Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2013/2014 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon, Sixt Fer a Cheval

Poster: A snowHead
northantsred, just click the little box on the top left and it disappears Smile
carroz, better mate it was superb, ahh well that figures then, I was saying out there that if there's a valid reason then you don't mind at all . The neilson reps were good but did not know why, maybe they should have asked. I will keep reading the thread with jealous interest. Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
northantsred, Install AdBlock
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We arrive on Thursday night for a cheeky long weekend, staying in Les Carroz. Couple of questions:

1) Any good restaurant & bar recommendations in the town for evening? Staying here: http://www.lesservages.com/index_uk.html, but have a hire car, so can travel if needs be.
2) Long shot this one, but does anyone know any hire shops that keep Dynastar Cham 87 fluid? Mrs ringingmaster tried them at one of the ski test sessions and really got on with them

Cheers

Steve.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ringingmaster, Les arielles is trad french and quite nice and not expensive (near chalet de jouvance) and i have seen Dynastar cham skis from ski set, so new loc in the main square near the mgm office may do them at a guess
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
carroz, many thanks. Will give both a try.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yesterday was superb. We decided to stay low as there would not be a better opportunity to do the lower resorts.
Covered all Morrilon then over to Vernant and St Molliets, just fabulous conditions.
There was a a ski test set up in St Molliets but time was pushing when we came accords it as we didn't go up the hill till past 11.
We finished the day playing around Gron in Les Carroz.
It couldn't get better!

Today we intend to head over to the Flaine bowl and explore a bit so my son can more off piste on his silly board.

We have found the village very quiet and civilised and are using st Jacks as a watering hole.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
northantsred, Flaine not ideal for off-piste without a guide… especially higher up. Some massive "holes" be careful.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What kind of condition are the reds and blacks in at the moment. Is the off piste reasonable or too dangerous atm? Do you think there is enough for an advanced skier for a week here right now? Meant to be flying out this weekend for a week but thinking about shortening the trip to 4 days... Thanks for any replies.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi smOakes, I am ski-ing in Samoens this week and for me the conditions are fantastic, good weather Monday and Tuesday, no queues and loads of snow on the pistes that are open . In answer to your specific question regarding the reds and blacks according to the Grand Massif web site http://hiver.grand-massif.com/meteo-et-conditions there are 7 of the 14 blacks open and 31 of the 46 reds . I have skied 4 of the blacks today and the snow was well over the top of the boots, deep fresh powder hardly tracked. I took a couple of tumbles because of depth , head first into deep powder. All the reds, I have skied, are in great condition .

With regard to the off piste, there are signs everywhere warning against it, Gers and Cascades are closed. There is more snow forecast on Thursday night, I will post again on Friday to let you know what difference it has made .
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I cannot warn people enough about the holes off piste in the Flaine bowl. Like carroz, I have walked the area in the summer and the holes are enormous. Take a look below you when going up the Dessert Blanc chair and you'll see what I mean. Go off to the right of the Mephisto run off the top of the Aup de Veran and you have to be very careful where you are going unless you are very familiar with the area. Ski back under the Dessert Blanc chair and there are very large holes. Some of them never get filled in with snow, even last season. We all enjoy making fresh tracks but be very careful - there could be a reason why no one has gone there before you.......
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bobrun, save some for me - I'll be out there from Wednesday !! Getting excited now......
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chris Mason, +1 Having seen from the DB chair a few years a go a skier hanging upside down in one of said holes only saved by a ski being wedged in rocks and the binding not releasing.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
In Flaine at the moment, yesterday was a bit bumpy as the pistes hasn't been groomed after heavy snow on Saturday night, but today they were great. Hoping for the same again tomorrow! Have seen a few people off piste but the avalanche risk was 4/5 yesterday and warning signs everywhere so I guess probably not a good idea.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chris Mason, +1. You can play a little just off side of some pistes e.g. RHS of Serpentine as you approach cafe and convergence with Cristal there's a natural half pipe- great fun for blue run skiers upwards.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Off piste is not recommended at the moment.
Pistes are generally getting very scratchy especially of Aup de Veran.
Weather is great but not for terrain in need of snow.
Seen plenty of slides and lots cracks appearing all over.
Pistes where fine from Platiers bubble and St Molliets and around Carroz are ok, but for how long in these temps?
We leave on Friday and I am not confident conditions will hold out that long!
Sorry the news ain't great and it just my opinion.
latest report
I have to agree with northantsred, conditions have changed dramatically since yesterday, the runs that were powder yesterday were a little cruddy today. Still plenty of good skiing higher up, but desperately in need of more snow.
ski holidays
Today we skied LC first thing, not too bad but pistes are thinning out.
We then went over to Flaine and the best skiing was getting over there as once there the pistes were very hard and bare in places, too many people lots of potential for accidents. Did 3 or 4 runs then decided to head back over.
Went down to Samoen and please toy suprised with piste conditions, much better than Flaine and much quieter.
Had late lunch in the sun Very Happy
Then headed back to LC and had a wizz round, again not brill but skiable, getting dampish low down but ok compared to earlier in the day.
Think we may stay this side tomorrow our last day as I think it will be mayhem in Flaine.
ski holidays
Hi all Anyone got a New Year report on conditions in the GM?
snow report
Ah - apologies - page hadn't refreshed! Have read all the updates - thanks all!
latest report
Ah - apologies - page hadn't refreshed! Have read all the updates - thanks all!
snow report
Freestyle, what a historical review of what the snow was like eight days ago?

In which case ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Or a review of what the snow is like currently in the new year.

In which case ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
snow report
Hi, out in Les Carroz for three days starting on Friday. Given the conditions, any comments on getting the local or a full area pass? We usually just get the local pass but the reports are 'interesting'?
snow conditions
Well it is raining now!
snow report
ringingmaster, I would suggest to just get the local pass as the condition appear to be better over this side.
Wednesday we were in Flaine and it was not nice. Only did 4 runs and returned back Over this side.
Yesterday we stayed this side all day and were pleasantly suprised to have a super final days skiing. Didn't expect that. But be careful we're you ski. Most of Les Carroz is just about ok, with exception, you will spot these from the lifts.
Morrilon is fine from top to bottom on Sairon don't venture to the red run(Grojon sp) like I did as it was horrid!
And most of Samoen is fine too.
The best run of the week yesterday afternoon was Chamois onto Molliets in blazing if fading glorious sunshine! I think the first pitch deters people off chamois and as a result It was nice and soft.
All pistes are firm first thing but softening up through the day .
They are also showing lots of wear and there is not a lot of depth left. But they are working hard to keep most of them open.
Desperately need snow and lots of it. The of piste is awful and there has been lots of slides!!!!
Also seen lots of injuries which is surprising as it's not overly busy?
First time I have stayed in Les Carroz but I have skied the domain before and have say the variation in the fund is exceptional.
The village is not the liveliest and considering the amount of self catering accommodation I find the lack of restaurants and bars bewildering.
We have eaten out a few times and IMHO the pick of the is L'Agora in the idle of the square.
Would I come back? Yes I think I would. The skiing terrain is great and in what is fast becoming a poor season for snow we were lucky enough to enjoy powder on Sunday and Monday.
Snow is forecast soon I hope it comes as the area needs it.
snow report
Quote:

considering the amount of self catering accommodation I find the lack of restaurants and bars bewildering

the clue is in the "self". wink
snow conditions
Well we stuck with the 'happy days' 3 local days pass. Not bad value. Works out about £20 a day. Well after all the concern about the conditions, I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. Sure there are some brown patches, but on the whole the conditions while being a bit spring like were super. Well the sun came out, not many people around and we had a blast. Will try and get some photos on later if I have the correct lead.
snow report
This is my last report for now as we are leaving tomorrow, back in 10 days or so, to hopefully much better conditions. Skied from Samoens to Morrilon 1600 first, conditions a bit spring like but not too bad till you got close to 1600 then it was a bit thin and going slightly brown.

Then went down to Les Carroz, still a bit spring like but not too bad. I then skied over to Flaine, again not too bad till just before going into Flaine and it was very thin with a lot of bare patches, probably the worst conditions of the day.

Then back to Samoens which is still quite good and whilst conditions are not perfect, it is desparately in need of more snow, I have had a great day sking helped by the good weather and no queues at all.

The good news is, there is snow forecast for next week, lets hope its loads.
ski holidays
Had another great day. Dappled sun in the morning. Stayed around Les Carroz, and the pistes were firm with sugary snow (It froze overnight last night) and really quiet. Really enjoyed ourselves. In the afternoon some low cloud came in so we went high. Shocked by the number of people on dolomie.

Decided not to go over to Flaine as it looked even worse for crowds. Looks like the reports of poor snow has sent everyone scurrying to Flaine, leaving the Massif area quiet. Again posts a bit brown in some areas, but on the whole fine spring like conditions.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sun 12-01-14 20:35; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lovely sunny day today. Froze quite hard overnight and stayed cold out of the sun. Pistes did not get slushy apart from some sunny spots. Another great day.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 13-01-14 13:59; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Today in the sun.

Strange effect of clouds pouring into the valley.
snow report
nice shots, makes me feel sad that I am now back home sat in the office wishing I was somewhere else . . . . wink
snow report
northantsred, I am back home now also. Perhaps because I am used to skiing @ Easter, but I thought the conditions were ok. Certainly off-piste is bad, but generally on-piste was good enough to have a lot of fun.
ski holidays
Update on conditions..... It started to snow yesterday at about 13:00 and it's still snowing Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Looks to be about 6-8 inches of snow on the cars in the Flaine village webcam. That plus the dump due on Thursday will just be perfect for when we arrive on Sat. snowHead
ski holidays
Just back - sorry for lack of reporting whilst there.
Monday 13th - Had to drive to Cluses to sort my 3G wifi device so decided to try Chamonix - went to Grand Montets…. not impressed at all to be honest, give me the GM any day - nuff said.

Tuesday 14th - Having got soaked by rain Monday evening we were hopeful of a white awakening… and we did. Not much at Samoens village level, just a dusting - BUT there was a foot 8 inches to a foot between 1600 and 2400 in the GM. Because it has snowed overnight a lot remained un-pisted or on top of pisted areas…. good fun, but the weather and visibility was poor. It snowed much of the day and the light was flat. We did however really enjoy Morillon and Les Carroz which are always a good bet when the light is bad. We didn;t bother with Flaine, knowing the forecast for weds - we decided to wait.

Weds 15th - Sunny morning with more fresh snow. We had some brilliant "off-piste, on-piste" runs before they got chopped up. Some great conditions in all areas. Skied much of Flaine, but chose not to do the Gers bowl (though it was open) as we had tired legs from a couple of days of bad light conditions.

All in all, we had some great skiing considering the low level of snow. Still needs more before the masses arrive in Feb, but for anyone going before then - nothing to worry about as there is some great skiing around.
ski holidays
How are conditions over there at the minute? Heading out on March 16th, really looking forward to it.
ski holidays
Went to Les Carroz yesterday and it was good.
ski holidays
Not the best video ever - but an indication of slope condition last weds… and the very end shows that even after all these years… I can fall over on a simple blue!

http://youtube.com/v/TPBqtqM83ag
snow report
Brilliant video, did you use a Go Pro camera?
snow conditions
Yep - got it last year, but constantly played up. Had it replaced in the end, and still played up… got a new different SD card - now works fine Happy Just means my shadow looks like Tinky Winky Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy