Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sold my skis to the Devil

Poster: A snowHead
My wife suggested I take my elder two kids away for a holiday. So, the kind of skiing I normall enjoy is out of the question as I'll be babysitting. The perfect opportunity, I thought, to try something different.

So, on Monday I spent my day tearing down the slopes at Hemel on their Full Day Snowboard Lesson for £159. Brilliant. I was linking my turns by lunchtime and spent most of the afternoon scaring the hell out of everyone on the main slope. I found it so much easier to get on with than skiing. I felt like I'd been doing it all my life. Maybe spending my formative years on a skateboard (back in the 70's when skateboards were new and cool) helped.

The Devil's kept up with his side of the bargain, and last night having filed my tax return, I got the unexpected news that he (well the Inland revenue, but close hey..) owes me nearly £700.

So, what do I do with it? Obviously I need new boots, I'm flush so manky second handers from ebay can take a jump. Where best to go for these? I live in Hemel and the Snow & Rock there is a bit rubbish for stock and service. Do they need to be fitted like ski boots or do I just choose a nice colour/price combination?

Next, the board. As a beginnner I guess its not worth me buying new because I'll outgrow a board as I get better (which I plan to do quite quickly). I've been looking on ebay for the perfect set up to come along, but the trouble is that I don't know what the perfect set up would be for me. I guess I'm looking for a board around 160cm. At hemel I was on a 155 which felt fine. I'm 5'11' around 90kg. Size 9 feet.

Can someone point me in the right direction? Do all boards have to come with spaced out, gothic or naked women based graphics? Is there anything a little more cultured/refined out there?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Do all boards have to come with spaced out, gothic or naked women based graphics?

No, I've seen some with kittens, dinosaurs serious art, or you could get it wrapped.
Quote:

Snow & Rock there is a bit rubbish for stock and service

Nothing new there then. I've had good advice at the Snowboard Asylum, they sell ex demo boards. Good websites are, Bliss snowboards, Absolute Snow.
Maybe rent for the first trip?
Boots need heat fitting just like ski boots.
I'd go for a bigger board, my 5' 6" 60 kg daughter rides a 156. Oh and she says try Surfdome.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Your boots ARE the most important thing, as they can makle or break your riding, cos fee that hurt , stop you riding

Go to a good local rider owned shop/store

BBC in MK OR BORDERS BOARDS Weedon

Or TSA at MK

If needed get insole heat moulded and custom fit in sole too

And they are snowboards not boards , as boards relate to skate/surf/wind/wake/ etc

Happy riding now you have seen the light
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh I forgot to say, "welcome to the darkside" snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

No, I've seen some with kittens, dinosaurs serious art, or you could get it wrapped.

Dinosaurs? Now you're talking!

'scuse my ignorance, but what is wrapping? Like vinyl? Sounds both brilliant and awful at the same time.

I bought some boots last night, the comfiest ones I could find. Now trawling ebay for something with Dinosaurs on.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've got an old Salomon Forecast for sale if you like, 50€. In good condition, will do until you improve a bit. It's this one: http://www.skis.com/Salomon-2003-Forecast-148,156,164cm-Snowboard-Snowboard/28050P,default,pd.html so an old model. Been sitting around my house for ages, haven't got round to selling it - length is either 161 or 163, if I remember.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Since you are in Hemel, a trip to "Absolute-snow" would be a good Idea - its really internet based, but they have their wearhouse in Hemel with a little shop attached, you can have a look on the website first, see if there are things you like and then go down to talk to the people there. If you then like something, you just buy it through the website whilst at the shop (saves on delivery). If you go in the next week you can also get a further 10% off with..... 'Jan-Sales10'.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dirty Gibson, Buy boots that fit. Go to a shop and buy what fits best. As someone who comes from a ski background you might prefer something towards the stiffer end of the spectrum - they'll still feel like carpet slippers to you.

As far as board lengths go, it's mainly determined by weight and by models. Manufacturers designate a weight range for each length of each model of board. Do not buy a 'beginner' board as you will grow out of it very quickly. My advice is to look for an intermediate all mountain board, then look on the manufacturers website and check the size. Oh and if you've got big feet, Uk 10+, you might need to look for a 'wide' board.

Everyone will have their own suggestions, my first board was a 'Rome Solution' which was great. Not too stiff to start with, good all round shape, good base, and nice to progress into. If you can get one second hand go for it.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dirty Gibson wrote:
Do all boards have to come with spaced out, gothic or naked women based graphics? Is there anything a little more cultured/refined out there?

Well my talbyem's board has a rather cool phoenix on it and plenty in the shops in L2A that are just striped or even plain.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks all.

I didn't know about 'Absolute Snow'. I'll check them out. As I said, I've got some boots now and am going up to Hemel to try them out this afternoon. I know what you mean about the beginners board. I'll outgrow it quickly. I remember my skiing had plateaud until I was given some fantastic Stockli skis in Verbier once. My skiing improved leaps and bounds that week.

Lizzard, I'll PM you.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dirty Gibson, Sounds like you've got a board sourced through Lizzard, but a good source of second hand snowboarding bits is the Snowboard Club UK forum. No link because that'd be a bit uncool to link forums to forums etc etc, but the SCUK wanted/for sale board is pretty active...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
http://dinosaurswilldie.com/index.html

There you go! No idea if they're any good but they do have dinosaurs on them.
Wrapping as in vinyl, yes, Google it. You can basically put a picture of anything you want on your board.
So, buy the board that suits your ability then pimp it to suit your style.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dirty Gibson, what size feet do you have? I have some perfectly servicable Burton Missions hanging about - £25 plus p&p (@10?).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Things have taken a backwards step today. I went to Hemel this afternoon and had another 2 hours on the slope to test out my new boots (thanks to all those offering suggestions on boots but see my first post of today, I bought some yesterday). I went for a longer board, the guy gave me a 162. I had problems turning this and after about half a dozen runs went back and changed it for a 155. even with this, I'd lost my mojo and struggled all day. The snow was a lot more variable, they had the freestyle stuff set up for Friday night so the track down the middle was like one of those runs down to the town you get where the middle is ice and the edges are cruddy. Anyway, I struggled on. Its not as easy as I thought.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Its not as easy as I thought.

have a look at this - it's excellent.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Go-Snowboard-Neil-McNab/dp/1405315741/ref=sr_1_sc_1?tag=amz07b-21&ie=UTF8&qid=1359150744&sr=8-1-spell
latest report
Another vote for Neil McNab.
snow conditions
Dirty Gibson, everyone has days like that. If it's dead easy it's hardly worth doing is it?
snow conditions
Dirty Gibson wrote:
Things have taken a backwards step today.............. Anyway, I struggled on.

Likely you'll have many more days feeling the same. And if you stick at it, fifteen years on, likely still will. I know I do. Confidence is at least as important as ability, and on the odd occasion I lose the former, I call it a day.

Quote:
Its not as easy as I thought.

No it's not, but on the days it all comes together, it's definitely worth the getting there. Good luck with it.
snow conditions
Dirty Gibson, Stick at it. You'll reach a point I've heard referred to as "Click Day" where suddenly it all falls into place and make sense, you'll just be cruising along linking turns having a ball. It can happen anywhere from day 1 to day 4. Then when there's a day when it's fresh and untracked and you'll be eBaying your planks Laughing Laughing
latest report
Yep, somedays its your best friend and somedays your board will just hand you your back bottom to wear as a hat...
And if anyone ever finds a way around this that doesn't involve improving either your skills or fitness or hours of practice, you'll bet it'll have a high ticket price and sell in its thousands.
latest report
Dirty Gibson wrote:
Things have taken a backwards step today. I went to Hemel this afternoon and had another 2 hours on the slope to test out my new boots (thanks to all those offering suggestions on boots but see my first post of today, I bought some yesterday). I went for a longer board, the guy gave me a 162. I had problems turning this and after about half a dozen runs went back and changed it for a 155. even with this, I'd lost my mojo and struggled all day. The snow was a lot more variable, they had the freestyle stuff set up for Friday night so the track down the middle was like one of those runs down to the town you get where the middle is ice and the edges are cruddy. Anyway, I struggled on. Its not as easy as I thought.

I share your pain and I know exactly where you are right now.

Boarding has been one of the most frustrating, but rewarding things I've ever done. I too have been in the situation that using a different board has made my riding go to pot, we're not all riding gods that can get on any board and make it work for you.

Keep motivated, dust yourself off, and get back on that board!

When I started, my Mrs was far better than me as she'd done 2 seasons, 4 years of annual trips to Val D'Isere later, I'd say we're pretty similar in ability.

KEEP GOING!
snow report
Backwards steps can happen day to day or even from hour to hour.
As trainee snowboard jedi, says, dust off and get back on.
What he forget to say was keep laughing while you do it Laughing
ski holidays
Thanks for all the advice. Got hold of a board off a mate's mate last night and some bindings off ebay. I don't think i'll be selling my skis yet though, i'm off to St Anton for some off-pisting with 8 other skiers in a few weeks!
snow report
rogg - as DG appears to be sorted for bindings, I have a friend who is interested (he's just bought a secondhand board). I'll PM my details.

Cheers
David
snow report
sorry Rogg, I didn't reply to you, I thought you were talking about boots not bindings and I'd just mentioned that I'd bought boots. no offence meant!
snow report
I was in the same position and just went for what looked like a decent bargain, thought Id get what I was given to start with then after riding it for a few years Id realise where it was lacking and would then be better prepaired to buy a new board.

Ended up gettng a Forum Manual with bindings for around £120 which seemed like a good deal. First go with it and it didnt seem right, I had one of those days you mentioned, second go though and I loved it. Just had a week in Alp Dhuez and it now seems perfect for me.

And it has some cool graphics on it too Smile just to annoy my snowboard only mates who pushed me into this!

ski holidays
Dirty Gibson wrote:
owes me nearly £700.

just means you're first in line for a doing next year Shocked Laughing
snow report
Probably right. The taxman;s going to have me next year for sure as I've been a bit cheeky this year and have massively underpaid on PAYE.

So, here in Bad Gastein, just finished day three, halfway through the week. I'm here with two of my kids, the younger one is skiing and the older one snowboarding for the first time like me, She had had a few lessons before we came away but couldn't really link turns. We've both got on OK and are happy on blue runs but my body has taken so much abuse that its starting to affect my confidence. My butt and knees can't take any more, I think I have cracked a couple of ribs and my collar bone is severely compromised. Why am I doing this? I can ski well, I look at my avalanche stuff every morning (why did I bother bringing it?) and wish I had my skis. I'm starting to doubt my sanity.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
medlington, post-ironic snowboard graphics. Like it.
snow conditions
Dirty Gibson,
Aren't you wearing any any armour/protection?
Azzpads great for the bum & tail bone + knee guards good for those kneeling down rests. Dont forget the wrist guards too!
Mitch
snow conditions
Got some wrist guards so my wrists are the only part of me that doesn't hurt. Those padded shorts looked a bit pricey so I thought I'd tough it out. The padding all seemed a bit 'American Football' to me, maybe in hindsight it was the way to go.
snow report
Dirty Gibson,
Trust me, you'll be glad you're wearing it after a speedy edge catch on ice!!
Look at the Azzpads bum protector.........saves you back bottom+ tail bone & is pretty comfy; keeps bum nice & warm when sitting on snow too.
Forcefield Lite 1 or 2 back protector..........again, very light weight & forget your wearing it after a while.
six six one knee guards
Dainese hector wrist guards.
Crash helmet a must( vented ideally.....smith variant brim is a good un.

Most of the kit isn't too obvious when you have your snow clothes on & all the above not too hot.
Mitch
latest report
I'd echo all the protection advice above, especially the bum protection. I bought one of THESE when I started and it is brilliant, as are knee guards as they also are double function for comfort too.

Helmet too obviously but I've never got on with, or felt the need for wrist guards.
latest report
Ruffwood,
In Cervinia last April, a young girl in snowboard school took a tumble on second morning , put out both hands to stop the fall & broke both her wrists! ouch. Now I always wear wrist guards
Mitch
snow report
Ruffwood,
http://www.azzpadz.com/
snow conditions
I've been looking for a bum protector today but couldn't find any here! I do wear a helmet and also have a dakine backpack which works as a back protector. For the first time in my life I've taken a day off today. One of my kids is not very well and it wasn't a hard decision!
ski holidays
Hang in there Dirty Gibson. Hopefully you'll get a day of fresh and then you'll be hooked.
ski holidays
well, its still snowing so maybe there will be something to cushion my butt tomorrow. Its a really odd feeling being a beginner again. I stood at the top of a red yesterday and was filled with fear. It looked so steep. I wouldn't think twice if I was on skis, maybe a couple of turns to get down it... Forgot how hard a freshly bashed then frozen piste can be.
ski holidays
Dirty Gibson, Ice is no place to be on a board, really. Hopefully some fresh will get you in the groove. snowHead
snow conditions
Dirty Gibson,
have been in the same position; its amazing that good conditions for a skier can be 'not so clever' for a boarder. On a recent trip to Andorra, first 4 days were powder city & my ski buddies were moaning as it was "too much snow" ; day 4, blue skies & bashed pistes, pretty hard ...........bloody ruined it ............ski mates were in heaven Sad
As rogg alluded to...........ice is no place for a board!
Once the snow comes you 'll know your on the right ride Smile
keep at it.
Mitch
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy