Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tr: Breche Nord du Ferrouillet

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Continuing with the plan of ticking off the couloir's of the Gresivaudan here was another one that had previously escaped my attention. You can see this short couloir (about 200 meters) as you come out of the Crolles peage and look up to the left. It hold snow very late in the year.

The couloir is curved which adds to the exposure. At about third way Chris and I put our crampons on and climbed.

a couple of skiers were descending. The climb seemed pretty easy but looking back the steepness of the upper slope was apparent

previous skiers seem to have side slipped the whole upper section of the couloir, leaving a series of steps and ruts and taking all the fresh snow back down to the hard base. Doh! It was possible to make turns in the powder on the banks but Chris stuck to the middle of the slope

squeeky bum time

as Chris said, not a place to blow a turn

we then skied some NW slopes. A foehn wind had blown snow onto these but what looked like a nice powder field turned out to be a frozen tracks just filled in with blown snow. Up on the slopes behind the wind had built up some accumulation which were purging in fairly impressive style. Care needed with these conditions. We skied down through the woods in heavy powder and were pleased to reach easier slopes back to the car.

Not the best days skiing, the large bowl with the frozen ruts is somewhere to re-explore in better conditions.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 5-03-13 23:10; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks davidof, A welcome relief from the badmin thread wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
davido wrote:
The climb seemed pretty easy but looking back the steepness of the upper slope was apparent

I'd say!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
davidof, ah! - this might be what I look up at from the office window as & when I am down working in Crolles... Long walk for short couloir, or reasonable ratio of slog to fun?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
offpisteskiing wrote:
davidof, ah! - this might be what I look up at from the office window as & when I am down working in Crolles... Long walk for short couloir, or reasonable ratio of slog to fun?

One of them anyway. The couloir is just an end really the slopes can offer great skiing but not today I'm afraid. There are more interesting couloirs but just out of site.

Just to point out to others night and day between this and the Chauchefoin route you did the other day.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm really enjoying your reports from this season
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy