Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rental skis..........pre book or rent on arrival?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Am off to Obergurgl 7th April for a week & need to hire skis & boots for my 2 teenage lads; Looking at snowbrainer, skiset etc, is the online discount genuine or would I be able to match the price just showing up in resort?
Just a bit weary of committing to a hire agreement & being restricted to some limited or even rubbish kit.

Also, on the hire site, the selection available for my 13 year old( stated as pre-teen !)seems to put him on a considerably cheaper ski than the 17 year old ( Adult)..........although he is almost 6' . Do you think they would just uplift the price to the appropriate 'adult' ski as this is what he plainly needs.

Thanks

Mitch
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pre-book. I went to the PdS with my brother in law last year. I pre-booked and he didn't and he paid double for the same skis in the same shop, despite trying to haggle. In Italy the other week I didn't pre-book and paid around €70 for 3 days hire of average skis. Regarding your 13 year-old, I'd pre-book based on their guidance on age etc and then point out the contract you have with them if they try to uplift the price.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The prices from these places tend to be pretty good. The issue is when you have a problem with your booking and your agreement is with the central operator rthaer than the shop.
I can recommend Snowbrainer and alpinresorts because we have a good working relationship with them and I'm confident that, if you did have a problem, you'd be treated fairly hopefully with out (but if necessary with) our help.
However I strongly recommend against skiset. While the individual shops may be OK
If you really need to use a shop on the Skiset network, perhaps contact the shop directly and ask for the same discount. They are often pleased to give the same price and not have to pay Skiset the commission. In return you get an agreement directly with the shop you're hiring from.
, personally I do not consider the central Skiset network operator to be trustworthy any more.

Re. your 13yr old - if he's 6ft, I'd hire him adult skis. The ski doesn't know your age: it's your size and weight that matter.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
michael stocking wrote:
Regarding your 13 year-old, I'd pre-book based on their guidance on age etc and then point out the contract you have with them if they try to uplift the price.
I disagree - they'll just give you junior skis that will be rubbish for a fully grown person.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
admin, michael stocking,
Thanks for that.............have price checked at snowbrainer & alpine, they are the same ( & cheaper than skiset);
Although the selection ( at Obergurgl) seems a bit limited; not sure which to go for; both lads are happy on blues & reds, dont mind blacks but probably not with much technique........they seem to do a total beginner, a 'red/silver' then it steps up to 'black/gold'
Any suggestions as to which would suffice?
Mitch
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I would tend to avoid the total beginner stuff once someone has 2 or 3 weeks under their belt
As a rule of thumb only, as people, obviously, learn at different speeds.
. Beginner stuff tends to be softer and hence more forgiving but performs less well if you know what you're doing.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
admin,

For sure will leave the begineer stuff off , was deciding between whats marked up as as 'red/silver' & 'black/gold' .............?
They've had 4 to 5 weeks on skis if I remember correctly + a few trips up the local fridge.
Mitch
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think that's your call really Mitchell Smile
It depends how well they've progressed, how assertively you all ski etc.

In the end though, it's the boots that matter more. A good fitting boot will give you much more out of a rubbish ski than a bad boot will from a good ski.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
worth checking to see which stores the agents use in obergurgl. have been several times although not for 3 years and i suspect it will be either Lohmans or scheiber sports. lohmans are midway between the 2 main lift areas but scheiber have shops by both of the lif areas and the one that is at the top end of the village will also store your boots and ski's overnight so you can walkt to and from there in normal footware . have used scheiber for ski's(not boots) and i can tell you the top end ski's are in prestigne condition and they will always wax and edge if you ask even though they will be serviced when you collect them.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
admin, ta for the link, booked boots for my kids just down the road from Stuben and saved a fair whack I reckon Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kitenski, How does stuben relate to obergurgl 100kms away Puzzled should there have been some other info in your post so that it made sense with this thread?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
MogulMonkey, well spotted, it doesn't. Admin sent a link to snowbrainer, funnily enough they don't *just* rent in Obergurgl.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
MogulMonkey,
Yes, believe they( snowbrainer) are indeed using Lohmans.......am staying at the Sportiv ( annex to Crystal ) so think we are next to one of the lifts; will have a look on the map to double; the hotel get 10% of a Scheiber ( so they tell me) but not sure how this then compares to the snowbrainer price.
Thanks for the info ,
Mitch
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mitchell, we have stayed at the sportiv.... comfortable hotel and you can use all the spa facilities of the 5* crystal - hotels are linked together by an internal walkway. Lohamns will be about 200mts on the main road up towards the main village.
As i mentioned Scheiber have 2 rental shops in obergurgl, 1 at the top end and 1 at the bottom of the village - luckily for you the one at the bottom end of the village is in the basement of the Sportiv. A 10mt walk out of the scheiber shop and you are at the gondola station. scheiber do have their own website (they have a great feature on the web site that if you try and contact them through the web site it does a web cam link and you really do get to SEE and speak to them) so you can check out prices there and compare to sowbrainer - but do not expect to take the top option with snowbrainer and then get the top level ski's with scheiber. if i recall correctly we took the top ski through crystal and then when i collected ski's there were another 2 or 3 levels of better quality skis. i opted to pay another 15euos for the week but ended up top atomic and Rossi skis which i could change whenever i wanted to so for me it was well worth it.

If you have nt been to obergurgl before a couple of hings for you to do:
Nederhutte is a must for late afternoon apre.
Night skiing - think it was on tuesday.
evening tobogan runs in Hochgurgl - purpose built course and you can either control your speed or let it rip Toofy Grin
get over the farside of hochgurgl - very quiet area but some great challenging runs if the snow conditions are good.
Daves hutte for lunch time grostl - best to share this dish.
enjoy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
MogulMonkey,

Hey many thanks , that's excellent info..........just a couple of more things; have been away 3 times this year & had pretty bad viz most of the time:(
Are there any trees I can get into if the weather gives me bad viz?
Also, wifey is pretty timid intermediate & doesn't like steep...............any area I should keep her away from?

Thanks again

Mitch
snow conditions
The whole area is very skiable although there is a black from the 'top star' bar above hochgurgl which is steep but i think it has a blue that loops around it. there are plenty of trees around the left side of obergurgl (looking at the piste map) which is where daves hut is. Hochgurgl has what i would describe as a higher and lower area. the lower part does have trees with a nice forest run all the way down to the end of where the tobogan run finishes. the top part of Hochgurgl is fairly exposed and does get the colder windy conditions.
The last run down to the sportiv is also a very good run and i really enjoyed it as the last run of the holiday as well - hate finishing on a lazy blue Twisted Evil .I think there is also a red itinerary run that goes most way down to the sportiv.

One other bit of info: generally you would always end the day on the area that is above the sportiv so you can ski directly back to the hotel. If you do end up finishing on the runs at upper end of the village by the nederhut you should be able to take a small skiable path that stays just above the hotels ( if you miss this path you will end up at the gondola station at the top of the village) and it runs to a small drag lift that is about 50mts long and this will then allow you to ski directly down to the hotel.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy