Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"Help Me" The Secrets of using 112 on a mobile phone in an emergency/accident

Poster: A snowHead
Some useful information about using the 112 emergency number. Apologies if it's been posted before.

http://youtube.com/v/XPZv_8dABfU&sns=em

Anybody know if there is a text/sms message equivalent in France, Austria etc.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
AB Ski, that reminded me that I had registered for this some time ago: http://www.emergencysms.org.uk/

it also seems relevant for this thread. Since I registered for this one I wonder if I also need to register for the 112 as well?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks AB Ski, really interesting.
(And I'll register for texts now.)

Edit: now registered

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 15-03-13 20:04; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Veru interesting. Thanks.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fascinating stuff.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
AB Ski, excellent stuff, thanks for posting. Have registered by text and... it works!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum, pretty sure you don't need to re-register - it's the same website it sends you to as the one you linked.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

excellent stuff, thanks for posting. Have registered by text and... it works!

+1
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Interesting that 112 works on a locked phone as the other contact one is encouraged to have is ICE - In Case of Emergency number for next of kin etc. Rescue services look for ICE in the contacts, but if phone is locked they cannot get at it. So there needs to be another number/data entry etc outside the phone lock.
Registering did not work in Switzerland!!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bode Swiller wrote:
AB Ski, excellent stuff, thanks for posting. Have registered by text and... it works!
+2
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowball wrote:
Thanks AB Ski, really interesting.
(And I'll register for texts now.)

Edit: now registered

Me2
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I didn't know about the text system, but I thought everything else he said was common knowledge.

112 actually works in a heck of a lot of countries (often redirecting to the local emergency number), with the only countries with significant ski infrastructure that it doesn't work being Japan, Chile and Argentina.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/112_(emergency_telephone_number)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
AB Ski, Thanks, very interesting.

colinstone, That made me think about locked phones. I'm not actually sure that it would be possible to dial 112 on a locked iPhone for example as if you can't unlock it you can't see the keypad, so same with ICE numbers - useless on a locked phone. Anyone know any way round this? I don't lock my phone but my husband does.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sarah, a locked iPhone has an emergency call button on the passcode screen (bottom left on the number pad). Not sure about other smartphones, but I suspect similar.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Samsung does as well
snow report
Elizabeth B, thanks! didnt know that Smile
latest report
Elizabeth B, my locked Android Orange Safari/ZTE blade is the same.
snow report
Elizabeth B, my Android HTC Desire has a similar facility.
ski holidays
I believe all mobile phones will retain the ability to make emergency calls even when locked and/or with no service from their own network.
latest report
Elizabeth B, as does the Blackberry
snow report
It's a GSM requirement that all phones can dial the emergency number when locked or even with no SIM. If there is nothing on the home screen about this (as is common on a phone with a physical keypad) then just start dialling and it *will* work (although I'm told that some phones only recognise 112, and not 999 or other emergency numbers, but I've not come across that).
ski holidays
Was told on a first Aid course last week that the reason for dialling 112 instead of 999 on a mobile was that if you do not know your exact location, then by dialling 112 they can do a GPS fix on your phone so that the emergancy services can find you.
ski holidays
Was also told that by dialling 112 if your normal provider doesnt show a signal it will automatically pick a different provider which does have a signal.
ski holidays
I've done it, as I noted above. I never lock my phone but on the other hand I forget to take it with me half the time..... Embarassed
ski holidays
AB Ski, interesting and useful, thanks for posting.
ski holidays
Elizabeth B, Excellent, I must admit I didn't try following the link when I first read this thread as I was busy finding out what it was I had already registered to - I kept all the relevant text messages on the phone in case I ever needed them despite doing this some years back. Does that make me rather sad? LOL
latest report
Super Eagle, that's right. It will even do a 112 call if the phone doesn't have a SIM in. This stuff has been in the GSM specifications since the first day. Every phone has to comply in order to get certification.
snow conditions
Am I right that the guy in the video said and meant that the registering of TEXT messages for 112 is ONLY for the UK?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mr Marmot, Yes.

You are registering with a UK service. I don't know if any other countries even have an equivalent service, never mind how you would register with it in another country.
snow conditions
Thanks, alex. I just wanted to make sure I hadn't mis-understood what he said.
snow report
Super Eagle wrote:
Was told on a first Aid course last week that the reason for dialling 112 instead of 999 on a mobile was that if you do not know your exact location, then by dialling 112 they can do a GPS fix on your phone so that the emergancy services can find you.
Nonsense, I'm afraid. 112 and 999 are functionally identical in the UK.
snow conditions
Steilhang wrote:
Super Eagle, that's right. It will even do a 112 call if the phone doesn't have a SIM in. This stuff has been in the GSM specifications since the first day. Every phone has to comply in order to get certification.
The phone might let you dial 112 or 999 without a sim card, however all the sources I can find are saying that you won't be connected -

Quote:
Most UK mobile telephone handsets will dial 999/112 without a SIM inserted (or with a locked/invalid SIM), but the call will not be connected.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/999_%28emergency_telephone_number%29

Quote:
It is not possible to call 112 without a SIM card.

http://ec.europa.eu/digital-agenda/en/112-united-kingdom
snow report
agw,
Quote:
The phone might let you dial 112 or 999 without a sim card, however all the sources I can find are saying that you won't be connected -

I've taken an awful lot of phones through the type approval process. The phone will fail if it doesn't have that functionality built in. The network operators are also required to support emergency calls without a SIM ( or IMSI more accurately ). It's not something I try out very often though!
snow conditions
agw wrote:
Super Eagle wrote:
Nonsense, I'm afraid. 112 and 999 are functionally identical in the UK.

Did the person who told Super Eagle mean to say the following? (also from Wikipedia):

It is important for the caller to be aware of their location when phoning for the emergency services; the caller's location will not be passed onto the emergency services immediately, and finding the location requires a combination of efforts from both parties. However it is possible to trace both landline and mobile telephone numbers with the BT operator; the former can be traced to an address. The latter can be immediately traced to a grid reference according to the transmitter being used, however this is only accurate to a certain wide area — for more specific traces senior authority must be acquired and an expensive operation can be conducted to trace the mobile phone to within a few metres.
latest report
Steilhang wrote:
agw,
Quote:

I've taken an awful lot of phones through the type approval process. The phone will fail if it doesn't have that functionality built in. The network operators are also required to support emergency calls without a SIM ( or IMSI more accurately ). It's not something I try out very often though!

So the EU Commission have got their facts wrong in the information they give us?

I think agw is more likely to be right than the EU!
snow conditions
Mr Marmot, if you want I can point you at the place in the specifications where this is tested...
See 34.123-1 section 13.2.2
You can pick up the pdf from here
No phone will gets it approval, and hence an IMEI, without going through these test procedures ( among many others ).
snow report
Mr Marmot, I don't know what the situation in the UK is but in the US it is a requirement that mobile phones should be locatable to within a certain number of meters ( 100 if I recall ? ) when making an emergency call. Usually this is either done with triangulation (TDOA) or via Assisted GPS. They call this service E911. I'm not sure what the current state of deployment of E911 in the states is. I know they issued lots of waivers so it's probably still being deployed piecemeal.
I do know that with the current stuff I'm working on ( femto base stations for the home ) the requirement is that the emergency services can be routed directly to your home if you make an emergency call on the femto.
snow report
AB Ski, Thanks! I only just got round to reading this and it is very useful. Even if it doesn't always work under every circumstance it provides a lot more coverage and availability than I was aware of. Definitely worth registering.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy