Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2013/2014 (Post Season 50cm New Snow :-)

Poster: A snowHead
kitenski, happy valley, from mooserwirt back to galzig. Anytime after 2 they should be pretty decent
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
peanuthead, not steep enough though! was hoping the itinaries would be heavily mogulled now!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kitenski, Looks like Osthang is open today........ http://www.lechzuers.com/current-lift-and-slope-report

But a lot of other ski-routes with red crosses!

Some good coverage on upper slopes as per....... http://www.lechzuers.com/livecams

I'm in Lech for a few days from 6th April, and I'm expecting some slush-puppy conditions into the resort, and reckon Zurs will still be good, as will be some of the north facing Warth slopes.....
Edit to add that I'm not taking my powder skis!! Shocked
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skimastaaah, I meant the Osthang ski route down to St Anton under the Galzigbahn...

I am in Stuben from the 6th and am taking my powder skis (as well as some more all rounds ones)

I reckon the snow in Rendl, Stuben, Zurs, Warth and maybe Sonnenkompf will all be fine.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski wrote:
skimastaaah, I meant the Osthang ski route down to St Anton under the Galzigbahn...

I reckon the snow in Rendl, Stuben, Zurs, Warth and maybe Sonnenkompf will all be fine.

Silly me 'bout Osthang! Embarassed
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
skimastaaah, I didn't realise there were two with the same name either!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski, bottom of Osthang won't be skiable, it's south facing and was closed 2 weeks ago, new snow that fell last weekend on there has gone. Any spring corn is limited to north facing, also a decent stash under the lift down to Jageralpe in Warth/ Schrocken. Also suggest a look down Stierloch (alternative way down to Zug, best late morning). Stuben and Rendl north faces will be good. Avoid any south facing OP after lunchtime. Upper pistes will be in great shape......have a great trip.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Folks. You might want to checkout some Zurs fotos from Yesterday over on the German BB.

As you can see no snow & millions of people just how we like it wink

http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=131&t=48156&p=4975790&hilit=Arlberg#p4975790
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
All,

Have an option to either come to St Anton for 1 week from 13 April or go to Val d'Isere - we are a family of 4 (2 young kids), my wife and I are keen piste bashers ...

My preference would be to come to the Arlberg as I absolutley love the place - do you think there would be enough snow to keep us happy for 1 week? Seems like the bottom runs are well maintained event though they look a bit thin in places ...

Would we find better on-piste conditions over in Lech / Zurs?

Thanks Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
franga, pistes are in great condition, go for it!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
franga, personally I'd go to Val D'Isere. I am in Stuben myself and love the area but the snow depth is so much better this year in Val.

Val is reporting 91cm at the bottom, 210cm at the top, St Anton is reporting 30cm and "bare spots" lower, 130cm upper on their official webpage. Forecast is for high temps all week so it is only going downhill!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stanton, Markymark29,

cheers for the updates. keeping me calm while I look at the warm forecast and watch the clock tick until saturday! Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snow this weekend (at altitude) Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski,

Crying or Very sad

true though, i'd probs do the same.

positive thoughts though ... its gonna be ace!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
franga wrote:

My preference would be to come to the Arlberg as I absolutley love the place - do you think there would be enough snow to keep us happy for 1 week? Seems like the bottom runs are well maintained event though they look a bit thin in places ...

Would we find better on-piste conditions over in Lech / Zurs?

Thanks Madeye-Smiley

If your only a Piste Warrior it is fine everywhere. The Egress Pistes to the Town will be soft sometime very soft. The key is to get up early, do the valley rund first thing then stay high on the north facing slopes, finish early relax in the sun .

I suspect the lifts will be open 15 mins earlier (08:30)

If your not confident you can always ride the lifts down.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Mon 31-03-14 14:06; edited 1 time in total
snow report
An Ariel View from last weekend. You can see the pistes are complete to the Valley (Rendl,Galzig,Nasserein)

snow conditions
stanton,

First timer in St Anton this week ... you ski down from mooser right? Is that still ok?
snow conditions
Mattmulkeen, No Problem.
ski holidays

http://youtube.com/v/lr__Snx2ja0
latest report
stanton, great pic thanks
ski holidays
kitenski, Mattmulkeen, don't worry about the quality of the pistes down to town, as stanton, says they're complete, the locals are all smiling and out there. This is one of my favourite times in Arlberg, long ski days, early starts, nice tours and lazy late afternoons in the sun with a beer. If I had the holiday allowance available I'd be in St Anton in a flash, Val D'Isere is not in the same league IMO, might have marginally better snow this freaky season but as I said above all pistes are complete, does it matter if the snow is 30cm or 91cm your on piste after all?! I'd rather have a clean loo, decent prices, friendly locals, great food and the Austrian gemütlichkeit anytime over Savoie fare.
snow report
ditto, France sucks!
snow report
Markymark29,

You should be a travel agent, thank you - I agree with all your points, as an overall package the Arlberg / Austria are much more appealing ...
latest report
franga, ha, just got a lot of pals out there and get feedback all the time, plus spend a lot of time there in all seasons. Love the place. Very Happy

Used to ski Espace Killy/ 3V in 90's, got fed up with the attitude of the locals and lack of infrastructure/ investment in lifts, and don't hear of much changing, the customer has the right to vote with their feet, we did!!
ski holidays
Markymark29, you are a touch biased Smile

I've had some good times in Val D'Isere, and with some local knowledge there are some nice places to eat lunch, and some equally good off piste. However as you know I also really enjoy the Arlberg, I just don't think this would be a good year to visit, it's their worst snow record for 5 years at least and there are places with much better snow. If you wanted to avoid France then the Italian alps has had monster snow falls this year, as has the southern Tirol from the pics Clarky posted!!
ski holidays
Yes Italy has had a great year for snowfall but typically Italy warms up a lot quicker in the spring than Austria. Be sure to check the local resort temps.

http://www.bergfex.com/italien/schneewerte/?sort=Berg,DESC
snow conditions
kitenski, 1963 was the last snow year as poor according to the locals but came back last weekend and it ain't half bad. Ive been going since 1987 and snow cover into town is just as good as ever (on piste), ie; so long as you don't want to be shredding down Maienplatt, Schoengraben, bottom Osthang etc and are happy from mid station to town on piste.
snow report
DB wrote:
Yes Italy has had a great year for snowfall but typically Italy warms up a lot quicker in the spring than Austria. Be sure to check the local resort temps.

http://www.bergfex.com/italien/schneewerte/?sort=Berg,DESC

Yep, snow depths in the Dolomites are pretty impressive this year, it is warming up I wouldn't be too worried about the temps there. It was warm this weekend but the pistes were all in good condition right down in to town, and off piste was good higher up.

However, lifts in the Dolomites (like everywhere else) close when people stop skiing. Sadly that is about now Sad Some lifts have already closed, most major lifts are open until April 7th, but after they do start to shut down. Hotels are already closing for the winter too. For a trip starting on the 13th I think you'd have to rule out the Dolomites, although there'll be plenty of snow left I reckon.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You come to the Arlberg for the long steep descents on & off piste.

Espace Killy, Dolomiti, 3V etc is for Lift Riders.

There is no comparison with Arlberg when it comes to accessible long
challenging terrain.
latest report
Quote:

challenging terrain.

Not true I'm afraid.

Chamonix has vast amounts, Val d'Isere has vast amounts, the scope of the Dolomites is incredible - sadly they don't often get such good snow and there are some weird laws about skiing off piste, but don't discount the terrain, it is utterly vast.

France lacks atmosphere and style, and *generally* you get better snow in the Arlberg (in my experience), but plenty of places compete on amount of accessible off piste. Dolomites has scenery, Tirol standard huts, hotels etc and similar gemütlichkeit, but often lacks the snow.

No question that St Anton has the best all round, but if we get another season like this I won't hesitate to go to Sudtirol again.
snow conditions
sah, since when did truth matter for a stanton, post Laughing Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Happy

I do admire stanton's undying loyalty though, I confess I love the place but I'm happy to switch loyalty as the snow dictates wink
latest report
sah,

I have been everywhere(seasons in some cases) , all far away places on other continents,hemispheres, even those places you mentioned numerous times but nothing matches the Arlberg that is why folks always end up coming back here......

If you are only concerernd about the depth of the snow I think you should of looked at Scotland as i beleive they had the most in Europe this season....
ski holidays
Folks.

This weekend we will get some snow above 2000M . Below & downtown parapluie will be in order.

Saturday 5th April is End Of Season Party at the Krazy Kanguruh.

Also this Thursday (3rd) is the end of season party for the the towns economic migrants Madeye-Smiley
snow report
stanton wrote:
You come to the Arlberg for the long steep descents on & off piste.

Espace Killy, Dolomiti, 3V etc is for Lift Riders.

challenging terrain.

Dolomites are for ski tourers. If you're willing to climb and skin there, the sheer amount of steep aesthetic couloirs available is just mind-boggling. Every crag of rock holds at least 10 skiable lines, I think you could ski there for 10 seasons and still not tick off all the possibilities.

Not that I don't love the Arlberg; it has much more lift-accessed interesting terrain.
snow report
Quote:

I think you could ski there for 10 seasons and still not tick off all the possibilities.

Happy

And living in Innsbruck you need another 10 seasons for the Arlberg, the local hills, the Zillertal.... I really have to look in to moving out there. The options to get to the worlds finest skiing for a day trip or a weekend are amazing.

Have you seen Francesco's books on the Dolomites? If you haven't you need to take a look before you head back there, they are fantastic resources, the major lines are also on the 1:25k maps.
snow report
Lovely weather today, was good to get up the mountain after a weekend back in England. Only downer was walking in to the locked garage where I live that doubles as the ski/board storage for the guesthouse I live in to find some **** has taken my board Mad Mad Mad hoping it will turn up this evening when the current guests get back, but not holding out much luck. Sad

As Stanton says, KK closes on Saturday and already feeling a lot quieter in town. Heustadl is already closed and a few places in town are no longer open for Après (Picadilly and I think Kandahar some days) and talk of some only opening weekends shortly.
ski holidays
Sitter, that's bad re your board, hope it turns up.
ski holidays
Markymark29 wrote:
Sitter, that's bad re your board, hope it turns up.

Looks like it might have turned up thankfully. Posted a pic up on an Anton seasonnaire facebook page and got a response. Apparently somebody found it at the recycling place and have it to a member of TO staff so fingers crossed I get it back tomorrow. Quite how it ended up there I don't know, but at least it looks like it's been found Very Happy
snow conditions
Sitter, how's the snow on and off? nice corn off I'd hope if you get your timings right??
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy