Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 13/14 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
New England?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
New England sorry. That place that threw the tea in the harbor.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jbob, no it doesn't work quite like that, the Atlantic acts as a moderator. Cold is more likely to come from the north or east than west.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
As a lay man looking at the charts, too me things look promising from next week, certainly a cool down next week, temps back to where they should be, freezing at 1000m and well below at 2000m, also signs of a decent fall of snow next Monday / Tuesday across the alps. After that the models are all pointing towards a cool down with cold weather and also unsettled with a chance of precipitation often. This will fall as snow, so from where I sit it looks to be an improing picture. No Massive dump in the forecast for next 10 days but cooler snowier weather from next week should improve conditions across the board.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
http://climatestate.com/2014/01/05/polar-vortex-jet-stream-and-climate-change/

I have just been sent the above link. How will that impact on the Alps?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Renry, in the short term the cold weather in the US has limited direct impact in itself on Europe. As I mentioned above the warm waters of the Atlantic would moderate any weather moving from the US to Europe.

However, there is a broader question which relates to a possible longer term trend towards increased blocking as the jet stream takes on a more meridional pattern and there are some suggestions that this might be a result of melting Arctic sea ice.

A more meridional jet stream would be more likely to lead to more extremes of weather, so periods of very hot weather, very cold weather, very dry weather, very wet weather, and we've seen all types of these in the Alps in recent years. Whether that is as a result of fundamental shifts or part of natural variability is of course a much contested question, but there is substantial scientific opinion to suggest we are seeing indications of climate change and these could well be just such indications.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=89088&start=80

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 7-01-14 23:17; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
How will that impact on the Alps?

Well.............it might be a bit/lot colder than normal or it might be a bit/lot warmer than normal. OR...it might be the same.
Confused
Who knows for sure. But if you're a one-week-a-year skier and you've booked and paid, (as I have) it's not "worth keeping an eye on". wink
You're going anyway. Enjoy. Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Soaranski
user

How will that impact on the Alps?

Well.............it might be a bit/lot colder than normal or it might be a bit/lot warmer than normal. OR...it might be the same.
Confused
Who knows for sure. But if you're a one-week-a-year skier and you've booked and paid, (as I have) it's not "worth keeping an eye on". wink
You're going anyway. Enjoy.

I would disagree. If you are a seasoner then its not worth keeping an eye on as you are going to see good and bad whatever happens and will experience some great skiing regardless of fluctuations. If you are a one-week-a-year skier then you should be glued to it because if there is any chance that the holiday you have looked forward to for 51 weeks and spent a fortune on may turn out to be a disappointment you are going to be anxious. You are praying every day it will be perfect and looking forward to it. If I go skiing and there is no snow (happened twice in my life time) quite frankly I would rather lose my money and stay at home as I certainly will not be enjoying it. Nowadays the snow making should ensure there will be plenty to do but on one holiday to bereges about 5-6 years ago it was green and t shirt weather and there was absolutely nothing to do or enjoy all week when all you had done for months is dream of the snow.

That is why people are on here every 5 minutes hoping for good news.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mheadbee, Well said!

Being self employed if I took time off to do something that I can't do then I'd only be compounding the loss. At least if I stayed at home I could try and earn the money back?

I'm off on the 18th and its been a wee bit squeaky the last two weeks, not the worst, that was Jan 07 when it literally snowed for 5 days from the night I arrived to save the holiday.

Anyway, fingers and toes crossed snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I agree with you mheadb. For many of us a ski trip is a big investment and something we wait eagerly for all year. For me, this trip may be my only chance to ski in the alps for many years as I live on the other side of the world. Luckily it looks like the resorts I've chosen should be okay even if there's no fresh powder. My plan A had Austria in it and that would have had me pretty worried by now.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Strong cross model support now for a more blocked pattern and colder weather next week as high pressure cuts the Atlantic off.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nozawaonsen, will cutting off the Atlantic tend to cut off the systems which bring the precipitation too?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
nozawaonsen, will cutting off the Atlantic tend to cut off the systems which bring the precipitation too?

The wigglies seems a bit flat but at least its cold- its a start
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:

Yes, it could although it looks like there could be 15-25cms falling to low levels next Monday/Tuesday. After that it's less clear
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Incidentally, if the modelled cold weather next week did occur this would not be the "same" cold weather crossing from the US.

The extreme cold is being caused by the jet stream sitting further south over the US with the (not a) polar vortex sitting over Canada.

It's still in pretty much the same place mid month (if this output verifies), but what's changed is high pressure building over Scandinavia (see the light green area).

This would force the jet stream much further south across Europe than it has been recently allowing cold air to flow down from the north and east.

http://images.meteociel.fr/im/9301/gfsnh-5-192_lvq7.png

Although there may be links to the underlying causes (the position of the jet stream), it would be a separate outbreak of cold weather. All a bit hypothetical at this stage mind you as it hasn't actually happened yet.
snow report
Out in wengen on the 18 jan. Don't no whether to take old grotty kit and then it doesn't matter if it gets ruined (as in jan 07 - Avoriaz) or whether to take my nicer kit and risk getting it ruined.

Dilemmas, dilemmas. 🏂
snow conditions
NE1, Take both. snowHead
snow conditions
I wonder if there's a direct correlation between the relatively poor snow in the Alps at the moment and the generally joyless sniping that has been happening on here. So come on snow, we need you to make snowHead snowHead snowHead a happy place again...
snow conditions
queen bodecia, who says the snow is relatively poor?? Seems top to bottom skiing available in most places, I remember years with bottom slopes shut, all brown etc etc
snow report
kitenski, yes I agree, but there's been a lot of moaning going on about relative lack of snow. I think the absence of safe and decent off-piste conditions might be to blame. From what I can see most pisted areas look fine, although there might be more than the usual proportion of manufactured snow.
snow conditions
queen bodecia, Snow was fine last week. Only one run I went on had a low snow warning ( Jerusalem at the bottom of the run) Unless you are only talking about Austria?
snow report
blahblahblah, I haven't been skiing anywhere yet this season, my comment was about frayed tempers and general trolling/sniping on here. I don't remember this sort of behaviour last season when the snow was fluffy and bountiful... Toofy Grin
latest report
queen bodecia, ahh, ok.
snow conditions
blahblahblah, not a vintage season in the northern parts of Austria, yet! The southern Austrian alps have benefited quite well from a couple of systems moving up from the south. Around ski amade I believe the piste are complete and holding up, there was 15-20cms a few days ago, friends telling me of some okay powder off piste after the last snowfall. I'm sure conditions could be better but law of averages hopefully means there should be plenty of decent snowfall over the next few months. This was posted by kooky the other day from Wagrain, don't look too bad. Forecast looks better for next week, which is handy as I'll be making a visit.

ski holidays
I'm heading to Chamonix and the snow looks pretty much ok to me. Cold next week and maybe a bit of snow so could be a lot worse!
snow conditions
queen bodecia, maybe I cruise round different threads than you, but I haven't noticed any more sniping and trolling than usual.
And as for snow conditions, memories are short.
Sure, we have had 2 fantastic seasons in 2012/2013 and 2011/2012, but the season before that was very different.
Take La Plagne: according to SCGB the average for the last 20 years for the first week in January is 147cm/73cm (upper slopes/lower slopes).
Quoted conditions right now are 150cm/75cm,
In 2010/11 the figures were 116cm/49cm.
latest report
Also it can change very fast.... I remember doing a season in La Plagne in 98/99 and after a good start January was sunny and pretty warm. Lots of grass showing and I recall saying "we need a metre of snow fast"... we had about 30cm of snow base at Plagne Centre if I recall. Then, it actually snowed about 250cm and we have almost 3m base in the resort and 5m at the top !! That started about the 21st Jan !
latest report
It's not a great start here in Chamonix but it's OK. In an average season only 8-12 days out of 100 are usually powder days, not counting the November snow we have already had 3-4, so no complaints here. I have to say skiing at Les Houches today it felt very like April, even had a bit of poor mans powder (slush). It was a very enjoyable days skiing in the sunshine. The Friday snow has disappeared from the ensembles and the meteo Cham forecasts. Still predicting a major cold period starting next week. No need to panic there's plenty of good skiing.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There's a big lump on the ensemble for Monday/Tuesday though jbob, so fingers crossed. Although I'm not out till Wednesday so a bit late for me anyway but a least a freshen up I hope.
snow report
Quote:

skiing at Les Houches today it felt very like April, even had a bit of poor mans powder (slush)

It was just like April in Les Saisies today too, some very nice slooshy stuff on south facing slopes then later a slight touch of that sticky stuff that throws you over the front of the skis. Pistes facing away from the sun still have lovely snow. I screeched to a halt on one of them when I saw something lying in the middle of the piste which turned out to be an iphone. It has an English message on it and I've mentioned it to a few english people I know here but it's locked and I really CBA to get the car out and drive to the municipal police lost property office with it. I'll take it in next time I go but if people let their phones fall out of their pocket they maybe have more chance of getting it back fast if they don't lock it.
snow report
pam w, Agreed,found two phones recently, and just called the last couple of numbers and left my details.
snow report
blahblahblah, my nephew lost an iphone on the slopes last year. French family found it, dialled last number called, all sorted out very swiftly with much handshaking and entente cordiale.
ski holidays
looking at the webcams though it seems there are some patches appearing pretty quickly, another two days of this is going to make things look a little sorry. Sure it will be fine and considering I start skiing on Sunday and will be sticking to the pistes just to get my legs working again should be alright.

Still fingers crossed for Snow on Monday and Tuesday. Dont want these dry conditions to last as it might end up being incredibly icy if it stay dry after this warm spell/almost all the fresh snow disappearing.

also pam very true, but i live in london, i have known people who have lost their phones and as a result have had people who have found it rack up a £100+ in one night calling people abroad. Unfortunately not many people are as upstanding as those posting here. Shame but true.
snow report
Some not unhelpful snowfall cropping up on the 12z GFS.

snow report
nozawaonsen wrote:
Some not unhelpful snowfall cropping up on the 12z GFS.

Eek tignes is right on the edge of that, I hope it moves north west a smidge please.
snow conditions
2planks, I think Austria deserves some..
snow report
nozawaonsen, I'll take that! Who do I pay? wink snowHead
ski holidays
Feast wrote:
2planks, I think Austria deserves some..

Yes of course, I'm just being a bit greedy...
snow report
That would be a gift, I arrive in Ischgl on the 16th!
snow conditions
mheadbee wrote:

I would disagree. If you are a seasoner then its not worth keeping an eye on as you are going to see good and bad whatever happens and will experience some great skiing regardless of fluctuations. If you are a one-week-a-year skier then you should be glued to it because if there is any chance that the holiday you have looked forward to for 51 weeks and spent a fortune on may turn out to be a disappointment you are going to be anxious. You are praying every day it will be perfect and looking forward to it. If I go skiing and there is no snow (happened twice in my life time) quite frankly I would rather lose my money and stay at home as I certainly will not be enjoying it. Nowadays the snow making should ensure there will be plenty to do but on one holiday to bereges about 5-6 years ago it was green and t shirt weather and there was absolutely nothing to do or enjoy all week when all you had done for months is dream of the snow.

That is why people are on here every 5 minutes hoping for good news.

Really? Sure I'd be disappointed if the place I'd booked for a ski trip had no snow come departure day but no way would I waste all the money I'd spent and stay at home instead of go anyway. I love being in the mountains snow or no snow and would pack my hiking boots and walking gear and make the best of it enjoying the scenery, food and drink.

If I was someone who just wouldn't go if there wasn't much snow then it'd be really quite a daft thing to do to book anything much in advance anyway wouldn't it?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy