Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tobogganing someplace other than Jungfrau area ?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,
Going back to Wengen for the second year in a row and we only toboggan not ski or board (am i allowed in here? snowHead )
Various reasons why we only toboggan, not really important for this thread, so onto my question :

Are there any other areas in Europe or even over in Canada or the Nordics (maybe US, not sure we'd want to "yank it" though) that offer the sort of number, choice and variety of toboggan runs that the Jungfrau area does ?

We are really happy with Wengen (q the remarks about Murren being better Laughing ) as a base for our exploits all over the Jungfrau region - but we dont want things to go stale.. So the possiblity of alternative equally fantastic areas to add to our now annual trip are what we are searching for..

Does anyone have any experience of such places ? or suggestions of regions i can investigate ..I'd be all ears..

thanks v much..
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Maybe try Les Diablerets, or for something slightly different but still tobogganing I suppose try the Leysin Tobogganing park. It is good fun.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
there is a really great place to go taboganing in Austria! I went when I was younger and they had a whole slope dedicated to it in the evenings. I think it was called Alpbach! Hope it's still there! Happy sledging! Smile
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I went when I was younger and they had a whole slope dedicated to it in the evenings.

I know that one! My son smashed his ankle there, toboganning into a fence. He says he was blinded by slush (that slope is in the village and the snow was very wet). On the plus side, he got very good treatment from the surgeons in Innsbruck. wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gamer2471, The Zillertal valley has a number of toboggan runs, including the longest one (7km) on the Hainzenberg, see this
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There's a long toboggan run in Val Thorens I think, not that I've tried it - I've only skied there for one day.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Try saariselkä in northern Finland. They have a 1.2 km long track with ski bus and chair lift to the top.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Popular in Arosa Smile
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In reply to Pam w: smashed ankle does not sounds good!! In fact thinking about it all the major injuries I have ever sustained have been from skiing or boarding. I wear a helmet now, even for sledging! I can't remember the run being slushy but it was years and years ago!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I can't remember the run being slushy but it was years and years ago!

It would depend on the weather. If it's the run I'm thinking of, it is right in the village - so it's ideal for evening sledging but the altitude is quite low. We were there in early January but the snow at that level was extremely slushy. In colder weather it would obviously be harder. I think toboganning is more dangerous than skiing!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sorry - no recommendation, but lots of choice in Austria . Spend a few hours looking here... http://www.rodeln.at/
And Piesendorf seems to do a few things other than toboggan... http://www.piesendorf.at/en/erlebnisberg/funsport.html - lots of other stuff to do nearby as well I think.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If the OP ONLY toboggans that makes a big difference - some slopes used in the evenings for toboganning, after the lifts shut, are not available for toboggans during the day.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Switzerland takes tobogganing the most seriously of the alpine areas I've been to. Although I've not been, I believe that saas fee has a dedicated area for a number of non-skiing winter sports.

The sledge run in Zermatt which uses a couple of railway stations on the gornergrat as start/end points is pretty good (I've done this).

I was in Villard de Lans a couple of weeks ago, and they have a large 'parc de glisse' just outside the village which has a number of runs with banking etc. Not as much vertical as the Swiss runs I've done, which are often a couple of km at least and down summer tracks. Most are terrifying.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Grindelwald has the longest sledge run in Switzerland at 15km down from the Faulhorn

Theres a 10km one at La Tzoumaz near Verbier apparently

Theres a fully floodlit one going from Preda - Bergün which has snow making facilities and apparently a chairlift to take you back to the top, you can also user the Glacier Express train (which I have been on) to get there well worth it for the stunning scenery

but so far as I can work out the Jungfrau region probably has the most sledge runs of any Swiss resort as well as the longest
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Seiseralm in the Italian Dolomites has lots of good looking toboggan runs

http://www.alpedisiusi.info/en/winter-active/sledging.html
ski holidays
Thankyou all for your replies... i think it serves to underline my suspicion that there really are no other resorts/areas that come close to the Jungfrau Region in terms of number and length of runs. After all you would not go to a resort to ski just 1 run day in day out.. same with tobogganing.

@ pjd .... Have you been to Seiseralm yourself ?

Whilst the length of those runs are not the longest (compared to being spoilt previosuly in the Jungfrau region) it does interest me... as scenery is also high on the agenda! so looks interesting as a possible alternative.. thankyou for that link.
latest report
gamer2471, If you have a car then you would get to quite a few close together in Austria - including the 8km one at Hochwurzen near Schladming which I would recommend. But if not, then you may indeed struggle to beat Jungfrau region where you can get around by train/bus. Have you done the monster one down from Faulhorn?
snow report
Quote:

Theres a 10km one at La Tzoumaz near Verbier apparently

That toboggan run in fabulous, I've skied by it, but it goes my that same open air mountain hut we ate lunch at in Feb...plus, if I recall, there were a couple of variations and alternatives for the tobogganing in La Tzoumaz..

Plus there are some nice mountain walks in the snow there, not all super steep
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy