Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help -recommend me a ski boot fitter/the right boots

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My wife is keen to learn to ski (she snowboards at the mo) however she has large calves and when she has tried rental boots at indoor snozones she couldn't get boots to fit.
Therefore I need both any recommendations as to a specific make or makes of boots that are suited to larger calves and also a recommendation of a suitable ski boot fitter who isn't just going to palm her off with any old pair just to get a sale.
We live near to Milton Keynes so someone within a reasonable distance of there would be good.
Over to you snowheads !! Puzzled Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not sure about what boots to recommend for large calves. I had my boots fitted at Snow and Rock at the Hemel Hempstead Snow Dome and I was quite happy with their service. They spent time finding the right fit for me and didn't recommend the most expensive!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have exactly the same issue and been through a fair amount of discomfort finding the right boots. I was recommended Dalbello boots and they have been great. I got a pair with 3 buckles but would recommend 4 buckle (2 on foot, 2 on leg) boots, as my middle buckle (which sits right in front of where my ankle flexes and can cause a fair amount of discomfort if worn tight and for any great length of time). Other than the buckle issue they are fab foots for larger calves Smile

in case you don't understand what I'm trying to explain about the buckles mine are Dalbello Raya which you could google and have a look at the buckle layout Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Go and see CEM at Solutions4feet at Biceseter, one of the best fitters in the business,
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What davkt said. If you're in, or near MK, the it shouldn't be too far
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
What davkt, and feef, said. CEM in Bicester will sort you out.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Again what davkt said. Just a hop and a skip from MK. No personal experience, but very well spoken of on this forum, never read a bad word. CEM's advice on other threads looks sound to me, and no pressure to visit or buy boots from him. snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
NeddySkiGoon, not a bad word, but he does like to fit 'em snug... too snug for MrHL even after a return visit for tweaking.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Finally a thread I know something about. I too have large calves, which are a PITA when buying any form of boots. I have to get my knee high boots from Duo Boots. I struggled to find any hire boots that I could ski in, hence deciding to get my own boots.

Anyhow, in answer to your question, I have a pair of Solomon Idols, which were expertly fitted by James at Outdoor Traders in Abingdon. According to James, after his detailed analysis of my feet, ankles, stance, as well as fat calves, I also have narrow angles and high arches. These are my second pair of boots from James, the first having been more suitable for beginners, and not really giving me enough support as I ski faster and harder.

James is very good, and possibly has more availability than Colin at CEM. It takes me ~1 hour to Abingdon to MK.

What is your wife's shoe size? (I do have my original set of boots still in a cupboard that I haven't got around to selling yet).

SM.

SM.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for all the advice snowheads.
sugarmoma666, my wife is a size 6 ?? Puzzled
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Don't go shoe size to get a properly fitting ski boot! Get her feet properly measured for ski boots.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy