Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dynastar Legend 8000 - mounting my bindings aft the centre chord?

Poster: A snowHead
This coming week I should have a pair of Dynastar Legend 8000's arriving and was wondering what I should do about the binding mounting.
With my previous boots Laughing they have been reasonably stiff fore/aft and not a very aggresive forward lean. My new Tecnica Diable Fire's are giving much more forward lean & flex, so was wondering if I should be looking at mounting behind the centre chord this time round?
My B2's which now have left me with the centre line on my new boots 7mm ahead of the centre chord have left my B2's feeling way too turny with me being unable to power the cuffs and having to ski very central, almost feel like I have to ski in the backseat - not good Sad
Does this feeling mean I should be looking at mounting behind the centre chord? If anyone has any idea how to work this out would be grateful for any advice.

Cheers,

RR
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What length have you bought? For me the 8000, or the Intuitive Big for some of us, is a softer ski than your B2's as a rule. This really depends on each and every ski. Hovever the construction of the 8000 is so good, i'd suggest following Dynastars advice, mounting them centrally and seeing how you get on. Give it a good few trys before you get the bindings re-mounted, but no worries if you have to. Twisted Evil
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I ended up getting the 165's. Does the centre chord mounting make them feel similar to the B2? If so i'm thinking 1cm behind might be worth first try as the B2's just feel plain wrong compared to my Metron's.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
First thing, if you have the Legends, sell the B2's, no question, and mount centrally.

How tall are you for 165 Legends..?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
To have a real effect on this length of ski you'll need a boot sole length of 272mm or lower, the side-cut too, is not bought into effect like the B2's. It's practically a straight ski in modern terms. Don't think about it too much, it's a bouncy powder ski, enjoy. Twisted Evil
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
JT, I'm 5' 11" so should really have gone for the next size up but with me weighing between 9 1/2 & 10 stone I bottled it and went for the shorter to make life easier for me in the bumps.

SMALLZOOKEEPER, Music to my ears! Laughing I've been getting so much stick recently about riding the sidecut - you make the 8000's sound like a good way to get me to do the skiing and not the ski with me along for the ride.
Is the 8000 as good in the bumps for an all-mountain ski as people have been leading me to believe? My Metrons with loads of sidecut and good edge hold were a bit of a handful in moguls sadly Sad
Now all I need are some powder days to find out what this "bouncy" powder ski description is all about snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
On the up shot, if i am ever unsure as to the conditions or level of skier i'll be with, the Big/8000 is the ski i reach for as it has never-ever let me down, anywhere in Cham', however i've recently replaced it with the Volkl Karma, just for the kick in the tail. That said, before you drill 'em up, i'm 5'7/8, 74kg but ski the 178 as a preferance over the 184. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rockyrobin,

Not used them in the bumps but if bumps are your thing then they should be ok. I would have thought the b5 would be better tho'. I will use them for all-mountain with the emphasis on off-psite and accept they may have shortcomings on ice and moguls. They are easy to get them round though..
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
poo-poo, just realised i'm talking about the 8800 not the 8000. Ok lets start again.

8000, a bit longer would be good, very different ski to the 8800. Still no worries with re-drilling same interior. Lots more kick than the Big/8800 so less to woory about there. The most popular all-round ski in Cham' for many years, kicked the B2 well into touch last yeat due to be replaced this year by the B3, just because of the side-cut, which you no longer want. Sorry to confuse. You can't really go wrong. Twisted Evil
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hehe, I sometimes wonder what level i'm at sometimes so they should suit me well.
I don't think it's worth me looking at anything else till i've got some mileage under my belt. Maybe then i'll see about trying some longer wide boys for that freight train sliding experience Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JT, I guess everyone has a different style/preference as I find the M11 (same stats as B5) to be a bit of a handful in bumps due to radical sidecut and extreme edge angles. I really need a ski I can get ontop of real easy so I can concentrate on my technique. Watching my friend sliver through the nasty moguls at XScape Castleford the other week on the hire skis with no edges and little sidecut made me realise my skis were making it difficult for me with my current level of ability Sad

SMALLZOOKEEPER, I've skied the 8000 in a 172 I think and found it to be too much compared to the 165. I guess I just like short skis and not skiing too fast. I guess i'll have to take the risk on goin over the handlebars in deeper snow Laughing If I do manage a face plant at least I can justify another pair of toys! Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
[quote="rockyrobin"]JT, I guess everyone has a different style/preference as I find the M11 (same stats as B5) to be a bit of a handful in bumps due to radical sidecut and extreme edge angles. I really need a ski I can get ontop of real easy so I can concentrate on my technique. Watching my friend sliver through the nasty moguls at XScape Castleford the other week on the hire skis with no edges and little sidecut made me realise my skis were making it difficult for me with my current level of ability Sad

SMALLZOOKEEPER, I've skied the 8000 in a 172 I think and found it to be too much compared to the 165. I guess I just like short skis and not skiing too fast. I guess i'll have to take the risk on goin over the handlebars in deeper snow Laughing If I do manage a face plant at least I can justify another pair of toys! Laughing[/quote]

Were they pictures of your boots i saw on the Epic-babble.com site? Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Which ones? Laughing Do you remember the colour? Did they envolve cutting v's out of the backs with a dremel?

http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=28430

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sat 12-11-05 23:45; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yeah then there was some coller trimming business on some Diablo's, that you? "Sharp intake of breath".
Stay away from the U.S. sites.Twisted Evil
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hehe, that collar trimming in conjunction with booster strap I did on my 1080's after the V's resulted in me trying to kiss my ski tips until they stiffened up! Most people brake at the waist, I broke at the ankle - bizarre. Must have been hilarious to see me do but scared the bejesus out of me. How i evaded a serious accident I will never know.
On the bright side its taught me a lot about boots. No need to entrust myself with the bootfitter no more! I know what I want, gimmee gimmee Laughing
ski holidays
Tools needed; Dremmel, screws, spare plasic bits, silicone, drill, fridge, beer, break-beat and lateral thought process. Everyones a bootfitter baby. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Don't forget the riveting machine. If only I had known about being able to drill out the cuff rivets and remove the upper cuffs I could have saved myself hours of cursing.
Nah, everyone can have a go at bodge it bootfitting, but it will bite their @ss sooner or later after their on their 6th pair of boots Wink Laughing
snow conditions
rockyrobin wrote:
Don't forget the riveting machine. If only I had known about being able to drill out the cuff rivets and remove the upper cuffs I could have saved myself hours of cursing.
Nah, everyone can have a go at bodge it bootfitting, but it will bite their @ss sooner or later after their on their 6th pair of boots Wink Laughing

We use this as a test for all apprentices. They've all got lumps out of their @sses. Twisted Evil
snow report
You mean i'm not the only one that goes through more pairs than Emelda Marcos? Or are you just a tough boss to work for? Puzzled
snow report
rockyrobin, with the greatest of respect, and please this is only my hungover Sunday morning opinion...

the purpose of ski equipment is, to a degree, give you a bunch of tools that allow YOU to do stuff on snow. Not the other way around.

One of the finest skiers I know, French national team circa 1950, only wasn't a combined podium winner SL and DH because a blonde girly got in the way and "there'd always be another race" (there wasn't, but you have to grab your opportunities), joyfully skis on soft, skinny skis, non-release LOOK racing bindings from 1950 (I kid you not! He reckons modern bindings interfere with the ski/boot interface) and dodgy rear entry "punter" boots (cos they're comfy).

I doubt he's been near his boots with a dremel but I guarantee he'd wipe your ass in ANY circumstances.

Save the money, take lessons. Put in more hours. Learn to ski on anything would be my 2p worth! Bad workman, tools, etc. is, I think the usual bromide.

If you're good enough to notice mounting forwards or backwards you're good enough not to need to, would be my sweeping generalisation.
ski holidays
David Murdoch, Hehe, your right. I think its the waiting for the start of the season and my little adventure thats getting to me. I so much want to get on with it that I sometimes feel the "gear head" or "all the gear no idea" can rear its ugly head to divert my frustration Sad
No more purchases now, I promise Laughing
We've got the lessons sorted with what's looking like one full day a week for the whole season so i'm showing willing to mend my ways Wink
Hope your feeling better now after being hung over this morning Twisted Evil
snow report
rockyrobin, when I first saw the length you had them in I thought what? - but then saw your weight. You'll have no problem in the powder; scaling up by weight, for the same effect as you I should be on 232cm boards Shocked , but I find the 184s do pretty great in powder for me (I got that 'bounce' a few times last year and it's positively orgasmic Wink ). Any over-the-handlebars events will be entirely technique- rather than equipment-related.

I'd also suggest sticking with the prescribed position. Remember if you've been mostly piste/race skiing up to now, you should in any case have a more upright stance for off-piste skiing than racing, which may feel like you're a bit backseatish at first.

Only 4 weeks to go for me - probably about time to reset the bindings from touring boot settings to downhill methinks (although that is giving into premature keenness)!

It's so nice not to be the only one singing the praises of the 8000s now; JT's seen the light, and now you Wink .
snow report
GrahamN, Sounds like i've been too used to riding the cuffs hard, hence my previous shin bang blistering.
I'm still finding it very hard to get my head round riding the boots/skis more centrally as it makes me feel less in control and feel like i'm skiing defensively. Hopefully it will be quiet at the beginning of the season midweek so hope I can have a good play and suss this out by trial and error. Trying to suss things out in a 100 yard slide in a freezer has lost its appeal so I just feel like i'm going through the motions Sad
Another one fiddling with their kit in anticipation snowHead Hang in there mate, won't be long now till your getting sleepless nights just before you go Very Happy
ski holidays
rockyrobin, I'd definitely take lessons, and post on US sites... Wink
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat, Yeah, I was wondering if I might be well served posting my questions on TGR and facing the wrath of the maggots? Laughing
I definately need lessons as everyone seems to be trying to tell me something Wink
ski holidays
GrahamN,

Hey, I didn't got that far, did I..?

You know I tried them and liked them and can see me ending up on them as alternative to the XL's for whatever reason.
But I say again, sell those B2's if you have the 8000's because you only want to use them on the same snow days and the 8000 is a far better ski IMO, and way way cooler, if thats your thing..!!!
ski holidays
rockyrobin,

You worry far too much about your equipment...
snow report
JT wrote:
You know I tried them and liked them and can see me ending up on them as alternative to the XL's for whatever reason.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spyderjon, Smile Laughing wink
latest report
beanie1, I know, I know, but keeps me occupied and out of mischief Laughing
I'm sure once i'm sliding every day the thought of new toys will be the last thing on my mind.
snow report
rockyrobin wrote:
I'm sure once i'm sliding every day the thought of new toys will be the last thing on my mind.

Nah, you'll be worse. Just think, every day a test day wink
ski holidays
spyderjon, Hehe, that, and with me falling out with my B2's I will have a pair of Fritschi's looking for a mount Twisted Evil
I won't jump the gun though as I want to get a feel for skiing in powder first on some demo skis before buying more toys snowHead
snow report
rockyrobin, my Fritschis sit quite nicely on the 8000s - so transfer yours from the B2s onto yours, keep the VR27s - then get shot of your remaining gear, stop obsessing about it and just.....ski.

spyderjon, pot......kettle.......erm.......orange Wink
latest report
GrahamN, If I did what you say I would be left with no binding for my next purchase Wink
Problem is these Legend 8000's will probably get skied every day of the week for 5 months mainly on-piste and off the side when conditions dictate and also will be used in the bumps. I'm not sure I would want to put the Fritschi's through that kind of abuse.

Quote:
spyderjon, pot......kettle.......erm.......orange

Spyderjon has murmoured about punting his B5's this year so he must be feeling the impulse for a new toy or two Laughing
latest report
rockyrobin wrote:
Spyderjon has murmoured about punting his B5's this year so he must be feeling the impulse for a new toy or two Laughing

Ah, but only for the new lighter b5's Toofy Grin . Anyway, the feedback states is that the older heavier ones ski better so it looks like they're keepers Cool .
snow report
rockyrobin, ah well, the Legends will be wasted if you're primarily on-piste. So, as JT says, punt the B2s (and the rest of the menagerie), put the Fritschis on the Legends which you keep for the >50% off-piste days - and at your weight will be fine for the softest of powder days, you certainly don't need anything fatter - and assuming that the VR27s are too much work for everyday use, get some Stockli Spirits for the primarily on-piste days as they are tolerable for the occasional bit of offpiste too, and they do short swing stuff fine so should be fine in the bumps. Perfect combination - and you get to buy new gear Twisted Evil !
snow conditions
GrahamN, It's Marc who's got the VR27's. RR has Metron M11's, which are of course effectively b5's Toofy Grin Cool

BTW, PM me your email address as I've some PSB pics for you.
ski holidays
spyderjon, ah...my apologies....it's so tough keeping up with you X-scape gearHeads! RR is the one with about 3-dozen pairs of boots, right?

(Same recipe still applies though!)
snow conditions
GrahamN, 3-dozen & one - he's just got new un's.
ski holidays
rockyrobin, phew, glad you took that in the spirit it was intended. Now about those ski pants....
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy