Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easter weekend possibility?

Poster: A snowHead
I`d guess I`m after the impossible but if I wanted to book accommodation in the Alps over the Easter weekend, scenically pretty, close to skiing and close to an airport would it still be possible? I`m thinking self catering, large apartment, 5 bedrooms (one easily accessible with ensuite) and relatively inexpensive? I`m just considering a second outing this year but don`t have anything like the budget I had for the first trip.

Smile I can dream I guess!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
CaravanSkier, I'd guess you're definitely not after the impossible, accommodation wise, but the airfares could be the killer.

www.gitedebisanne.fr

This place is just over the road from me - I've been inside, it's absolutely gorgeous. The people who have converted it, a charming young French couple, have a disabled member of the family and one bedroom is completely wheelchair accessible with accessible en suite.

It's not cheap but they do advertise weekend tarifs which might make it more feasible. I have absolutely no idea whether it is available at Easter and as I'm confined indoors with an injury for the moment, going over to ask isn't possible.

However, if you were seriously interested, I could phone them, or send one of my friends over to ask.

Have you got specific flights/dates in mind?

Not that close to an airport - but less than 2 hours from Gva.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you for your very prompt reply Pam, and sorry to hear of your injury. I hope you are not in too much discomfort.

At the moment this is just an idea, most probably an unattainable dream and I have not run it past the rest of the family. I wanted to get some ideas of cost etc. Date wise it would have to be the actual Easter weekend because of time off work etc! Although some of us could stay longer. Son no. 1 has announced he wants to get married this autumn so his holiday is as restricted as money! I will end up paying the tab!

I had a quick look at air fares which seemed more reasonable than I had anticipated and it started me thinking, however I can`t see how we could do it without hiring a large car, or two ordinary ones for transfers etc, which may be too expensive. If we have car transport 2 hours is not too bad and I am a fan of Les Saisies

The place over the road from you looks wonderful, less than half what I paid for the period over Xmas for the same week, and their weekend rates look reasonable for the accommodation on offer. I do wonder, though, weather the children's bunk beds would actually be too small for adults.

Trouble is having gone at Xmas after several years break, it has reminded me of just how much I love being in the snowy mountains!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
CaravanSkier, take a look at this site and see what it gets you: www.snowvistahotels.com I'm staying there with Queen Boudica from Feb 2nd to Feb 9th (so next weekend). Flights into Salzburg and then return transfers to/from the hotel for 20 Euro per head.

Charlie and Neil really cannot do enough for you and they have good staff, most of whom are doing their 2nd+ season. There are daily transfers by the hotel minibuses to the Flachau slopes or if you fill a bus they will take you to Flachau-Winkel where you can drop in to the Zauchensee area as well.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you Sue, I will go an d have a look.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

return transfers to/from the hotel for 20 Euro per head.

that makes a big difference to costs, compared to hiring a couple of cars!

As for the place over the road I think the children's room would be fine - they are full length bunks I think though they might be a bit narrow. Not for fat adults, maybe!

However, I think, looking at the plan, that the "5 chambres" doesn't include the double bed in the cupboard thing (lit berger on the plan) 2 places in each of the 4 rooms, plus the quadruple kids room, makes 12, and the other two are in the cupboard (in the photo with the red duvet cover and pillows). Not for an elderly or disabled person, but I thought it looked super-cosy. So if you count that there are 6 bedrooms. But of course it might already be booked for Easter!

There's a good restaurant/bar next door, but nothing else within a short walk, except the piste (piste bleu Le Planey, which you probably know, going down to the Rosieres chair lift). About as ski in/out as you'll get, but absolutely nothing for a non skier to do, except go for beautiful mountain walks. wink

Commiserations on the wedding. Sad If you have to pick up the tab Puzzled I hope you won't be expected to indulge too many of the dafter fantasies without which no modern wedding seems to be complete;-) .

I'm healing up really well, thanks and am quite enjoying some enforced rest and recuperation.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
oooh, on first quick look, is it near Maurach Eben? Thats where I put my first ever ski boots on, leather lace ups, over the New Year 1972/73, a rather disastrous school trip in many ways but good enough to make me want to go again Very Happy I`ve always wanted to re visit that area and get an adult perspective.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
CaravanSkier, no Maurach is in Tirol Laughing This is the Sportwelt Amade region just 45 minutes south of Salzburg. Maurach im Tirol is on the Acehn Pass and very beautiful it is too but the skiing is a wee bit limited. It was popular for school groups in the 70s and 80s though, along with places like Pertisau on the other side of the lake!

Look for Eben im Pongau on Google maps. I'll be able to give you a better idea of the hotel and all its facilities after my stay but I've been there quite often over the past few months and am very impressed with how everything is organised and run. Big plus is that you can pay in sterling with no currency exchange worries as well. Cool I may well do that myself next week as the pound is doing quite well against the Euro at the moment!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

the pound is doing quite well against the Euro at the moment

inspired by that I just logged in to HIFX to do a transfer, only to find the rate 1.1488, worst I've seen for some months and a lot worse than my last transfer, only about 6 weeks ago. Sad The euro seems to be bouncing back - or is it more a case of sterling sagging?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
OK thanks Sue. I will explore Eben im Pongau further
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, my ticker is showing 1.18 to the pound, down from 1.28 a few weeks back. So for me it may pay to use my English bank account to pay the hotel bill as they take sterling. The exchange rate for Euros may not be so generous!

CaravanSkier, minimum stay is 3 nights, so it could suit you for a long weekend and everything is done for you so no cooking or cleaning either! Nice TV lounge with a Sky set up I believe - I'm taking my Welsh flag with me next weekend to wave (or cry into) during the opening 6 Nations matches! Good bar as well where I can celebrate or drown my sorrows Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

my ticker is showing 1.18 to the pound, down from 1.28 a few weeks back

I never got as good as 1.28 - but the euro does seem a lot stronger, all of a sudden.
Quote:

I'm taking my Welsh flag with me next weekend to wave (or cry into) during the opening 6 Nations matches!

never say Dai. wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It looks very flexible Sue, some of us could possibly do 7 days and some the long weekend. I love that transfers are so simple and pre arranged. Looks like the Fri and Mon flights could be tricky though.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I`ve had to give up on Easter! Sad However I am now looking at places for next Xmas, 2013. Pam W whilst I am tempted by the place near you the whole getting there is perhaps more than I want to do this time. Last Xmas worked out about £1 300 each but it was a luxury holiday for us. This year, if we can all pinch the time away, will need to be considerably cheaper!

Samberg Sue how was your trip? Sadly it would appear to be full from the 27th Dec which would rule it out for us.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
CaravanSkier, Don't go unless you are one for total lack of atmosphere, pseudo- nouvelle cuisine portions for your main meal and full of the braying classes of Henry's and Henriettas. Sorry! I would not recommend that hotel to my worst enemy having had a dreadful week there.
Devoid of any atmosphere, totally English (not a local voice within 100m heaven forbid that a foreigner creeps in!). Consider yourself lucky that it is full.

Based on the UK Tour Operator's principle of doing things as cheaply as possible and keeping everything inhouse (including ski and boot hire). The staff were lovely but incredibly young and basically just seasonaires. Breakfasts were really poor, always the same, no variation at all. All the emphasis is on superficial show but lacks any substance. We nicknamed it Fawlty Towers due to the interfering and aggressive attitude of the parents of the manager(Charlie). Definitely clones of Basil (Dad) and Sybil (Mum), especially the same incredible snobbery.

Our holiday was saved by us being independent and fantastic snow but after a couple of days there we were really reluctant about returning each night, that's how bad we felt about the hotel. In fact by day 2, I was ready to leave but we stuck it out. We booked the same week next year in another local hotel I regularly use and actually ate there on a couple of occasions just to remind ourselves of Austrian hospitality and good food. I can recommend that hotel unreservedly based on more than 5 separate occasions.

Sorry for not getting back sooner, but I forgot about this post. I am highly embarrassed by my earlier recommendation as despite Charlie being very friendly in advance, it was a different situation once it was realised that we did not want or need to go along with the package on offer. Embarassed Embarassed
latest report
We only have the Friday and Monday free for Easter, but we did have 2 weeks in Feb. Still, I managed a mini break with 4 more days over Easter in Engelberg. This would have fit your requirements, and I did see a 5 bedroom place... High Altitude, and closest to home high altitude resort for us.

Got a 1 bedroom place for the 4 of us, 600 CHF all in, and next to the Titlis lift... we'll be self catered, got to stretch my ski euro into as many ski days as possible, but thrilled to be getting another 4 in...

For large chalets over Christmas/New Year, you do need to be booking now... Especially on the larger places, a lot of families want to be together and ski, I notice in the smaller places, there tends to be more availability. I've already booked for Christmas, a month ago in fact.

Some agencies don't start taking booking until the summer, so there is a second wave of availability that comes, but you need to check around and see who and when operates like that. It does take some footwork.
snow conditions
HeidiAmsterdam, luckily with an early Easter this year, the need to go high is not quite so restricting. Plenty of normal stuff that will still be fully open over the Easter weekend. however many of the Austrian resorts, for example will start closing down lifts and facilities from the Tuesday after Easter onwards. Sunday 7th April is the last day of the season for many resorts as it is simply not economically viable to stay fully or even partially open after that. The punters are simply not there in enough numbers, even if the snow is! Sad
latest report
Thanks for that honest account SamerbergSue. Its that whole possibility of things not being as you expected that makes me so nervous when I have to book things! I truly loved the freedom that came with taking the caravan. Its a good job the snow was good for you that is at some consolation.

Engelberg is somewhere my husband wants to ski HeidiAmsterdam so I`ll have a look.

Interestingly, when I booked for last Christmas it was July and indeed many larger places were fully booked and I was told, booked one year for the next. But some places were just not being advertised, and they appeared September/October time too late for us of course, but I do wonder if there is a fall off in the frequency of bookings during the summer when peoples thoughts are on summer holidays and therefore in holidays offered?

I don`t want to go somewhere where the transfers are ridiculously expensive and/or awkward. But having travelled last year with my elderly Aunt I now know she could cope with a package holiday if its the right one. She is very keen to go again and understands some of the compromises that may be necessary to keep it more budget. I am also much more open to German/Italian speaking destinations because it would be a package and I would not therefore have to deal with all the fiddly bits which I managed in French but could not in any other foreign language

Thank you all for your input, its very helpful.!
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue,

That is true, but coming from Amsterdam, I was looking close to home...and high enough, I didn't think 800 meters was high enough...Well, it's all adventure, and hopefully we'll have some nice sun, fresh air, and some snow where we can make some turns!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy