Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2013 / 2014

Poster: A snowHead
Yeah I've never seen the site before and was somewhat baffled as skiclubgb and snow forecast were similar in their predictions. Would be nice though hey! wink keeping a close eye (not that it makes a scrap of difference!) - heading out in 22nd. Hope the good weather keeps it up!!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Conditions were fantastic in Les Arcs today. Sunshine and blue skies but cold enough to keep the snow nice all day.

Les Arcs never really factored in my list of places to go but it's a fun place to ski and has some great runs and gorgeous views. The architecture didn't bother me as much as I thought it would.

I only had a day there but I'd definitely consider coming back.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snowing all last night and today. Great conditions and hopefully even better tomorrow. Terrible 20hr journey though thanks to the winds at gatwick on Friday night. Left home at 0600 on Saturday and arrived at 0230 on Sunday morning. Time to give driving a try I think.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
forecast for next week looks good! 6 days to go.... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyone local have any updates?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Raven, glad your day turned out so well. snowHead

Lemond, the winds affected driving too..... my niece was booked onto a cancelled Portsmouth ferry so carried on to Dover and had to pay £240 to switch to the Tunnel. Some people queued for hours at Dover to get onto ferries very delayed by the storms and others reported hazardous driving conditions in northern France. When weather is really bad there's no easy answer.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Total bluebird day today Very Happy
Conditions faultless from first to last lift with great grippy snow all the way down to the bottom!!
Snow forecast for tomorrow so guess those of you coming out next week will have a blast
Enjoy!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A couple of photos from today. A little writeup here.

20th February by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

20th February by BadgerSpade, on Flickr
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
martinperry, that sounds great Happy looks like it's going to snow tomorrow, Sunday a bit, then weds I think. Some bluebird days would be brill.

ArseCaptain, perfect!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ArseCaptain, Nice one, good reports getting lost elsewhere. Cool
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
2nd hand but friends were in Arc 1950 for the 1st time last week, they had been to Les Arcs before. Conditions were amazing, lots of powder all week and often so much it was unbashed and on piste. Nice. Also they really liked Arc 1950 (whats not to like?). All in all conditions are great out there and it is snowing heavy again this morning and to low as well. 2 weeks 5 days . Cool Cool
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Here's a few photos from the last week

Sunday 23rd February

23rd February by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

Saturday 1st March

1st March - Malgovert by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

Sunday 2nd March

2nd March by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

Some brief reports + more photos if you click the dates. Snowing heavily at the moment!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just returned from an annual 4 day lads (snowboard) trip to Les Arcs. Snow - was awesome, some of the best cross resort conditions i've had in 14 years of these trips. Visibility, a bit pants frankly... Drifting cloud and white outish conditions. Best vis on Sunday, where per photo in post above, we got a cloud inversion.

Black / Natur runs in great condition. Unpisted lumpy, but soft snow and hence rather fun and challenging. Ecuriels though, big dissapointment... Normally this stays pisted, and if it snows few intermediate skiers make it over to it and hence it rarely moguls... And stays nice and fast for a boarder. This weekend thou, it was mogulled even on some of the less steep sections. Maybe it is now becoming more popular as 'people' realise its 'black' status is flattering to say the least.

Snowpark, so, i'm too aged to be big on jumps... But it improves every year, and this year was packed with all grades of jumps and rails/pipes/boxes.

New restaurant this year, off the Grand Melezes underneath the Transarc towards 1800. Worth a mention and a recommend. Something different, they serve up wok cooked noodles. I went for the Thai curry chicken with noodles. And they were lovely. Returned 2 days later and ahd squid and prawn sweet and sour noodles. Good chunky chips (not frites) and the pork ribs recommended by a mate also.

Lastly, a shout out for the Arvi Bar in 1600. Seems to have changed hands or staff this year. But still as welcoming, comfortable and with a great panaroma window out over the valley to Bourg.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That's me arrived at Les Arc 1950 for the week, was zero degrees at 9pm when I got here. Will post my findings after tomorrow!

Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sparkzter, Enjoy Smile Friends are there at the moment & report hot temps - they are enjoying the water splash which is now open
snow report
genepi, any idea where the splash is? Haven't come across it today.

As predicted, bluebird today and warm. Pistes holding out well, good and firm early doors, soften as the day goes on. Was surprised it wasn't more slushy at the end of the day although I didn't get lower than Arc 1800 today. Mainly up the rouge and in the 2000 bowl. Was fairly busy in places but nothing to bad.

Heading paisley direction tomorrow.

It's nice to be skiing in barely any layers!! Very Happy
latest report
sparkzter, It's by the Altiport resto, just near the snow park in 1800/1600. Near the Arpette lift.

http://youtube.com/v/NbBu6pIZ-l8
snow conditions
Quote:

North
snow report
johnE wrote:
Quote:

North

Good old I pad typo, often head Paisley direction, but that's on the way to the indoor snow dome! Ha.

Oops, Paisey direction tomorrow.

Embarassed
ski holidays
genepi wrote:
sparkzter, It's by the Altiport resto, just near the snow park in 1800/1600. Near the Arpette lift.

http://youtube.com/v/NbBu6pIZ-l8

Thanks
ski holidays
Or there's this one:

http://youtube.com/v/1sO_By0Jt4g

I'll let you guess which one the participants is me...
snow report
What's happened to snowcrazy? Has he gone to Serre Chevalier/morphed into Weathercam? wink
ski holidays
Pedantica, He is working we are told?
snow conditions
thefatcontroller, ah
ski holidays
OK - lift pass query time... (again!)
Does anyone know how much a daily extension is to get across the Vanoise - so I can work out how many trips we need to make to make a full 2 week paradiski pass work out better than a Les Arcs pass with occasional extensions?

With a group of 10, staying for a variety of periods, then we've various discounts being taken advantage of - owner discount, end of season discount, family pass discount etc., but the price for three people doing a fortnight of Paradiski passes is still verrry high. However, I can't find, anywhere, the cost of a day's extension to visit La Plagne (the Decouverte is only 6 days, so that doesn't help for a 13 day trip).

Anyone got any ideas or ... have they removed that option all together?
ski holidays
Arctic Roll, adult extension is 32.50, reduced rate is 24.50.

http://www.lesarcsnet.com/lifts/ski/prices.html
snow report
codger, Wasn't sure if the quote:

Quote:
Extra day pass only valid on 6 or more days passes and on last day

applied to an extension day for Les Arcs, or a trip to La Plagne - your interpretation is that it is the day trip. Thanks.

We think we're going to wait until we see the conditions as we get there to decide pass type purchase for these, since for 13 days, there are no on-line early booking benefits.

Unlike the end of season BOGOF which has to be bought prior to the Wednesday before you go; and SamediJeSki. which can't be printed until the Wednesday, but for which you need a piece of paper for each ticket, even though it says you can have up to 4 skiers on each voucher

(so you need 3 copies of the voucher...they won't photocopy it for you, but happy if you go across the road in Bourg and get copies...Stereotypical French bureaucracy at its finest wink )

Ahhh,,, the art of saving money!
latest report
Arctic Roll, When you over? We are there again 22-29th March. Haven't bought passes yet, will wait to see weather. If snowy will stick to Les Arcs as we will board and we don't go very far, very fast Embarassed Laughing , if its icy we will ski and take Paradski. No rush though.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

What's happened to snowcrazy? Has he gone to Serre Chevalier/morphed into Weathercam?

Laughing
snow conditions
thefatcontroller, fraid we get there on 5th April, so will miss you. And, if the weather stays as warm as they are predicting for this week, probably most of the snow too!
latest report
Spring has arrived.

11th March by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

More here
snow report
Arctic Roll, One day we will meet Cool Fingers crossed, sniff of a weather change late next week and some fresh.
snow conditions
Snow Conditions update from the piste 15 March 2014:

Blue Sky and plenty of snow!! Have just spent the last few days catching up on some of my favorite routes 'on and off' piste. Skied all over Les Arcs area including down to Villaroger and Piesey Vallandry.

All the pistes are still well covered in most places and you can get down to all stations without any problem. Typical spring conditions with hard packed snow on pistes in the morning lower down, becoming soft in the afternoons with higher pistes fun to ski most of the day.

The off piste is very cruddy and hard to ski where the sun has caused it to melt and re - freeze, but in the shady areas there is great chalky snow and even some very nice spring conditions if you catch it at the right time. The back of Aiguille Rouge down to Villaroger was excellent for this time of year and the Canadian Couloir on the Bellecote North Face was really nice right to the restaurant at the bottom.

The Snowpark above Arc 1800/1600 is really fun this season and the Waterslide by the Altiport restaurant is still the best free entertainment on the mountain.

Great to be out having a play again and look forward to seeing people in the next few weeks.

For those coming out, you are in for a good time with loads going on. Today we are off to the La Plagne side so another update to follow later with photos if i get home early enough. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
We were in Les Arcs three season ago (I think) early April for a week. The season in General had been a bit poor and when we got there there were very few runs open below 2000m.

Thinking of returning early April this year, but would like to be able to ski some of the lower runs, we're not worried by it being warm and slushy as long as there is some snow.... Given snow depth and current conditions how likely would this be (all caveats accepted!)?

We don't need to book anything yet as we're thinking of just getting some flights to Chambery and then picking an area closer to the time based on conditions, but Les Arcs is high in our list of places we'd like to go to at this stage.
latest report
Arriving Saturday night for the week. Predictions for snow fall range from lots (potentially), freeze line high (potentially) to freeze line low (potentially). Going to be interesting to see how it pans out, could be epic. Cool
snow report
I am heading to Arc 2000 on Saturday. I went high as I was worried about recent hot weather and wanted best chance of good snow.

Now I am worried about a) buses reaching resort in snow on Saturday, and b) all lifts being closed on sat/sun/mon by snow and cloud, leaving me stranded without skiing, something I have just read happens sometimes in 2000. Does anyone know if my fears are justified?
snow conditions
WellingtonBoot, Relax, we will be there to. We have been in Arc 2000 before in huge snowfall and all was fine. This isn't the UK, they can cope with heavy snow and once it brightens up a bit they clear and open quickly.

Heavy snow is forecast but this is the Alps wink Laughing
snow conditions
thefatcontroller, Ok... i will try to relax. I find it difficult right before ski trips - desire for everything to be perfect mixed with childish excitement. Of course, I haven't had a trip featuring serious problems, and most problems are minor once I'm there and skiing...

I know they are prepared for heavy snow. I just read a whole string of reports a couple of hours ago talking about Arc 2000 getting cut off and how all the lifts close in bad weather. I am surprised to hear that though - I was in Val Thorens for 3 days of consecutive heavy snowfall, totalling a metre, once and very little was ever shut despite the white out and the lack of trees. Are you going to Arc 2000 too? Have you been before? Any words of advice / hot tips / other reassuring and helpful tidbits?
snow report
In heavy snow they close a lot of runs in 2000 until after they have blasted it all often marmotte is open but the wait is long as every one heads to the few open lifts,havering said that when they open them it will be epic,which I was going Laughing
snow report
WellingtonBoot, Don't worry about it. They don't close all the lifts and there is always a way to get further down the mountain. The pisteurs are remarkably quick at clearing pistes and the only lifts that tend to remain closed for the entire day are the Varet and Plagnettes and that's only usually if it's really windy. You won't be stuck.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy