Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2013 / 2014

Poster: A snowHead
It's Been Snowing again!!

thefatcontroller, you beat me too the pic. Looks good.

Blue sky and fresh snow on the mountains. Has the winter really started to arrive. I hope so. Soon have the skis back on. The high passes are closed and there is enough snow to start forming a base higher up if the cold spell lasts.

Is it time to start praying to the snow gods!!

Take a look at the webcams. It looks good. Enjoy!!

http://m.webcam-hd.com/lesarcs
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks Boris - we are almost booked up with evo2 now. Been a bit of a struggle getting hold of them so far. I get the impression that they are not in the office too often this time of year. Just trying to negotiate a discount now!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Heading for Les Arcs in Jan, praying for some powder!

http://youtube.com/v/Me_Tk4Y5BSA
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm taking 3 noobs out to Les Arcs in March for my 4th trip to the area - I really can't think of too many other places better to learn. Can't wait to see their faces for the first time Very Happy Will be glad when the indoor lessons are finished as well - hard on my emotions as well as my wallet !!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Les Arcs is looking good. Here are a couple of pics posted by Herve Gouy, Ski Instructor in Arc 2000 and Thibaud Duchosal Professional Freerider from Les Arcs out playing in the powder on the Aiguille Rouge recently.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201765426970628&set=a.10201765418530417.1073741838.1629949748&type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152003003114618&set=a.434472264617.192759.311705364617&type=1&theater

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 19-11-13 20:32; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's looking pretty good snowHead

I'll be in Peisey from the end of next week, looking forward to taking my skis for a walk before the lifts open Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ArseCaptain, Hi and are you here for the season? If you do go up, make sure you post some pics when you get there so we can all see what it looks like thanks. Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowcrazy,
Thibaud is a great guy. But you know that right?

Sponsored by Arc1950, he took the owners out off piste last year a couple of times - having grown up here, the guy really knows the area like no-one else, and where/when to ski/not to ski. To the extent of giving MiniRoll (you recall my daughter?) and other kids of 10+ advice on safe areas or aka "where to stop after a pitch to avoid avalanche risk" when we were in the Vanoise, skiing the chutes. Awesome day.

He's her hero.
And let's face it, possibly mine too - although they do say never let your heroes be younger than you
(... and NEVER wear a jersey with a name or number of a player that is younger than you!)

See you in January.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

ArseCaptain, Hi and are you here for the season? If you do go up, make sure you post some pics when you get there so we can all see what it looks like thanks.

Yes, and don't worry, I will provide photos Cool
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ArseCaptain, are you in Peisey or Plan Peisey for the season?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
julietp, 'Just' Peisey; will have to cope with the extra 10 minutes commute Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I done the season there couple of seasons ago, great place, great locals. where are you working / staying? you'll be driving to the vanoise hotel to park before you know it rather than take the lobster pots up I bet.... we used to !!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I done the season there couple of seasons ago, great place, great locals. where are you working / staying? you'll be driving to the vanoise hotel to park before you know it rather than take the lobster pots up I bet.... we used to !!

I think around half way along Route de la Courbassiere. Not entirely sure as I've not been there yet! I'll be doing software development contracting work over the internet whilst I'm there, so shouldn't need to miss any powder days for work Very Happy

Are the lobsters really slow then?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
well its the walking in the village as it gets really really icy (black ice) as the village is in the shade for the first half of the season, so by the time its sunny later on, too lazy to bother with them and the Vanoise hotel is a nice end of day beer in the sun most of the season. a lot of slipping accidents !!

also at the top of the lobsters is an elevator, which was not working for three weeks early Jan and kept being closed, so just found it better to drive up and ski down to peisey lift or V express

you are not to far from Gregs bar where you will spend a lot of late nights (you will wonder why on your first visit) but everyone goes there as its the only bar.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ArseCaptain, Look forward to seeing your pics. If you visit my facebook page, Les Arcs Winter https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter, you will see loads of pics from last season of places to go around your area for great powder. Make sure you buy the full Paradiski ski pass before the end of November online http://lesarcs.paradiski.com/ so you get the discount. Give me a shout when you are around if you can take time off on powder days. I guess if you are working for yourself you can do as you please. We often meet up at the VE for trips across the other side. Do you ski or board?

Time for the photos to begin for this season.

Here are a couple of pics from the Planetski page. The new art work on the Vanoise Express looks good. To read the article go to this link. http://www.planetski.eu/news/5503

snow conditions
Quote:
ArseCaptain, Look forward to seeing your pics

There's something very wrong about that sentence...
ski holidays
red 27, you must have a really sick mind Very Happy I am far to innocent as I still do not get what you are saying Toofy Grin Hope you like the photos I just posted or linked to. More to come as the season get's going.
snow report
Quote:

There's something very wrong about that sentence...

I don't really know why I chose this user name, or why I continue to use it Toofy Grin
Quote:

Give me a shout when you are around if you can take time off on powder days. I guess if you are working for yourself you can do as you please. We often meet up at the VE for trips across the other side. Do you ski or board

I do indeed set my own hours, so I'll be working hard when the weather/snow is bad so I have free time when the going is good! We (my wife and I) both ski, although she's only done a few weeks so isn't so keen on more adventurous stuff. Hopefully I can train her up over the winter! I'll definitely be up for meeting up to ski, would be good to see some of the less obvious routes!
snow report
snowcrazy, I do have a very sick mind you're quite right.

I don't like the photos you've posted to be honest, but that's a matter of personal taste and I thank you for posting them nonetheless and look forward to many more. Those graphics give me a migraine and the cables on the Vanoise look rusty again to my eyes. My advice to the Les Arcs lift company re graphics would be to paint a picture of Samantha Lewthwaite on the Transarc and hope one of Obama's drones scores a bullseye.

ArseCaptain, Stop me if you've heard this one before but if you get promoted will you be a RearAdmiral?
ski holidays
snowcrazy, I know it's the handbags birthday, but painting it like that has done it no favours - in my opinion. And I have to look at it from my balcony Confused
snow report
Hey folks, I agree with most of you. The graphics are not my idea of good art either and if, added to that you cannot see out of the windows. Well what a mistake. I know people that go on the Vanoise Express just to have a ride with the kids and look out the window. This could cost them money! Ops!! Big mistake! Toofy Grin On the other hand I have a couple of friends that hate going across on it because you are so high up and it worries them, at least they should be happy if they cannot see out of the windows anymore! Very Happy

Time to kick of the ski reports for the season!! Madeye-Smiley

Finally going to get my skis on for the first time this season at the weekend! We had snow down to the valley floor where I live last night and the mountains in the distance are very white.

Take a look at the webcams for Les Arcs, even if it starts getting warmer again, I think there is enough snow higher up to start forming a base now. Many places are opening early this season. Pity Les Arcs is not one of them, well not yet anyway.

http://m.webcam-hd.com/lesarcs
snow report
It looks like the snowcanons are running:

http://archives.webcam-hd.com/2013/11/22/1200/les-arcs_vagere/html5/mega_les-arcs_vagere.jpg
latest report
Tracks of the top of Derby today. Very nice.

ski holidays
snowcrazy, its probably got the type of graphics on that you get on buses that you can see through from inside
snow report
...yeah, probably the same as the buses and I expect (hope) it's got lots of little holes in it. Otherwise people might get quite travel sick I'd imagine!
ski holidays
That's a big snow fence.

Surprising how common they are in the Alps, Pyrenees and north America when you look out for them.
snow report
Peter S, I don't think it is a snow fence in the tradition of helping to catch wind blown snow. To the left of the fence is a gully which is strewn with massive boulders, which although covered by snow are still a considerable hazard. I'm guessing that the resort stuck that fence there is restrict the number of people tempted to head in to the gully..
ski holidays
Made it to the mountains again at last. Had a great day on the snow and another few days to go. Did it the lazy way and went up to Tignes and used the lifts. Will be in Val or Tignes again tomorrow even if it snows tonight as the lifts are open across the whole Espace Killy area this weekend. Should be good.

If you stay above 2000m the snow is in good condition in most places despite the high winds of the last week. There was still untracked powder to be found on my first day out in Tignes! Result! And even better, I was on my board for a change.

Will post a few photos shortly on my facebook page. The season for me has begun, I am very happy!!

If you want to go out on skins or snowshoes the conditions in Les Arcs are also very good higher up. Even if it gets warm, there should be a base to support most pistes in Les Arcs for the opening on the 15 Dec.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Had a great weekend on the snow. Just got back. Managed an extra day in the sun today as well. Nice!! Only had a quick look at Les Arcs as spent the time up at Val d'Isere and Tignes for the opening of the lifts and 'Ski and Snowboard free Test weekend'. Managed to test 10 snowboards and a few skis, but mostly snowboards this year. I did find a couple of snowboards I really liked so after ten years with my K2 Eldarado maybe it is time to get a new board.

With over a dozen ski and snowboard companies represented this was a great way of testing loads of kit for free. Well done Val d'Isere. I think Les Arcs should have something like this. I shall be letting them know.

I will post the photos of my days over on the Les Arcs winter page in the 'Pre-season album' for those that are interested.

When I drove up to visit a friend last night in Les Arcs, it did look like there is plenty of snow everywhere and with more forecast in a week plus the cold temps we have now, it should be a good start to the season.

Hope to see some of you on the first day when the lifts open.

I have also checked all the links on the opening page and made sure they are still working to help people with there planning.

Plus here are the links for the Carte Neige http://www2.ffs.fr/carteneige/online and Carrie Neige http://www.carreneige.com/en/index.php Insurance.

I have Carte Neige for the season which works well with my private medical cover and European Health card. But I do advise everyone to read all the small print before making your mind up what Ski Insurance to take. Everyone's needs are different. Hope that helps.
latest report
I'll finally be driving out to Peisey tomorrow night, looks like good weather for driving up the mountain on Wednesday.

snowcrazy, can you give any recommendations for private medical cover in France? I've gone for Carte Neige with season pass and have a EHIC, but have no idea where to start with health care. I get the impression that CN + EHIC could be sufficient; I'm not fussed about equipment / delay to travel etc, I just want to be brought down the mountain and not charged a bomb to get fixed.
ski holidays
I'm taking the family for a week on the 14 Dec, its only our second time after putting on skis for the first time in Borovets last Jan. Do you think it will all be open? Have gone dizzy looking at the snow reports thread and the myriad of forecasts for snow!! Cheers.
snow report
vfr750cbr wrote:
Do you think it will all be open?
Welcome to snowHeads.

Yes, it will open as scheduled. Conditions are generally excellent for the time of year, so the resort will be open a good proportion of the lifts and pistes.
ski holidays
vfr750cbr wrote:
I'm taking the family for a week on the 14 Dec, its only our second time after putting on skis for the first time in Borovets last Jan. Do you think it will all be open? Have gone dizzy looking at the snow reports thread and the myriad of forecasts for snow!! Cheers.

Borovets to Les Arcs, if only 1 run opens in Les Arcs that will be an improvement Laughing Laughing

Conditions look amazing. You will have a great time.
snow conditions
Thanks for the answers! Yes I can't wait. We did a cheap one in Borovets to see if we liked it. At the age of 52 I wish I had discovered skiing 30 years ago. The slopes at Bor were more ice than snow so really looking forward to going somewhere decent. Already planning a trip to Austria in March with the Mrs. I know its not this thread but I have managed to go from snowplough to parallel at Chill factore. Aiming to progress to carving on the trip, anyone have any recommendations for schools to provide lessons in Les Arcs?
snow conditions
vfr750cbr, Where in Les Arcs are you staying. Everyone Iv'e had come with me has been very satisfied with ESF in Arc 1600.

I had a friend who started skiing about the same age as you and he eventually became quite a competent skiing. But the last I heard of him was being evacuated just below the summit of Mont Blanc on a ski mountaineering trip.

I've skied at both Borovets and Les Arcs and in every way Les Arcs is much better and I really enjoyed my experiences in Borovets. I suspect you will be wanting to come out again before the season finishes.
snow report
I'll be at 1950.
Think I'll be taking it easy so there won't be any ski mountaineering!!!!
ski holidays
vfr750cbr, welcome to snowHead welcome to 1950

As a school, Spirit in 1950 will be fine for you: and that week coincides with the film festival, so a lot of action in the village. You'll have a great time. If you've any questions on what where how, when or who, feel free to drop me a PM (top right: "send messages").

Web cams showing a little melt in the village today, but not enough to worry about. ( see arc1950.com for generic and general information)
latest report
ArseCaptain, for private medical cover from the UK the only one I have any knowledge of is BUPA. Maybe someone else can help you with that. I do know people that come out for the season and only have Carte Neige and EPHC and say it is enough. But I am sure others would not agree. It depends on what you can afford. I have my private health cover through work. If I was paying I think I would make do with just EPHC and Carte Neige for the season as I do not need all the other travel insurance stuff either. But please do remember we each have our own needs, so what suits me might not suit anyone else. Hope that helps.
snow report
vfr750cbr, pleased you found your way to this thread. If you want the name of an English speaking Instructor that is very good and based where you are staying for private lessons then please send me a PM. As Arctic Roll, says, Evolution 2/Spirit in Arc 1950 are OK. There is also ESF in Arc 1950 as well and they are also very good. Just make sure if you book group lessons with any of the ski schools, you need to let them know you want a good English speaking instructor (unless you can speak French). They all say they are good at English, but I know from experience that this is not always the case when it starts getting busy. Have a good holiday and maybe see you in George's Wine bar. The best place for a drink (and cheapest) in Arc 1950.

Although not all lifts or pistes will be open the first week, most should be as the snow cover is good although it is warming up a bit right now. BUT DO NOT WORRY!!! Toofy Grin The snow god's will be kind and we will get more snow at the end of the week, I HOPE!! Very Happy
ski holidays
snowcrazy, thanks for the reply, how do I PM you??
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy