Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2013 / 2014

Poster: A snowHead
vfr750cbr, Welcome to to snowHead

To PM (Private Message) Look at the top right of the screen. You will see a link called 'Send/Read' Messages. Click that, then click the blue / white 'new post' icon top left.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
thefatcontroller wrote:
Tracks of the top of Derby today. Very nice.

Perhaps my memory is going, but I don't remember that fence. I am sure I have been off through there many times in the past without hopping over a fence.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ringingmaster, I think it IS your memory... we've been in Arcs since 2002, and it has always been there!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ringingmaster, The fence has been there ever since the Grizzley lift was built. It is just that you have never seen a photograph from this position before
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ringingmaster, I only think it appeared in the last few years as well, I think it was a year or 2 after Grizzly lift
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Must be lower down that we go off to the right.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Couple of views from Les Arcs today. The first is looking down a cloud-filled Tarentaise valley, and the second shows piste prep taking place above Arc 1800.

latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar, Wow. Looks great!!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
looks like a ploughed field.

Great pics
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We are nipping over for a sneaky 3 night break on the 18th Jan (my birthday). Cannot wait. More pics please guys!! Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ringingmaster, red 27, it's very rough and ready there at the moment as the pisteurs are just moving lots of snow around, I guess to smooth out the hollows a little before finishing the piste preparation.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Heading out to vallandry next weekend, loving the early photos and looking forward to the run off the top of the derby Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ringingmaster wrote:
Must be lower down that we go off to the right.

Yes drop down a bit there is plenty of places to go off on the right, there is a nice easyish route I take the kids when the snow is good.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Been checking the forecast for the next few days and not much sign of fresh snow yet. At least it is staying cold so the snow should be well packed down higher up. Think it is time for the snow dances to start or it could be a little tough over the busy period. But, hey!! there will still be snow to ski on so do not get to depressed. Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The Season starts in Les Arcs this weekend so time to get the posts started.

Finally finished posting the photos of my warm up days. Sorry nothing from Les Arcs this year, they do not open the lifts early so I visited other places for a change. Hope you still enjoy the photos and they get you in the mood for the winter. If you are interested click on this link.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.562235600519577.1073741833.195692797173861&type=3

The Les Arcs Film Festival is also on this week for those that are around. Should be some interesting films to watch.

http://2013.lesarcs-filmfest.com/home/home.html

The lifts open in Les Arcs on Saturday for the start of the season. Hope to meet up with some of you for a first day ski or drink. Send me a PM or Post a message on my facebook page if you are around and fancy meeting up. There are a few of us already planning a little ski around on Saturday and Sunday to stretch the legs a little.

Sorry to bring bad news, but I was looking at the forecast for the coming days http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/les-arcs-bourg-st-maurice/73700

and http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Les-Arcs/6day/mid

Still not any sign of fresh snow, at least it is still cold. The snow we have should last a while, but as it becomes busy I fear that some areas might become rather worn. Fingers crossed for more snow before the holiday period.

If you are planning to come out by train or passing through Bourg St Maurice, Polaire Star will be open from the first day of the season for ski and snowboard rentals. If you do not want the hassle of carrying your own gear to and from the Funi to where you are staying if you are in Bourg, you can leave your stuff at the shop for a small charge. See the link. Remember this season you must pay to park your car at the Funi. http://www.polairestar.com/

I will start posting daily updates shortly. I hope you all have good skiing this winter. Enjoy!!
latest report
Today was the first day of the season at Les Arcs and most of Arc 1600, Arc 1800, Peisey Vallandry and the Arc 2000 bowl was open. Even the Grand Col and the Aiguille Rouge. We did not have to stand in a queue all day even though it was quite busy for the first day of the season. The snow conditions on almost all pistes across the whole area were good for so early in the season. A few patches coming through by the afternoon in areas which were well skied, but overall an excellent first days skiing. The Clouds stayed a bit longer than I would have liked, but by the afternoon the sun was out and the sky was blue.

We even managed to find so passable soft snow off piste in a few sheltered areas despite the high winds of the last few weeks. You can ski down to all the stations that are open without problem and they still have plenty of spare snow around to keep the pistes in good condition over the coming weeks. It was cold so the snow cannons have been doing a good job of topping up the snow so although new snow would be great. Not a bad start to the season.

I will try and post some photos later, but time to get ready to go out now. More to follow.

It was very busy in the ski shop first thing this morning and the funi was packed to get up onto the slopes. So busy they needed to run extra funi's for the first hour every 10 min. If you need to hire ski gear and you are down in Bourg or need to get a ski pass, my advice is to do it online in advance. Ski shop web page. http://www.polairestar.com/ Online ski pass booking: http://lesarcs.paradiski.com/ Hope this helps with your planning.
snow conditions
Thanks for the update - out for the first time in January and can't wait!
ski holidays
Arrived in Arc 2000 late this afternoon. Looks ok snow wise but will find out more tomorrow!
snow report
Have posted the photos of today on my facebook page in the December, Season 2013 - 2014 album. Here are a few to get you interested. Click on the link below to see more.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.575273612549109.1073741834.195692797173861&type=3

The Arpette and Bois de l'Ours Chairs.

The 'White Lady' in the background. A blue sky afternoon. A nice first day of the season!

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 18-12-13 20:38; edited 1 time in total
snow report
To help you all get in the mood for your holiday and for those out already. Here is a copy of the daily update which is posted on my Les Arcs Winter facebook page each morning by 8.30am to help you plan your day on the slopes. Hope you find it interesting reading. If you want to receive this info each morning during your holiday you will need to like my Les Arcs Winter page. https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter

Hope those that have just arrived have a good holiday. If you fancy meeting u for a drink later today, I will be in George's Wine Bar in Arc 1950 after skiing today from 5pm.

2013 - 2014 SEASON DAILY UPDATE: Sunday 15 December

WHAT IT IS LIKE OUTSIDE:
Blue sky with a few clouds and cold right now. I can see all the mountain peaks around and there is a frost on the cars. Mind the black ice when walking or driving until the sun warms everything. If you follow the sun during the day, it should be a great day for riding.

SLOPE CONDITIONS: (Info by ADS on slope daily analysis.)
Altitude 1620/1800 m 2040 m 2400 m 3000 m
Hauteur de neige 20 cm 45 cm 62 cm 80 cm
Température -3.5, -3.6, -5, -8, (at 8am)
Risque d’avalanche (1 à 5) : 1 risque FAIBLE
Dernière chute de neige : 5 cm - vendredi 29 novembre 2013

RECOMMENDED PISTES: (Info Provided by the Security de Piste.)
SECTEUR 1600 : CACHETTE
SECTEUR 1800 : VAGERE
SECTEUR 2000 : GRAND COL
SECTEUR PEISEY-VALLANDRY : OURS

LIFT OPENINGS: (Info provided by ADS Lift company.)
SECTEUR PEISEY-VALLANDRY : OUVERT except GRIZZLY / COMBE / PARCHEY
SECTEUR 1600 : OUVERT except MONT BLANC / SNOWPARK / CLOCHERET / VEZAILLE / MILLERETTE / TOMMELET /
SECTEUR 1800 : OUVERT except VILLARDS / CHARMETOGER / GRAND RENARD / JARDIN ALPIN /
SECTEUR 2000 : OUVERT except COMBORCIERE / PLAGNETTES / LAC DES COMBES / FLAMME OLYMPIQUE
SECTEUR VILLAROGER : Closed. Forecast to open Thurs 19 DEC. 2013

LIAISONS: (Info provided by ADS.)
AIGUILLE ROUGE : OUVERT
TRANSARC 1 : OUVERT TRANSARC 2 : OUVERT/Open
LIAISON ARCS 1800 VERS ARCS 2000 : OUVERT/Open
LIAISON ARCS 2000/VILLAROGER : FERME/Closed
VANOISE EXPRESS : Closed. Forecast to open Sat 21 DEC. 2013
LIAISON MONTCHAVIN-LA PLAGNE : FERME/Closed

NEWS OF THE DAY / TIP OF THE DAY: (Info by ADS lift company.)
With sunny weather today, enjoy the high sector of Aiguille Rouge and Grand Col respecting the safety rules

COUNCIL SAFETY / SECURITY ADVICE: (Info by Security de Piste.)
A helmet is strongly recommended. Prudence in all circumstances, remain able to control your speed and stopping distance .
FOLLOW THE SIGNS , RESPECT NATURE.

Have a good day!

http://www.polairestar.com/
snow report
That is really interesting - thanks
snow report
Enjoyed a lovely day on the slopes today, snow was good, sun was shining, family were all present, beers were cold! What more could you want!
latest report
Blue Sky today and slowly became warmer as the day progressed.

We managed to ski the whole of the Les Arcs ski area that was open. Here is a general overview of piste conditions across the whole Les Arcs ski domain.

The pistes were a little busy in some places and we even had to wait two or three minutes at a few of the main lifts. Managed to get up the Aiguille Rouge and back down the black to Arc 2000. Very nice.

Looked over the back into the National Park. The snow covering is still OK, but it could do with a top up everywhere off piste with a lot of wind blown slabs and breakable crust about. Later in the day we did find some nice soft untracked snow which was fun to ski all the way down into the higher section of the forest.

The pistes that were open are in reasonable condition and some have a firm layer of snow that helps you hold your turns when carving, but many are also hard packed and in the more worn areas coming into stations and lifts it is starting to become a little icy in places.

They have had the snow cannons blasting on some pistes and you had to avoid some rather large snow hills on the pistes down into Peisey and Vallandry today. The lower half of the race piste in Arc 1800 is not presently possible to ski.

Overall the conditions in Les Arcs are reasonable for this time of year and with the amount of snow around. The resort should make it through the holiday period without to many problems. For all those coming out, you should have a great time. However more fresh snow would be nice and they are now talking about a little snowfall later in the week or next week. MAYBE!!

I will post some pictures from today later.
latest report
Heading out next Friday for Christmas and getting excited now.

Really appreciate your updates from the resort to feed my curiosity!

snowcrazy, your FB page is certainly liked snowHead
snow report
Snow on Thursday? Very Happy Seems likely according to the forecast! May need to change the skiis! Laughing
latest report
Another fun day comes to an end. Will post details later, but pleased to say the crowds from the first weekend of the season have all left. No queues and few people on the pistes. Seemed to be mostly British students. I hear there are nearly 2000 of them around. The snow was also better today as the mix of sun, cold nights and warm afternoons is making the pistes turn into that chalky snow I like. Even the off piste is starting to become soft and fun in the afternoons.

Here is a photo at sunset today and one from the Acro day at the Vanoise Express. Full moon tomorrow night. If you want to see the photos from the Acro day on the Vanoise Express check out my facebook page.

ARc 1950 and Arc 2000

Acro on the Vanoise Express

More to follow later,, time to go out.
snow conditions
Lots of uni students in Arc 1800, Tignes and Val d'isere atm, this I know from personal contacts. Word of mouth from friends of friends suggests lots elsewhere too. However, apart from a few runs we did not find many areas very busy today. Snow was a bit iffy in places, icy at the busy parts towards the end of some runs and a tad slushy in some areas. I really hope it does snow towards the end of the week as forecast, otherwise our second week may be difficult! My madcap youngsters found some good off piste, one broke a binding and had a long ski home on one ski. Hubby also took a nasty tumble and has a very sore shoulder, arm and foot!

Both mini supermarkets in Les Arcs 2000 have a really poor selection of foodstuffs, there is no Boulangerie (bread and croissants etc ordered from supermarket very disappointing and v limited choice) Boucherie, or Pharmacie. I am really glad I shopped In Bourg St Maurice before coming up, and will probably do so again during this trip. Have not checked out food availability in Arc 1950 yet but will probably do so in the next few days! May not be the best resort to be self catering, everywhere else I have ever been has been much better except perhaps one small Bavarian resort! But we are a long way up a mountain with all the pros and cons that brings!

Arcs 2000 is definitely the most British ski resort I have ever been to!
ski holidays
CaravanSkier, There is a good boulangerie in Arc 1950 and a Spar that's well stocked too (easy to walk to via the gondola). The only pharmacy is at 1600.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

The only pharmacy is at 1600.

Is there really not a pharmacy at 1800. I always found the little shop at Arc 1600 adequately stocked. And of course if you want more then the funicular to Bourg is an option.

CaravanSkier, Have you never been to Val d'Isere or Meribel then?
snow conditions
There are parapharmacies at 2000 and 1950, not sure about 1800. They stock all the stuff other than medicines, so if you need Nurofen, you have to go to a pharmacy and as far as I know, 1600 has the only one.
snow conditions
Just booked to come out with Ski Beat on the 4th Jan in their Fleur de Neige chalet. It's just next to the Vaniose cable car, went their a couple of years ago in March so hoping we have as good a time as then - probably won;t be as warm though!

Looking forward to it already Very Happy
snow report
Neraida, Thank you, will probably pop down to the boulangerie & Spar in 1950 at some point. The parapharmacie in 2000 did have what I needed, and you can place orders through the tourist office for any medicines you need and have them sent up. I was just rather surprised that there was no pharmacie as they seem to have them every where in France

johnE, never been to Meribel no, and we have only skied for the odd day at Val d'isere so never did any food shopping.

Despite any minor food difficulties, mentioned only for information purposes for future visitors, I am really glad we choose to be here, really easy access to the best available skiing given the weather!

Interesting! this week there is a 25 percent reduction on lift pass prices, which has been applied to passes extending into next week
snow conditions
The conditions today continued to be cold at the start of the day, warming up later and becoming quite pleasant by late afternoon as the sun went down. Managed to get around the whole ski area again today. The pistes that are open were holding up well with a layer of chalky snow on a hard base making carving quite fun. The off piste in the afternoon softens up enough to be enjoyed and the more sheltered areas above Vallandry seem to offer the best light snow, but higher up on the Aiguille Rouge was also fun with soft snow mixed in with harder patches in the 'piste nature' areas. Les Arcs is not busy now with mainly British students, people here for the film festival and a some taking the chance of an early holiday.

The French Junior racers were out on the Cachette piste today. Some of these youngsters can really ski! The Arpette restaurant was rocking at the end of the day with the student party and there is a new owner of the Altiport restaurant near the snow park.

The Snowpark is starting to be built and should be open by the weekend. More pistes and lifts are being prepared and most should be open by the weekend if there is enough snow.

Overall I think the conditions are good for the start of the season, but they will need more snow soon as the pistes become busy during the holiday period. Pictures to follow later. Very Happy

Here is something you might enjoy. Arco at the Vanoise Express.

http://youtube.com/v/eGjRvj52xJs
ski holidays
First signs of weather approaching. Mt Blanc is "putting its hat on", that's always a good sign:

Cloud beginning to approach, as seen from the top of the Aiguille Rouge.

Piste conditions are a bit mixed, with busy places very polished and chalky snow pushed to the margins. Other areas have firm but grippy snow, especially if you get your skis over to big edge angles. Hopefully we'll get enough snow over the next 48 hours to freshen things in time for Christmas week, but caution should be exercised about off-piste as the rather old upper layer of the current snow is likely to form a weak layer in the snow pack when fresh snow builds on top of it. Pay close attention to snow and avalanche reports over the next few days.
snow conditions
A group of us went over the other side today (drove round and parked at the La Roche chair) to play on the Bellecote Glacier and in the bowl before it get's skied out now that the old itineraries are being reopened as 'Piste Natures' this season (if they ever open them).

The pistes on the way over to the Glacier and coming back to La Roche parking were all in reasonable condition. Hard packed with firm chalky snow on top helping you to grip, but also the odd patch of ice AND some small annoying stones (some not so small) that would dig into your ski bases. Be careful stopping and remain in control, the pistes are quite fast everywhere right now.

Once off pistes we found very mixed conditions. The glacier area had excellent snow cover and was fun to ski. The entrance to the Bellecote Bowl has been changed slightly and the old wooden barriers on the path are now gone. The snow changed rapidly from crust, to slab, to soft snow, to crud and everything in between. I really enjoyed the long steep chalky faces we skied. It made people concentrate on their turns. The bottle factor !! played it's part today! Then came the soft snow and the chance for nice easy turns. I would say we managed to find just about every variation of snow texture today. Excellent training even if some did find it a challenge. Remember if you do go off piste make sure you know where you are going, have all the safety gear and if you are not sure, take a guide. It is tricky out there now to find good snow amongst all the difficult stuff or stay on the 'Pistes Natures'. When open the 'Piste Natures' should be avalanche safe and still really challenging and fun to ski.

Overall there is about as much ski area and lifts open in La Plagne as in Les Arcs with the glacier area open in La Plagne today.

After a long morning we had a late lunch and then a few more piste runs and a photo stop at the top of the Funiplagne with mostly clear blue sky all day and not the winds that were predicted. One thing for the kids, it is worth coming over for the tunnel down to Plagne Bellecote from the Roche de Mio. Just as good as last year, maybe even better.

For those coming out to Les Arcs it is well worth buying the 'one day explorer ticket' for La Plagne with your weeks ski pass. There is loads to ski in La Plagne and it makes a nice change from Les Arcs, plus you get to ride on the Vanoise Express as it opens this Saturday.

Hope all those out for Christmas have a great holiday on both sides of the Vanoise Express. I still favour Les Arcs, but the La Plagne side comes a close second. Very Happy Very Happy

Photos will have to wait until tomorrow as I am off out now.
snow conditions
Completely overcast this morning, first time I've not been able to see the sky in three weeks! No snow yet, so it seems to be coming in a bit later than the local forecast (which said it would start by the beginning of the day). Looking at the snowfall radar I'd guess it will start to snow in the next hour or two, and then should continue until the middle of the day tomorrow (fingers crossed!). Currently +1 degrees at 1800m, with no wind.
ski holidays
Web cams beginning to show dark, ugly, snow laden clouds Cool Cool
latest report
thefatcontroller, Snow is just about starting to fall here Toofy Grin
snow report
Snow falling steadily in Arc 2000 now!
ski holidays
CaravanSkier, Im beyond happy to hear you say that. 11th jan and im there
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy