Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tirol/Innsbruck Area Snow 13/14

Poster: A snowHead
Ok fine, I'll start the new one!

I had to work when Stubai re-opened yesterday (Friday 20th), but went up today for my first runs of the season. There are only a couple of lifts and slopes open, and only above the top station of the Eisgratbahn (1900m) - literally zero snow below that point. Still, the snow was suprisingly good, no slush, more wintery conditions than I expected. Pistes were firm but grippy and ideal for carving, off the groomed we found some really nice cream-cheese style windbuff - as ever hiking for a few minutes yielded plenty of untracked snow. Really great day, and was SO good to be back on skis!

Few pictures as we were mainly filming for a slightly ambitious project (which will likely turn out crap!), but to give you an idea of conditions, here's a screenshot of my mate Andy slashing out a nice turn after a 10 minute hike:

Crappy quality on my comp for some reason, maybe memory card problems?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Snowing lightly at the Stubai right now, their forecast shows it continuing until (minimum) Saturday!

http://www.stubaier-gletscher.com/eng/Winter/Stubai-Live/Webcams
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Heavy snow right down to my flat (750ish metres asl) atm!!!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Playing out at the weekend then?! Toofy Grin
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Significant amounts of snow. Woke up the 30cms in my garden (750ish metres) and 10-15cms in the city. Pretty chaotic; no-one has winter tyres on yet, and as the trees still have lots of leaves they've been catching a lot of snow and falling. Got stuck in the bus for an hour on the way to work waiting for the firemen to clear a tree that had fallen on the road. Must have fallen in the 10 mins between the bus coming up the hill and turning around to go back down, so could have been a lot worse... 3 or 4 colleagues had similar problems in several different places.

In terms of snowfall in the mountains, Stubai reports 70cms, Nordkette 50 and Patscherkofel 40cms at the base. Ischgl even seem to have started grooming!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152005288485649.1073741830.143754255648&type=3

My garden this morning:

Looking over the city from just up the road, by the Nordkette ski lifts:

Hintertux:

A friend's picture, I think looking across towards (ish) the Nordkette mountains from the south:

Stubai:

45cm in the Stubai valley

Seefeld:

Pitztal:

snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Still going to Japan? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Great pics. I had to check the date to make sure it was not an old thread Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
clarky999, Laughing Laughing Good try - the whole world and its brother knows Austria is way too low for snow! wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nice. Can't wait till Jan.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
clarky999, looking forward to photos later mate if you're out hiking to get into the pow today?! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We were at Stubai today, the snow was immense, too deep at places for my skinny Auras and not enough steep areas safe to ski so was hard going at times. There weren't many lifts open but plenty to ski, found a nice itinerary to ski first then also skied some "pistes" which were impossible to see. They had reported 70cm of fresh on friday and we woke to more massive flakes this morning, I reckon at least another 20cm, there weren't any tracks to be seen anywhere on the mountain anywhere, great snow, great day!

One pic as we were too busy skiing to take more Smile

snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
lynseyf, wow......Auras ain't skinny, my wife loves hers wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Markymark29 wrote:
clarky999, looking forward to photos later mate if you're out hiking to get into the pow today?! Toofy Grin

12 hours at work Confused On the plus side that's two hours of overtime to add the huge amount I racked up over the summer, I've got enough that for the foreseeable future I'm getting paid for 30 hours a week while only working 20! Nice surprise when my manager told me Laughing

lynseyf, how busy was it today? Any chance of scoring pow without having to work too hard tomorrow? Think it's going to be too warm for my alternative plan of touring near Kuhtai, but we'll see.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Samerberg Sue, wink

snowbandit wrote:
Still going to Japan? Toofy Grin

Laughing yeah, for the seafood wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Off to Solden on Monday Happy
snow report
clarky999, it didn't seem bad to me at all. I don't know Stubai well at all, think this is just the 5th day I skied here but there didn't seem that many people and everyone seemed to be going the same routes so I guess if you know the area well you should be able to find some fresh. There were only 6 lifts open so if they open more lifts should imagine there will be a lot more untracked available.
snow conditions
lynseyf, sweet, thanks! You gonna be about?
ski holidays
Yeah we're gonna stay till monday
ski holidays
Went to Kuhtai in the end, up and down early as it warmed up a lot today (snow has gone from my garden). Plenty left up there though, the village is at 2020 metres. Really nice tour, mostly just roughly where the pistes are, then on up out the side of the resort. Skiing was a bit of a mix; 30cms of really nice light pow, heavy warm pow and hideous breakable crust on some higher, wind/sun-exposed slopes. Worth it to beat the glacier feeding frenzy (assuming it was busy today with bright sun and blue sky); I love empty resorts.

Camera battery died in the car park, so I've only got some crappy iPod/Instagram pictures.

Plenty of snow:

Tea at the top (could have gone higher, but shallow snowpack, steep slope and rising temps isn't a great recipe):

Saw this in the bakery car park on the way back and lol'd. Yes I'm a child:

snow conditions
Looks nice clarky999, It didn't seem too busy to me today but the snow wasn't as good, it had really settled so was heavier and pretty much everything easy I could see was skied, lovely sunshine though and still nice snow so a good start to the season for me.
ski holidays
Couple more pictures my mate took of me on Sunday in Kuhtai:

snow report
Awesome.
snow report
Great photos, keep them coming you lucky *&£$*$"£%^
snow conditions
Light snowfall on the mountains (above around 1900m I think) the last two nights. Warm and sunny during the day though,t he snow is melting off pretty quickly (other than the glaciers). Which is a good thing, we don't want snow to stick around until late November really, could make for a dodgy persistant layer at the bottom of the snowpack all season long otherwise.

My new skis just arrived from SportPursuit too, 193 4FRNT EHPs. 40m turn radius, really mellow rocker and pretty damn stiff... I'm a little bit scared Laughing Should be ace for going fast though, looking forward to getting them out on the glacier next week!
snow conditions
clarky999, how'd you find the Down7's Matt, hope not too flappy? I'm looking forward to mine next season Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Markymark29, really nice flex and rocker profile. Sadly mine had a problem with the bases, but Gregor's giving me a pair of CD1s as a warranty replacement Very Happy

Great snow at Stubai today, clouds blowing in and light snow as we left. Crappy iPod pic:

snow conditions
Snow nowhere near as nice today; seriously wind-scoured (I shat myself on the gondola up due to the swinging), sometimes down to the ice below. In the end I found where the snow was getting deposited again, scoring some really nice powdery bumps. Lots of snow forecast this week, possibly 40-70cms...(!!!!)

Some really incredible skiing on show today by the various ski clubs, especially the comp mogul training. Blew my mind, I wish I could ski like that.
ski holidays
Managed to squeeze a couple of hours skiing in this morning before work, by getting up at silly o'clock (first lift is 7:30am!!). Rewarded with 20-30cms of powder, which didn't get tracked anywhere near as quickly as I expected. Forecast was to stop snowing in the afternoon; visibility was just improving enough to open the throttle a bit when I left at around 10:30 but no idea what happened later. No photos as we didn't have time to waste!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Stubai was super busy today, however after a lazy morning we didn't get up there until 2pm, by which time everyone else was queuing to come down leaving the slopes empty! Snow wasn't the best tbh, though there were still some nice pockets of fresh and soft snow around. Pistes varied between lovely soft moguls and skier-scraped ice. People had been hitting some of the more obvious hike to/from lines (which looked pretty damn nice), and there's a fair bit of powder left to be scored if you have a pair of skins (we didn't). Scenery was bad-ass as always. Here's a couple of crappy iPod photos from this week:

Wonder if these coulies go in winter with more snow?

Coverage was patchy earlier in the week:

Much better now after the snowfall on Wednesday, still plenty of sharks about offpiste though; some areas are best left alone for now.
snow report
Lazy morning.......stuff can't wait?! Looks awesome.
latest report
Heavy rain here today (like Scotland, but falling straight down). Been going most of the night, the web cams look fairly appalling...

First lifts at Stubai tomorrow I think!
ski holidays
clarky999, make the most of it as Sport Scheck have a huge Ski Test going on from Friday! They will be bringing coach loads over from Bavaria as well - deffo a place to be avoided this weekend Toofy Grin I'm going to Hintertux on Friday, then working through the shitty weather forecast for this weekend. If you can get up to Stubai on Monday it should be mega - loads of freshies to play in. wink
latest report
Stubai was really really nice yesterday. 15-20cms of fresh snow, mostly pretty wind affected (dense rather than crusty though) but very shreddable. Blue sky and bright sun. Some spots are still sharky, but cover is getting a lot better. Crammed in about 4 and a half hours skiing in the morning, then chilled out with a radler watching the Swiss freestyle team get rad in the park (crazy fools) before heading back to Innsbruck for work.

Small slide, on a surprisingly mellow slope given it was a level 2 day, pretty intense sun though. Still some hangfire left over, you can see the crack running from the crown to the cliff via a little rock:

ski holidays
Obergurgl opens on the 14th Nov, and looks pretty good already (video): https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151847111539888&set=vb.106254859887&type=2&theater

More snow at Stubai today, tomorrow, Monday...
snow conditions
Sölden opened up the Glacier Express 8-seater bubble link today as well as the 4-seater chairlift serving it and the Schwarzkogl mountain restaurant:

AKTUELLE INFO! Heute gehen folgende Anlagen in Betrieb:
8 EUB Gletscherexpress
4 SK Einzeiger
Piste 24
Restaurant Schwarzkogl
latest report
Soelden looked like it had plenty of snow, looking over from Stubai the other day.
latest report
Great day at Stubai today, with Horizon, Irbis(?) and my gf. Things are starting to fill in after all the snowfall, so we scored a couple of nice little powdery couloirs that only just came into condition. Slight error of judgement on my part resulted in a 20m or so hike to clear a rocky part on out last run down to the middle station, but overall plenty of powder and some nice terrain that I hadn't skied in a while. Cold, windy and really variable visibility (and pretty variable snow in places), but all part of the fun. Snowing as we left, so tomorrow should be good too!
snow report
Update on Sölden: the Gigijoch lifts open tomorrow. These are the lifts that will be open IN ADDITION TO the Glacier ones:
8 EUB Giggijoch
Mini Giggijoch
4 SK Silberbrünnel
8 SK Giggijoch
4 SL Hainbachkar (nur Freitag bis Sonntag)
4 SL Seekogl
8 EUB Gletscherexpress
4 SB Einzeiger

So you can now get from the village to the glacier on skis. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
Really nice afternoon skiing at the Obergurgl opening day. Decent visibility (no battery in camera Mad ), snow varied from lovely wind-blown powder to horrific wind-scoured crust depending on slope. Possible to ski all the way down, but not on (open) piste. Most of the offpiste still needs to fill in a bit, but it's snwoing now. Clouds descended and started snowing just as we got to the car, by the time we'd driven down the valley it was 1ºC and snowing in Oetz (800m), and it's snowing here too in Hungerburg (above Innsbruck) at 700m - enough to cover the grass in the garden already.
ski holidays
I had an enjoyable, though strenuous, weekend on the Stubai glaciers ("out of area" for me usually), on a two-day course. The weather was superb, blue cloudless skies most of the time (a little more cloud midday on Sunday but even that cleared away again). Here's the view from the Gamsgarten area...

On Saturday the snow was perfect. With it having snowed on Friday even the pistes were softish, though that did tend towards making them more bumpy than usual. On Sunday the pistes had hardened (and there were rather fewer bumps) but they were still in great condition. Off piste plenty of rocks were still showing through.

The area is a good deal more extensive than the Kitzsteinhorn at Kaprun where I had been earlier in the week, at least at this time of year. Probably more interesting too but I wasn't the only one to have discovered that. Here is the line for the T-bar up to the Daunscharte...

However, the queues did give me time to catch my breath Very Happy. And by about two in the afternoon the crowds were thinning out and there weren't queues worth mentioning any more. This is the Wildspitz chairlift, looking over towards the Ötztal...

As it was, some had methods of shortening the queues - two's company, three's ... snowboarders (on the Gaisskarferner T-bar)...

All in all, a fine weekend - and late in the day I found that the Stubai lift company had even prepared a piste on the Daunferner especially for me...

And very enjoyable it was too.

The journey home was slow to start with, with nose-to-tail traffic edging along from Fulpmes to the autobahn. I suppose this was mostly skiers, though I did wonder if it wasn't rather tourists out to admire the Europabrücke, celebrating its opening 50 years ago to the day Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy