Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wengen restaurants

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
It's been a few years since the last MSB in Wengen and I can't remember where the good mountain restaurants were, can anyone who has been recently remind me where's good for lunch?

Thanks Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jonm, I'm sure D G Orf will be along shortly, but in the meantime I'll just mention 2 old favourites - the station restaurant at Kleine Scheidegg is a lovely place to sit outside on a nice sunny day with great views of the North Face of the Eiger, and has a good range of dishes, including their speciality of a pizza topping on a rösti base, and (because of the large number of Japanese visitors going up to the Jungfraujoch) also has dishes like Miso soup and Udon noodles. Secondly when you've skied down the blue run from Kleine Scheidegg to Brandegg the mountain restaurant there is renowned for its dessert of apple fritters with Vanillesauce (i.e custard), but again has a good selection of other dishes.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Alastair Pink, wow, I haven't been to Wengen for aeons, and those two were my favourite then.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pedantica, I doubt it's changed much. I had a nice Steak Sandwich at Kleine Scheidegg, but seem to remember an awful lot of Gulaschsuppe (sp?). I didn't have the apple fritters though. On the whole food was not exciting, although we did have lunch and vodka martinis on the Schilthorn before we were evacuated because of the wind.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alastair Pink, thanks. I remember the one at Brandegg now you've mentioned it, I think that's where some random woman managed to ski off on my skis!

We're off for a cheeky boys weekend in a few weeks, it'll be nice to go back. I remember some great rösti with onion gravy somehere, not haute cuisine but certainly delicious, hoping I'll remember where it was when I get there.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jonm, Useful article on Wengen mountain restaurants here. I would agree with the recommendation for the restaurant at the hotel at Wengernalp, and also the "avoid" for the newish restaurant at Allmend - expensive and nothing special.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nothing much has changed. The restaurant at Aspen (in fact the entire hotel) has been refurbished to an extremely high standard. New self-serve at the top of the new Eigernordwand lift is ok.

Brandegg still hard to beat. Bahnhof at Scheidegg still good, restaurant Eigernordwand opposite similarly good and less busy. Grindelwaldblick also worth a visit.

It's all pretty similar and it's not fine dining, but somehow it does the job and I never get bored of any of these places!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Branegg for rosti and apple donuts or the other one we visited was Brandegg .....I could go on Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My favourite is Brandegg, if you are inside go to the rear for excellent table service at no real difference in price to self service (though it is polite to leave a small tip) and less draughts from the opening and closing of the doors, anything with rosti is good there as are any of the more expensive dishes, many of the railway staff and piste workers get there for lunch which is a pretty good indication of good food.

The Station restaurant at Kleine Scheidegg is good for a quick relatively (for Switzerland) cheap meal

The Station Restaurant at Eigergletscher used to have a good reputation but I've not been there in a few years, you do get great views from the balcony there and they certainly used to do excellent fruit flans

Likewise the huge Restaurant at the Top of Mannlichen, the big restaurant is self service the older building and half the outside tables are table service, great views but only average food though all properly cooked I just find it uninspiring food.

Aspen (almost at the bottom of the Mannlichen) is not bad though I think the Jagerstubli (if it's still open) just 100 M up the road is slightly better

Wengeneralp always used to be good but also pricey and often busy you may need to book tables for lunch.

Mountain restaurant food is generally fairly plain, hot and filling because that's what most skiers want, Brandegg can do some really very nice meals, the Hotel restaurants at Kleine Scheidegg and Wengeneralp can also do fancy meals but you will pay a fair bit for them.

If I were to have to pick one restaurant and only one to be allowed to eat at it would be Brandegg because they have a good sized menu and the food is generally very good though I hardly ever have the apple fritters, I prefer the apple sorbet served with Calvados !
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
D G Orf wrote:
Aspen (almost at the bottom of the Mannlichen) is not bad though I think the Jagerstubli (if it's still open) just 100 M up the road is slightly better

The Jaegerstubli is still open (or it was last season) and I think it's much better than Aspen - several other people I was with commented on the small portions and high prices at Aspen, whilst the Jaegerstubli is much cosier and has better value imv.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
D G Orf, ta.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Alastair Pink, Aspen used to giv fair sized portions, but if they have switched to small portions then Jagerstubli would be much better value wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jagerstubli and Grindelwaldblick are both good. Not a great fan of Aspen these days - 15 years ago would have been different! Didn't eat at the Eigernordwand last year but they have substantially extended the terrace and the views are outstanding of the glacier.

There are a lot of sort of bars with food on the slopes - converted old cowsheds with only outside seating - many are worth a visit for cheesetoast (aka welshrarebbit) - Kasebrot? as it is their own mountain cheese they are selling. They normally also do a wurst or two.

At Murren the Schilthornhutte - a short climb above the top of the Kandahar chairlift inside space very limited but plenty of tables outside. and, just for the views, and a bowl of the inevitable gulaschsuppe one really has to linger in the Piz Gloria restaurant at the Schilthorn for a while.

First - have always liked the rosti at the restaurant in Bort but it is a bit down the hill from the main slopes and the black down there can be alternatively icy/very slushy.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Back from a great weekend, thanks all, food was excellent at Brandegg and Eigergletscher, and wherever it was we went in Murren, can't remember the name now. Had very good dinner every night in the town, too.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy