Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 13/14 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Packing tonight, leaving Thursday. I'll take one pair of thermals but mainly packing long sleeved tee shirts and the like... Sainte Foy here we come...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
very jealous fruity..........would love to be in Ste Foy again this easter, last easter was fantastic, but alas i m in the Marathon next weekend!!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just been scanning the forecast models for signs of the next dump. (focusing on Austria..if there will be another down to low-ish altitude before season close, that is)
ECMWF and ZAMG show some promise for 8-9th next week however GFS is much less optimistic.
Can the forecast gurus add any meat to this bone? Or have I got this completely wrong?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Latest GFS looks a step in the right direction for Ischgl next week at least. Let's hope it's repeated on subsequent runs.....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Boy, it's warm in the alps tonight. Just walked out of a restaurant in Meribel Mottaret and its 6 degrees at 10.39pm. Bashers are out on the hill and look like they're struggling to mould porridge. Foehn winds and dust everywhere.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sad
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The period around 09 April currently looks like it could bring a spell of cooler weather.

But some high temperatures between now and then.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks nozawaonsen, here's hoping that the cool down really does turn up mid next week. I know it's April but this is looking like the warmest early April trip I've had having gone this late (but high) for several years ... Fingers, toes and everything else crossed Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well, snowforecast has excelled itself for Sunday in La Plagne.
In the afternoon it predicts rain showers at 1250m and 2250m.
But at 3250m it will be clear with bright sunshine
Puzzled
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jonpim, I suppose it could happen; have you never skied under a blue sky, looking complacently down on the sea of cloud below thinking how dull it is down in the valley?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
judging by the changing and varied forecasts I'd say next week's weather is looking very uncertain!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Next week looks pretty warm, not too cloudy. Any cool down mid week now looking very limited.

http://www.wzkarten.de/pics/MS_100470_g05.png
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Maybe I will take the thermal tops and not bother with the jacket! I'd imagine some of my light windproof cycling gear could come in useful next week.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 3-04-14 19:51; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looking hot hot hot on the latest run, let's hope its not water skiing next week Razz
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hammerite, don't go without something waterproof!
snow report
pam w, yes, noticed it's going to be wet Saturday and could be any other time of the week. I'll still take my ski jacket with me, but will have some alternatives just in case it does get warm, sunny and dry and a winter jacket isn't really necessary.
ski holidays
Warm all across the Alps for the next week and beyond (till at least 13 April with pretty high confidence). Maybe some snow above 2000m tomorrow. Clearing from Sunday, should be plenty of sun about though possible disturbance mid week.
snow conditions
Well, i'd be interested what local forecasts are predicting for today elsewhere.
Every report i've looked at forecast rain or snow or cloud today for La Plagne.
snowforecast, meteoblue, lapgnet.
So what have we got?
Clear blue sky with not a cloud in sight! Smile

Yesterday was cloudy but warm - we were skiing in our nighties (see La Plagne thread).

pam w, good point about cloud in the valley - but can you get rain from that configuration?
ski holidays
Jonpim, snowforecast and meteoblue both rely on the GFS op run. You'd expect them to show pretty much the same thing (they may update at different times, but the base input is the same). Not sure about laplagnet, quite possibly it's the same.
ski holidays
nozawaonsen, thank you for the info. Snowforecast has been predicting cloud and rain for days and been universally wrong. Laplagnet has been usually right with sun and some clouds, so it would seem to rely in different input, but no idea what that input is.
snow report
Quote:

good point about cloud in the valley - but can you get rain from that configuration?

oh yes - or snow. I've driven down into the valley, with no fresh snow up the mountain, and seen a sprinkling in the valley. After all, the cloud never goes all the way to the edge of the earth's atmosphere, does it? Taking off in a plane you sometimes climb quite quicky out into the blue.
latest report
I've also had one of the most unpleasant experiences I've ever had skiing as a result of this phenomenon. It's known as a 'nebelmeer', from the German for 'cloud-sea'. I stood at the top of the Schilthorn above Muerren in Switzerland, in glorious sunshine, looking down on this sea of cloud, and then I skied down into it. The sudden reduced visibility was extremely disorientating, as I couldn't work out what was the ground and what was the cloud. At one point when I thought I was gliding along slowly, I looked down and found I was actually stationary! Within a short time I was feeling nauseous, as from motion sickness, and by the time I finally made it out of the bottom of the cloud, I was feeling so sick that I had to call it a day. I live in fear of nebelmeers to this day!
snow report
nozawaonsen, I'm clutching at straws here Smile

But looking at the GFS for Arlberg there still seems "something" happening around the 6th April, and not 100% agreement from the runs and similar around the 9th?

snow conditions
kitenski, I'm hoping those wee precipitation blips disappear - snow forecast have turned that into 25mm of rain in st Anton at 2000m on 5 April - only snow at the very top. I'm pleased to see big yellow suns in the Meteo France forecast for us for next week - I can entertain my grand-daughters in slushy snow and sunshine, no problem and there should be a couple of hours good skiing for their parents each day, too, if they time it right.
ski holidays
pam w, I wouldn't take any notice of snow-forecast. You can see in the GFS run above that there is a 4 or 5 degree difference in the models from the warmest run (which snow-forecast is taking) to the colder outlying one which drops close to 0....

Speaking to a guide out there and he says it's all very much up in the air as well
snow report
Have not had much in the way of the rain or the snow that was / is forecast - will go up later to take a look at snow pack.

Avalanche risk now going from 3--> 4 and I suspect given the very warm temps forecast for next week we could well see a repeat of last year in April when everything started going!

Last night I was at the local Club Alpine in Briancon and they are not at all sure about their usual Thurs tour next week.

This is a rough translation of the bulletin for our area mentioning the sand that still on my paintwork from yesterday!

The rain which was responsible for sand, which falls below 1900/2200 m on a snowpack already well wet, will increasingly destabilize the latter over the hours. Of attrition, in the form of avalanches of wet snow, are expected in most of the watershed. However, it is mainly in the shady slopes, where the snowpack is the more therefore, that the risk to see a few big avalanches of substance and of cast iron is the highest. Some could very punctually reach of communication channels exposed. A fortiori, the risk of triggering an avalanche of wet snow to the passage of a skier will become strong.

* Above 1900/2200 m, the fresh snow is deposited on a snowpack of spring type, except in the catchment do light little or not the sun or the snow was still cold, powdery or hardened by the wind. With the strong wind of is, accumulations are formed. The accidental risk resides in the triggering of one of these plates to the passage of one or more skiers. In addition, rare lava flows of fresh snow can be triggered spontaneously in couoirs steep.

Further Edit:
Anyone coming out next week and renting go for some skis circa 100 wide if you can, have had a great time on my 107's this afternoon in very spring like conditions whilst I heard a few Brits on their last day moaning about the snow. And next week snow might well not freeze up to around 2500.
snow conditions
...however, conditions north of the arctic circle are epic. The snowpack still resembles winter; although today it was milder as a storm passed through and things were distinctly sleety in Svolvaer. We sneaked in a couple of laps up to 450m or so before the weather really closed in and skied some rather good 6in fresh creamy powder snowHead

Edit: Correcting apple auto correct... rolling eyes
snow report
Quote:

The rain which was responsible for sand, which falls below 1900/2200 m on a snowpack already well wet, will increasingly destabilize the latter over the hours. Of attrition, in the form of avalanches of wet snow, are expected in most of the watershed. However, it is mainly in the shady slopes, where the snowpack is the more therefore, that the risk to see a few big avalanches of substance and of cast iron is the highest. Some could very punctually reach of communication channels exposed. A fortiori, the risk of triggering an avalanche of wet snow to the passage of a skier will become strong.

Hmm. Where's the original? Some of that translation is gobbledegook. And the bit about rain "responsible for sand" seems to made no sense at all. The sand which fell extensively round here in Feb wasn't accompanied by any precipitation.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
According to snowforecast it is snowing on me right now. I am sitting in the sun......

snowHead
snow report
Depends where you are Chris Bish: La Roche "light rain" and 7C, Graciosa "light snow" and 1C.
snowHead
Actually, i reckon if there is any precipitation its gonna be rain unless you're up on the glacier.
Looks like we'll be soaked walking home from the party tonight unless i can find a brolly.
snow report
pam w, all over the mountain here the snow had the Saharan sand on it which fell in the recent rain, this was deemed to be detrimental to snow stabilization, acting almost as a weak layer. This was also mentioned in another thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=109998 rolling eyes

The text was taken from the usual avalanche bulletin depending on your area of course, now risk back to 2 for tomorrow, and no more mentions of that layer.

En dessous de 2200 m environ, le manteau neigeux est pourri et les faibles pluies, attendues jusqu'en première partie de nuit et samedi après-midi, vont le déstabiliser davantage. Des avalanches de neige humide, dont de rares pourraient être de moyenne ampleur, sont susceptibles de survenir spontanément, en particulier dans les versants ombragés là où les quantités de neige en place sont les plus importantes. A fortiori, le passage d'un seul skieur pourrait déclencher une de ces avalanches.
latest report
Weathercam, yes, I saw the other thread. But the sand here was wind-borne, no rain. That was the half term week and it was very marked. Since then the sand layer was covered by fairly heavy snow but that was some weeks ago and it's re-appearing in places as that snow melts in the high temperatures.
snow report
pam w, there was certainly some sand appearing on Serre Chevalier's slopes a couple of weeks ago that had been deposited earlier in the season.
ski holidays
Hells Bells, pam w, so the red sand that appeared on my van, and all the other cars in the valley yesterday must have been there from Feb and must have been there all along since then and only appeared after the rain washed the surface "dirt" off yesterday, and of course what the avalanche bulletin of yesterday was alluding to yesterday was also said Feb deposits rolling eyes
snow conditions
I never said it didn't appear yesterday - the thread you linked to mentioned its appearance in a number of resorts, though not that it had come down in rain (which it obviously does in some places and is called "blood rain", apparently, but that doesn't make the rain "responsible" for the sand which is carried on winds from the Sahara). I would just have liked to see what that garbled weather comment actually said but if it's no longer available, forget it.
ski holidays
pam w, but I thought you of all people would have known it was from an avalanche bulletin so had nothing to do with what happened in Feb, and would naturally know where to have found it and by knowing where I live know what region to look at !
latest report
back on topic rolling eyes

the 12z goes cold again for the Arlberg on the 9th, and perhaps a touch colder with something falling from the skies on the 6th (the day I arrive, so let's see what transpires)

latest report
kitenski, cold in a sense of not being as warm as it currently is, but overall temperatures look generally mild or very mild. As you say perhaps a brief cold down around 09 April.

snow report
nozawaonsen, well it takes it below seasonal average Wink
ski holidays
Bergfex showing FL down to 1,500M in Tignes with precipitation by next weekend ... hmmmmm Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy