas. snowHead
snow report
RAIN in Flaine Forum this morning. Looks like snow higher up - hopefully temperatures will drop as slopes are very brown down here. Still a bit breezy.
DMC and Aup de Veran both running.
ski holidays
Michael B, No problem

Christmas Day

Just about on first Gondola out of les carroz, melting snow is rather thin.

Out of gondola, still rocks everywhere, most of combe at top shut, so down zorta which was thin, but ok. Up gron, then down to gentiene & tete des saix, started to snow / rain at bit on the lift, then vernant. All snow fine so far.

Tormaline had warning sign at the top of thin snow, but it was not that bad at 9.30 ish, virtually no one about, even no queue for the carpet, and no one at DMC at all, 3 people in cabin. Snow on Faust was superb, just got thin down to desert blanc.

So Flaine overall seemed in fine nick, snowed more intensely during morning, middle part of faust was shut, lower part open and a bit rocky & thin, but ok.

snow down at base of flaine was rather soft, but went back up Grand Vans at about 12.30 and it was snow/sleeting hard, with heavy snow at the top. Vis a bit fun down to vernant, as was run back to les carroz, but quite a bit of new snow at top of tete des saix, which made all the rocks better.

Gondola has a bit more snow, and plein soleil and timalet were very soft, but brill fun, bottom of timalets rather wet and sticky (plus raining at base) but enjoyed so much did that 4 times!

Has been raining down in village most of early afternoon, turned to snow for a while, so must be reasonable amount at the top of the gondola.

Has got very very thin at base, next to free drag near arielles is mostly grass now

Best bit of day....hardly anyone about Very Happy and new snow Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Very Happy
snow conditions
Can't wait for today's report from Carroz Happy Webcams looking much more like they ought to Happy
snow report
Just reading this from the Les Gets neck of the woods where it is still snowing and seems to have been all night. It is so heartening to hear the comments about the lifties giving good service and the shifting of snow by helicopter. They are doing their best. We can all get grumpy by the conditions - we are lucky in that we are here for the winter bar February so if not good for a few days no big deal - but we have visiting family and they have wanted to get outand about but a lot of realism sets in and its no-one's fault.

Hope to get over to GM ourselves in January so will watch your reports and Bon Ski to everyone.
ski holidays
Quick report from Carroz, before we head out to the slopes. Snowed all night and is still doing so - probably 25cm or so laid in the village. Will report back later after skiing....
snow conditions
Enjoy Very Happy
snow report
December 26th

Rather epic, if tiring...there is tons of snow, up to waist in places!!

Got to look after rather sick child Crying or Very sad so thats it sorry
latest report
I can only endorse carroz's description of today as epic.

And it is still snowing....
snow report
I'm there Saturday, can't wait
ski holidays
carroz, Hope the "sick child" is feeling better soon.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Splendid stuff. Driving out to Samoens tomorrow.
snow report
Carroz, waste deep! That will do. Cheers and good luck.!
snow report
Sorry, no time to report back yesterday.

Masses of snow everywhere, but as it hadn't been bashed, by the afternoon there were old icy and rocky patches showing through in some places. Local opinion was that they'd piste bash last night - up until now they haven't been doing this on the basis that there was so little snow that all they'd do was throw up rocks.

As relative novices we found the flat light combined with all that snow quite hard going, and stopped relatively early, knowing that the forecast today is for blue skies.

Our only complaint on yesterday was the really poor piste marking in the Carroz sector. It's the first time we've skied in Les Carroz, so we don't know our way around. Some pistes were lacking edge markers (totally in the case of Blanchot) and we barely saw a piste name/distance marker at all, so in the poor light we were not always 100% sure of where we were. Went to the piste office to complain, and she said that there hadn't been enough snow to put markers in before. Not really true, as there were some edge markers. Got the official complaint form to fill in, as this is a safety issue as far as I am concerned - how would I ever report where someone had been injured without distance markers!

Snow stopped early evening yesterday, with a bit of drizzle later on. Clear skies this morning, and we're planning on skiing over to Samoens if we don't get distracted on the way....
ski holidays
stevo_the_saddler, Sick child is getting better, Very Happy

sj1608, The piste markers are large diameter alloy poles and will not stand up with no snow depth, they just fall over, so they put the thin poles in instead. They were putting the piste markers in today on combe as i watched while gron lift was stopped for 30 mins...grrrr

27th December

Slow start to the morning as gondola broke at 9.00am am ish and a huge queue resulted

Eventually got up there, snow is very nice, just they have bashed too much!!, but found some nice off piste in the trees, plus felire which is not marked yet and especially under the gondola and around gron chair (when it didn't stop!) and i didn't get tangled with hidden bushes (need more snow!)

Timalets on the way back was brilliant, and they had left a bit unpisted......wish they would stop over grooming everything Evil or Very Mad

Loads more people....wish it was snowing again keeps them away!...thats 2 wishes!

More snow tomorrow hopefully Very Happy
ski holidays
carroz, pleased to hear the child is getting better, 24 hours is a life changer with minor ailments with kids.

On the webcams it looked like a great day.

But on the website it is saying that there are lots of lifts not operating and still many pistes not in use, is the so?
latest report
northantsred, Quite a few closed pistes still, most of the lower blues apart from combe, both front facing village side blacks are closed, I did not go anywhere else as no need for the conditions i wanted Very Happy I am not really a big piste mileage person these days.

One drag in les carroz closed I noticed (one that goes to the gondola area) well i hope it was as i was skiing it / near it!

Looking at the the red tail lights going through the village at the moment, huge traffic jam

My daughter suffers from tonsillitis on a regular basis, usually viral version, and gets a huge temperature, thats now gone, she is wanting to get on her new GS skis......so guess what we are probably doing tomorrow.........me trying to keep up on some rockered S3's....may do some off piste...that will please her!! Toofy Grin
latest report
Glad your daughter is feeling better, My eldest seemed t get tonsillitis all the time, so painful and such a high temp to go with it, nasty stuff. Coming over to your way tomorrow, staying in Flaine bags are all packed. If any one fancies a ski be great to put faces to names. My wife and youngest will be in ski school each morning leaving me to my own devices Smile I hate packing !
ski holidays
Really great day yesterday after the 45 minute wait when the bubble out of Carroz broke down at 9.05. Slopes were incredibly busy and people were still coming up the bubble at 2 minutes to 4.

Today's forecast brings in more snow later today, but we'll be on our way home after skiing today so we'll leave the new snow for the rest of you to enjoy.

carroz I'd buy the 'not enough snow for the alloy poles' if the situation were the same in Samoens, Morillon and Flaine, but it's not. It's just Carroz sector that seems unable to put them up. And that includes the thin ones. There were more thin ones yesterday, but still nowhere near enough to mark piste edges properly. If you had an accident, many insurance companies would try to wriggle out of a claim if they found out you were skiing off piste, even if it was inadvertenty.
snow conditions
Just caught up with thread as skiing plans uncertain this season - maybe none at all Crying or Very sad However, as I skied the GM from 2000 to 2012 I'm always interested so many thanks to carroz and others. Those out there now, have a good one snowHead
snow report
28th December

Nice quieter day, spent in les carrox and morillon, found some nice easy off piste in morillon, more stones about than yesterday, rest of the time spent trying to catch tonsillitis child zooming around on her GS Skis (think she may be better) Timalets rather bumped which was fun and still some soft stuff on the left side.

Now snowing lots
Very Happy
snow conditions
It's snowed about a foot in Flaine since 4pm and no sign if it easing off
snow conditions
Yup can agree with that carroz snowing lots in flaine since around 4.00 , buzzzzzing😄
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy