Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone snow kite ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Over the years I've seen people snow kite up at the Col du Lautaret, and in the valley above Monetiere near Le Casset.

Few years back we were ski touring up the Col du Galibier and two guys kited up on snow boards and then proceeded to have a really good time getting some big air. They probably took half an hour to kite up whilst it took us three hours to skin up. I managed to get a little bit of video.

http://youtube.com/v/m3EL4gd_Y10

So last year I learnt to kitesurf on the sea, and took to it pretty fast, which has a lot to do with many years of windsurfing & snowboarding, and I now go out in strong winds / big seas and the like, just as I did when windsurfing, in fact have not been out on the windsurfer now for a long time!

So would seem the next logical step is to kite on snow!

Kites that are used are different to the ones we use on the water, so have identified a couple of kites and checked with some mates as to their suitability. Basically you use a depower foil kite on snow as opposed to the relaunchable kites we use with a bladder on the water.

My logic / game plan is to get to kite on a flattish area and then proceed to some open bowls / plateaus that I know with the end game of kiting up hill to then ski down. I might well take a half day lesson up at the Col, but will try just flying the kite first and see what it's like compared to the sea, and practice on dry land here before leaving for the mountains.

Should add that even though I use to snow board I really see the advantage of skis as being more practical, though I'll probably try both, but could well be easier at first with skis as I'm not strapped in as such.

Anyway, as the other half says, yet another way that I could end up braining myself, so watch this space Smile

So would be really interested to hear of anyone else who has given it a go ?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Weathercam, love to but not yet. The big empty area in the pass behind La Roz is purported to be a popular place with easy lift access in and out
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Weathercam, LEI kites are fine for open area's but most kiters I know use depowerable foils in the mountains as you can kill them fast and there is less risk of them dragging you over a cliff.

I'm a big fan of Ozone kites and used a 15m and 7m foil for snowkiting.

http://www.flyozone.com/snowkites/en/products/kites/
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Weathercam, as usual the tw@t known as Masque, has almost got it right, the 'big empty area in the pass behind La Roz' which is actually the Col du Petit San Bernard is a well known area for kite skiing/boarding. There is a school there and there are a number of vids posted online of kite skiing/boarding.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Had quite a few days in Wiltshire over the last 3 years mostly in strongish winds and it's a lot of fun. You don't need much snow and a helmet is probably a sensible precaution. Skis are much easier than a board IMO and any old pair will do I have used 210 GS skis which go fast, but Icelantic Nomads work better in deeper snow and are more fun to turn. Grass fields are best as a flinty arable fields will strip the bases off in one session! I use Flysurfers on snow and water. I don't have any experience of kiting on big hills/mountains. Weight restrictions on flights stops me taking more toys. Hoping it might snow once more this winter.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Dot., it's a 10m Ozone access I have my eye on - and as some on here know I actually don't need a kite to go off a cliff Sad

snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ivor Shed, living down to the usual stinking sock I see. rolling eyes
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Holy head first Weathercam! You fell off that!! What it just crept up on you?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
One glove, sort of Puzzled

Not my best mountain craft!

More pics and how I came to go over and what happened after here http://www.anotherharddayattheoffice.co.uk/serrechevalierfifthweek.html
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Brilliant read, glad your ok now..
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy