Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving from Vancouver to Whistler

Poster: A snowHead
I'm going out on 1st March and will be hiring a car. The question is, is it still a nightmare to get out of Vancouver?

As I'll be tired from the long flight, I thought it might be better to hire one in Whistler and get the taxi there and back. Does anyone know if it's easier now because of the Olympics?

Cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jumping Jack Flash, As Whistler is car free will you need to hire one or are you planning to travel around the area when you get there?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You still have to get from Vancouver airport (south of the city), through the city centre and over the river. We've always found it busy, but wouldn't have described it as a nightmare.

If you really want to drive up, then you could always stay overnight in one of the (many) hotels near the airport.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
get the perimeter bus

50 cad return, from right outside the airport entrance.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Iski wrote:
Jumping Jack Flash, As Whistler is car free will you need to hire one or are you planning to travel around the area when you get there?

I was going to hire one in Whistler as I'm staying in Creekside with my wife and 2 kids. I'm going for a month and don't really need a car but we are staying in a ski/out chalet half way up the hill so I don't see any way round it for shopping etc.

From memory you can park fairly near to Whistler village or at least I thought you could. Has this changed now?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I seem to remember there being parking on the edge of the village but there is also some specific information about it on the whistler.com website. When we went a couple of years ago we just had a transfer from Vancouver as we were staying in the village.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
there is a great big car park outside the main supermarket in Whistler
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jumping Jack Flash wrote:
I'm going for a month and don't really need a car but we are staying in a ski/out chalet half way up the hill so I don't see any way round it for shopping etc.

Wouldn't a taxi once a week be more economical?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I wouldnt assume that what was available for parking in previous years will be similarly available in 2010 because of the Olympics etc. Though you arrive just after the main event finishes, the Paralympics will be on.....and Creekside is where a lot will be happening I think

You may want to check this link out

http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/olympics/index.htm

Personally I would take the bus from the airport (or a taxi since there are a few of you) and take taxis when there....but the bus isnt by Perimeter anymore (they stopped last year). This lot do it now

http://www.pacificcoach.com/whistler
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Parking is tricky in Whistler if your accomodation doesn't provide it. And sometimes expensive even when it does.

There's a good bus service - are you staying on that? If not, a car might work, but beware there is less parking this year with the Olympics.

The drive from airport to Whistler is by no means a nightmare. The road has improved alot in last 3 years.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This season there are lots of parking restrictions because of the Olympics - by March 1st, most of the parking in Whistler village is available again, however Creekside is basically a no-parking zone up until March 21st.
abc suggestion of taking a taxi to do the groceries seems like a good idea to me. Why waste money on car hire which is something you will hardly need.

as for buses from Van - there is also the snowbus and ridebooker.com has various options
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
with all that hassle I think I'd be doing some research on delivery services! Surely such a sophisticated resort as Whistler must have some facility for delivery the weekly shop?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, When we were in Whistler I seem to remember seeing something about deliveries being available.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
with all that hassle I think I'd be doing some research on delivery services! Surely such a sophisticated resort as Whistler must have some facility for delivery the weekly shop?

That sounds like a good idea. I'll look into it.

We're staying at a place called Taluswood, which is a small development of about 10 or so chalets about half way up the lower section of the Dave Murray Downhill. Parking is on site but it sounds like it's restricted everywhere.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm pretty sure that the grocery store delivers

https://whistlergrocery.com/
latest report
malcolm1 wrote:
I wouldnt assume that what was available for parking in previous years will be similarly available in 2010 because of the Olympics etc. Though you arrive just after the main event finishes, the Paralympics will be on.....and Creekside is where a lot will be happening I think

You may want to check this link out

http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/olympics/index.htm

Personally I would take the bus from the airport (or a taxi since there are a few of you) and take taxis when there....but the bus isnt by Perimeter anymore (they stopped last year). This lot do it now

http://www.pacificcoach.com/whistler

and it seem that they may not be on strike afterall Happy
http://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/pique/index.php?cat=C_News&content=PCL+strike+1701

A taxi is a good bet and reasonable value if there is more than one of you - I seem to recall it was about CA$200 each way

Even though the sea to sky highway is a fairly straight and major road compared to some alpine roads and has got considerably straighter, wider and more major recently, it is still a road to the mountains and as such can get really bad winter conditions on it - not necessarily something you'd want to deal with on an icy/snowy night after a long flight.

On the other hand if you do want to hire a car, last year because we had some things to do in Vancouver for a few days first, we hired a car from avis at Vancouver Airport, then when we went up to Whistler dropped it off when we got there, then got a taxi back.
snow conditions
malcolm1,

I also thought that Perimeter had gone out of business, but their web site (http://www.perimeterbus.com/) is still alive and apparently offering bookings for 2010.

Anyone else got any information about this??
latest report
I live in Whistler, and believe the Perimeter bus service closed it's service to Whistler last year sometime. I have not seen a bus of theirs for a long time.

I can not explain why the website still says they are operating, do your research and talk to someone is my advice if you continue to book with them.

Taxis are not very cheap, and if you have 4 paying people, than I have heard it is cheaper to hire a limo from the airport - doesn't apply to you I know, just throwing it out there
latest report
are you really going to be driving around ?

Hire a stretch limo and do it in style, maybe $250 one way ?

If you are getting the coach book it in advance because (on weekends) it gets fully booked, hence my knowledge about stretch limos wink call girls and charlie are optional extras Laughing
snow report
Now I am panicking as yesterday I booked a transer with Perimeter for the end of this month! will do so more checking.
snow conditions
Perimeter say on their website

Arriving at the Vancouver International Airport (YVR) and looking for transportation to Whistler Blackcomb? Perimeter Reservations offers the easiest way to securely book your transportation online. Our Whistler Express reservation service allows you to book and travel exactly how you want. Perimeter has selected the best travel partners to ensure you a hassle-free trip from the Vancouver Airport to Whistler. Expanded bus service for 2009 includes 12 daily departures to
Squamish BC from the Vancouver Airport. Book your Vancouver Whistler Bus Online.

I guess the bus is operated by a "travel partner".......the schedule looks very like the Pacific Coaches one which may, of course, be a coincidence......................................
latest report
I think I may get a taxi upthere from the airport and book a car for a week when I get there.

We have two kids and I'll need to ferry them around so I don't think I'll be able to get away without a car (wife has pointed this out!).

If I hire for a week at least I can see how practical doing without one would be.

Does anyone know the name of a limo as detailed above that do it for $250?

The ones I've found are for $400!

Annoyingly, I've lookewd at ski passes and they don't do one for a month, it's "15 for 18 days" ie you have to ski 15 times in 18 days frpom the date you but the pass.

I can't find one for a month.

Are there any experienced buyers out there who can offer some advice?

Cheers
ski holidays
Jumping Jack Flash, star limo have run transfers for us from airport to Whistler, private or shared. Very nice people and used to be able to get a discounted lift pass. not sure if they still are
hope this helps
http://www.starlimousine.com/index.php
snow conditions
Now in Whistler booked the transfer with Perimeter we where picked up by Pacific Coaches. We have the tickets for the return journey. All is well except for the rain its pouring down!
latest report
Jumping Jack Flash, we are there from 7th to 14th if you want to meet up. Me, hubby and 3 year old on the last part of our canadian adventure.
ski holidays
Mouth wrote:
Jumping Jack Flash, we are there from 7th to 14th if you want to meet up. Me, hubby and 3 year old on the last part of our canadian adventure.

Cool, I'll give you a shout nearer the time!
snow report
joneski wrote:
Now in Whistler booked the transfer with Perimeter we where picked up by Pacific Coaches. We have the tickets for the return journey. All is well except for the rain its pouring down!

Sounds about right. It always seems to lash it downwhen I'm there as well!
snow conditions
Quote:

Sounds about right. It always seems to lash it downwhen I'm there as well!

It must be all about timing or luck........I flew out on 22 Jan and came back on 1 Feb and for the most part we had great conditions, even, believe it or not, sunny skies. I had to buy some sunscreen (which I had failed to pack !!). The last weekend was foggy/soggy but by then there had been 6 great days so that is not a bad average.

Plus the "Olympic Aversion" that they had worried about had clearly set in as the mountains were quiet, as was the village and the last minute deals on hotels/accomodation were really good
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jumping Jack Flash, I'm out there (Victoria then Whistler), arriving Whistler on 5th March. Looked into cost of car hire and buses/taxis and car hire very reasonable. Worked out about the same to hire a car for the week rather than get the bus there and back. As you're there for a month that doesn't quite compare, except there are four of you and you do get the use of the car.

My studies also showed creekside as a no go zone for cars because of the Olympics.

Maybe I'll bump into you and Mouth, I'll be the guy in the red jacket.

Mouth, Didn't get back to you before as I tore a tendon in my right hand and my trip has been in jeapordy. Still don't use it much (left handed drinking) and not expecting to be too fit when I get there. The pain stopped even leg training, and at my age you need to train before skiing.
snow conditions
if you were doing it in style, you'd hire a float plane to take you there Very Happy
snow conditions
Does anyone have a current view on parking in Whistler . staying in Delta suites & they're asking for $24per night plus taxes for parking.

Perimeter bus want $336 plus tax for return journey from Vancouver airport.
latest report
pretty sure there is a car park near Blackcomb mid station which is free, but not sure whether you are allowed to leave your car overnight

i paid $18 per night for parking at Whistler Village Suites earlier this month
ski holidays
Thanks I still think driving is the best option especially with an 11 o'clock checkout and an evening flight back
latest report
There is no need for a car in Whistler. Taxis are plentiful and cheap for getting around, shopping etc. If Perimeter want $350+ for the transfer from the airport, try contacting the taxi companies for a quote. Parking for 10 nights is going to cost $180 - $240, plus the cost of the car rental, insurance and petrol, so why not just use the Perimeter / transfer bus? Are you going to be in any condition to drive a left-hand drive car in an unknown city with jet-lag after a 14-hour journey?

Even if checkout is officially 11.00, most hotels/condos will accommodate requests to check out later if you ask in good time.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 25-03-13 15:40; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
14 hours? from where?

the drive is just far enough to be a pain in the bum, esp if you don't know the road and it's dark. there are transfer busses which are a good bit cheaper and maybe add 30-40 mins to the journey, assuming their departure times tie in with your flight
latest report
Quote:

14 hours? from where?

Flight time for London - Vancouver is about 10 hours direct, plus 2 hours to check in and another 1-2 hours to clear immigration, baggage and customs on arrival, so the total journey time is approaching 14 hours.
ski holidays
fair enough - i was thinking of flight time which is probably too optimistic!
that said, you can usually get through YVR in an hour or less
latest report
I know I won't need the car when I get there, been before, but I like the freedom of movement, Taxi is about $250 each way, Car hire is about £220-240+ fuel. I'm used to driving in a snowy environment in . the Alps so as long as I can park somewhere at a reasonable cost I should be OK. I've never paid for car parking in Canada before so it was a bit of a shock.
latest report
Have arrived back after a great week in Whistler. In the end we hired a car , a Hyundai Santa Fe, for $98 dollars one way and a Hyundai Elantra the return journey $83. The fuel came to $43

We didn't need a car during our stay & as we had an evening flight we spent the day in various parts of Vancouver

The most difficult part was finding the button to open the fuel cap!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy